Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 08:18 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lamoilleriver
Tell that to the pilot and passengers who landed in the Hudson River.
That wasn't one bird, it was a flock of birds. Several birds were ingested at once in each engine and geese at that! One small drone is not going to put out two jet engines, and until people are flying flocks of drones it is still a minor safety issue that does now warrant a drastic measure such as registering which most will not do anyway!
Old 11-20-2015, 08:20 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by franklin_m
A bird with flesh and frangible bones less damage than a drone with steel and LiPo batteries? You have no understanding of physics, nor do you have an understand of how much of the risk posed by engine failures.
Steel and lipo will not make any difference. Just as a frozen chicken will not make any difference than an thawed chicken in the engine tests. At those speeds hardness makes very very little difference.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:22 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by TexasFlyBoy
Please get help! This has become BAT**** CRAZY!!! Oh just think, if that one bird had only been registered, with an identification band on its fleshy little foot. There would have been a record of the nick in this precious little birds beak from when it bounced off the window displaying its irresponsible behavior and the authorities would have saved the day.
LOL a very good point!
Old 11-20-2015, 08:24 AM
F-16 viperman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too bad You can't FOD screen a turbofan like You can a turbojet , for obvious reasons. I have screens on all My turbojets
Old 11-20-2015, 08:47 AM
Lamoilleriver

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
That wasn't one bird, it was a flock of birds. Several birds were ingested at once in each engine and geese at that! One small drone is not going to put out two jet engines, and until people are flying flocks of drones it is still a minor safety issue that does now warrant a drastic measure such as registering which most will not do anyway!
Just to be clear, in no way do I support registration, have not seen any post to convince me that registration would increase safety.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:00 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Just to be clear, in no way do I support registration, have not seen any post to convince me that registration would increase safety.
So you have 100% confidence in this forum for definitive answers regarding safety? I sure hope you don't depend on it for medical advice as well.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:06 AM
rcmiket

Your absolutely right as far as the "would increase safety" remark.

Mike.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:11 AM
F-16 viperman

This is a cash, freedom, and power grab. pure and simple. DJI already programs the new ones not operate within 5 miles of controlled airspace. FAA could set rules to make that any distance They want. If it's drones They are mostly worried about, It's not that complicated! I'm gonna go listen to Green day's American idiot now. LOL
Old 11-20-2015, 09:48 AM
Lamoilleriver

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
So you have 100% confidence in this forum for definitive answers regarding safety? I sure hope you don't depend on it for medical advice as well.
What is the color of the sky in your world?
Old 11-20-2015, 09:48 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
Nope....
Looks like your right as far as when we'll get a look at the recommendations.

Mike

https://www.transportation.gov/fastl...ng%20to-step-2
Old 11-20-2015, 10:33 AM
franklin_m

Please get help! This has become BAT**** CRAZY!!! Oh just think, if that one bird had only been registered, with an identification band on its fleshy little foot. There would have been a record of the nick in this precious little birds beak from when it bounced off the window displaying its irresponsible behavior and the authorities would have saved the day.
You obviously don't understanding how registration fits into a comprehensive policy implementation. Registration in and of itself will not prevent poor pilot decision making any more than do license plates prevent poor driving decisions. However registration, just like license plates, make it easier to identify and track down offenders.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:46 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Looks like your right as far as when we'll get a look at the recommendations.

Mike

https://www.transportation.gov/fastl...ng%20to-step-2
Alright...everyone to the field to fly !!!!!!
Old 11-20-2015, 11:30 AM
F-16 viperman

Originally Posted by F-16 viperman
This is a cash, freedom, and power grab. pure and simple. DJI already programs the new ones not operate within 5 miles of controlled airspace. FAA could set rules to make that any distance They want. If it's drones They are mostly worried about, It's not that complicated! I'm gonna go listen to Green day's American idiot now. LOL
In addition, I believe most that are intelligent enough to build their own would know better what is safe, and anyone who would purposely use one to do harm should go to jail. Period! Why mess with everybody's freedoms, when simpler solutions are available? Sometimes I think people would rather bikker, than look for obvious solutions.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:20 PM
TexasFlyBoy
My Feedback: (30)

You obviously don't understanding how registration fits into a comprehensive policy implementation. Registration in and of itself will not prevent poor pilot decision making any more than do license plates prevent poor driving decisions. However registration, just like license plates, make it easier to identify and track down offenders.
Thank you for acknowledging that registration prevents nothing. I understand perfectly what registration will do. It will bring down the heavy hand of bureaucracy on our hobby where it does not belong and cannot serve any reality based purpose. It will not and can not prevent anything. It will, as most liberal policies do, cost everybody a lot of money to accomplish absolutely nothing toward a problem that is practically nonexistent. Do you really believe that these few losers that are flying UAV's in a manner dangerous to full scale aircraft are going to be standing in line to register their toy so you can track them down? If so, you might need another cup of coffee! WAKE UP AMERICA!!!
Old 11-20-2015, 12:30 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

So you're saying here's absolutely no relationship between driving decisions and identification? So you think everyone would drive exactly the way they drive today if license plates were eliminated tomorrow?

