Community
Search
Notices
ZDZ & RCS Support Direct support from Mike Dooley of RC Showcase for all your ZDZ and RCS Engine questions.

Tech Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 07:41 PM
Sky Viper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tech Question

Do RCS/ZDZ engines run hot?

I've been wondering about the Weed Eater conversions as I get closer to building/buying my first gasser.
Every gas engine that I have seen run on a plane seems cool to the touch after running.
I've seen 2 ryobi's, a Zenoah, and 1 US Engines.
Only the Zenoah was "not" in a cowl.

Normaly on my Weed Eaters (the ones I use to actually trim the grass ) the head gets too hot to touch.

So, when I first looked at RCS' web site, I noticed that the cooling fins are considerably smaller than most Weedy's and the Zen's and US E's. Pics of other popular RC designed gas engines seem to follow the "large fin" area scheme.

I'm betting that RCS runs hotter than a Ryobi, but how much hotter?
Old 08-14-2002, 06:29 PM
Sky Viper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tech Question

I also posed this question Via email.
Mike did respond and I thought it might help to post the info here.

Here is Mike's reply.
Tom, No, RCS or ZDZ engines do not typically run "hot". They are specifically designed for model aircraft use, which means they are dependent on ram air for cooling. This needs to be taken into serious consideration when installation into an airframe. The use of baffles and an adequately designed intake and exit air openings are a must.
Thanks,
Mike
RCS