Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

time to stop the dromes..........NOW

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

time to stop the dromes..........NOW

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 12:01 PM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flapwad
That 25% statistic might be off just a bit:

Current US population= 317 million
Total US persons incarcerated = 2.3 million
= 0.73%
Even if you add in all those on probation and parole, the rate is "only" 2.2%
Other countries jail at a higher rate, but because the average US sentence is MUCH longer than other developed nations, we house the highest percentage of our population in jail at any given time.

So we're bad, but not THAT bad.

The US does house about 25% of the world's total prisoners, maybe that's what you were thinking of?
lol!! Yes, you are correct. Brain fart. We are 5% of the worlds population, yet have 25% of the worlds prisoners. 25% of the US in prison would be crazy!
Old 12-05-2014, 12:30 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Yes, it is apparent your mind has blanked out. Good luck with that.
Nice bit of snark, but you will never be troll. You didn't answer my question. Who is "Rich Hanson" and are you sure that you quoted him correctly?
Old 12-05-2014, 12:50 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by bradpaul
However the FAA Interpretation states that nothing stops the FAA from making rules and regulations that apply to all "aircraft". They just can't make a new rule or regulation that only applies only to "model aircraft".
Exactly.

Originally Posted by bradpaul
So under their existing authority to regulate the usage of airspace they can limit "model aircraft: to 400' and if they decide that all pilots of aircraft need a license and medical they can require that for "model aircraft" pilots.

Remember the TSA just declared "model aircraft" to be "aircraft"
I suppose they could make any rule they want, but they haven't yet, and I think they are unlikely to do so. You do know that it is possible, though not in all circumstances, but in enough circumstances, to use a valid drivers license to qualify for a Sport Pilot Certificate, don't you? That being the case, why would that do it to model aviation enthusiasts when the law says they may not, unless there exists a clear recognized danger to the NAS? The FAA has a tight budget and a lot of serious things to do, they are not going to waste time doing stupid unnecessary things.

TSA? Did you mean the NTSB court decision (yes SP, in the legal sense) that acknowledged that any man made flying object is an aircraft? I think the decision was "an aircraft is an aircraft, no matter how small.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:05 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by JohnShe
Nice bit of snark, but you will never be troll. You didn't answer my question. Who is "Rich Hanson" and are you sure that you quoted him correctly?
AMA Headquarters staff member and yes, though I didn't quote him directly I am sure I correctly related something that was attributed to him in the minutes of cited meeting that you were unable or unwilling to bother looking up to easily verify for yourself.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:35 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by mike1974
lol!! Yes, you are correct. Brain fart. We are 5% of the worlds population, yet have 25% of the worlds prisoners. 25% of the US in prison would be crazy!
Hey, criminals need a institution of higher learning too...
Old 12-05-2014, 04:13 PM
bradpaul

October 11, 2014 EC Minutes

Council was informed that the FAA cancelled Advisory Circular 91-57. They have been working on a new replacement advisory circular that would reconcile the differences between the old 91-57 and Section 336. Hanson was surprised that they did not have a new one in place before they cancelled 91-57. For modelers, this means there are two ways they can operate, under 336 which means you must be an AMA member, or by filing a CFR. Hanson believes we (AMA) will get to see the new AC before it is final; he expects it will be a reconciliation of AC 91-57, Section 336 and the Interpretive Rule. The new AC could go out to comment, but it is not required. The message we need to convey to our members is they should follow the AMA Safety Code.

(Note: On the Monday following this meeting the FAA rescinded their cancellation of AC 91-57.)
Old 12-05-2014, 05:37 PM
JohnShe

AMA Headquarters staff member and yes, though I didn't quote him directly I am sure I correctly related something that was attributed to him in the minutes of cited meeting that you were unable or unwilling to bother looking up to easily verify for yourself.
The word is unable, I don't have a clue where to find those minutes or seconds for that matter. But, it doesn't really matter what an AMA staff member says about being forced to join the AMA, the conflict of interest would sink a nuclear powered aircraft carrier. The FAA has not said that it has recognized a CBO and will not say it. Their actual problem is they cannot officially recognize a CBO without generating a conflict of interest problem themselves. However, if some CJ come lately where to show up with a fresh set of safety guidelines, they would evaluate them the same way they have evaluated the AMA guidelines.

