Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

time to stop the dromes..........NOW

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

time to stop the dromes..........NOW

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 11:25 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
I'm not sure if anybody will benefit at this point. What is going to stop the drones from flying? From the FAA's brochure, it clearly illustrates the drawing of a radio, a fixed wing, and a QUAD COPTER. Sorry, but they are ALL being lumped together. If it flies with a radio, it's a drone. FPV or not, it's a drone, even if it's just a foam park flyer. That's what the general public feels, and I'm betting it's also what the regulators think.
I'm inclined to agree. After I sent an email to one of the AMA EVPs, he contacted me by phone to discuss thoughts on their effort as well as pick my brain from an aviation safety management and policy making perspective. I told him that I feel we're losing if not already lost the PR battle -- as evidenced by the symptom you mentioned.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:35 AM
NorfolkSouthern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is what I would like to see: The FAA should step down from the medical requirements for flying lighf-sport aircraft. This means getting rid of the catch-22, so people can learn to fly, as long as they have a valid driver's license. This would enable pilots who have lost their medical certificates to STILL fly, as long as they are fit to drive a car. For example: Self-certification has ALWAYS worked for motor gliders, balloons, and standard gliders that are towed by airplanes.

Then, if the AMA will just BUD OUT, the FAA can regulate RC flying the same way they do gliders and hot air balloons, keeping the same medical certification requirements for them, light-sport, and gliders. Anybody who can learn the rules of the road and are healthy enough to drive a car, should be able to fly a model aircraft. Of course, that would be a different story for winos, druggies, and bums on bikes. I would be all good with that, because it would give the majority of us the opportunity to enjoy aviation to its fullest extent, while keeping the nut jobs and wackos out of it.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:54 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
Here is what I would like to see: The FAA should step down from the medical requirements for flying lighf-sport aircraft. This means getting rid of the catch-22, so people can learn to fly, as long as they have a valid driver's license. This would enable pilots who have lost their medical certificates to STILL fly, as long as they are fit to drive a car. For example: Self-certification has ALWAYS worked for motor gliders, balloons, and standard gliders that are towed by airplanes.

Then, if the AMA will just BUD OUT, the FAA can regulate RC flying the same way they do gliders and hot air balloons, keeping the same medical certification requirements for them, light-sport, and gliders. Anybody who can learn the rules of the road and are healthy enough to drive a car, should be able to fly a model aircraft. Of course, that would be a different story for winos, druggies, and bums on bikes. I would be all good with that, because it would give the majority of us the opportunity to enjoy aviation to its fullest extent, while keeping the nut jobs and wackos out of it.
While that would probably work, the FAA has no incentive to loosen requirements on other types of flying.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:20 PM
NorfolkSouthern

And if they don't have incentives to loosen requirements for other types of flying, I don't see them loosening requirements for drones either, including model airplanes. This hobby is done as we know it, at least as long as these people keep flying their RC planes with GPSs continues. And it will continue. There is no stopping it.

Last edited by NorfolkSouthern; 11-30-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:21 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Commercial Quads if used for delivery as proposed by Amazon and others will be entirely autonomous and no pilot what so ever. it will grab the package read the GPS address in bar code and off it will go all for a price. Too expensive for Pizza delivery but great for those that think they absolutely need it right now. For that mater your car will drive it self ostarting on the free ways in special lanes but it will happen. Every air liner is capable of that right now but prohibited for take off and landing by the FAA/NTSB but as soon as possible the auto pilot is engaged, mainly to conserve fuel. with the advance in electronics all flying things except for birds will avoid each other automatically. Ever here ot TCAS and now ADS-B Automatic dependent surveillance-broadcast?
Old 11-30-2014, 12:38 PM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

I fly quad copters not "drones" and R/C airplanes with common sence and I will continue to do so with or without FAA regulations. Now, I do also realize "common sence" is not common.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:55 PM
benjack71

Originally Posted by RC_MAN
Why not limit how high they can go.
That is exactly where this is heading. They will start making our receivers incapable of going over a preset altitude. It will limit you to flying at your zipcode so to speak.That is just my opinion, but that would be par to course for in my opinion government over reach
Old 11-30-2014, 01:09 PM
benjack71

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Here's some preliminary analysis from the FAA spreadsheet:

