Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
 Engine for Funtana X50 >

Engine for Funtana X50

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Engine for Funtana X50

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine for Funtana X50

ORIGINAL: FallingWithStyle

Another weight saving idea: smaller fuel tank. Every fluid ounce of fuel weighs one ounce in weight...

Clark
You only get an 11 oz tank as standard, and on a plane of this size with a big engine fitted, that won't last long as it is, so thats not really an option, unless you like re-fuelling every couple of minutes [sm=75_75.gif]
Old 01-20-2007, 05:43 PM
My Feedback: (2)

I actually get 15+ minute flights but that is aslo because i don't even need half throttle to fly straight up. I don't plan on macking my flightimes any shorter though. Anyway, i wayed the plane in with the stock muffler and everything removed. 6 pounds 6 ounces. I am very happy that the plane has actually lost a couple ounces and will gain power moving back to the stock muffler .
Old 01-20-2007, 06:02 PM

I don't suppose you can go far wrong at that then [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 01-20-2007, 06:44 PM
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Cambo

Jimmy, have you used the fiberlight gear? I have heard of them delaminating.
Cambo,
I purchased a set from them 6 months ago but have not installed it yet. I like the short stock LG that came with the S40, IMHO, the shorter the gear, the less leverage to break it off. At 6lbs with a Saito 82, I'm not very concerned about reducing weight.
Phillip
Old 01-20-2007, 08:48 PM

Well, i caved in. I just couldn't leave off the wheel paints. The just look so cool. Oh well, a couple ounces will not hert. You are right Chocks away, a little bit of weight doesn't matter all that much. I still achieved my goal and will not see any weight increase by adding the stock muffler.

I was just thinking, we should add this thread to the other funtana x50 thread and make it the offical one.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:35 PM

WELL.. Good and bad news.. I did get the Funtana going.. I had the power 32 on it and with the 4 cell 4000 Mah battery and everything needed to fly it was EXACTLY 5.5 LBS.. WOW... I figured it would be less.. ANYWAYS. I took it off and it seemed to have plenty of power. I was flying around a 1/2 stick. It was GOOD but not GREAT.. It will hover REALLY good but there it no pull out what so ever.. It took all of the stick to hover AND I MEAN ALL!!! It got around 12 minutes of fllight and she was dead.. Charged again and changed the prop.. 13x8 APC electric.. NO GOOD.. Had to put the 13X8.5 prop back on.. I may have to tinker with the props.. anyways.. second flight was a little more GUTSY!! Harrier, Snap, Knife Edge, Hover all was perfect GREAT FLYING PLANE.. It does fly tail heavy. I have it at 6 in now.. I want around 5.25 to 5.5 I think that will fly better. ANYWAYS.. Good news is it flys like a FUNTANA X. Bad news is I will have to get the 46.. That is OK though. I was going to get it first but the motor has the SAME bolt pattern and I got the 60 amp ECS just in case I needed more from the start. SO all I have to do is sell the 32 and get the 46 and bolt it on.. I did notice the the 100 and the mini flew better.. It may just be that tail heavy...

Thanks guys for the inputs and

LATER
Old 01-20-2007, 10:02 PM

The review of the funtana x50 on rcu used the power 60 and seemed to be a prefect power to weight. It did come in at about 6-1/2 pounds. The power 60 produces almost 1200 watts of power. That is equivlent to my sk 90 2-stroke. Comes out to about 185 watts per pound. I can tell you that those are the exact same numbers at the exact same weight my plane puts out and i LOVE it. Way more than enough to pull out of hover
The power 46 puts out 800 watts of power
The power 32 putts out 700 watts of power

You will only gain 100 watts of power going up to the 46. I recomend the power 60.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:32 PM

Yea but then I would have to get another ECS and probably new battery also.. I really don't fly that heavy 3D. Just a little. It was really nice today.. Just want a little more power than I have now...

LATER
Old 01-21-2007, 06:19 AM

Just hope and prey that the 46 will be enough for what you want to do then, but if it aint, you can't say you weren't warned
Good luck [sm=thumbup.gif]

Cambo
Well, i caved in. I just couldn't leave off the wheel paints. The just look so cool. Oh well, a couple ounces will not hert. You are right Chocks away, a little bit of weight doesn't matter all that much. I still achieved my goal and will not see any weight increase by adding the stock muffler.
[sm=lol.gif] Just couldn't resist eh ? [sm=lol.gif]
I have left mine off for now.
We have a fairly rough field to take off & land on, so I figure that they will get ripped off in no time anyway [sm=cry_smile.gif]
It only gets cut about twice a year, so maybe I'll keep them in my flightbox ready for those two special occasions a year to put them on [sm=lol.gif]
Old 01-21-2007, 10:24 AM

My field is pretty rough too, but it is hard packed dirt. It is actually quite funny. Out of 800ft of runway, the first 500ft are prefectly smooth. The wrest, well, lets just say unless you got offroading tires your in big trouble!
Old 01-21-2007, 11:28 AM

Although ours is a grass field, it is not a dedicated flying field, - it is a public playing field for football & dog walking etc.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:45 PM

Posted in the wrong thread
LOL
Old 01-25-2007, 02:57 PM

Chocks away, did you ever master the back flip
I couldn't stand the suspense any longer tonight, of not yet knowing..............

