Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another "Drone" incident in the news... , mostlikely non AMA member

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another "Drone" incident in the news... , mostlikely non AMA member

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 03:56 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnShe
Yes, and these places satisfy AMA safety guidelines and the FAA interpretation of section 336. The turbine waiver only applies at events with spectators, same for the overweight super giants. Where do you think they go to qualify for a waiver? Sheesh! I am worried about you LCS.

If you can find a safe to place to fly, you can fly, no doubt about it. That goes for any recreational technology like FPV. I only call the cops when idiots are flying unsafely, near people and homes.
john,
for some real enthusiastic education, copy and post that waiver comment into the rcjets discussion forum.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:47 PM
JohnShe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mongo
john,
for some real enthusiastic education, copy and post that waiver comment into the rcjets discussion forum.
Why? I just skimmed over the turbine safety requirements. There is not a thing there that contradicts me.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:51 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Sheesh! I am worried about you LCS.

I only call the cops when idiots are flying unsafely, near people and homes.
John,

Don't worry about me... Those that can only paint by the numbers is nothing new to me. FWIW The more you post, the more convinced I am you must be relatively new to the hobby and therefore AMA. I am really beginning to wonder if you're presence here is only to have your fun and games at our expense. Just keep your finger over the 911 fast dial button and I'll keep my finger just outside the trigger guard LOL

Anyway, its all good...carry on.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:57 PM
bradpaul

Why? I just skimmed over the turbine safety requirements. There is not a thing there that contradicts me.
just read and try to comprehend the AMA Safety Code.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:06 PM
littlecrankshaf

Well...just quit skimming...LOL
Old 08-30-2014, 05:43 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
John,

Don't worry about me... Those that can only paint by the numbers is nothing new to me. FWIW The more you post, the more convinced I am you must be relatively new to the hobby and therefore AMA. I am really beginning to wonder if you're presence here is only to have your fun and games at our expense. Just keep your finger over the 911 fast dial button and I'll keep my finger just outside the trigger guard LOL

Anyway, its all good...carry on.
You think you can scare me, what kind of nutcase are you?
Old 08-30-2014, 05:49 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by bradpaul
just read and try to comprehend the AMA Safety Code.
Are you talking about the part that says?

"1. Model aircraft will not be flown:
(a) In a careless or reckless manner.
(b) At a location where model aircraft activities are prohibited."

Seems pretty clear to me. I can fly anywhere that I have permission to fly. A remote secluded location is perfectly safe if there is enough room to fly. And, I can fly anything that fits. If there is enough room for a turbine, I can fly a turbine and I won't need a waiver. But I will have to know how to fly the beast.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:04 PM
bradpaul

Are you just unable to read and comprehend?

AMA Safety Code A 2 (j) refers to

AMA 510-A.

paragraph below 25 and above the note

BTW AMA Safety Code A 2 (e) controls aircraft over 55 lbs and then

AMA 520-A A 4 requires certification for ant demonstration, practice or general flying.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:40 PM
JohnShe

Are you just unable to read and comprehend?

AMA Safety Code A 2 (j) refers to

AMA 510-A.

paragraph below 25 and above the note

BTW AMA Safety Code A 2 (e) controls aircraft over 55 lbs and then

AMA 520-A A 4 requires certification for ant demonstration, practice or general flying.
That's all well and good, but it doesn't apply on private property with no spectators. As long as you do no damage or injure anyone you are justified in flying.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:47 PM
littlecrankshaf

As long as you do no damage or injure anyone you are justified in flying.
Well, as long as you subjectively deem its all OK...then no 911 button pushing...but the moment you feel things are getting a little sketchy...button pushing time!!!! And then just wait for Barney... Cracks me up when I think about it...funny, funny, funny.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:58 PM
littlecrankshaf

You think you can scare me, what kind of nutcase are you?
Paranoia setting in??? I meant nothing that could reasonably be construed as trying to scare or threaten you. Try lightening up some...
Old 08-30-2014, 07:07 PM
bradpaul

