Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

1/2a Models in Magazines

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2a Models in Magazines

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 12:22 PM
ChopperMike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/2a Models in Magazines

But I didn't see the Name Ace Mach None
I found this site yesterday.

http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/

They've got plans in PDF format of several 1/2A's including the Ace Pacer and Mach None as well as Goldbergs' Jr. Skylark and Jr. Falcon.

I just re-discovered Cox engines, even though I've been flying electrics for the past 3 years or so. I'm not sure what but something got me thinking about the old days of Cox engines and control line back in the late sixties. I'm in the process of building several Brodak C/L models and plan to build another Pacer or Mach None (I had one when I got into RC in the late eighties).

I've been buying Cox engines at a feverish pace, I have quite a few TD's and reed valve Cox engines. I even bought a 50's vintage Fox .35 Stunt. I had one back in the late 60's although I don't believe I ever built an airplane for it or ever flew it. Not sure what ever happened to it.

I also came in possession of an Airtronics Q-Tee which I plan to finish up and fly with a QRC. Never thought I'd go back to slimers, and I don't have any plans to fly bigger glow RC although I am going to buy a new Fox .35 stunt for my Brodak Flite Streak.

Mike
Old 11-30-2009, 01:26 PM
gittarpikk

Hi Mike

I kinda went the other way....ie from the slimers to electrics...been building the heck outta old planes like the Aeronca Chief, (several sizes- scale up, scale down) off the Comet plans and planes like the Skampy and Rumplestadt.I even redesigned the baby Flite Streak for electric and created a monster of a blistering fast little plane that will outmaneuver a bat yet slows to a trot and refuses to fall out of the air.

Created many nice designs I hopefuly will be producing or having them produced....so I've been busy on the lectric side, however, I hope to resume my almost completed Mach None I built in original balsa except I am using a Norvel .061 , aileron, elev, rudder, flaps and retracts and should come in AUW less than my original Mach None I had in 1974 which I found my original 110 negative for (may post it if I can get it converted to digital)

Been thinking about that Mach None lately....never ran the Norvel, but I hear they were faster than the Cox's best...but I believe they are a tad heavier and with the muffler, have a somewhat larger frontal area.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:55 PM
ChopperMike

Yeah I started converting to electric about 5 years ago, being fully electric for the last 3. This last year I built a 1/3 scale Spacewalker powered with a DL-50 gas engine. Like I said, something happened and the next thing I know I'm buying a bunch of Cox engines and building a bunch of control line models. Maybe it was looking through the dozen or so MAN and Aircraft Modeler magazines I have from the sixties that a co-worker gave me.

It occurred to me that a big part of my modeling past is all but gone. Go into a hobby shop and ask the young kid that works there if they have any control line stuff. You'll get a blank stare. They don't even know what it is. But then, why would they? There's no profit in control line for the most part unless there's a large following for reliving the past. For the cost of C/L you can have a cheap RC model. Of course the quality's not going to be the same, comparing a balsa C/L kit and engine to a cheap, throwaway RC, but hey. Nobody thinks about that. So unless your dad flew C/L as a kid and gets you into it so he can relive the past, you'll never know it existed. It's really sad when you think about it.

The owner of the local hobby shop who I've known since I was a kid buying Cox engines, RTF Cox C/L airplanes, CG C/L kits etc, told me that it's in our original lease agreement with the county that we can have a C/L circle. And I'm going to do my best to revive the sport of C/L flying!

That kind of morphed into "I think I'll build some 1/2A RC too!" Like someone said a ways back, this is the time to fly 1/2A RC with the lightweight equipment available. My first 1/2A RC models were much heavier that they'll be today.

Mike
Old 11-30-2009, 02:03 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Slimers, lekkies, it's all good.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:09 PM
gittarpikk

Exactly....just cuz I'm not currently flying a nitro, doesn't mean I don't enjoy them.....but a foamie...with a tad strenghtened motor mount and a few coats of acrylic and polycrylate make good 1/2 a flyers..but same doesn't mean I enjoy the noise or cleanup either...each has advantages....and each are appreciated in different ways.
ORIGINAL: AndyW

Slimers, lekkies, it's all good.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1/2 CL stunt, my Cheap Thrill in the Dec. 1998 Model Aviation.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:27 PM
logair

