Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Yes or No , Do you think the AMA was right or wrong to embrace DRONES ?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: Was it a mistake or not for the AMA to embrace drones ?
Yes
77.25%
No
22.75%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Yes or No , Do you think the AMA was right or wrong to embrace DRONES ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 11:32 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

By establishing a protocol for how drones should be flown at AMA fields, the AMA "embraced" drones.
Before this, there was at least one editorial [that I recall] in the AMA mag that stated their case for why we must embrace this new technology.

Next.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:58 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jester_s1
........The question asks whether or not the AMA made a mistake doing something that they actually never did. So the question is not valid.................................
.................................................. .....it was necessary for the AMA to embrace drones in some form for the good of RC as a whole. They are here whether you like it or not, and there is so much overlap between the two hobbies that the AMA would have been foolish not to get involved in it.............
In one sentence , the question is not valid cause the AMA didn't embrace drones .........

And in the other sentence , the AMA HAD to embrace drones for the good of all RC .............

I realize that you don't like the fact that 82% of your fellow respondents feel it was a mistake for the AMA to go "Romancing the Drone" (as it were) , but it takes a lot of nerve to first tell me my poll is invalid only to turn around and praise the AMA for doing what you claim they haven't done .

Last edited by init4fun; 12-17-2015 at 04:30 AM.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:00 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Poll was unfair. There wasn't a "I don't have a clue" choice.
I hear ya , next time I gotta add a

"Don't give a Hoot , I do RC sailboats" answer just to shake things up
Old 11-30-2015, 02:17 PM
pkoury
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure how to vote the "or not" muddies up the question. If I vote yes does it mean yes it was a mistake or does it mean yes it was not a mistake?
Old 11-30-2015, 02:34 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by pkoury
Not sure how to vote the "or not" muddies up the question. If I vote yes does it mean yes it was a mistake or does it mean yes it was not a mistake?
Sorry for the confusion ,

Yes = A mistake

No = Not a mistake .

I'll make sure my next poll is more accurately worded . Happy Voting
Old 11-30-2015, 02:38 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Prop_Washer2
You can replace the word "Drone" in the polling question with the word "Helicopter"...now how does that work for you..??
You can replace the word "Drone" in the polling question with the word "ANYTHING" and there going to be any number of people that won't like something about it. I believe the AMA is doing the correct thing. If they didn't then the DOT/FAA would be even harsher on all R/C Toys. Endorsing Drones and trying to EDUCATE those that fly Drones as to the proper Way, Place and when and especially NOT to Operate any R/C TOY (That Flies) contrary to the FARs/Rules/Safety Code. This should be the goal of the AMA and every AMA member. Drones are here they are staying here and People had better get used to it. Baring a congressional pr Presidential ORDER, They arn't going away any time soon. There are just too many of them and after Christmas their numbers will double. Somebody (AMA, AMA Members the FAA, News Media, someone had better get the word out to all that wish to fly any TOY R/C Craft as to How/When/Where to fly. If we don't doit we'll be the ones to suffer along with the whole industry. Mark my words ... Educating the masses is the only thing that is going to save this Hobby/Sport, as we know it. Nothing is going to change the minds of the HATERS out there They just love to hate something. I'll bet some don't even like Puppies or them selves when it comes right down to it.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:44 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok guys, I've already had to remove a couple posts that were off topic that were made to stir up trouble in the thread. Let's keep the discussion on the topic here and not attacking each other please. It's pretty simple. Ok?? Thanks.

Ken
Old 11-30-2015, 02:48 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Prop_Washer2
You can replace the word "Drone" in the polling question with the word "Helicopter"...now how does that work for you..??
You can replace the word "Drone" in the polling question with the word "ANYTHING" and there going to be any number of people that won't like something about it. I believe the AMA is doing the correct thing. If they didn't then the DOT/FAA would be even harsher on all R/C Toys. Endorsing Drones and trying to EDUCATE those that fly Drones as to the proper Way, Place and when and especially NOT to Operate any R/C TOY (That Flies) contrary to the FARs/Rules/Safety Code. This should be the goal of the AMA and every AMA member. Drones are here they are staying here and People had better get used to it. Baring a congressional pr Presidential ORDER, They arn't going away any time soon. There are just too many of them and after Christmas their numbers will double. Somebody (AMA, AMA Members the FAA, News Media, someone had better get the word out to all that wish to fly any TOY R/C Craft as to How/When/Where to fly. If we don't doit we'll be the ones to suffer along with the whole industry. Mark my words ... Educating the masses is the only thing that is going to save this Hobby/Sport, as we know it. Nothing is going to change the minds of the HATERS out there They just love to hate something. I'll bet some don't even like Puppies or them selves when it comes right down to it.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:51 PM
HoundDog

Here Look at this add right here on RCU and tell me we should not endorse the education and the proper use of "DRONES"
https://us.store.parrot.com/en/bebop...tml#/color-red
Old 11-30-2015, 02:58 PM
init4fun

It's a shame that some folks here can't discuss this without insulting the fellow posters with labels like "haters" .......

