Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another "Drone" incident in the news... , mostlikely non AMA member

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another "Drone" incident in the news... , mostlikely non AMA member

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 06:57 AM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another "Drone" incident in the news... , mostlikely non AMA member

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/07/us/dro...t=hp_inthenews

This guy was flying a "drone" at Yellowstone and lost it in the largest spring that have at Yellowstone; that goes 200 feet down. He had the tenacity to go and ask a park official if he could try and retrieve it. If I was visiting Yellowstone and saw this, I would have confronted this dude, punked him out then try to educate him; that his actions is putting unnecessary bad spotlight on RC flying as a whole.

I'm pretty sure, he wanted to take a cool aerial video of the Spring and then post it on Youtube and say have everyone look at this cool aerial vid I took at Yellowstone, he just wants to see how many hits he gets.

Last edited by GSXR1000; 08-07-2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:24 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Horizon just sent an email announcing their new drone...err... FPV model. Weighs less than an ounce. As I said before, It was just a matter of time. There will be a lot more coming I would imagine...
Old 08-28-2014, 04:34 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Horizon just sent an email announcing their new drone...err... FPV model. Weighs less than an ounce. As I said before, It was just a matter of time. There will be a lot more coming I would imagine...
Them jackboots from FAA are gonna be real busy bustin' heads. Thar will be some opportunities for FPV journalists to get some sensational videos.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:27 PM
littlecrankshaf

Yea, I can hear it now... "911, what's your emergency?" Some John: "I want to report an FPV..." Click...

LOL
Old 08-28-2014, 06:40 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Why is he/she "most likely a non-AMA member"?

Kurt
Old 08-28-2014, 06:49 PM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by Bozarth
Why is he/she "most likely a non-AMA member"?

Kurt
Because AMA members are programmed...err...they have programming...err...Sorry,,, they operate within their programming...that's a little better. Hard to say it where it doesn't sound derogatory.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:11 AM
AlW
My Feedback: (17)

To say that these individuals are ''non AMA'' is to stick your head in the sand. I know (5) or (6) FPV guys who are ALL AMA members and are members of one of the Chartered clubs where I am also a member. They fly their regular models at the club field but fly their FPV stuff at (2) different renagade sites with other FPV flyers. They don't fly by AMA rules, no spotters and they fly at high altitudes miles away. I have visited both sites a number of times and talked with these folks and they made it quite clear that they have no intention of using the AMA rules which they say takes all the fun out of FPV. Bob Brown's head is in the sand also. In his column in the Sept Model Aviation he states''Why are so many doing stupid things? The answer is quite simple...these people are not AMA members'' Come on Mr Brown get with the program. Statements like this show just how little you know about what is going on in the real world.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:14 AM
cj_rumley

Prolly a programming glitch
Old 08-29-2014, 11:58 AM
bradpaul

Hey, if you believe the conventional wisdom from the "non AMA fanboys" that the membership of the AMA is just a small percentage of the total population of RC flyers and then factor in that most new technology multi rotor FPV units are sold to first time RC buyers (again a mantra from the gang) then the odds would be that FPV incidents are not caused by AMA members.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:24 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Wait...I though I had AMA for RC insurance and USAA for auto insurance. I didn't know it was a code of conduct 24 hours a day.

Kurt
Old 08-29-2014, 01:31 PM
littlecrankshaf

There might be a whole other way to look at it Brad. Maybe it's mainly the AMAish that's culpable as the "bad boys"...as they are the ones that are told they have 'surance and can fly anywhere... The non AMA guys understands daddy is not going to bail them out and therefore are much more careful about what they do.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:57 PM
bradpaul

There might be a whole other way to look at it Brad. Maybe it's mainly the AMAish that's culpable as the "bad boys"...as they are the ones that are told they have 'surance and can fly anywhere... The non AMA guys understands daddy is not going to bail them out and therefore are much more careful about what they do.
IMHO there is in the context of the reported drone incidents much more ignorance of the risks/rules than being "bad". And BTW when did a teenager (your post referred to daddy) ever do anything or not do anything based on daddys insurance coverage?

Are there AMA members that fly FPV ignoring the safety code and and FPV AMA doc 550? Yes there are. Does not change the fact that there are many more "independent" FPV pilots and that they largely would be unaware of what safe operation requires.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:22 PM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by bradpaul
IMHO there is in the context of the reported drone incidents much more ignorance of the risks/rules than being "bad". And BTW when did a teenager (your post referred to daddy) ever do anything or not do anything based on daddys insurance coverage?

Are there AMA members that fly FPV ignoring the safety code and and FPV AMA doc 550? Yes there are. Does not change the fact that there are many more "independent" FPV pilots and that they largely would be unaware of what safe operation requires.
teenagers??? I never said anything about teenagers. Daddy (some special interst) or Uncle Sam (we all know who)is what many rely on nowadays. Now that I've had a little fun... I contend it's quite possible to fly models safely, particularly FPV without adhering strickly to AMA rules...

