Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Engine for Funtana X50

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Engine for Funtana X50

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 11:10 AM
Chocks_Away

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine for Funtana X50

Also, the Tribute 36 is designed to be run on a .36 motor, such as the evolution, as it is smaller and lighter than the X50.

You could always try it I suppose, but I doubt you'll be very happy

IMO, The X50 is physically more like a 60 sized plane, which is also backed up by Horizon using/reccomending the power 60 brushless outrunner if going electric with it.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:45 AM
Chocks_Away

ORIGINAL: kwboost

................. Best thing is airframe and engine under $300.

Lucky for some

Live here in the UK and the airframe on it's own will set you back $300 !

My whole X50 with radio, engine etc, stands me at the equivilent of $750 !

Good job I didn't buy a Saito for it, otherwise it would have been more like $850 !!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-18-2007, 12:26 PM

My battery only weighs in at 7 oz.....using a Die Hard there?
Old 01-18-2007, 01:17 PM
micool72

Ok had maiden flight today with the 90 fs up front flew fantastic very clean balanced nice with battery at rear only problem was after third flight hovering about 10 metres up got dead stick got it down slightley heavier than normal, you guessed it landing gear ripped clean of the fuse left wheel went into wing and landing gear broke bottom fuse in three places had seen warning about the landing gear should have acted then any way will be rebuilt by saturday and will be stronger than before going to put a blue star under each wing to hide the repair on the wing wont even notice it bigger piece of ply for undercarrige mount as well changing prop from 13x8 to 12x6 cause thats what i have at the moment will see how it goes over all love it got the x100 on order
Old 01-18-2007, 01:30 PM
kwboost

chocks away,
That sucks.[&o]
Old 01-18-2007, 03:00 PM
Chocks_Away

ORIGINAL: kwboost

chocks away,
That sucks.[&o]

You bet it does [:@]

We get ripped off for absolutley everything here [:'(]

Tax on top of Tax on top of Tax !!!!!!!!!!

If it wasn't for the amount of Tax on everything, your wages would go a long way !
Old 01-18-2007, 03:04 PM
Chocks_Away

ORIGINAL: micool72

Ok had maiden flight today with the 90 fs up front flew fantastic very clean balanced nice with battery at rear only problem was after third flight hovering about 10 metres up got dead stick got it down slightley heavier than normal, you guessed it landing gear ripped clean of the fuse left wheel went into wing and landing gear broke bottom fuse in three places had seen warning about the landing gear should have acted then any way will be rebuilt by saturday and will be stronger than before going to put a blue star under each wing to hide the repair on the wing wont even notice it bigger piece of ply for undercarrige mount as well changing prop from 13x8 to 12x6 cause thats what i have at the moment will see how it goes over all love it got the x100 on order

Very unfortunate that, hope it's all better & stronger soon.....

I wouldn't try stuff like that with a new engine at that altitude till it's broken in, set up properly, and been proven to be reliable enough to try it, it's not worth the risk.....................as you found out []
Old 01-18-2007, 04:51 PM
powerlines

6 LBs... GEEZZ!! they have in the book and on the box 4-5.5 lb.. Why are the always soo far off.. It was looking good till (like you said) put the batteries in.. The batts we are talking bout is the LIPO.. 4000 mah.. I will try it.. Like I said. It might not hover but It will fly. I have seen a few others do electric... But I tell you. It is not made for it.. My friend just got the Twist 60 NOW that was made for glow or ELEctric.... It was nice. Had the stand-offs and the battery hatch... I just love the funtana.. This will make all 3 for me.. Mini, 50 and 100.. I did have the Old yellow mini and the 90S.. I like the new ones ALOT BETTER!!!!

WAY more stable and east to fly..

LATER and thanks guys..
Old 01-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Chocks_Away

ORIGINAL: powerlines

6 LBs... GEEZZ!! they have in the book and on the box 4-5.5 lb.. Why are the always soo far off..
Mmm, don't they just always do that [&:]

But WHY do they LIE !!! [:@]

If they didn't tell porkies in the first place, we'd be far less likely to make errors picking out an engine for it, if we knew the realistic actual weight of it !
Old 01-18-2007, 05:26 PM
powerlines

U ain't kiddin..
I can't wait to get it ready. The wings and tail were busted when I opened the box and I have to wait for them to get in.. LOL.. I have it ready as far as I can go anyways..