Top 10 locations:
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]California
[/TD]
[TD]25
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]New York
[/TD]
[TD]20
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Florida
[/TD]
[TD]17
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Georgia
[/TD]
[TD]10
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Virginia
[/TD]
[TD]10
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]New Jersey
[/TD]
[TD]9
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Texas
[/TD]
[TD]9
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]District of Columbia
[/TD]
[TD]8
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Michigan
[/TD]
[TD]7
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Oregon
[/TD]
[TD]7
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Totals by Year & month
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]2-2014
[/TD]
[TD]1
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3-2014
[/TD]
[TD]2
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]4-2014
[/TD]
[TD]5
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]5-2014
[/TD]
[TD]11
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]6-2014
[/TD]
[TD]16
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]7-2014
[/TD]
[TD]38
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]8-2014
[/TD]
[TD]30
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]9-2014
[/TD]
[TD]41
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]10-2014
[/TD]
[TD]41
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]11-2014
[/TD]
[TD]8
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
This leads to the elephant in the room no one is talking about. These drone sightings are accepted as factual with no thought that the pilot could be wrong. The commercial and civilian pilots are being "trained" to spot drones, to look for them. Now, I am afraid everything that was at one time a seagull as example is becoming a drone. Can you imagine a quad keeping up with a landing commercial jet? Really? Its zipping along fpv at 150mph aside the landing 737? I am not saying that there has not been idiot operators and that there has not been any times that they have not been somewhere they shouldn't. I just think its foolish to accept drone near miss sightings as absolute truth 100% of the time. Example. This has not happened, so ok ok call it straw man but...Im at my club flying my 60 size p-47. I am probably flying at most 150-200 above ground altitude. Just flying. Along comes Cessna at around 900-1100 feet above ground. They look down. They see my plane. They report it as a near miss. Is there report questioned? Can I defend myself? Well, yeah maybe I can..but in reality right now its a witch hunt for anything unmanned in the air. FPV or line of sight
Old 11-30-2014, 01:13 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Something similar with UFO sightings....at one time there was a sighting once a day....now days.....you don't hear about them....maybe the 'green men from Mars' couldn't handle our FAA and left????
Old 11-30-2014, 01:20 PM
benjack71

Originally Posted by husafreak
I would like to see a proposal for AMA club flying sites with published and enforced restrictions agreeable to the FAA put in place. I think we already have that but lets make it official and put them on the national airspace map.
So there would be a bubble of protected airspace over and around our hypothetical AMA club field. In it RC aircraft/helis/FPV/drones/rockets/whatever, are limited to "line of sight" distances from the pilot and out of full size aviation airspace. Roof is 400, feet max speed is 200 mph, diameter is 1/2 mile, something like that. Just like the national airspace restrictions around airports but for our tiny RC airfields. And at these fields we can do what we want, in our little bubble, with the FAA's blessing. Traditional RC flying can continue without worry at our club fields. FAA or government restrictions and police actions on unlawful model aircraft flying would not apply to us at our AMA sanctioned flying fields.
We need the AMA to protect our right to fly RC models and we have to disassociate ourselves from those who would cost us our right to fly by irresponsible acts outside of the AMA umbrella. The type of models flown is irrelevant. This is purely a safety, privacy, and security issue.
This is probably where its going. Establish SOME fields for that flying. The problem will be the government. They will require this of all fields and with the slash of a pen it will become unlawful to fly at probably 70% of the rc clubs with anything as much as a paper airplane. But, with that said, your approach is in the right idea. It probably would be the best thing. The criteria to establish the little bubble would be the crux of it all and again I think that it would be limited number that would by the time the fed dissects and bottom feeds it. So, I would look to the AMA to say ok these are the approved fields to fly at, and the other fields you can fly but no fpv flying. You must show an AMA card when you purchase FPV equipment. This is some good ideas in my opinion that would maintain our freedom, and would give the fed a sense of control which all good bottom feeding bureaucrats love.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:24 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Flying my Phantom 2 at the edge of the golf course this afternoon. Experimenting with the Nav waypoint capability (more me learning how to set it up and execute). Golfer stopped after I landed it, and asked if it was a "drone."

Don't think I'd have got that question if I'd been flying my Pulse XT or PZ T-28. In fact, golfers have watched me fly these, and never mentioned "drone." IMO, to the 'layman', a "drone" = a quadcopter flying apparatus...regardless of formal definitions.

