Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Haner 9 twist 60 problem

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Haner 9 twist 60 problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 03:23 PM
suzonka
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Haner 9 twist 60 problem

My Hanger 9 60 twist wont land, everything is right cg balanced thrust of engine, but when I approach and slow down it wants to bloom upward and then if I give it more throttle it will pull more straight forward, whats the trick to landing this monster.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:04 PM
delman

Default RE: Haner 9 twist 60 problem

Try moving you cg forward a bit. What pitch prop are you using, higher than a 4 pitch will keep your speed up as well.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:17 PM
drbenz
My Feedback: (11)

I have a twist 60 and have a similar problem any time there is a wind. I did have to add a little weight to the nose and that helped but i still sometimes need to make two or three attempts on windy days.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:30 PM
jacklegchris

I have the CG at 6in on mine and it handles very well. I haven't had any problems landing. I have a Magnum .91 FS with a 14x4 prop if that helps.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:53 PM
delman

Using a saito 91 with an apc 15x4 prop and cg at 6" on my twist 60.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:34 PM
suzonka

ORIGINAL: delman

Try moving you cg forward a bit. What pitch prop are you using, higher than a 4 pitch will keep your speed up as well.

Thanks, I used the middle setting they give you for the CG , maybe I should try another 1/2 inch forward to make it more nose heavy, my prop is a 12x5 ,I noticed how light the huge wing is and its like a kite when the wind hits it, when I come in with almost an empty tank on a windy day its tricky ,when you slow down the throttle it wants to rise up bloom, and then at the slightest throttle its staightens out forward but wants to take off upward again. my down thrust is good ,on a calmer day its much better, but what will make it better on a windy day?? I believe any tail weight would make it worse. any suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Va73250.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	764177  
Old 09-16-2007, 08:45 PM
suzonka

ORIGINAL: jacklegchris

I have the CG at 6in on mine and it handles very well. I haven't had any problems landing. I have a Magnum .91 FS with a 14x4 prop if that helps.
you motor alone is more weight in which may be good and you cg in only 1/8th less that the specs so this plane may need extra nose weight. yo Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv53537.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	764181  
Old 09-16-2007, 08:52 PM
suzonka

ORIGINAL: delman

Using a saito 91 with an apc 15x4 prop and cg at 6" on my twist 60.
goood going with those 91 engines,power and more nose weight.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:44 AM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Guys:

Keep in mind the 3D stuff is supposed to fly like you are describing, tail heavy. Otherwise it would not perform as well. You learned to land all your other planes after some practice. Suggest you spend one flight doing just landings to get it just right. Landing these thing are just another skill you need to learn. They will land very well once you get the hang of it. Honest. The forward CG is not a bad idea if you need to work up to landing control a little at a time. ENJOY
Old 09-17-2007, 05:34 PM
suzonka

ORIGINAL: rmenke

Guys:

Keep in mind the 3D stuff is supposed to fly like you are describing, tail heavy. Otherwise it would not perform as well. You learned to land all your other planes after some practice. Suggest you spend one flight doing just landings to get it just right. Landing these thing are just another skill you need to learn. They will land very well once you get the hang of it. Honest. The forward CG is not a bad idea if you need to work up to landing control a little at a time. ENJOY
[:-]
Hi, Can you give us any tips on bringing in a twsit type 3D in on a windy day landing, they want to go up bloom up that is and when you give it a few rpms on the throttle it pulls straighter forward ,but wants to fly away and not on the ground.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:29 PM
Planeclothes
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an OS .91 FX on mine. Just let the engine idle and lower the nose a bit to make it penetrate the wind and don't flair up until you are about one foot off the ground.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:52 PM
YNOT

Guys:

Right on.

This type plane lands more high alpha. So, you work the elevator and the throttle together. Stall the plane with the elevator and bring the plane down on throttle.

Someone else is going to have to type all that. Best bet, find someone who flys 3D and ask for help.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:53 PM
suzonka

ORIGINAL: YNOT

Guys:

Right on.

This type plane lands more high alpha. So, you work the elevator and the throttle together. Stall the plane with the elevator and bring the plane down on throttle.

Someone else is going to have to type all that. Best bet, find someone who flys 3D and ask for help.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Thanks ,Im new to the 3D flying, whats is , lands more high alpha.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:50 PM
mrbsltz

I put the CG where the directions told me to. I power mine with a Saito 1.0 Its a good little 3D flyer, it lands nicely every time, almost three points in. Never had a bad landing or found it to be a floater. I normally put in a eye screw on the cg on the bottom of the plane to get an accurate CG on a low wing or mid wing plane. That way when you suspend a string or wire from the small eye bolt you can also balance side to side as well as front to back. My only complaint is it won't track on big maneuvers, say your flying a nice full cuban either or reverse cuban 8, it won't track as well as other planes with thinner wing thickness, yet this Twist is hard to stall, I can fly it so slow and so slow, nice plane for what it was designed for.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:26 PM
suzonka