Last edited by littlecrankshaf; 08-29-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:20 PM
bradpaul

teenagers??? . I contend it's quite possible to fly models safely, particularly FPV without adhering strickly to AMA rules...
Yes, I agree dependent on the individual circumstances you could fly safely ignoring AMA rules. In rural unpopulated areas especially. However the incidents that make news are usually the result of inappropriate flying over people and buildings which just give john q public a reason to complain to the bureaucrats and have our freedoms restricted.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:28 PM
littlecrankshaf

Yes, I agree dependent on the individual circumstances you could fly safely ignoring AMA rules. In rural unpopulated areas especially. However the incidents that make news are usually the result of inappropriate flying over people and buildings which just give john q public a reason to complain to the bureaucrats and have our freedoms restricted.
If John would quit blowing everything out of proportion and quit complaining so much, that would help
immensely... Lol How do we accomplish that?
Old 08-29-2014, 06:56 PM
JohnShe

What freedoms?

You certainly can't mean the freedom to endanger people or property? I suppose you don't mean the freedom to ruin someones enjoyment of a national park? Or far that matter damaging park property or endangering the flora and fauna?

Perhaps you have forgotten that rural unpoulated areas where you have permission to fly would meet the AMA safety guidelines and the FAA's interpretation of section 336.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:18 PM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by JohnShe
What freedoms?

You certainly can't mean the freedom to endanger people or property? I suppose you don't mean the freedom to ruin someones enjoyment of a national park? Or far that matter damaging park property or endangering the flora and fauna?

Perhaps you have forgotten that rural unpoulated areas where you have permission to fly would meet the AMA safety guidelines and the FAA's interpretation of section 336.
John, I know how much you like having fun with us but your post misses the point on so many levels it would take a book to point them all out...But for brevity I'll point out just a few. There are places where flying a turbine model in excess of 250 MPH would be of no real consequence...not to mention the waver thingy...and giant scale models over 150# could operate safely without some inspection by an AMA wannabe...

Chew on that awhile...
Old 08-29-2014, 07:43 PM
JW0311

I would be curious to see the numbers on AMA vs non AMA membership as it relates to incidents making the news. Or are we just guessing in order to reinforce our dislike for the non believers. (non AMA members) May they all be struck down with the plague.

James
Old 08-29-2014, 07:50 PM
JW0311

Originally Posted by JohnShe
What freedoms?

Perhaps you have forgotten that rural unpopulated areas where you have permission to fly would meet the AMA safety guidelines and the FAA's interpretation of section 336.
John I agree with you. These innocent people living next to these horrid golf courses are in real serious danger of, at the very least, a subdural hematoma. They should not have to be subjected to this kind of danger in and around their homes. Our Federal Government should swoop down from Mnt. Bureaucracy and do something about it. Not to mention the altitude with which one of these little balls can reach. They could quite possibly damage my UAV.

James

Last edited by JW0311; 08-29-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:51 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Incidents of this type for now are antedotal but with horizon hobby tower and other major suppliers flooding the market with drone type vehicles , incidents will and are becoming more common.some will be serious and intrusive and very annoying to say the least.tbm has completely outfitted quads selling as high as 8700 bucks.i am not thrilled with the concept as a whole.the technology is here and has a ot of good uses commericall.i still believe the big ones loaded to the teeth with GPS and cams travelling miles remotely at heights of in the thousands of feet need to be regulated and licensed.the small park zone stuff if just another outlet of rc and can be managed locally.most of the users are hobbyist like everyone else.the rogues will get dealt with by local authorites.meanwhile there are lawsuits against the FAA and we need more than ever to ensure we are free to enjoy our hobby.for the first time I feel my freedom to build and fly rc planes is truly under threat by the big brother.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:08 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I alway wonder in total amazement why those who hate golf buy a house along fairways.some build big ugly nets.then you have to ask what was the idiot thinking when when he bought on a golf course.yes golf balls can and will occasionally go flying to a backyard or a roof or thru a window.thats life on a course.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:45 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...l#.VAH_VLcg-Uk Check this out.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:38 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by cloudancer03
I alway wonder in total amazement why those who hate golf buy a house along fairways.some build big ugly nets.then you have to ask what was the idiot thinking when when he bought on a golf course.yes golf balls can and will occasionally go flying to a backyard or a roof or thru a window.thats life on a course.
That's quite correct. When you buy a house next to a golf course you buy the risk that comes along with it. I think it's called freedom of choice. Maybe it is one of our freedoms.

Funny, you know there are people who buy homes next to airports and complain about the airplanes, and those that buy homes next to pig or dairy farms complain about the smell. There is no satisfying some fools.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:46 AM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by flycatch
Probably a member of that other AMA ........ The American Moron Association
Old 08-30-2014, 09:46 AM
JohnShe

John, I know how much you like having fun with us but your post misses the point on so many levels it would take a book to point them all out...But for brevity I'll point out just a few. There are places where flying a turbine model in excess of 250 MPH would be of no real consequence...not to mention the waver thingy...and giant scale models over 150# could operate safely without some inspection by an AMA wannabe...

Chew on that awhile...
Yes, and these places satisfy AMA safety guidelines and the FAA interpretation of section 336. The turbine waiver only applies at events with spectators, same for the overweight super giants. Where do you think they go to qualify for a waiver? Sheesh! I am worried about you LCS.

If you can find a safe to place to fly, you can fly, no doubt about it. That goes for any recreational technology like FPV. I only call the cops when idiots are flying unsafely, near people and homes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.