Just so happens I am building for a change of pace and a little nostalga a .020 rudder only plane that appeared in Flying Models April 1958 issue. It is a cute little all sheet balsa plane named Guided Mite. I dropped MAN many years ago because of the excess advert. and lack of nuts and bolts model airplane stuff. I think Flying Models is the best mag. on the market Of course AMA's model aviation is a must. I will try to insert a picure of the Guided Mite. Logair
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68821.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1393707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51714.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1393708  
Old 07-16-2010, 04:12 PM
D.J.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi All
I just wanted to share what looks like a great plane for a Cox.049 and an Ace foam wing (or replica) .I bought this magazine in 1975 and always wanted to buildTHEUGLYBUG but never did . I love the old .049 engines and have not flown one since 1972 (badly).I want to get back into it and I still have the planes I flew then . A Cox pt-19 and aSuper Stuntmaster built from a Scientifickit (badly). I never flew well or for more than about 20 seconds but I had a great time . I nowhave a large Electristar that I put together from parts and will either fly or sell by the end of the summer . ....... D.J.

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/6...rtmodelerb.jpg

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5034/miniuglybug.jpg

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/5213/uglybug2a.jpg

Old 09-19-2010, 12:59 AM
D.J.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mechanix Illustrated January 1951 . I love sea planes .This is a scan of the first page of the article .

Name:	Us53936.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1503228  
Old 11-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Steve Westphal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am looking for the pull out plan for the Shoestring plan that was in the May issue of M.A.N.(Model Airplane News) Please contact if anyone has the issue or the plan. I found the construction article on line but need the plans. My younger brother and I are trying to get together a .020 pylon racing league going. Probably go with wing area of about 175 sq. in. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have some scaled down plans for a Rivets, a Bonzo(I think it's Bonzo and not Gonzo)and a couple of other planes. With some tiny 2.4 radio gear, the .020(TeeDee) with or without throttle and light balsa these things would scream. I have some .010's and will go there next. Since they only really need 2 channels the weight would be minimal. Gotta have good hand/eye and quick reaction times(I use my younger brother for that!!!!) I think if would be a blast and cheap too. Other than wing area, there would be no rules!! C'mon guys...gimme some advice on this.

HB
Old 11-07-2010, 11:41 PM
Mooney_driver

Take a look at this build thread:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9604289/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm
particularly post #24
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9698602

Ithink you will find that Doxilla had what you are looking for already out there. Look at his attachments.

Ihope that was what you were looking for.

The Shoestring is a great model candidate.

Good luck.

ORIGINAL: Steve Westphal

I am looking for the pull out plan for the Shoestring plan that was in the May issue of M.A.N.(Model Airplane News) Please contact if anyone has the issue or the plan. I found the construction article on line but need the plans.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:49 PM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Larry Rice of Blackhawk Models has been putting together a "HALF A FLYER" magazine. He's been emailing the first issue to people for free and was planning to put it up on the Blackhawk Models website too. Control line flyers at Stunthanger seem to like it. I haven't seen it myself.

I think this thread should be accessible to non-members: http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=20046.0
Old 04-11-2011, 08:04 PM
ruttjumper1

Looking for Breezy plans. Published between 1970-75 or so.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:39 PM
skyguy277

hey guys giving away my parkzone corsair if anyone is interested here is te link to youtube for it

http://youtu.be/Gn9OGq_FqZI
Old 10-25-2011, 02:32 AM
perttime

ORIGINAL: perttime

Larry Rice of Blackhawk Models has been putting together a ''HALF A FLYER'' magazine.
Here's a sample.

Subscriptions from [email protected]

4 issues a year. Electronically as PDF files it should still be US$ 8 per year. Print is US$ 20. Additional postage outside USA.
Same for first four (back) issues plus the next.

(and No, I'm not on Larry's "staff")
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Xu62408.pdf (1.79 MB, 473 views)
Old 02-16-2012, 03:21 AM
proctor

Hi If you go to www.outerzone.co.uk you will find four versions of Shoestring including the one you
want,
This site is an amazing resource for free download of almost any plan you could think of.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:30 AM
proctor

Yes found it on outerzone, per post 65, a biplane by Ken Willard.
Do your search, click on name and download as easy as that.......Next!
Old 03-27-2012, 05:29 PM
Iflyro

Hi ya'll I learned to fly in 1967 with testors skyhawk, my next plane was a midwest whiz kid.that was a great flyer.here in lies my problem, i have two midwest foam wings and one foam stab all new from an old bipe kit. what i like to find is a set plans for the whiz kid and the Cessna 150.RCM no longer list these plans. I am now going to electric with old 1/2 A planes.There many older 1-3 channel planes that can be built with flat instead of the gold called balsa, because of COPD i can't do wood and dope any more. 
Old 04-10-2012, 07:04 AM
RobinB66

i have a cox fairlane im rebuilding the tail section on it has a .049 blackwidow that i stuck on the tank in place of the original also has a rjl glowplug conversion head. Also have a guillows cessna 172 and pt 17 till thinking whether or not to electrify or nitro. If Ican figure out how to make copys of the plastic parts cowling wheel pants and the like a may build both. Also looking for a cophy of the plans for the lazy bee 049 version hav a copy of the speedy bee plans later cox rules
Old 02-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Antares100
My Feedback: (12)