EDIT: Before someone gets wound up, I was not on golf course property, and did not fly over an open air gathering of people or over houses. Funny thing, in 1975 the accepted definition of "open air gathering" was 3 people. Looks like it's 2 now. But then again, that's just one FAA guy's opinion, or that of his FSDO...which points to a whole 'nuther problem about the FAA: too much 'opinion' allowed from the judge/jury/executioner FAA inspector

Last edited by VF84sluggo; 11-30-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:25 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm more concerned with the "new" 5 mile radius as two, no make that three of our fields are just at or slightly more than 3 miles from an airport.....where did that come from all of a sudden???
Old 11-30-2014, 01:27 PM
benjack71

Originally Posted by tailskid
I'm more concerned with the "new" 5 mile radius as two, no make that three of our fields are just at or slightly more than 3 miles from an airport.....where did that come from all of a sudden???
Bottom feeding unelected federal government employees who have been ordained by your elected representative to pass and enforce law by merely calling it a regulation.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:34 PM
benjack71

Originally Posted by VF84sluggo
Flying my Phantom 2 at the edge of the golf course this afternoon. Experimenting with the Nav waypoint capability (more me learning how to set it up and execute). Golfer stopped after I landed it, and asked if it was a "drone."

Don't think I'd have got that question if I'd been flying my Pulse XT or PZ T-28. In fact, golfers have watched me fly these, and never mentioned "drone." IMO, to the 'layman', a "drone" = a quadcopter flying apparatus...regardless of formal definitions.
Which is a good thing so far. Again the problem is going to be the fed and the fact they wont see a difference. They will take a one size fits all approach sooner or later. In my opinion, what the AMA needs to do is attempt to become a legally recognized licensing body for the hobby. This part sucks, but I think its our best option. Upon doing so, then they will have to have different classifications of membership, and will probably limit a lot of the flying to ama sanctioned fields. Not eliminating the parkflying or private property per say, but without a doubt curtailing it greatly. How you would do this, is once the ama is recognized as a licensing/governing authority by the fed, you would require a current ama "membership" to purchase FPV equipment. Again, it comes back to the memberships become part of a classification. If you do not intend to fly FPV, then probably not a lot changes. IF you do, then there would probably be a minimum a test, conducted at certain FPV approved fields xx amout of times a year to receive the classification, that would allow you to purchase FPV equipment. Again, all of that hinges on the AMA convincing the fed to allow us to become a licensing body for those permits.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:40 PM
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)

I have always been reluctant to limit an activity, however if fixed wing or helicopter flyers were acting as irresponsibly as the drone flyers have been operating then I would make the same statement. I believe the time is now for the AMA to step up to the plate and disassociate itself from all drone activity. This would mean if an AMA member flies a drone in any manner or under any circumstances then they will no longer be covered by AMA insurance. If the AMA took this stance then there would be no AMA sanctioned club or AMA event that would allow drones to operate and they would have to go elsewhere to fly their drones. This would demonstrate to the FAA and the government in general that the responsible modeling community is no longer condoning those that fly drones and will no longer support their irresponsible activity.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:57 PM
benjack71

Originally Posted by CESSNA 421
I have always been reluctant to limit an activity, however if fixed wing or helicopter flyers were acting as irresponsibly as the drone flyers have been operating then I would make the same statement. I believe the time is now for the AMA to step up to the plate and disassociate itself from all drone activity. This would mean if an AMA member flies a drone in any manner or under any circumstances then they will no longer be covered by AMA insurance. If the AMA took this stance then there would be no AMA sanctioned club or AMA event that would allow drones to operate and they would have to go elsewhere to fly their drones. This would demonstrate to the FAA and the government in general that the responsible modeling community is no longer condoning those that fly drones and will no longer support their irresponsible activity.
that is one approach. I actually understand where you are coming from. What I think is, the AMA should go just the opposite. They should begin a licensing process now for FPV recreational pilots. They should require you to have that license to fly fpv at ama fields. Then, they should petition the FAA to accept them as the licensing body for recreational FPV. If we can pull that off, then you have trained responsible, at least in theory, people enjoying the hobby, and increasing the ranks of the AMA. Then you can turn loose the fed dogs on the youtube fpv idiots.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:18 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by benjack71
Which is a good thing so far. Again the problem is going to be the fed and the fact they wont see a difference. They will take a one size fits all approach sooner or later. In my opinion, what the AMA needs to do is attempt to become a legally recognized licensing body for the hobby. This part sucks, but I think its our best option. Upon doing so, then they will have to have different classifications of membership, and will probably limit a lot of the flying to ama sanctioned fields. Not eliminating the parkflying or private property per say, but without a doubt curtailing it greatly. How you would do this, is once the ama is recognized as a licensing/governing authority by the fed, you would require a current ama "membership" to purchase FPV equipment. Again, it comes back to the memberships become part of a classification. If you do not intend to fly FPV, then probably not a lot changes. IF you do, then there would probably be a minimum a test, conducted at certain FPV approved fields xx amout of times a year to receive the classification, that would allow you to purchase FPV equipment. Again, all of that hinges on the AMA convincing the fed to allow us to become a licensing body for those permits.
Who administers the tests do U endorse the FPV pilot like a Turbine waver. I think the AMA should require all instructors to be certified and all AMA members should have a biannual every 2 years from a designated examiner or certified flight instructor just like full scale pilots ... Now let's talk about the 3rd class medical certificate for RC Flyers. along with a certificate to solo any RC type flying object. with special endorsements for FPV, Quads, jets, planes over 25 lbs, gasoline motors, and Lectrics of 5S or more.

