Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight RC Yak 54 - 74 inch!

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Extreme Flight RC Yak 54 - 74 inch!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 08:24 AM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight RC Yak 54 - 74 inch!

i used a hatch latch on mine, from bvm models, i loved it, i did that not even seeing the 87 thread you mentioned
Old 07-16-2006, 08:37 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Yeah, guys have been using them for years on many types of planes... I was just commenting that after several of us had "field tested" the one on the 87" as well as the one I installed on Chris' electric conversion 87" Yak... he really seemed to like the convenience it offered.

By no means did I design a latch... Just maybe played a small part in Chris coming to the conclusion that it might be a more attractive option than the 4 splelunking screws...
Old 07-16-2006, 08:42 AM
diamondave

well done then, i had the 68, i dont know if the 87 was the same, but i didnt like trying to feed the screws through the fuse like that, i gave up on the front ones all together cause the canopy went far enough under the cowl, anyway, i like the hatch latch idea too
Old 07-16-2006, 08:45 AM
diamondave

To get an idea of what the EVO 26 might do... check out http://www.qqaircraft.com

Quique just finished testing it in his 73" Yak... full report and video on his site...

I suspect it will be similar in the EF 74" Yak...

reply: i wasnt all that impressed with that, i thought it would have been better, i had the 160 on my 68 and loved it, that evo set up seemed a bit tame, especially at 5000' where i am at, glad i saw that before i invested in the 26, i think it still would be fun to fly, but not enough power for what i would idealy want
Old 07-16-2006, 09:30 AM
Maudib

I agree whole heartedly... I think Quique was pretty clear in his report that this provided good IMAC performance... and makes for a great entry level gas setup.

For anyone wanting 3D performance... this just isn't gonna cut it. Especially at 5000 ft...

Again, if I was gonna put a gas engine in this plane... it would be the ZDZ 40 FAI (which isn't wuite out yet... but soon) The new ZDZ's are 2cell lipoly friendly, so I'd use a 1320 on a basic switch (and Smartfly Fiber Optic Ign. Kill) Then maybe a 2 cell 2100 on a reg for the electronics...

Old 07-16-2006, 11:52 AM
AcroJo
My Feedback: (1)

On the 3W 28i, I used a 2 cell 900 mAh LiPo on ign. 30 minutes of hard flight uses app. 1/4 of its capacity. 1320 is a safe bet, but the 900 brings you down to 1.6 oz. in weight compared to the 1320. Its on the verge of splitting hairs, but every ounce adds up quick. The 2100 is a safe bet as well. Pushing five JR8411s and one NES2721 on throttle with the same results. 30 minutes uses app. 1/4 capacity. Joe
Old 07-17-2006, 03:46 AM
Mike_T5

Well, my best flyer yet is my X-Tech Giles, and my fave plane was to be my DP Extra, but unfortunately, this plane just doesn't measure up to my expectations. She weighs in at 14.5lbs, despite my Laser 2.40 twin glow engine only weighing 1160grams. But, I reckon all is not lost, as I love this amazing engine, and feel it would be ideal in the ExtremeRC Yak!?

Saw the ExtremeRC Yak at the Woodspring Wings Airshow, and this beautiful Yak was in the same display slot as my X-Tech Giles (Toby Black flying it, not me). Well, the Saturday afternoon flight slot was amazing!... We had my Giles, the ExtremeRC Yak, an Obsession, a PA Edge, and another plane, all in a hover, and all real close together!!! Unfortunately, on the Saturday eve, everyone was just hucking around with all sorts of planes, and the Yak was just pulling out of a hover, when the glow plug blew out of it's OS 1.60... so it got decked a bit hard, and was unflyable! Had a real good look around this plane on the Sunday though, and was seriously impressed with all the thought that has gone into it's design. Have now decided that one of these will definitely be the next home for by Laser 2.40 twin, which will be lost inside that huge cowl, give perfect lateral balance, and have bucket loads of power for dragging the Yak out of hovers! As soon as these hit British soil... I'm getting one!!!