You will note from the FAA interpretation that there is a difference of opinion on the efficacy of the Advanced Flight Systems Operations program. The AMA could have resolved it quite easily through negotiation if they had not invalidated the AMA/FAA memorandum of agreement with their ill-advised lawsuit.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:02 PM
cj_rumley

You will note from the FAA interpretation that there is a difference of opinion on the efficacy of the Advanced Flight Systems Operations program. The AMA could have resolved it quite easily through negotiation if they had not invalidated the AMA/FAA memorandum of agreement with their ill-advised lawsuit.
Well, what can one expect from a measly $1,000,000 more or less expended on lobbying congress and creating the appurtenances of a CBO? I don't think the ill-advised lawsuit has been initiated, only a filing of notice that such is being contemplated. Things may change when AMA' s lawyer gets spanked in the Pirker case.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:54 PM
JohnShe

Well, what can one expect from a measly $1,000,000 more or less expended on lobbying congress and creating the appurtenances of a CBO? I don't think the ill-advised lawsuit has been initiated, only a filing of notice that such is being contemplated. Things may change when AMA' s lawyer gets spanked in the Pirker case.
technically it is not really a lawsuit, it is a petition for a court review of the FAA interpretation of section 336. The latest report from the AMA says:

"On Tuesday, November 18, 2014, the DC Court of Appeals ruled in favor of a motion to hold the petition for review in abeyance."

Which definitely means that it has been filed in the courts. The judge has given the AMA a second chance to negotiate a deal with the FAA but the AMA idiots are too dumb to see it for what it is. It is already too late.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:32 PM
NorfolkSouthern

technically it is not really a lawsuit, it is a petition for a court review of the FAA interpretation of section 336. The latest report from the AMA says:

"On Tuesday, November 18, 2014, the DC Court of Appeals ruled in favor of a motion to hold the petition for review in abeyance."

Which definitely means that it has been filed in the courts. The judge has given the AMA a second chance to negotiate a deal with the FAA but the AMA idiots are too dumb to see it for what it is. It is already too late.
Let them throw the AMA under the bus. Either way, I have nothing to lose.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:19 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
Let them throw the AMA under the bus. Either way, I have nothing to lose.
As dumb as the AMA leadership is, we need them for the safety guidelines. So we, can't just throw them under the bus.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:13 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As dumb as the AMA leadership is, we need them for the safety guidelines. So we, can't just throw them under the bus.
Jonney U know anyone (in your humble opinion) that would be QUALIFIED, willing and able
to serve as the AMA leadership?Other than maybe U and Horseyfly.
The 2 smartest people, along with sporty P, on earth.

LOL
Old 12-06-2014, 12:15 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by hounddog
jonney u know anyone (in your humble opinion) that would be qualified, willing and able
to serve as the ama leadership?other than maybe u and horseyfly.
The 2 smartest people, along with sporty p, on earth.

lol
rotflmao!
Old 12-08-2014, 01:07 PM
Maximilionalpha

This is what the FAA, needs to really concern itself with and stay out of the rc hobbyists, lives.... http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/3-u...ome/ar-BBguMYr
Old 12-08-2014, 02:44 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Are you trying to score some type of points for your position based on this terrible loss of life? Really a horrible attempt to attribute one thing to another.

I'm sure the FAA is going to be concerned about this, as well as other govt agencies too.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:02 PM
Maximilionalpha

No points to be scored. Extremely terrible situation, indeed.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:23 PM
Silent-AV8R

Your citation says "To operate under 336 means you must be an AMA member (ref Rich Hanson, Oct 11 EC meeting)" That is so untrue that my mind blanked out when I saw it. The FAA cannot force anyone to join any organization that is a guaranteed right under the 1st amendment. Who is "Rich Hanson" and are you sure that you quoted him correctly?
You already got the answer as to who Rich Hanson is. That you did not know who he is troubles me since you spend a lot of time in the AMA forum and Rich's name has been all over anything that the AMA has done or said regarding the FAA. And I can say that he was quoted correctly. In fact, here is what he told me in an email when I asked him this question directly:

Operating “within the programming” means you have to meet the requirements for program participation established by the CBO. In AMA’s case that means you must be a member.
It is true that making people join the AMA might be a problem if that is what they are in fact doing. But the law does not stipulate the AMA, it simply says "a CBO." Right now the AMA is the only show in town. However, if/when other CBOs pop up then you can have a choice.

Around here, LA County Parks REQUIRES AMA membership to fly at Whittier Narrows, so at least on the county level they can get away with it. They REQUIRE NAMBA (A RC boat CBO) membership to run boats at Legg Lake, also in Whittier Narrows park. Never been an issue.

