Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Reactor 160?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great Planes Reactor 160?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 02:32 PM
go vertical
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Reactor 120-160?

low power to weight ratio would fly normal aerobatics ok but would be poor with 3D
Old 12-12-2008, 04:25 PM
mustang11

Folks,
I purchased the 25mm CF tube from Troy Built Models and it's simply too tight to be of use[:@]……… I guess Barry got lucky with his……… possibly his receiving tubes in the wings were a little larger than mine. Anyway I did indeed find a source for the 22mm CF tubes here: [link=http://www.rcfoam.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=829&category_id=94]RC Foam LLC[/link] and will order one in the near future. A little pricy, but the weight savings will make up for it IMHO. Besides, after what I've already invested in this bird, what's another $70 or so?
Old 12-24-2008, 06:18 PM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Mustang11...
Yeah, I probably did get a bit lucky. My is very snug...but can be slid in fine. I may sand just a bit on the wing tube, but probably not.

What's going on..? Haven't seen much action on this thread recently.
Thanks
Barry
Old 12-24-2008, 09:42 PM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

Barry,

FYI, I had to sand the tube in the wing in order to get the stock aluminum wing to slide in. I worked on mine while we spent a week in MN early in December. There isn't much left to do on it when we get back to MN in May. The manual doesn't say anything about sealing the hinge lines which I normally do, but there just isn't any gap to seal on the plane because the control surfaces fit so well. Anybody else experience this also? I started on the cowl, and it's a real butcher job to make a DL50 fit inside it. I'm going to see what can be done to move the engine a little closer to the firewall. There's about a 3/16" gap between the muffler and the firewall, and the cowl just slides on to the fuselage enough. I've decided to fly it a bit before mounting the cowl completely. I had our 3D expert fly my WH Sukhoi last week and give me his suggestions. The first one was to put in some down thrust which did make a big difference. So, I will get the thrust line set right before centering and mounting the cowl.

I got one flight in today with my Ultimate before the winds got to be too much. Even the big boys stopped flying.

Merry Christmas!
Chuck
Old 12-25-2008, 09:54 AM
go vertical

chuck
the thrust lines for this plane are correct as is. if you can shorten the engine spaceing go ahead the reactor comes out nose heavey . i beleve the nose moment is on the long side as called for . as far as gap sealing go ahead and do it even though you think it is tight it can help prevent the onset of flutter MERRY CHRISTMASS TO EVERY ONE
Old 01-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Sewerdude
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wanting to keep this thread alive. Thinking seriously about ordering this plane. Doesnt sound like it needs any mods. Bet it is ballistic with a 50cc.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:13 PM
go vertical

even though it has thin wings it isn't fast
Old 01-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Vacaman

I have some comments. I think speed will depend on the prop, this plane don´t have the drag of an extra or a a yak. The ailerons are big, but rolling maneuvers are controlled and very precise, rolls are axial and harrier rollings are done very easely. I thought that this plane would´t make good snaps, but I was wrong, It snaps very easy and it stops when you center the sticks. I think the reactor really shine for its flying characteristics and looks.
The power with a 50cc is great, but not overpowered like some of us prefer.
The wheel pants can´t take abuse, so they must be treated with care. Also landings must be done softly or the lg will bend and good bye expensive prop (don´t ask how I figure it out). So far no problem with the covering, besides some wrinkles after a sunny day.
I didn´t liked where the switch is placed, under the wing, so I changed behind the cockpit. I also installed the batts in that place for better balancing. To do this I cutted a square on the balsa, to install the batt and switch, then glued the balsa back in place. Probably I am going to make a screwed ply hatch so i can inspect those itmes.
With a gas engine, this plane comes out nose heavy.
I also didn´t liked the where the fuel filling line is placed. Becouse the line end is under the fuel tank, when the stopper is out, the fuel start coming out.
I also didn´t like some hardware, like the spinner and pushrods, but that is a personal preference.
Hope this help.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:32 PM
go vertical

I only have a hafe doz. flyts on mine I built mine with no mods. except I have a brison 52 in mine left every thing else stock weight 16lb. is nose heavey and I will change that for when the weather breaks ( March) as is the best landing teck. LAND LIKE A BUTTERFLY WITH SORE FEET
Old 01-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Sewerdude