So I got my X50 out, and took it into the back garden, & fuelled her up.

I fully opened the throttle, held the choke, and turned the prop round a few times to draw in some fuel.

Set the throttle to tick-over, attached the Glow Clip, turned the prop clockwise to the compresssion stroke, and let go.

The engine immediately burst into life with absolutely no effort whatsoever on the first flick ! [X(]

I was amazed to say the least

I have never started an engine so easily with an electric starter, yet alone by hand !

I stalled the engine deliberately, to have another go, just to make sure it wasn't a lucky shot !

It did exactly the same on the second attempt - fired up straight away

This is going to be my No.1 method from now on if it works as easy as that all the time - who needs a starter ?

As the engine has only had one tankful through it so far, I decided to run another complete one through it while I had it running.

Runs as sweet as a nut already.

Hoping to fly it for the first time with this engine in it soon, as the weather may be breaking to be better for the weekend, but I'll not hold my breath over it !

Thanks for the top starting tip, it's so so easy, so why didn't I think of it before
Old 01-25-2007, 10:08 PM

Yep, it is definatley the way to go. Starts up on 1-3 flips for me every single time.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:06 PM

Well, the weather forecast has given me the best slot today that I may get for a while, so I decided to take it while I could [&:] ...........

Took the Funtana down to the field this afternoon to try out the new engine
It was pretty cold, and it was a bit windier than than it was supposed to be ( going by the forecast [] )
but I went for one flight anyway.

Well, I can say that the 91 Fourstroke seems to be a perfect match for this airframe, with loads of power (as I expected) and only needs a little throttle to fly.

1/4 - 1/3 throttle for normal flying
1/2 throttle sees it going vertical ! [X(]
full throttle sees it going vertical too................but just faster [sm=lol.gif]

I'm glad I went for a 91 FS rather than a 70ish size which it is intended for.
Power : The more, the merrier [sm=lol.gif]

Loads of power on tap even though it's early into the running in period, and with a smaller prop than I will be using later on

Old 01-27-2007, 08:00 PM

I have a super tiger ( 90 ) on my Funtana 50 it roles about 3 ft and stands on it tail.... its fun
Old 01-27-2007, 08:12 PM

I can't wait to get mine back in the air. My stupid exhaust extension never came, so i order another one. Along with it I ordered a tower 75 muffler. I am expecting to get close to 10,000 rpms with the 15-6 zinger over 9000 with that SUPID PITTS MUFFLER. That is and extra 3 pounds of thrust peaked out. And mine already hovers at 1/2 [X(][sm=lol.gif]

Man CHOCKS AWAY, you do have THIIIIICK grass[X(]
Old 01-27-2007, 08:17 PM

Here are some picks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38114.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	607935   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44198.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	607936  
Old 01-28-2007, 04:31 AM

Yeah, it's a right pain in the arse, it doesn't get cut very often.
Last year it only got done twice ! [X(]

It doesn't matter for the hand launched belly landing foamies I've also got, but for planes like this, it's a knightmare [:@]

It's not as long at the minute as it has been.

There was a point last year where we couldn't fly any planes with an undercarriage for a couple of months while it got cut, but thats the council for you (or the local authorities, as you may know it by better ? )

Yeah, why do you think I haven't got my wheel pants fitted ! [&:]
They wouldn't last 2 minutes here [sm=cry_smile.gif]
Old 01-28-2007, 10:05 AM

Man, no kidding, those wheel paints would rip right off [X(]
Old 01-28-2007, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since we talk about funtanas ,i have the s40 thats about the same and i made SFS'es too! i started with a supertigre G51 standard mufler and it was ok for sportfly but i coudnt hover and it was tail heavy,prop was 12.25x3.75,then i bolt on a 91fx and it was the best choise ,prop is 14x6 . i tried the magnum 52 xls allso .power was fine but i had to put lead to balance !
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38444.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	608483  
Old 01-31-2007, 08:42 PM

Hi everyone! A simple question about the trows? They say in the book to put some HD servo arms for ailerons, elevator and rudder. Could you tell me the distance between the servos output shaft to the hole on arms did you put to get the right trows on parts. Thank you.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:28 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Could you tell me the distance between the servos output shaft to the hole on arms did you put to get the right trows on parts.
aviateur2,
The position on the servo arm is only half of the equation, the other half is the position on the horn. I use the holes on the outer ends of the servo arms and on the inner most holes in the horns. For servo arms I use the long ones made by DuBro. For 3D you need maximum throw. Be sure and use EXPO's from 50 to 80%.
Phillip
Old 01-31-2007, 09:37 PM

I go 80% expo with full throughs.
I got Hitec hs 475 standered's
Futaba Long Aluminum servo arms
CS 12 (I think) for throttle
Old 02-01-2007, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the information but what is it best 3/4" standard futaba servo arms or 1" servo arms long. they do not mentionned it in the book as it was for X100. now I place the standard ones (3/4") and uses the last hole at the end of arm on servo and the first one near the elevator and rudder on horn to be able to get the almost trows on parts. thank..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.