One other comment on this. Since the very start of this long and winding road the FAA has been clear that they can see multiple paths to compliance. Section 336 gives one such path. For those who choose not to follow Section 336 I am certain that the FAA will have rules pertaining to model aircraft in the coming sUAS Rule. P.L. 112-95 only prohibits new model aircraft rules for those operations conducted under Section 336. So it makes sense that the FAA will provide a structure for those who freely choose not to follow Section 336, which requires belonging to a CBO.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:35 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
You already got the answer as to who Rich Hanson is. That you did not know who he is troubles me .
This brings up a question. I know there are always people who feel the need to have a " Cause ". That being said, of everyone participating in this thread how many of you are current AMA members who actively fly your models? By actively I mean minimum one trip to an AMA site per month. As for myself I have been an AMA member since 1977 and fly at least 3 times a month. I suspect Bill ( Silent-AV8R ) does too.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:41 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Once a month? Gee, old geezers like me fly at the closest AMA field about 3-4 times a week.....I never knew retirement could be so much fun!
Old 12-09-2014, 09:56 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
This brings up a question. I know there are always people who feel the need to have a " Cause ". That being said, of everyone participating in this thread how many of you are current AMA members who actively fly your models? By actively I mean minimum one trip to an AMA site per month. As for myself I have been an AMA member since 1977 and fly at least 3 times a month. I suspect Bill ( Silent-AV8R ) does too.
Be that as it may, I have it via a good source he is a FPV flyer and can be found flying on the wrong side of the tracks. LOL
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2014-12-09 at 11.51.16 AM.png
Views:	64
Size:	732.8 KB
ID:	2053350  
Old 12-09-2014, 10:03 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by tailskid
Once a month? Gee, old geezers like me fly at the closest AMA field about 3-4 times a week.....I never knew retirement could be so much fun!
Yea one day I will get there. Right now I have 4 teenagers at home. Not really trying to start anything here but I see a high percentage of guys who only participate in the AMA threads. Just wondering if everyone here has a stake in what the future holds or just likes to be in the hotbed of controversy?
Old 12-09-2014, 10:19 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
You already got the answer as to who Rich Hanson is. That you did not know who he is troubles me since you spend a lot of time in the AMA forum and Rich's name has been all over anything that the AMA has done or said regarding the FAA. And I can say that he was quoted correctly. In fact, here is what he told me in an email when I asked him this question directly:

Operating “within the programming” means you have to meet the requirements for program participation established by the CBO. In AMA’s case that means you must be a member.

It is true that making people join the AMA might be a problem if that is what they are in fact doing. But the law does not stipulate the AMA, it simply says "a CBO." Right now the AMA is the only show in town. However, if/when other CBOs pop up then you can have a choice.

Around here, LA County Parks REQUIRES AMA membership to fly at Whittier Narrows, so at least on the county level they can get away with it. They REQUIRE NAMBA (A RC boat CBO) membership to run boats at Legg Lake, also in Whittier Narrows park. Never been an issue.

One other comment on this. Since the very start of this long and winding road the FAA has been clear that they can see multiple paths to compliance. Section 336 gives one such path. For those who choose not to follow Section 336 I am certain that the FAA will have rules pertaining to model aircraft in the coming sUAS Rule. P.L. 112-95 only prohibits new model aircraft rules for those operations conducted under Section 336. So it makes sense that the FAA will provide a structure for those who freely choose not to follow Section 336, which requires belonging to a CBO.
Yes, now I know who you are talking about. I don't pay much attention to him and tend to forget about him. A private message is not an official AMA statement. And, he is dead wrong. The law says to follow the guidelines. It says nothing about having to be a CBO a member and neither does the FAA interpretation.

If you cannot or will not follow section 336 then you will be subject to whatever sUAS or UAS regulations that the FAA writes. meanwhile I will be laughing all the way to my AMA club field. I am certain, that I could find other places to fly if I wanted to, but the AMA club field is good enough for me and the dues are not too onerous.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:36 AM
littlecrankshaf

Yes, now I know who you are talking about. I don't pay much attention to him and tend to forget about him. A private message is not an official AMA statement. And, he is dead wrong. The law says to follow the guidelines. It says nothing about having to be a CBO a member and neither does the FAA interpretation.

If you cannot or will not follow section 336 then you will be subject to whatever sUAS or UAS regulations that the FAA writes. meanwhile I will be laughing all the way to my AMA club field. I am certain, that I could find other places to fly if I wanted to, but the AMA club field is good enough for me and the dues are not too onerous.
John,

Come on now...fess up. You really have no real Idea who Rich H. is or who Silent Aviator is either for that matter... But you could probably do his job without any real change noticed. LOL
Old 12-09-2014, 11:31 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
John,

Come on now...fess up. You really have no real Idea who Rich H. is or who Silent Aviator is either for that matter... But you could probably do his job without any real change noticed. LOL
Silent Aviator posts in the forum, that id all I know or care to know. I know who Rich H. is, he just doesn't impress me.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:55 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie

Almost every day of the year i go to one field or another 3 in Wisconsin and 1 in Arizona. Been instructing lately if U call that flying. The Treasurer of our Lake Land R/C in Wisconsin actually made every flyable and a couple not too flyable. The bad thing about being retired is U gota be so OLD the good thing every day is Saturday and your (Dayley) Flying Buddys are as old or older than U.
Hell One of our senior flyers was my Industrial Arts Teacher (Blue Print Reading) in High School. and I graduated in '62.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.