ORIGINAL: go vertical

even though it has thin wings it isn't fast

What I meant was " I bet it is ballistic going vertical....not horizontal". Thanks for the feedback guys. Whats the best thing to do about it being nose heavy? Is there enough room in there to move things around? I know a stock single pipe DA muffler would save some weight, but I'm afraid you might have to do alot of cutting on the cowl. Not sure how much room there is in the cowl for the muffler.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:34 PM
go vertical

sewerdude
in this thred there are pics from vacaman on mounting a pipe and i have pics on my engine instalation look back for them . there is room to move things around for ballance
Old 01-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Vacaman

Yes, you can move things around, but not too much. At least in my case, I installed all the electronics and batts at the rear bay and the ign. batt over the fuel tank but I had to add some tail weight anyway. I don´t see what else to do for balancing the plane without weight, but is not that big deal at all. It floats at slow speed.
Sewerdude, don´t think that hard and get the reactor!!! . You will enjoy it.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:11 PM
sevans16

anyone flown one with an OS160?? I know, I know but I have 4 giant scale planes and am just looking for a cheap beater. I really don't want another gas plane.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:56 AM
rdawson

BUILDING AND FLYING THE REACTOR 50CC. My friend in Dallas texas wrote the following info on his new REeactor 50cc Pics of plane and radio install are at the following link. http://rides.webshots.com/album/569326871Hrubhw
I must say it is a fabulous aircraft that has not disappointed me in any way. I started with the reactors with a 40 size that I flew and still fly with a Saito 82. That aircraft amazes me every time I put it in the air. I am a fair pilot yet that plane does incredible tricks with great ease, so when I heard Great Plains was going to build a 50cc version I was anxiously waiting for it to arrive in my local hobby shop. I got the plane in late October and flew it for the first time a few weeks ago. The first flight was on a windy day that I should not have flown on. I was at the field flying my little reactor and decided to do some taxing with my big reactor to test the CG and its ground handling abilities “because if you have been around the little reactor they are awful on the ground with the rear swept gear and on the 40 size, you need to turn the gear around so they will taxi on a grass field” but on 50cc inverting the gear is little more difficult so I chose to test it first then modify it if the plane tends to nose over. Well they got it right on the big reactor so after a few quick passes I turned it into the wind and nailed it. The reactor jumps off the strip quickly and flies like a dream. This is one of the very few models that I ever flown and not had to trim it all. My first flight was just some circles around the field with some slow passes to test the stall speed and its reaction. After about 5 to 10 minutes I brought it around and landed it. The plane will just creep into a landing; it has to be one of the slowest landing planes I have. The next weekend I took it back out for more flights and have performed many tricks with the plane. It does the waterfall extremely well and is truly a dream to fly. So for me I couldn’t recommend a plane more than this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here is a list of the stuff I put in the plane

1. 7 ea HS-7955-TG servos “all control surfaces”

2. 2 ea HS-85-MG “throttle and Choke”

3. 2ea 2600 Mah Li-ion “Receiver power”

4. 1ea 1600 mah Nimh “Ignition”

5. Da 50

6. 22x8 Mejzik carbon fiber prop

7. Eq6 Smartfly “primary reason for this is this board has servo matching which is a must for the dual servo per aileron + the power management for these high powered servos”

8. smartFly remote start switch

9. Smart Fly optical ignition switch

10. 3.5” Tru-turn spinner with the large prop cut out

11. Golden Rod for the throttle and choke

12. World Models Tail Gear with Spring shock absorber

13. 4-40 ball links on every control rod end

14. ÂĽ scale gauge set

15. Curios George Pilot

The only things I didn’t like about the kit were the instrument panel, tail gear and control horns. For the tail gear I replaced it with the world models gear and for the control horns I wanted to use ball links so a friend of mine “a master builder” suggested that I take two of the ones that come with the kit and mount them side by side with a ball link between them. So if you take two of the black horns and cut them off right through the mount screw holes then they are the perfect distance apart for a 4-40 ball link. It is a slick idea and it works great.