Mike.

Old 07-17-2006, 08:31 PM
Tor

That looks awfull lot like the Hyperion 74" Yak 54, that has been out for months now. Even uses the same latch mechanism.

Identical?

Old 07-18-2006, 02:22 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a Hyperion 74" YAK? I did not know ... anyone got the website? I did not see anything on that at aircraft world.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:33 AM
flat spin

THe Hyperion Yak is a direct copy of the original 68 in outline. The inards of the fus are very similar to a point because they are made in the same factory, however the rear of the fus is one piece balsa with lightening holes rather than stringers, nowhere near as light. The inside of the wings are dramatically different with carbon rods on the main spar and a modified wing section to account for it's greater size as well of course as being supplied with plug in stab with carbon tube and ofcourse all the other bits of carbon on there. Robart hinges are included on all surfaces and there is DuBro hardware throughout.

The Hyperion Yak is very nice and there are some obvious similarities but they are very different animals to say the least.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:37 AM
flat spin

Tianci, the Hyperion Yak is a small electric 55" or therabouts. The comparison is more to do with the similar CNC techniques used.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:13 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aaaah ... the 40 sized one ... OKay ... I was wondering when they had a 74" one
Old 07-18-2006, 07:34 AM
Tor

ORIGINAL: flat spin
Tianci, the Hyperion Yak is a small electric 55" or therabouts. The comparison is more to do with the similar CNC techniques used.
Hyperion makes the Yak 54 in two sizes 55" and 74". I know this for a fact since I've flown a freinds 74" Hyperion Yak about a month ago. I don't remember how the rear of the fuse looked, but I'll take some pictures tomorrow when I'll be flying with he who has it. The Hyperion Yak also features full carbon wing and stabtubes (also plug-in stabs with with servos mounted in the stabs).

To me, it looks like the exact same animal
Old 07-18-2006, 07:39 AM
Ian.W

typical, ripped off before the real one is releaced
Old 07-18-2006, 07:40 AM
Tor

Heres a review on a Norwegian site (text in norwegian though), lots of pics though.
http://www.modellflynytt.no/articles.php?articleId=165
Old 07-18-2006, 07:45 AM
Tor

ORIGINAL: Ian.W
LOL - you not going to makes us believe that once again? Why not comes clean a say you purchased the rights to have a batch made of those at the Hyperion factory, to satisfy demands for the 68"?
Old 07-18-2006, 07:48 AM
Ian.W

ORIGINAL: Tor

LOL - you not going to makes us believe that once again? Why not comes clean a say you purchased the rights to have a batch made of those at the Hyperion factory, to satisfy demands for the 68"?
because this plane has been in design and testing for over a year now

and anyway, this is an EXTREME FLIGHT RC YAK thread, if you wanna chat about your hyperion, go do it some place else[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 07-18-2006, 07:54 AM
Tor

Hmmm, at the Haikong factory it seems:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_37...tm.htm#3748182
Old 07-18-2006, 07:56 AM
Ian.W

and anyway, this is an EXTREME FLIGHT RC YAK thread, if you wanna chat about your hyperion, go do it some place else[sm=thumbup.gif]
read it ^^
Old 07-18-2006, 07:58 AM
Tor

and anyway, this is an EXTREME FLIGHT RC YAK thread, if you wanna cry about your hyperion, go do it some place else[sm=thumbup.gif]
Who's crying? [&:]

This is a public board, if you don't want discussion about the model and similarities with other models or even comparison - go buy an advertisment instead. No one can discuss it, and you get people to click directly to your site instead.

Your statement is like writing that you can discuss ZDZ in a DA thread.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:27 AM
Maudib

These 74" planes are likely built in the same factory and are nearly identical. You will see some differences in hardware and design.

So what? Buy what you want... from where you want. If you think Hyperion is the brand you want... don't let anyone stop you... buy two of them.

