Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

U-Can-Do 3d 46?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

U-Can-Do 3d 46?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 10:36 AM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: U-Can-Do 3d 46?

ORIGINAL: raideron

Gary, what do you use to cover up the scrape marks from the
runway on the top of the rudder?? [8D] Yeah! That's what I want to know....[>:]
Old 03-14-2007, 06:36 PM
andrewskj

Thanks for the help Rob and Raideron will give it a try . Ken
Old 03-25-2007, 06:49 PM
raideron

Hi all,

Had a GREAT "DO" Morning.... So much so my Tk went MT[8D]... It was a stretch, but
she made it home

Rob...... So how's the fusion flying? What about 2"(inch)[8D] H.A. and high speed K.E's.,
does it pull?? I have been checking the OMP site on the "little" one for one of my YS-63's
thats just laying around because I still have yet(I still might) to repair my other OMP and
other profile...

Anyway B good people
Old 03-25-2007, 07:07 PM
nickstick

Well guys I was wondering if anyone is using a 6EXAS futaba radio for the U-CAN DO 46 I am currently building my first one. I plan on using channels 1 and 6 for ailerons,flaps, and spoilerons. But not realy sure what to do with the split elevators? Looks like I need a reverser but I am not sure. I want to say thanks for the great input and knowledge you share on this site. I have a Saito 82,I plan on installing it soon. This is my first commputer radio, got some catching up to do
THanks Glenn
Old 03-26-2007, 12:34 AM
Toni Arte

You would typically use a mixer to mix the elevator channel to another (unused) channel. Or you can use a Y-cable with a reverser.

The U-Can-Do has 6 servos so you should be able to program a mixer with your 6EXAS, i.e. just mix the elevator channel into the landing gear channel.

I have a Hitec Eclipse 7, and one of the drawbacks of that is that the trims do not affect mixers. I.e. if I mix the elevator channel into any unused channel, it works but the other elevator side does not move with the trim. I first tried a reversing Y-cable, but that was both temperature and battery voltage sensitive. I mean the center position of the reversed servo also depends on those, and it was a major pain. I finally solved the problem with a Schultze Alpha 8.35 receiver (don't know if they have a 72MHz version, mine is 35MHz), and programmed the mixer into the receiver.

The Saito FA-82a is a great engine, I have that one as well.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:04 AM
ccameselle

On the futaba radio you can program a mix but I will recomend a y conector with the reversing module. Because in that radio when you do the mixing you will only have trims on one channel. ie. If you mix the 2 and the 6 and you need to trim your elevator a couple of clicks. you will only be controling the #2 channel and not the #6 channel. you will have to use the knob for the flaps to adjust the other servo in the elevator. I have the same set up that you have same radio and plane and I am using a y reversing module.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:15 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Look how my weekend of flying went... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5610041/tm.htm

What makes it worse, is my left handed friend hit me in mid air with the Ultra Stick I gave him 2 years ago. It was my old plane.!??!??

Anyways, all is good. I still enjoy this hobby. And, obviously, his plane took the worst of it.

thanks
Barry
Old 03-26-2007, 01:05 PM
rclement

Dang Barry! [X(] You try to help a guy out and give him a plane and he does that too you! [>:] Unbelievable.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:41 PM
dr_d_2k

Sorry to hear about your midair Barry. It was one of those weekends.

I had a flutter problem on my super sportster and the elevator jammed full up. Minor damage and a couple hundred yard walk. Some of the guys thought I was just 3ding it until "I don't have it" and "Get back here" came out of my mouth.

Then the wind blew my Do off the table and took the PVC stand with it. Hole in a wing and broken turtle deck.

80% of the flights ended well though.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:58 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

man, i guess im luckey not to have the time to fly lately, cant hurt anything that way
Old 03-27-2007, 01:46 AM
Toni Arte

ORIGINAL: ccameselle

On the futaba radio you can program a mix but I will recomend a y conector with the reversing module. Because in that radio when you do the mixing you will only have trims on one channel. ie. If you mix the 2 and the 6 and you need to trim your elevator a couple of clicks. you will only be controling the #2 channel and not the #6 channel. you will have to use the knob for the flaps to adjust the other servo in the elevator. I have the same set up that you have same radio and plane and I am using a y reversing module.
I think a quality reverser Y-harness would do (I think Futaba makes those as well). The one I had was a budget one, sold under the make 'RCLine'. I was quite happy to return it to the shop, on full refund . The receiver programming was quite an elegant solution, as I already had a programmable receiver.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:30 PM
nickstick

Thanks for the info about a the servo reverser. I will order one tomorrow

Thanks Glenn
Old 04-07-2007, 10:00 AM
gjeffers

well guys im officially a Gold miner, started my new job last monday so i wont be doing any flying for a while(man i hate moving[])i am gonna go maiden my 60 size #3 today but other than that ill just be getting settled in at Round Mountain. ill keep in touch.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

gjeffers...

Good luck with your new job and new location. I hope it works out the best for you.

