Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

enough power

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 10:58 PM
gnirwin
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default enough power

I have a Sig Rascal C I built for electric flight and I want to convert it to fuel. Is a Norvel 049 AME enough power. I have this motor on hand and wouldn't have to buy another. This plane is set up with just rudder & elevator controls so I want is nice and easy flying . I don't need an acrobat. I have other planes for that.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:22 PM
cbaker76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: enough power

the .049 should be fine for cruzing but if you want to be a little more sporty i would go with a norvel .074 big mig
Old 02-16-2004, 07:10 PM
Lynn S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give it a try and see how it works.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:30 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The one site I found gives a weight of 18 to 20 oz but does not say the wing area.

If you can keep it under the 20 oz they mention and if there's 270 sq inches or more of wing area it'll fly fine and be quite capable of moderate aerobatics. This weight and size is very typical of the 1/2A Texaco models. Those class models are held back by using an oversized prop to enhance the duration of the engine run off the limited fuel they are allowed to carry. But if you put a 6x3 on the Cox engine they use they can really get up and dance. No 3D stuff you understand but I think you'll be surprised at how capable the Rascal can be with a strong 049 like the AME IF the demon enemy WEIGHT can be kept under control. If you can keep it to 16 oz then it'll be giggle city every flight.