It won't make one iota what brand 74" you buy... EF's will sell out in the U.S. and his overseas partners.

There isn't anything more to say on the subject... Debating a subject based on conjecture simply shows lack of intelligence and an abundance of ignorance.

Old 07-18-2006, 08:58 AM
Tor

As you said Maudib, just merely pointing out they are identical.

I don't know why some get so defensive, then again maybe I do. Maybe it's because of the past and always claiming to take the high road and every one else stealing. And continuing to do so:

Well, if you walk on eggs, don't hop...
Old 07-18-2006, 09:19 AM
Maudib

The EF line/company has developed some fierce brand loyalty... and let's face it... you didn't make your post with the intention of helping anyone...

If you ahd... you might better have phrased your post like this... "If you don't want to wait until the EF planes are in stock, you might want to consider the Hyperion Yak... which seems nearly identical and are probably made in the same factory."

Truth is, you really don't know who designed what, and how the factory came about making the Hyperions or the 74" Yaks. And to take a stance on a subject in which you only have hearsay (and worse yet internet hearsay) just doesn't make sense.

All of this has been "water under the bridge" for some time... EF has moved on, cut his losses in some situations and made the best of other less than desirable situations.

Your post, without any warrant, simply tried to imply that EF has copied the Hyperion or at the least is having the factory put his name on the same plane... I can tell you with the utmost confidence that EF's 74" Yak is based on his design and testing. Noone's claiming that the Hyperion is a copy of the EF, no one is crying foul... that is until your insinutation called for defensive response from loyal followers.

Since I doubt you have inside information as to the accuracy of anyone's claims, it's best to leave these posts go unwritten... and focus on the good...

Fair enough?

Old 07-18-2006, 09:47 AM
EXTREME FLIGHT

Perhaps a bit of a history lesson is in order here:
Mrs. Liu and Bear, the owners of Haikong are dear friends of mine. They have been in the ARF busiess as long as anyone. They both worked for The World Models manufacturing ARFs. The World Models was one of the very first large scale producers of ARFs in China. Both Mrs. Liu and her husband Bear worked their way up from assembly line workers to management postions. They were lured away from TWM by Sammy Lee of Kinwah Industrial (now with Aviation Models) with promises of better pay. After many months of working for NOTHING Mrs. Liu left Kinwah and went to work for P&D Products, also known as 2KRC. Under the management of Mrs. Liu, P&D Products was producing some of the best ARFs in the business. This is the era in which the 68" Yak, Mini 3D, .40 Profile, and 87" Yak were built. Being the highly ambitious couple that they are, Bear and Mrs. Liu pooled their resources and set out to start their own factory, Haikong. P&D really suffered after the departure of Mrs. Liu and QC became almost nonexistant, at which time we ended our relationship with them. Some of the desings being worked on at P&D were taken by Mrs. Liu to be manufactured at her new facility, 2 of these being our 68" Yak and 87" Yak. We were approached by Haikong to have aircraft built for us. The first plane they built for us was the Yak-55SP-E (The original shipment of these planes was first manufatured by P&D). The quality of these aircraft exceed that of the original and impressed us here at Extreme Flight. We were also sent a sample of the 74" Yak, which was based on our 68" version. We assembled the aircraft and were very impressed with its flight capabilities. We were at a point where we needed to make a decison about our next glow release. We decided to go with the 74" Yak over the 68" Yak due to the abundance of engines on the market to adequately power this size aircraft. We made a few changes to the 74" Yak including the addition of the canopy latch, a lightened tail group and a few other small things we had learned from customer feedback regarding the 68" Yak. The result is the 74" Yak we will be releasing.
It is no secret that Haikong also produces aircraft for Hyperion. Several samples of the 74" Yak were sent to various companies at the same time we received our initial sample. Some sales were made to a few companies before we received the exclusive on this product. We allowed Haikong to honor these sales, but this is now our exclusive product, under contract.
The ARF industry is a very competitve and complex creature.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:15 AM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

That should shut some people up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.