LATER
Old 01-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Chocks_Away

I take it that you are waiting for replacements to come then ?
Old 01-19-2007, 04:23 PM
Capt. John

ORIGINAL: 9757

My plane went home in more pieces than it came to the field in the other day....wife left me her car and took the van I came in..........
Dude, you going to fill us in as to what happened?[]

I've lost 4 nice planes before their time, makes me think that even tho I try to learn something from every flight, it's the crashes that teach me the BIG lessons. Maybe you have a good lesson we can all learn[sm=49_49.gif]??
Old 01-19-2007, 07:56 PM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

Well, i got fed up with this stupid perry pump and pitts muffler combo I decided to go back to the stock muffler. The problem i had was the pitts didn't have enough backpressure. HS was almost useless and i was getting about 800 rpm's less that standered. Fearing that clogging one outlet would rob the engine of power i baught a perry pump. That stupid pump wouldn't let that engine idle forcing to much fuel on it. Causing it to the idle to always apear lean. Anyway, i took the engine out of the airframe and mounted it on my test stand with the stock muffler. The engine came to life. Went from 8800 to 9100 and that was running rich with my apc 16-4w. I can't wait to really lean her out. The problem is that the stock muffler doesn't clear the bottom of the fuse so i baught a muffler extension that will extend the muffler from the engine. I hope there will be know ill affects from using it but we will see. With about 4 ounces being added to the front in muffler i think that i need to start tacking away some weight.
I am not tacking away my 2-1/2 inch spinner but i am thinking there are a couple other areas i could loose weight in.
Going to a hs 81 could save about 1oz
Tacking away whell paints might save 1oz
Going with ultralight wheels might save .5 oz
I have a lighter reciever that could take away aboit 1oz
I am aslo think about the fiberlight landing gear but have hear good and bad things about them.
Tacking away other miscilaneous zipties and stuff like that could save .5oz
Old 01-19-2007, 11:08 PM
Cambo

Excuse my spelling on the prior post

Anyway, i have got 5 ounces taken off the plane already.

Wheel paints off.
One Wheel coller off each axle
Removed other screws and zipties that were not in use
Switched prop from apc 16-4w to pro zinger 15-6. Almost a 2 ounce decrease in weight.
Total so far is about 5 ounces
I plane on switching to light foem wheels, lighter axles, lighter throttle servo and lighter reciever tomarow.
I am debating with myself over my aluminum spinner. It is so pretty yet so heavy[:@].
Old 01-19-2007, 11:45 PM
Hardin Valley Magic

I have just finished my funtana 50 with a 46 ax and a bisson pitts. It weights in at 6 1/4 lbs. However that will go up by approx 2 1/4 oz. because of having to add nose wight...
If all goes well maybe it'll be maidened in the next week or so.. Can't wait!!!!
I also had a problem with broken peices straight out of the box. It was the right side wing, it had been crushed. The replacement was quick to be replaced. However, the new wing seems a little soft in the same area....Hopefully all is good though.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:24 AM
Chocks_Away

ORIGINAL: Cambo
It is so pretty yet so heavy[:@].

[sm=lol.gif] [sm=lol.gif] [sm=lol.gif] HA HA HA

Your only talking of 4oz (about 100g) making out that the plane weighs something in the region of 9lb !!! [sm=lol.gif]

Relax, I wouldn't be the slightest bit worried if I had to add that amount of weight to balance it (which I had to do !), yet alone to use the original muffler, and add an extension piece to make it clear the Fuz.
Honestly, it really won't make any difference on a plane of this size and weight to start off with.

Now if you add 4oz to a small foamie, or shockie, then yes, you've got something to worry about, but not on a 6lb+ model

Mine weighs 6Lbs 10oz, and I'm not worried in the slightest, especially with a 91FS up front

Chill out, and leave your stuff on as it was

You say you removed zipties and screws on there that weren't in use ?