Thanks,
Mike/Dallas,Texas
Old 01-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Sewerdude

Thanks for the info Mike. Did you have a chance to weight it ?
Old 01-10-2009, 02:32 PM
craigteffe
My Feedback: (24)

Have any of you guys done some good 3D with this plane and how does she do? How does she stall does it tip a wing or mush forward? Come on guys give details or even some good 3D video.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:54 PM
go vertical

hey here is a thought that i feel will hurt the popularity of the reactor. what is it's nich it is to big for FAI and not scale for IMAC. I REALY LIKE MINE BUT IT IS STRICKLY FOR FUN
Old 01-12-2009, 02:51 PM
craigteffe

The largest majority of people don't fly IMAC or any other they are sport flyer's and so on. I for one could care less about who or what endorses it, and more about the way it flys and how its built. That is why i am still waiting on some good 3D flight reports.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:42 PM
go vertical

craig
what do you want to know beyond what has been posted in this thred I can tell you what If you are more to the point
Old 01-12-2009, 03:48 PM
craigteffe

How does the plane hover? will she harrier without wing rock? does she fly heavy on the wing?When in knife edge flight does she couple or want to roll out of the knife edge? How does she handle a stall will she tip to one side or mush forward and regain flight easy? And so on and so on and on. You get the point everyone can say it flys great but be somewhat partial to brands, you know what i mean.

This is why i would like to see a flight video from one of you guys besides what GP has put out.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:27 PM
go vertical

craig
I have a brison 52 in mine it will hover at hafe throttle and gets locked in so i can back it down wile doing torque rolls it will pull out of the hover strong but not fast mainly because i am useing a 3 blade prop harriers are very good at first i had a slight rock upright but not inverted . I found a slight travel differance in my elevator travel after re adjusting it stopped the slight rock. in high alfa knife edge it wants to tuck a little to the canopy I fell this is because mine is still a bit nose heavy this is something i am working on rolling harriers need less rudder than most 3d planes i have flowen you almost can't stall this plane even at idle and full 3d elv. ti will just settle into a level decent harrier landings will be posibel but not recomended because of the flex of the gear and prop strike the plane is very light feeling in the air pt feels presise even at slow speed i hope this ansswers some of your questions wont get a video till spring main reason the reactor is coverd in monocoat and that isn't good for real cold weather it will shatter
Old 01-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Vacaman

Hi Craigteffe, unfortunately I don´t have a video camera, but I have tried almots every 3d maneuver, except for long hoverings and torquerolls, becouse I am still breaking inn the engine. Without wind it almost doesn´t have wing rock, but with wind it does. Mine has almost 0 knife edge couple so I didn´t do any mix. 0 roll out too. And it feels very light in the air, and it remains stable even at very slow speeds.
Mine is a little over the 16lbs.
Last day out I made some knife edge loops, not perfects, but I had a great control feeling, specially in the last 1/4 of the loop.
I haven´t be able to do flat spins so I am going to add more tail weight. This will help also with hover an torque rolls. Going to see what happens with harriers.
Haven´t tried knife edge spins.
Not going to say that the reactor is the best 3d machine, but it does a great job, better than any other few 50cc airframes that i had flew in the past.
Hope that help, but a video worth more than any word!!
Old 01-16-2009, 12:03 AM
SportFlyer3

Hope I don't get nailed for referring another board but...do a search on the other board "F l y i n g G i a n t s" for "Giant Scale Reactor" and there is a vid and review up on that site...

I've almost finished mine just need to hack up the cowl because my J'Tech Pitts won't fit...it hits the firewall so I'm going to use the regular muffler...
Old 01-16-2009, 10:06 AM
go vertical

my muffler didn't fit .it hit the fire wall also but i cut out to make it fit . i posted some pics on this thred that showes this mod. it doesn't seem to be a problem is a little better than a standard muffler also lower on noise
Old 01-16-2009, 12:05 PM
craigteffe

If you guys want to JTEC will modify the hole placement of the muffler bolts to give you more room. I had them drill one for me 1/4 different on one end.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.