First of all, thanks to everyone who has been contributing. It is great to see all these old models. As a "review" I purchased the Bumble Vee as a kit in the 80's. I was trying to see if I could build a kit in a weekend, and I always liked V-tailed planes. I used a Cox .049 (not sure if it was a Babe Bee or Golden Bee), I must have built it a bit heavy (I was still new to building) because it just stumbled along on it's own sweet time. Cool plane, though. I purchased the plans through RCM but bought a kit on eBay a couple months ago when I saw it just to save time cutting parts. I will probably build a couple with different modifications just to see what improvements, if any I can make.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:54 AM
BrightGarden

Howdy All - keep this thread alive!
Also rediscovering 1/2A - electrics were the gateway. I just grew up and learned to bring windex and towels with me to take home clean planes. I guess we're like salmon, they get imprinted with the stream they hatched in and we return to the whiney whiz of the 1/2A. Electrics are OK but we need our fix on the sweet smell of nitro.
Downloaded a few plans - pacer, mach none, shrike. However, I am on a path to build a Cessna Skymaster.
broke out the old engines and on a binge of used ones here, RCGroups, eBay, and Craigslist.
Having a great summer rediscovering!
Best,
Poughkeepsie Pete

PS
What is this?
Here's something I impulse-bought on eBay -
Anyone with a read on its name and origins (control line):

Name:	2014-07-27_15-40-16_HDR.jpg
Views:	3788
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	2017772   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-27_15-41-06_HDR.jpg
Views:	3281
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	2017773  
Old 07-27-2014, 12:11 PM
Pond Skipper

Inspired by the Pitts plane or perhaps the Cox Lil Stinker .020 / Mini Stunt few other names given over time - this one should move out reasonable fast. I wipe down with a rag and put them in a plastic shopping bag to avoid any drips in the car then inside the comfort of my AC home I clean them up further. I fly 1/2A at a local park always plenty of interest by spectators.

What is the wing span?
Old 07-27-2014, 08:20 PM
AndyW

Well, that brings back memories. I picked up the Pilot Models version of the Pitts. over 15 tears ago. I wasn't happy with the non scale ailerons so I pretty much redid the plans and built it from scratch. I also replaced the plastic cowl and wheel pants with custom made, fiberglass units.

Originally, it flew with a stock, OS Max .10 and it was OK but not really as powerful in the air as was the full size.

So,,, some 7 years ago, I upgraded the OS .10 from a ferrous engine to ABC using a .15 piston and liner from, as I recall, a Hornet .15 Which made it a short stroke, .13, or so.

On an APC 7 X 3 and 25% fuel, at 21K, it ought to bring that little Pitts to a whole new level. Well, that brings back memories. I picked up the Pilot Models version of the Pitts. over 15 tears ago. I wasn't happy with the non scale ailerons so I pretty much redid the plans and built it from scratch. I also replaced the plastic cowl and wheel pants with custom made, fiberglass units.

Originally, it flew with a stock, OS Max .10 and it was OK but not really as powerful in the air as was the full size.

So,,, some 7 years ago, I upgraded the OS .10 from a ferrous engine to ABC using a .15 piston and liner from, as I recall, a Hornet .15 Which made it a short stroke, .13, or so.

On an APC 7 X 3 and 25% fuel, at 21K, it ought to bring that little Pitts to a whole new level. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xseov35rRQM

Just need to find a smooth runway for it, it cartwheels on grass.

Name:	Kac-1 007.jpg
Views:	2995
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	2017906  
Old 07-28-2014, 06:58 PM
BrightGarden

Originally Posted by Pond Skipper
What is the wing span?
Hey Pond Skipper - the WS is 13.75".
In the last month I came across a reference with photo, name, and company but you know what happens when you don't write it down right away - couldn't follow the breadcrumb trail back...

I think it was built by a child - there are a couple of things I have to do to get it flyable but it has been flown. A few places where there were fixes.
The cool things was that I didn't bother to clean up the engine - I just fired it up and it ran fine.

Cheers,
Peter
Old 07-28-2014, 08:42 PM
Pond Skipper

Great!

The span will support the engine just fine should be a good flyer in theory. Did that grey prop come with the engine if so an indicator of what the original owner was looking for apparent thrust for some steady and sure footed loops and wing overs pulling strong through the maneuvers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.