Community
Search
Notices
Airtronics Support Forum Ask any questions you may have about Airtronics radios and product here and get answers direct from the Airtronics Team.

Antenna Length

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 07:39 AM
woodw10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna Length

New to the sport - Have a hydroplane type in which I have installed a FHSS-2 transmitter/receiver system. The operating manual says in very explicit terms not to extend or cut the antenna. Based upon that I have exactly 5 inches of antenna showing outside the fuselage straight up in hard plastic tubing. The top of the wing is up 8 inches from the fuselage and the cowl over the fuselage is 6 inches above. Will I have problems with signal reception when the wing and/or cowl is in the way when the boat is on the outer reaches of the signal? Will my range suffer because of the physical interference of the boat components? Thanks in advance
Old 04-26-2011, 10:36 AM
MikeGreenshields

Default RE: Antenna Length

Unless the boat components on top of the deck are Carbon or Metal, there will not be a problem. If they are, you might need to move the receiver/antenna forward away from the wing.

Also, from the description you've provided, your installation sounds correct.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:20 PM
woodw10

Thanks for the reply. Fuselage,cowl, and wing are all fiberglass. The reason I asked was that the prior owner of the boat had a FM system in it and had about 3 feet of antenna wire flopping in the breeze.

Another question - knowing that there is a lot of variables, what could be a range of the range of the transmitter? (I plan on doing a range check on terra firma before it goes in the water). Also the rudder is (I think this the proper term) glitching with no input from the transmitter - normal? a servo problem?

Thanks
Old 04-26-2011, 05:24 PM
MikeGreenshields

The servo should not be glitching.

You might want to call our tech support line and ask Jack to review your setup with you.

Range with that radio in the water should be 600 -1000 feet or so

TECH LINE:
Airtronics has a toll-free help line for those with technical questions about Airtronics products.

From how to program a radio to choosing the best servo for an application, we have an expert with a long-time career in the hobby dedicated to helping customers with technical questions. Please feel free to call should you need help with your Airtronics products.

Please call Monday through Friday only between 12 to 4 pm Pacific Time

1-800-262-1178
Old 08-09-2011, 05:08 AM
woodw10

Mike , I.m only getting about 550 feet from the system described above - what I did not mention before - I have a metal can muffler on the boat which at times has only an inch or so of antenna extending above that level. Also the motor rises above the level of the antenna - part of my problem in terms of range? In addition at the outer reaches , there will be occurrences where the boat stops (motor running), then after a moment or two will go forward again(as a I operate the transmitter) . Part of the same problem?