Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

OFFICIAL TRAXXAS RALLY VXL THREAD!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 07:57 AM
RobbieP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL TRAXXAS RALLY VXL THREAD!!!!!

Unfortunately, like almost every RC, theRallt is a bit out of scale (too wide relative to its wheelbase), and that tends to give the bodies an odd appearance you're referencing.

If you can get over your initial distaste, there are other options if you look hard enough and hopefully some of the aftermarket body companies will jump on the bandwagon. But like any RC there's never going to be a lot of options, so considering that Traxxas has done everyone favor of 3 different ones to start (stock, Fiesta, Mustang) it should get people started.

I was able to locate some made by an overseas body company, Kamtec (they mainly make odd or old/vintage bodies), and while the wheelbase is perfect they're about 3/4 of an inch or so too narrow. But if you can live with the tires hanging out the wheelwells on both sides their 1/12th scale bodies might work.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ki19554.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1524803   Click image for larger version

Name:	us52973.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	823.2 KB
ID:	1524804   Click image for larger version

Name:	jg14389.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	1524805   Click image for larger version

Name:	ki20388.jpg
Views:	2124
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	1524806   Click image for larger version

Name:	vt56588.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	1524807  
Old 10-29-2010, 05:18 PM
J0EC00L
My Feedback: (3)

Great investigative work Robbie. I actually like some of those bodies. Strange how 1/12 will fit the 1/16. I thought those foreign aftermarket bodies go off of mm measurements. Ie. 200mm body or 150mm body and so forth.

If that's the case, I'm certain I can find a nice M3 body that could potentially fit.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:16 PM
RobbieP
Banned

1/16th? Not a chance in the world, that's by name (number) only.

I think Traxxas just picked a number out of the air, trying to propose to the mini-market that they were making a mini or something not much larger than the other 1/18th scale cars and trucks out there. But first time I saw a Mini-Revo it was sitting next to a B44, and they were about the same size. I don't know why they ever decided to use 1/16th, as that would make them closer in size to a 1/18th when in fact they're closer in size to a 1/10th. So that's why, when I started looking around for other bodies thstmight fit the Rally,I started looking at 1/12th scale offerings. I know these ancient-design Mardave 1/12th cars run over in Europe, surprising popular, and it just so happens that the bodies that are designed for them will be close to fitting the Rally.

It's only 1/10th Touring Cars that go by the 200mm or 190mm thing, which is just the width measurement,nothing else out there adheres to that. Seems that most other cars all go by wheelbase and width, and overall length. Yes, foreign aftermarket bodies are measured in millimeters - the Traxxas Rally is 206mm wheelbase/185mm width, while these 12th scale bodies I found were 205mm wheelbase/160-170mm width.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:08 PM
gforce2448
My Feedback: (12)

Stopped by the lhsyesterday and they had some VXL Rallys in stock. Man is that a small box for $289.99. Had two blues and a silver in stock. Unfortunately Istill can't afford one but my day will come!!
Old 10-30-2010, 09:21 PM
J0EC00L

I got the RPM hubs in and installed them on my MERV first, to see how they'd fare. Not bad, not bad at all. They are lighter and tougher than stock... which is typical of the great RPM products we use The best part is they allow for adjustment of the caps that hold the pivot ball in. Very well crafted and with multiple colors avail, its a win win for those who like unique color schemes.

I also am thinking about installing the Sidewinder esc in my Rally. I want to install it in the same location as the stock esc to keep the reciever waterproof.

We'll see how it goes... photos of that to follow
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22754.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	1525759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94259.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	1525760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95703.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	1525761  
Old 11-07-2010, 02:19 AM
hiflyerx

few pics from the SEMA show of the new bodies

these were hand painted, not stickers

Old 11-08-2010, 10:14 PM
J0EC00L

Wow. I actually like those! I can't wait for more bodies to come out for the rally. By the way, the changes on the mini summit from a mini e revo... Body posts and bumpers. Well tires and body, but seriously??? Have some ingenuity Traxxas. I know you're trying to save some money and cut corners in hard times, but you can slap another 50.00 on the price tag and give us the locking differential? Locking diffs and the mini summit would have been killer. Also, who wants to go 50mph over rocks and logs? I'd gladly take a big torquey brushed motor in the mini summit than the same ol vxl system.

I bought the rally just to save trouble from buying a mini slash and converting it. I can't wait until Traxxas releases the 1/16 mini rock crawler. I know it's completely impractical with the "formula f-1 style chassis and ground breaking suspension" they claim, but it's Traxxas and they'll figure out a way to repackage the graveyard of chassis' they've built and stored into a quasi rock crawler with a brushless vxl system and extremely long rods and links to give it the appearance, not functionality, of a rock crawler. Mark my words... They'll try it.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:24 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those bodies are insanely awesome..
Old 11-12-2010, 03:32 PM
malekia

I'd like to know what types of surfaces people are running the Rally on?

I've tried a paved parking lot and a concrete parking garage. In both cases the car was too hard to control because it spun out too easily. This happened even when accelerating (straight) with the single stock battery.