Please keep us informed...You've become a good friend and a great contributor here on RCU.

Thanks
Barry
Old 04-07-2007, 11:41 PM
rclement

Hey Gary, It sounds like you liver closer now so that's good. Good luck on with you new digs. Moving's a pain, isn't it?
Old 04-08-2007, 09:31 AM
gjeffers

thanks guys, im on my way back up to the gold mine today, did get to fly a little yesterday and had a great maiden with the newly rebuilt 60.
yea Rob, i am a lot closer, 255 miles closer still probably 5-600 miles from Barry[X(]
good thing im not selling or renting my house in Trona yet, so i dont have to get in no hurry, just taking what i need now and comming back next week to get what i need to move in to our new(old) rental till we find what we want[&:]

will keep in touch.....later[8D]
Old 04-10-2007, 08:56 PM
Adrians flyer

Greetings from a rookie pilot just moving up to a UcanDo 40 size! I built mine with an OS55 and during the maiden flight, I experienced severe flutter in the ailerons. Replaced the rods with 4-40 and carbon fiber covers, and I'll be damned if on the very next flight, I got SEVERE flutter again. So bad that it pulled a couple of hinges and made me pucker so bad I still haven't gotten my shorts out of my butt! Great Planes said it was my fault for flying too big of an engine (even though I was 60% power or less, engine break in you know) So I need to ask you experts, what the heck am I doing wrong? My hinges are close and tight, I don't fly the plane fast, hell I've only gotten two flights in at all.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:09 AM
rtn9105
My Feedback: (35)

First off I want to say good job on paying enough attention to notice the flutter soon enough to save the plane.
I don't think it's that your engine is to big as much as the plane is going to fast, I'm running a Saito 100 on mine and I've never had a flutter. I would say that even at only 60% full throttle you shouldn't be going that fast unless your plane is going up. Also what size and pitch prop are you running? I don't know much about prop size for 2 stroke engines but for this plane you should get the biggest diameter and lowest pitch prop your engine will turn.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:23 AM
Toni Arte

How's the pitch of the propeller? You'd probably want to use something like APC 12.25x3.75 (yes, that's 3.75" pitch) on a high-revving 2-stroke engine. I've got a Saito .82 on mine, spinning an APC 14x4W, but that's a 4-stroke engine. I can't fly fast enough to have any flutter problems , although I haven't tried a vertiical dive on full throttle.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:58 AM
rclement

Yeah, also too I'm wondering if you're having some kind of radio problems. ? Just a thought.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:59 AM
rclement

ORIGINAL: gjeffers

thanks guys, im on my way back up to the gold mine today, did get to fly a little yesterday and had a great maiden with the newly rebuilt 60.
yea Rob, i am a lot closer, 255 miles closer still probably 5-600 miles from Barry[X(]
good thing im not selling or renting my house in Trona yet, so i dont have to get in no hurry, just taking what i need now and comming back next week to get what i need to move in to our new(old) rental till we find what we want[&:]

will keep in touch.....later[8D]
Cool Gary! I'm glad things are working out for you. [8D]
Old 04-11-2007, 08:00 AM
Rocketman_

ORIGINAL: Adrians flyer
... Replaced the rods with 4-40 and carbon fiber covers, and I'll be damned if on the very next flight, I got SEVERE flutter again. ... My hinges are close and tight
Well, that certainly shoots down the idea that fat push rods and tight hinge lines cure flutter.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:49 PM
Adrians flyer

Thanks for the kind words. I'm using a APC 12X4 prop, but looks like I"m going to get a 14 or 15 inch blade if I can get it to work. We radar gunned the plane in flight and had a max speed of 38 mph. Is that too fast for this bird? I have an Ultra Stick 60 that I've clocked at 78 mph with standard futaba 3004 servos at 4.8 volts and never had flutter issues. I put larger wheels on this bird when I got it so the larger prop should have enough clearance. Let me know what you think.
ORIGINAL: rtn9105

First off I want to say good job on paying enough attention to notice the flutter soon enough to save the plane.
I don't think it's that your engine is to big as much as the plane is going to fast, I'm running a Saito 100 on mine and I've never had a flutter. I would say that even at only 60% full throttle you shouldn't be going that fast unless your plane is going up. Also what size and pitch prop are you running? I don't know much about prop size for 2 stroke engines but for this plane you should get the biggest diameter and lowest pitch prop your engine will turn.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Adrians flyer

Well sir I'm running a 12X4 but the guy at Great Planes said I was over spinning the hell of out with that "small" of a prop. So since I've got bigger wheels (2.75 inch) should I get a 14 or 15 inch prop?
Old 04-11-2007, 03:52 PM
gunfighterII

Adrian's,
Sounds to me like you have poorly built ailerons or a bad servo with excessive gear play. check your aileron for stiffness or as a last resort, remove covering and sheet the aileron.

Seal the gaps, even though your hinge line is tight, those are big surfaces to move.

A 12-4 should be perfect for that engine, what kind of rpm's are you getting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.