What were they doing on there in the first place then ! ? [sm=72_72.gif]

Also whats holding the wheels on if you've removed a collet off each side ? [sm=eek.gif]

About the pitts muffler..
Just goes to show the difference a non standard muffler can make, and not for the better [sm=confused_smile.gif]
When I tried a 2 stroke in mine to start off with, I just cut a piece out of the front of the lower firewall/fuz to accomodate the muffer, and patched it up behined it to cover up the cutout hole.
You don't see it when the cowl is on anyway, but not everyone wants to do that, which is fair enough.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:29 AM
Cambo

The zipties and stuff were on there from prior use and i never cut them off. There was one screw that went on the on/off switch jack that wasn't in use either. It is little thing like this that add up. I am planning on getting about 1/2 pound off the plane which can be a huge difference. With muffler adding almost 6 oz of weight the plane could hit 7 pounds [X(]. With over 1/2 pound taken off the plane it should stay under 6-1/2 pounds. The collar i removed is from the inside and i just used fuel tubing istead. Used this on many planes and always works great. I have decided to keep the aluminum spinner on, just way to pretty.
Don't get me wrong, my sk90 2 stroke was swinging a zinger 15-6 about 9000 (this is with the pitts, i am expecting 9800 with stock wich is almost an additional 2 pounds of thrusts) and it would hover at a about 35-40 percent throttle. Dut the plane ddefinatley flies heavier than it did when it had the FL 70 in it. I would like to get it back close to the weight with the FL and really have some insane power to weight.
Man you are right about those pitts mufflers, that was the first and last time I will ever use them. They are a rip off, i wonder if the engine company even tests after they design them. I see that you cut a piece of the firewall away to acomadate your muffler, I concidered doing that but the landing gear would have to have been moved because the 90 muffler is a good 6-7 inches long.
Chocks away, did you ever master the back flip .
Old 01-20-2007, 01:33 PM
Cambo

Okay here is the weight savings so far

HS 55 throttle servo ways .5 ounces with throttle pushrod. Old standered/ pushrod combo wayed 2.5 ounces.
2 ounces save

Pump remove
.75 onces saved

Switched to tower 8 channel over the tower 7 channel. 8 channel ways .8 oz while the 7 channel ways 1.5 oz
another .7 ounces saved

Switched wheels from stock to 3" foems. Stock wheels way 1.5 oz. New wheels way 1
.5 ounces save

Wheel Paints removed
1.5 ounces saves

propeller changed from APC 16-4w to pro zinger 15-6
1.5 ounces saved

1 oz of other miscelaneous items

Total so far
7.95 oz, that is 1/2 a pound.

I am going to get lighter axles at the hardware store today.
Should save another oz.
I am also hoping to get a couple more ounces off in some other places
Old 01-20-2007, 01:40 PM
Jimmy Hoffa
My Feedback: (3)

Cambo,
Another good way to save weight is to install a fiber-lite LG. The stock axles weigh a ton, the fiber-lite uses lightweight standard bolts.

http://www.fiber-lite.com/

Phillip
Old 01-20-2007, 02:02 PM
Chocks_Away

Chocks away, did you ever master the back flip .
Err, as the weather has been too bad to go out still, I haven't tried it for real, but I did get the X50 off the top of my wardrobe to have a go at it in the bedroom just as a practice after reading the suggestion.
It seems easy enough, and looks as if it will start it easily doing it that way, so I'll try it for real when I take it out.
Does it work with two strokes as well, or is it just for four strokes ?

Just waiting on the weather at the moment

Rain, rain, and wind at the moment.....

Thursday was very wild with winds hitting upto 78mph here, causing damage galore.

Still windy today as well, upto 40mph.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:38 PM
Cambo

I back flip my sk 90 all the time.

Jimmy, have you used the fiberlight gear? I have heard of them delaminating.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:57 PM
Cambo

BTW, i fabricated my own axles and saved another 3/4 of an oz.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:08 PM
Chocks_Away

BTW, i fabricated my own axles and saved another 3/4 of an oz.

You'll be after a job in Formula one next with all this weight saving [sm=lol.gif]

Is your SK 91 a two or a four stroke ?

Not heard of SK here, unless I have, but can't think what it stands for ? [sm=72_72.gif]
Old 01-20-2007, 04:36 PM
FallingWithStyle

Another weight saving idea: smaller fuel tank. Every fluid ounce of fuel weighs one ounce in weight...

Clark
Old 01-20-2007, 05:10 PM
Cambo

the sk 90 is a 2-stroke. They are a different design of 2 stroke though and are ported for big props. Becuase they have the power of a two stroke but ported for low rpms they have more usuable power. Basically, it will swing 120 size 4 stroke props 15-6 to 15-8, 16-4 to 16-6 and cost about 1/3 the price. 100 bucks. It will swing all of those props between 8500-10000 rpms. Any higher than 10,000 on the ground and you run into trouble in the air.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.