The car also had no tolerance for minor uneven surfaces found in the garage. It flipped over a few times when it encountered an area where the height of the concrete slab increased.

Are others having these issues?

Ali
Old 11-12-2010, 10:10 PM
RCchomp

malekia, I have the same issues - the stock tires will spin out WAY too easily, even on deacceleration.  If you get a stickier tire, it's much more fun with MUCH better accelleration with the same drifting ability, and it doesn't go crazy when slowing down.

The problem is the stickier tires don't last long at all.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:18 PM
J0EC00L

Hey rc chomp. What type of tires did you put on your rally? I have the same issue with the goodrich tires initially, but if you heat them up... They do start to stick better. In fact, I've gotten them to burn a little giving off that wonderful burnt smell like I just did a burn out.

Maybe I should try a burn out. Place the car in front of a wall
And just light em up!
Old 11-14-2010, 12:14 AM
RCchomp

Here are the tires - a little stickier than stock, but much better IMO…

And rims to go with them..

URL=http://img153.imageshack.us/i/hpic3741.jpg/][/URL]

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNV38
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTNN0
Old 11-14-2010, 11:57 PM
merx9

Short video my brother and I made today with my rally
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc46iinZBTs

Im still working on getting better at my drifts but its coming along! Really loving the car
Old 12-04-2010, 06:42 PM
rkraider

I just got the Rally today. WOW what a fun little car. I wanted to ask the if you think getting another 6 cell nimh battery and putting it in series is faster than a single 3s lipo? Also what are some recommended hop ups?
Old 12-05-2010, 09:44 PM
J0EC00L

Great question bud. 1 3S is not like 2 nihms in parallel. It is close, but to get that 50 mph as proclaimed by Traxxas, you'll have to run 4S (2 x 2S lipos) if you only have lipos, or just get another nihm and run those in parallel. The only problem with 4S is over heating and possible damage to the ESC and drive train without proper gearing.

You can run 4S, but you have to gear it down to save your esc and drivetrain (diffs & driveshafts/halfshafts)

I too thought 3S was the same, but after clocking it on radar, low-to mid 40's was all it could hit)

4S is actually a little faster than 50, 4s gets you in the mid 50's.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:17 AM
gforce2448
My Feedback: (12)

You mean 2 nimh in series.

2 batteries in series = double the power
2 batteries in parallel = double the run time
Old 12-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Matt_M

I purchased the Rally VXL 2 weeks ago. I installed the stainless screw kit 2 days ago. I have removed the motor, ESC, and receiver. I have the Tenbol motor mount, and a large motor choice in mind that has pushed larger cars well over 100mph. What I am attempting to do right now is find an ESC capable of handling 8S. I am considering using a Castle 160A helicopter speed control, however the throttle/braking will be something non-practical for a car. It could probably work OK for speed runs, though. I currently have a pinion which is 4 teeth larger than the spur, and both being made of metal.

The car is receiving an entire overhaul, with more parts being added week by week. I have the car on the road with me traveling to the hotel rooms, and I will try to find hobby shops on the road and add parts while I can. Otherwise, I am only home on weekends to receive orders and mount parts then. I have been taking photo shoots of the car, and will be forming a video with a time-lapse theme, showing how the car evolves from stock to extreme. I will be updating the thread as I can for updates.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:47 PM
J0EC00L

Yeah Gforce. I mean series. Stupid me. How'd I overlook that one?

Series double volts, parallel doubles amps.

Good catch bud. Sorry for the mistake.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:29 PM
rkraider

Here is a video of my first time taking the Rally to an open area..

This little car is a ton of fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypNSEby6R-Q

Old 12-09-2010, 09:07 PM
jconey38

Nice vid, I can't wait to get mine. Just ordered the Ken Block one from tower, just waiting for it to be released. It probably won't see much use for a while with winter coming though.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:08 AM
Matt_M

Can someone explain the differential options for this vehicle that are out there?

I have read about changing over to a center diff.

For my project, I need the strongest diff setup possible, to keep things from ripping apart. Are the factory front and rear diffs strong, as in steel gears inside, or are there better options on the market?
Old 12-13-2010, 04:07 PM
erwink

Good evening Rally fans

Is it me or the wheels in these cars look way out of scale?

Are these 1/10 wheels and tires?

Weird
Old 12-13-2010, 05:06 PM
brianjskora

Yea i think they are about the same as the 1/10 size road... They look like 22s or 24s on the car, but i think the size is helpful , but not scale

Matt- There are no aftermarket diffs available. You can use different dif fluid for more or less slip, but there are no "stonger" diffs. There is a center diff you can install which helps control wheel spin and turning, but it will have less top speed.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Kelvin1000

This car fits any standard 1/10 sedan tires.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:02 PM
nostramaiden

what do you think of the ken block fiesta from traxxas as a starter car for some one just getting into rcs i dont really know a whole lot but ive been a ken block fan for awhile and i wana get started in the rc hobby and was looking at purchasing one also does anyone know where i can get some thing like his 09 subaru thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.