That's all well and good, but it doesn't apply on private property with no spectators. As long as you do no damage or injure anyone you are justified in flying.
Really John you are advocating flying outside the programming of a nationwide CBO? You of course realize that the provisions of 336 no longer apply, but OK as an advocate of individual responsibility I can see your point, but the FAA might not agree.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:28 PM
littlecrankshaf

Really John you are advocating flying outside the programming of a nationwide CBO? You of course realize that the provisions of 336 no longer apply, but OK as an advocate of individual responsibility I can see your point, but the FAA might not agree.
What I've become to understand is that he feels he should make his independent determination of what's safe and he expects that the authorities will oblige his wishes after he calls 911... Nothing about law and order or anything like that...no real principles involved...just what John feels is right... and that varies depending on how his day is going at that particular time. Maybe he should be an AMA AVP.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:32 AM
JohnShe

Paranoia setting in??? I meant nothing that could reasonably be construed as trying to scare or threaten you. Try lightening up some...
When you talk about firearms you are threatening people. keep your talk to model aviation.

Last edited by JohnShe; 08-31-2014 at 04:35 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:34 AM
JohnShe

How is following this simple rule outside the program?

"1. Model aircraft will not be flown:
(a) In a careless or reckless manner.
(b) At a location where model aircraft activities are prohibited."

As for the FAA, the same rule applies. Don't endanger the NAS and everything will be fine.

Last edited by JohnShe; 08-31-2014 at 04:36 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:35 AM
JohnShe

What I've become to understand is that he feels he should make his independent determination of what's safe and he expects that the authorities will oblige his wishes after he calls 911... Nothing about law and order or anything like that...no real principles involved...just what John feels is right... and that varies depending on how his day is going at that particular time. Maybe he should be an AMA AVP.
I don't make independent determinations. That is what the law is for. I merely report dangerous situations.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:57 AM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't make independent determinations. That is what the law is for. I merely report dangerous situations.
That's exactly the point.

What YOU call a dangerous situation, is YOUR determination. Nothing independent or absolute in that. Purely subjective.

Who says or what makes it dangerous other than you in your belief? If you didn't make the determination (judgement) you would not be pushing the 911 button.

"I am the Law!!" - Judge Dread
Old 08-31-2014, 07:11 AM
littlecrankshaf

When you talk about firearms you are threatening people. keep your talk to model aviation.
Model airplanes??? I think you are getting more confused in every post. This thread is about "another drone incident" in the AMA forum...not much here relative to model airplanes... just AMA control, drones...of both types and the Gladys Kravitz syndrome seems relative but not really anything about model airplanes.

Stay on target!

We are supposed to be throwing FPV under the bus...Unfortunately we are being held fast by the neck strap by our FPV brethren...our problems are more because of idiotic Gladys Kravitz type people than any dangerous actions of drone flyers... So let's keep throwing them dastardly FPV pilots under the bus...we are all going to get our fair share of tire tracks across our backs in the end.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:23 AM
r_adical
My Feedback: (19)

Just to be clear the "tourist" in question at Grand Prismatic in Yellowstone was from the Netherlands, The "Tourist" who dumped one in Yellowstone Lake was from Germany and the "Tourist" from Oregon who chased Bison at Midway Geyser Basin. All have been charged and face FEDERAL Charges.

Let them all be charged to the fullest, As a Pilot and RC Modeler for 30 years they broke the rules. Besides Yellowstone is a NATURAL place and doesnt even allow full size flight below 2000 ft AGL
Old 08-31-2014, 08:37 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by do335a
That's exactly the point.

What YOU call a dangerous situation, is YOUR determination. Nothing independent or absolute in that. Purely subjective.

Who says or what makes it dangerous other than you in your belief? If you didn't make the determination (judgement) you would not be pushing the 911 button.

"I am the Law!!" - Judge Dread
Here are two lists of "so-called" dangerous situations. Tell me, which acts do you approve of?