I guess it's easy to dismiss the opposing viewpoint when we demonize those on the other side , Huh Hound ? Well buddy , insult all you want , but know that while you hurl your insults , your insulting the greater majority of your fellow hobbyists , what's it , at 78 % now , that are "haters" in your all knowing pigeon holing of those who don't agree with you ?

Present your point . feel free to do so . But go and personally attack those on the opposite side and you can EXPECT to be called out on it !
Old 11-30-2015, 04:10 PM
thepamster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Here Look at this add right here on RCU and tell me we should not endorse the education and the proper use of "DRONES"
https://us.store.parrot.com/en/bebop...tml#/color-red
...Because this is not a model aircraft. This is a remotely controlled video recording platform, a tri-pod that flies.
Sure it is capable of recording an actual model aircraft flying responsibly at your local flying field but it is not a model aircraft.
You can even get your friends together who have one of these and even race them. You can also perform any number of aerobatic routines with one as well. That does not however, change what they are. They are drones.

For more information about how to safely operate your new drone, please contact your dealer or manufacture for details.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:39 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by thepamster
...because this is not a model aircraft.
oh really?...........
[attach=config]2133284[/attach]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bell_X-22_side.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	2133284  
Old 11-30-2015, 04:40 PM
lonestoner

As a smart business move it is wise to evolve and be creative and generate more ways to produce revenue.if anyone should be in the forefront of any rc flying anything it has to be the AMA.we are the ambassadors and reps of rc flying.
I love the AMA field here in Muncie and recommend you all fly here and see how much they put into keeping up the 1200 acres of flying fields here,
Fly rc !
Old 11-30-2015, 05:17 PM
TimJ

This poll is misleading. I voted incorrectly.

I believe the poll should be deleted. Start over and correctly format the poll and question.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:33 PM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TimJ

I believe the poll should be deleted. Start over and correctly format the poll and question.
I can see how the odd person could read it wrong but is that really enough to warrant this request?
Old 11-30-2015, 05:43 PM
thepamster

oh really?...........
I stand corrected. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. Lol. I had to google that to see for myself and wow. I can';t believe that thing actually flew. What the heck do I know anyway? Still my opinion, and my vote, remains the same.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:53 PM
TheEdge
Banned

Default She didn't just say that did she?

I stand corrected. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. Lol. I had to google that to see for myself and wow. I can';t believe that thing actually flew. What the heck do I know anyway? Still my opinion, and my vote, remains the same.
That's why the songs about those magnificent men and their flying machines I guess.

Name:	head in hands.png
Views:	36
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	2133290  
Old 11-30-2015, 06:06 PM
TimJ

This stuff is why I laugh at all whom say traditional model aircraft......

Name:	boeing-bell-v22-osprey-carring-m777.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	2133298  
Old 11-30-2015, 06:10 PM
TheEdge
Banned

But that isn't a model.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:14 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by lonestoner
I love the AMA field here in Muncie and recommend you all fly here and see how much they put into keeping up the 1200 acres of flying fields here,
Fly rc !

I'm glad someone is getting some use out of it.

51- Yes to 12- No on the vote, I would say pretty much a landslide.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 11-30-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:50 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does NOT autonomous and LOS make you feel better? Multiple propellers a drone does not make!

Astro
Old 11-30-2015, 06:54 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I'm glad someone is getting some use out of it.

51- Yes to 12- No on the vote, I would say pretty much a landslide.

Mike
Gotta give credit where credit is due Mike. Two people that can't read voted "wrong".

Regards,

Astro
Old 11-30-2015, 06:55 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by init4fun
It's a shame that some folks here can't discuss this without insulting the fellow posters with labels like "haters" .......

I guess it's easy to dismiss the opposing viewpoint when we demonize those on the other side , Huh Hound ? Well buddy , insult all you want , but know that while you hurl your insults , your insulting the greater majority of your fellow hobbyists , what's it , at 78 % now , that are "haters" in your all knowing pigeon holing of those who don't agree with you ?

It's not an insult. What would U call people that don't like something just because they don't do it. There's a whole thread about people that think some people aren't real R/Cers unless they Build from scratch and fly with an IC form of power U know The Traditional way.

Present your point . feel free to do so . But go and personally attack those on the opposite side and you can EXPECT to be called out on it !
Just stated a fact and if U or anyone doesn't agree so be it ... But time (the day after Christmas) will prove to be interesting to say the least. AMA members are already out numbered almost 2 to 1 by others that fly some form of R/C. People that no nothing of the AMA and don't care about things like FAR's Rules Safety Codes. Now there are about another million to enter the fray shortly after Christmas. It doesn't look like the the LHS, Manufactures, Sellers are going to make any attempt to even tell the new Droners that there are Rules that have to be followed. If we (AMA) don't try to educate them they will bring all of us down with them. Simple as that. So People can put their heads in the sand and dislike Drones all they want, but when the Crap hits the fan every is going to get some on them.

Last edited by HoundDog; 11-30-2015 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:14 PM
combatpigg

None of the folks who have their heads screwed on straight had any problems with the poll.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:24 PM
combatpigg

If that model is being flown manually within LOS, then it is Traditional RC.
That's all that matters.
I'm amazed that so many "Masters Of New Age Technology" are so slow to catch on to such a basic, simple, elementary school level concept.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.