ORIGINAL: mrbsltz

I put the CG where the directions told me to. I power mine with a Saito 1.0 Its a good little 3D flyer, it lands nicely every time, almost three points in. Never had a bad landing or found it to be a floater. I normally put in a eye screw on the cg on the bottom of the plane to get an accurate CG on a low wing or mid wing plane. That way when you suspend a string or wire from the small eye bolt you can also balance side to side as well as front to back. My only complaint is it won't track on big maneuvers, say your flying a nice full cuban either or reverse cuban 8, it won't track as well as other planes with thinner wing thickness, yet this Twist is hard to stall, I can fly it so slow and so slow, nice plane for what it was designed for.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Well maybe it the sato 1.00 because my 61 just pulls it along on a windy day at Idlle then t wants to bloom upward, I dont dare give it down the nose may go in whats the landing trick on a little windy day, do you give it ever so slight down elevator ,or so you come in withmore forward speed ???? say and whats this mean [Thanks ,Im new to the 3D flying, whats is ,[:-] lands more high alpha. ]
Old 09-19-2007, 11:32 PM
sortie

Well you are not alone on having trouble getting this plane down on windy days...Makes me feel like a novice. Last time we were out the wind picked up to 25 mph. Landing was extremely tricky, when bringing her in, the plane would literally stop in mid air and let the wind speed fly her....I could not get the plane to come within 5 feet of the asphalt. I think it had to do with the heat build up on the runway during the day causing lift. My son and I enjoy the heck out of this plane. On calm days, it will fly and land extremely well.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:35 AM
suzonka

ORIGINAL: sortie

Well you are not alone on having trouble getting this plane down on windy days...Makes me feel like a novice. Last time we were out the wind picked up to 25 mph. Landing was extremely tricky, when bringing her in, the plane would literally stop in mid air and let the wind speed fly her....I could not get the plane to come within 5 feet of the asphalt. I think it had to do with the heat build up on the runway during the day causing lift. My son and I enjoy the heck out of this plane. On calm days, it will fly and land extremely well.
################################################## #####################################

Also the plane loves to fly well in the wind when its up higher . so how did you get it in ,? does this plane need some reflex.?
Old 09-20-2007, 09:18 AM
mrbsltz

I didn't catch that windy flying on my first message. The Twist 3d 60 isn't a good windy flyer, as I think its so light with the thick wing, you almost have to fly it in, almost lands like a heli, and now I just don't fly it in winds over 10-15 mph. It won't do any hoovering anyway at winds over 10 mph, it does, but they won't stay put. Its a great plane for flying in close on not so windy days.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:52 AM
suzonka

ORIGINAL: mrbsltz

I didn't catch that windy flying on my first message. The Twist 3d 60 isn't a good windy flyer, as I think its so light with the thick wing, you almost have to fly it in, almost lands like a heli, and now I just don't fly it in winds over 10-15 mph. It won't do any hoovering anyway at winds over 10 mph, it does, but they won't stay put. Its a great plane for flying in close on not so windy days.

Thanks for the information, I quess I just have to stay with it. Letme know if you find a good way to come in with it in the wind ? Say A fellow at the field has a twist 40 size and he says its much better to handle than a 60- that he had also, what do you make of that?
Old 09-20-2007, 02:54 PM
bbagle1

If you have your ailerons set up on two channels you can spoil them and the plane will come right on down, even on windy days.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:34 PM
suzonka

ORIGINAL: bbagle1

If you have your ailerons set up on two channels you can spoil them and the plane will come right on down, even on windy days.
you mean set them up to move down on landings with another switch on the []
Old 09-20-2007, 05:06 PM
delman

Spoilers means both your ailerons move upward in this case.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:01 AM
sfsjkid

A lot of aerobatic planes have this "problem" on landing approach, you come off the power, the plane slows down as expected but ballons at the same time. Worse at higher speeds and if too fast the plane is pitchy as hell even on low rates.

While I have seen people make things easier with spoilers, thrust and CG changes, making the leading edge thinner etc., these modifications aren't always condusive to 3D type flying, and I prefer to fly the thing in. I think the main thing is to realize that these types of planes will not land like a typical trainer, you will have to fly it in with throttle and all your controls. You have to sort of harrier it in as others have mentioned. Also you'll probably have to find a slower approach speed to lessen this charateristic. You already have part of the solution...

...and then at the slightest throttle its staightens out forward....
you just have to find the right altitude and speed to straighten out the plane onto the runway. Just a blip onto the runway. Once you get the hang of this I think you'll enjoy this plane at even twice the wind speeds you mentioned and perhaps be able to even fly backwards.

The smaller Twist probably does not exhibit this due to its higher wing loading, but is less of a 3d plane as a result.

Good luck!
Old 09-29-2007, 12:10 AM
jaybird11

suzonka you dont have enough flying time to use switches on your transmiter let alone spoilers on a plane that is not set up for them you turn them on with no wind the plane will drop out on you. You try this and you will crash your plane you have to know just how much to put in if you do use your als and that would start around 3 % if that. You concetrate on flying it in and when to flair and youll be fine if your going to fast slow down this plane flys slow. Until you get better dont fly on real windy days ,sfsjkid has the rite idea.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:07 PM
E-Mo
My Feedback: (12)

Here is a vid of my twist 60 W saito 1.00 15x4 prop cg @ 6"
throttle management is the key to landing this plane with an aft CG.
More of a harrier landing , check the landing & see if this helps
watch for the balloning as it passes my flight station.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aEFihWhfbbo