These acts are all violations of good sense. If I encounter any of these acts or similar acts as described in the lists. I will report them to the law.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pirker Actions.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	2027388   Click image for larger version

Name:	David Zablidowsky.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	2027389  
Old 08-31-2014, 08:40 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by r_adical
Just to be clear the "tourist" in question at Grand Prismatic in Yellowstone was from the Netherlands, The "Tourist" who dumped one in Yellowstone Lake was from Germany and the "Tourist" from Oregon who chased Bison at Midway Geyser Basin. All have been charged and face FEDERAL Charges.

Let them all be charged to the fullest, As a Pilot and RC Modeler for 30 years they broke the rules. Besides Yellowstone is a NATURAL place and doesnt even allow full size flight below 2000 ft AGL
I bet those foreigners are shaking in their boots LOL... I think you and I agree about preserving the sanctity of natural settings such as Yellowstone...I would be proponent of making a no-fly zone for full scale in a manner that would prevent even seeing or hearing them while enjoying the natural wonders...but with that being said, education is the key...do not particularly wish so-called violators severe penalties because of their ignorance due to lack of notice...but after being duly educated the penalties should go up proportionally.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:44 AM
JohnShe

Model airplanes??? I think you are getting more confused in every post. This thread is about "another drone incident" in the AMA forum...not much here relative to model airplanes... just AMA control, drones...of both types and the Gladys Kravitz syndrome seems relative but not really anything about model airplanes.

Stay on target!

We are supposed to be throwing FPV under the bus...Unfortunately we are being held fast by the neck strap by our FPV brethren...our problems are more because of idiotic Gladys Kravitz type people than any dangerous actions of drone flyers... So let's keep throwing them dastardly FPV pilots under the bus...we are all going to get our fair share of tire tracks across our backs in the end.

Since when do model airplanes have trigger guards? Don't you ever threaten me again!

As far as FPV goes, there is a solution, actually two possibilities both viable. Both the "buddy box" solution or the spotter solution are perfectly workable. Someone with intimate knowledge of the FPV technology needs to write a rational comment o the FAA to explain them. I can't since I have zero FPV experience and knowledge. I don't think FPV should be thrown under the bus.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:47 AM
littlecrankshaf

Here are two lists of "so-called" dangerous situations. Tell me, which acts do you approve of?

These acts are all violations of good sense. If I encounter any of these acts or similar acts as described in the lists. I will report them to the law.
Why does "flying under a crane" crack me up??? Reminds me of the admonition of not to run with scissors... Anyway, I guess you don't mind wasting our valuable resources on fairly innocuous incidents. I'd like to know how much time and money has been thrown down the toilet pursuing the Pirker incident....I now a lot of bandwidth has been burnt.

John, you better peak out the window...I think there is an elephant in your neighbors yard.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:58 AM
littlecrankshaf

Since when do model airplanes have trigger guards? Don't you ever threaten me again!
Threaten you??? Crazy words! I'd never threaten anyone...that would be very stupid!

I think most of us here understands my point was to convey the comparison of your reliance on the 911 button for your protection and my self reliance...heck, if I call 911 it will probably be to let them know they have a mess to clean up...really...they usually respond after whatever incident... But if the false sense of security of your keepers is good enough for you...then so be it. But for the realists, its far better to be well prepared.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:25 AM
JohnShe

Why does "flying under a crane" crack me up??? Reminds me of the admonition of not to run with scissors... Anyway, I guess you don't mind wasting our valuable resources on fairly innocuous incidents. I'd like to know how much time and money has been thrown down the toilet pursuing the Pirker incident....I now a lot of bandwidth has been burnt.

John, you better peak out the window...I think there is an elephant in your neighbors yard.
You ignorance is showing. You obviously know nothing about crane operations or you would know why such an act is dangerous. As for the others, are they really what you should be doing with a toy airplane? Didn't your, mother teach you anything? Maybe you were born under a rock.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.