RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   YS Engines Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ys-engines-support-197/)
-   -   ys 110 break in (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ys-engines-support-197/4140150-ys-110-break.html)

bigtroutdog 04-08-2006 01:03 PM

ys 110 break in

For break in, the manual says to run rich for 20 minutes. At what rpm? How rich?
Thanks
Mike

Dave Shadel 04-08-2006 01:13 PM

RE: ys 110 break in

Put a 15x8 APC on it and run it as rich as it will run and not die when you remove the glow driver. About 2 turns open on the HS needle should be a good start. I personally would put at least an hour running on the bench before I put it in an airplane. That's 12 five minute runs with cool down in between each one. When you're finished with that, pop the valve cover off and set both valves at .003".

Go to www.ysperformance.com and set up the engine per the instructions after it's broken in.

bigtroutdog 04-09-2006 02:35 AM

What about rpm? I'm assuming you mean full throttle for five minutes?
Mike

Dave Shadel 04-09-2006 08:55 AM

Full throttle. With a 15x8 and at the setting I have suggested, it will run around 9000 plus or minus.

buenger_2000 04-11-2006 06:58 PM

Hey guys, got a quick question. I'm breaking in my 110. (what a great engine) Running it is not the problem. My question is about filling the fuel tank. I have a quick fuel going into the 3rd line into the tank. I blocked off the carb line so it just fuels the tank. I am actually pressurizing the tank doing this and it won't fill properly. Can I put a T connection by the pump outlet and have the rubber tube from that dangling underneath the cowl with a plug to unplug while I fill? Will the pressurization from the motor blow the plug out? thanks in advance

James

Dave Shadel 04-11-2006 08:02 PM

Take the fueling valve out of the system, NOW! They will develop leaks and cause you nothing but problems.

Use T fittings and fuel dots. One between the filter and the tank on fuel side, one between the check valve and the tank on the pressure side. Pull the plugs and fill thru the fuel side, the pressure side becomes the overflow. Simple.

Endor 04-11-2006 10:24 PM

So I guess I wasn't the only one to do this with my first YS.... "Jeez, why is my pump getting so hard to turn...." [:@]

buenger_2000, how I do it... 3 lines to the tank: one for fuel to the engine (through a fuel filter), one for vent (through the check valve), and one for filling.

Run the fill line out someplace and cap it off with a fuel dot. I use the Dubro Fill It fuel system [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAHE1&P=7]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAHE1&P=7[/link], since they're cheap and easy to find. Don't use a fuel valve as Dave says, as the tank pressurizes quite a bit.

Run the fuel feed line to the front nipple on the engine, making sure to put a fuel filter in there somewhere.

Run the pressure line from the engine through the check valve (arrow pointing towards tank), then to a fuel tee, then to the tank vent line. Attach another length of tubing to the tee and run that out your cowling to another one of those Dubro Fill It systems. Cap it off.

When you're ready to fill, uncap the pressure line first and relieve the tank pressure, then uncap the fill line and fuel away. You'll need both of them open to fuel, otherwise the air in the tank has nowhere to go. If you do this backwards after a flight, you'll be amazed at how far that fuel squirts.

I also make it a habit to open the vent dot after a flight to relieve the pressure from the tank when I return to the pits.

Hope this helps?

buenger_2000 04-11-2006 10:36 PM

You guys are great. Thanks so much for the info since this is my first pressurized system. What a great engine this YS is. I've almost have a gallon through it on the ground. Ran it rich...2 turns. I wish all brands of engines ran this great...but then again there wouldn't be such great engines like YS. THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!!

P.S. >>>>> THE FUEL DOES SHOOT FAR!!! WOW

bigtroutdog 04-21-2006 01:59 PM

Dave,
I Broke in engine as your instructions. It is tuned per instructions (YS webpage) Good transition, slightly rich setting, After one gallon of Power master 20/20. 8800 with 15-8 Zinger 8500 with 16-6 Zinger Pro. Seems a little low to me.
Mike

Dave Shadel 04-25-2006 09:22 AM

I don't know what's going on with this site. I answered all these questions yesterday, ans you responded to my last post for this one.

Zeeb 04-25-2006 10:11 AM

Dave,

FYI;

I saw a post from the site administrator on another thread about lost entries, it said they'd had a bad server crash and had to restore the system from a backup but lost about 15 hrs. worth of posts. He said they would try to recover the posts but didn't have much hope for that and apologized for the inconvenience. He also indicated they'd be going to better hardware and about a three hour backup scheme sometime next week trying to prevent a recurrence of the problem.

Dave Shadel 04-25-2006 11:20 AM

Thanks, guess I will wait until everyone yells at me for not answering to see if they got answers.