That should ruffle a few feathers. LOL OOPS for got the endorsment for Helis sorry

Last edited by HoundDog; 11-30-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:27 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by tailskid
US Airspace definitions...class D is smallest, with radius generally 5SM. However, there can be extensions for arrival and departure corridors, so one really has to check a sectional to be sure.

See: http://flighttraining.aopa.org/learn.../airspace.html (among others)
Old 11-30-2014, 03:56 PM
HunkaJunk

The government as a whole is incapable of just making a simple rule to be followed or enforced, it's very nature is to grow the control that some stupid, pencil pushing, t-crossing, chair squashing bureaucrat has over that particular thing. In this case it's air space. Mark my words! If you let them ban "drones", the next guy will want "xxxx" banned, restricted, or regulated. The next guy wants "yyyy". It's a never ending cycle of government bureaucratic flatulence!

Just for the sake of full disclosure, I admit that sometimes I am blinded by my seething hatred for government, but history has proven me correct countless times.

Last edited by HunkaJunk; 11-30-2014 at 04:02 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-30-2014, 03:56 PM
tmulligan

Originally Posted by husafreak
I would like to see a proposal for AMA club flying sites with published and enforced restrictions agreeable to the FAA put in place. I think we already have that but lets make it official and put them on the national airspace map.
So there would be a bubble of protected airspace over and around our hypothetical AMA club field. In it RC aircraft/helis/FPV/drones/rockets/whatever, are limited to "line of sight" distances from the pilot and out of full size aviation airspace. Roof is 400, feet max speed is 200 mph, diameter is 1/2 mile, something like that. Just like the national airspace restrictions around airports but for our tiny RC airfields. And at these fields we can do what we want, in our little bubble, with the FAA's blessing. Traditional RC flying can continue without worry at our club fields. FAA or government restrictions and police actions on unlawful model aircraft flying would not apply to us at our AMA sanctioned flying fields.
We need the AMA to protect our right to fly RC models and we have to disassociate ourselves from those who would cost us our right to fly by irresponsible acts outside of the AMA umbrella. The type of models flown is irrelevant. This is purely a safety, privacy, and security issue.
I think this may prove to be a terrific idea.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:09 PM
Maximilionalpha

Originally Posted by HunkaJunk
The government as a whole is incapable of just making a simple rule to be followed or enforced, it's very nature is to grow the control that some stupid, pencil pushing, t-crossing, chair squashing bureaucrat has over that particular thing. In this case it's air space. Mark my words! If you let them ban "drones", the next guy will want "xxxx" banned, restricted, or regulated. The next guy wants "yyyy". It's a never ending cycle of government bureaucratic flatulence!

Just for the sake of full disclosure, I admit that sometimes I am blinded by my seething hatred for government, but history has proven me correct countless times.
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." When the people fear the government, tyranny has found victory. The federal government is our servant, not our master!"
Old 11-30-2014, 04:13 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

^^^^^^ +1
Old 11-30-2014, 04:23 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Default The utlimate Drone

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/loc...dra-1664794021
Old 11-30-2014, 05:07 PM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

I do not think we have much to worry about.
I do not believe that we are the center piece of drone regulation. There seems to be a huge push to use drones commercially for all sorts of activities. I saw an FAA Administrator interview on a TV News show today. He spoke about the dangers to airplanes and about the commercial advantages to using this technology. He mentioned the 400 foot limit and restrictions about flying near airports and about the concerns of pilots. He mentioned the AMA as an after thought
Old 11-30-2014, 05:20 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I'm an advocate for LOS only, no FPV for PIC, a 400' AGL absolute limit, no flight within 5NM of class D airport or horizontal limits of class C or B airports, no flight within the lateral limits of a VR, IR, or SR military training route during the periods of operation, and no flight in restricted or prohibited airspace. That vastly reduces the risk of RC airplanes, drones, etc. coming into contact with full scale in a policy that can be defined in a simple sentence (therefore easily enforced, communicated, managed, and understood). Most of all, it also makes it consistent everywhere in US.
Why? There is no need for this. No major incidents at all. See and avoid works just fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.