I'd argue otherwise.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:41 PM
franklin_m

So you're saying here's absolutely no relationship between driving decisions and identification? So you think everyone would drive exactly the way they drive today if license plates were eliminated tomorrow?

I'd argue otherwise.
No, what I said that t's necessary but not sufficient. It is however part of the solution. If you're arguing that people behave differently because their car is registered .... don't look now but you just made the argument why registration is a good thing for sUAS - including those flown by AMA members.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:45 PM
franklin_m

Thank you for acknowledging that registration prevents nothing. I understand perfectly what registration will do. It will bring down the heavy hand of bureaucracy on our hobby where it does not belong and cannot serve any reality based purpose.
What I said was that registration in and of itself won't prevent it, but as part of a larger program implementation, it's a necessary part of the solution. As for whether or not our hobby needs additional regulation, I happen to disagree. Large and fast sUAS, allowed by AMA under the LMA/LTMA programs, represent quite a risk to people and property on the ground - and at least two well publicized near disasters recently (one resulted in injury) only emphasize that point.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:21 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

No, what I said that t's necessary but not sufficient. It is however part of the solution. If you're arguing that people behave differently because their car is registered .... don't look now but you just made the argument why registration is a good thing for sUAS - including those flown by AMA members.
Yes, I'm arguing that people behave differently because their car is registered and have a visible license plate.

I think registration is a good thing for the sUAS and support it. Personally, I think licensing would be even better than registration, but apparently, that's not happening, well, at least not yet. Full scale pilots have licenses, why can't sUAS pilots have licenses too? Make folks study and take an written exam so there are no more damn excuses about what the rules and regulations are. Make them accountable so their license can be revoked for irresponsible operations. Yeah, what's the bid deal with licensing. The only reason it's not happening is cost/time to implement, but who knows what the future holds.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:50 PM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

Yes, I'm arguing that people behave differently because their car is registered and have a visible license plate.

I think registration is a good thing for the sUAS and support it. Personally, I think licensing would be even better than registration, but apparently, that's not happening, well, at least not yet. Full scale pilots have licenses, why can't sUAS pilots have licenses too? Make folks study and take an written exam so there are no more damn excuses about what the rules and regulations are. Make them accountable so their license can be revoked for irresponsible operations. Yeah, what's the bid deal with licensing. The only reason it's not happening is cost/time to implement, but who knows what the future holds.
Here is the one situation where I would register/get a license. If it meant I could fly non-los "legally" I would not think twice about doing it. Every other aircraft I fly is already flown in accordance with the AMA safety code, so no need to register/license.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:07 PM
rcmiket

I'd argue otherwise.
What's the difference? With or without plates people drive like crap. Guess you don't have automobiles in "somewhere" .
Driving while texting is illegal but I see it everywhere i go.
Mike
Old 11-20-2015, 02:09 PM
franklin_m

Wow...we finally agree. I'm all for licensing of all sUAS pilots. Annual online knowledge test, eye test (upload recent document would be sufficient, under penalty of perjury sort of approach), lots of possibilities. But boy, if there's this much outrage over putting a silly number on the exterior of a sUAS, I can only imagine what would happen if they mandated licenses.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:20 PM
porcia83
Banned

Everyone agrees with Bacon eventually!
Old 11-20-2015, 02:26 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Everyone agrees with Bacon eventually!

I have yet to experience such an elusive moment.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:33 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
I have yet to experience such an elusive moment.
Patience grasshopper....this isn't something that can be rushed. Some say it's more difficult and improbable than spotting the ultra rare Inaccessible Island rail. Think big though, it can happen, and often when you least expect it. You'll know when it happens...we all will.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:38 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Registration is the first step towards making small toy flyers accountable. That's all. Nobody is suggesting that it solves any problems, but it's the first logical step.
I think my AMA number is sufficient and I don't see why the AMA can't turn my number and contact info over to the Feds. I don't see why I should have to get involved with that.
I admit to slacking off when it comes to IDing my planes, but now that this has become an issue I'll be sure to do a better job of that.
We have a local sign maker who can whip out self adhesive vinyl decals very affordably and I'll bet there's a shop like this in every town.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.