Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Yes or No , Do you think the AMA was right or wrong to embrace DRONES ?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: Was it a mistake or not for the AMA to embrace drones ?
Yes
77.25%
No
22.75%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Yes or No , Do you think the AMA was right or wrong to embrace DRONES ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 08:19 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by islandflyer
I generally like the winners. I hope we eventually win this fight.
I don't enjoy the whiners too much though.
Herve, one thing is for sure. If Federal regulations for Traditional RCers ever become so restrictive that it kills membership and interest in this sport...there will be 180,000 people who will claim that they were 100% AGAINST the AMA choosing to sanction ANY sort of Drone Ops.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:39 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Herve, one thing is for sure. If Federal regulations for Traditional RCers ever become so restrictive that it kills membership and interest in this sport...there will be 180,000 people who will claim that they were 100% AGAINST the AMA choosing to sanction ANY sort of Drone Ops.
Make that 179,999
Old 12-04-2015, 08:48 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Make that 179,999
Let's see.........ONE out of 180,000..........

Talk about infinitesimal.........

Astro
Old 12-04-2015, 09:01 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by astrohog
Let's see.........ONE out of 180,000..........

Astro
May be Infinitesimal But still right
Besides as it stands and if the FAA does adopt the recommendation of the "Registration Task Force" all we have to do is Register and put the number in the windshield of our Traditional R/C craft. Doesn't sound like a terribly difficult thing to accomplish. Just hope it will satisfy them for a while.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:04 PM
combatpigg

let's see.........one out of 180,000..........

Astro
lol...!!!
Old 12-04-2015, 09:12 PM
astrohog

May be Infinitesimal But still right
Well, since YOU said so.............A true megalomaniac!
Just hope it will satisfy them for a while.

You keep hoping (see how that works out for ya!) and others will keep on fighting the good fight! (win or lose).

Astro
Old 12-05-2015, 07:33 AM
HoundDog

Well, since YOU said so.............A true megalomaniac!

You keep hoping (see how that works out for ya!) and others will keep on fighting the good fight! (win or lose).

Astro
Very Very well, Thank You
Much better than fighting change and the inevitable.
Quads MR's Drones are here why continue to fight a loosing fight.
Too much MONEY in it all ready. The more they are banned by Small Minded Public Officials, the more they will be joining the AMA and taking over your field. Better to embrace the inevitable and live with it than be displaced by it. Just Saying It's your/our choice. Their here, over a million strong after Xmas.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:47 AM
ltc

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

From a current membership perspective, it was 100% wrong for the AMA to embrace "drones" . There can be no debate regarding this fact.

From a business, marketing and financial perspective for the AMA itself, it was 100% right for them to embrace "drones".

Their decision and recent actions demonstrate where their priorities are.

Thry are now asking the current, traditional, long time AMA member to finance their decision and its consequences.
Unfortunately, there is no viable alternative to the AMA, so we are along for the ride.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:11 PM
astrohog

Originally Posted by ltc
From a business, marketing and financial perspective for the AMA itself, it was 100% right for them to embrace "drones".
That's great......except they aren't a business!
Nowhere in their mission or vision statement does it state that one of their goals is to increase their treasury!

Regards,

Astro
Old 12-05-2015, 12:19 PM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nowhere in their mission or vision statement does it state that one of their goals is to increase their treasury!

Regards,

Astro
Yet that does seem to be the priority objective of the management, does it not?
Old 12-05-2015, 01:47 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Yet that does seem to be the priority objective of the management, does it not?
They obviously had some pressure exerted from within and from maybe 1%[?] of the membership to make FPV flight part of "what we do".
What % of the membership think there ever was an urgent need to increase membership..?
Who REALLY thinks that there will be a significant increase of new Drone Flying AMA Members who would be content to circle the perimeter of the AMA club field day after day, year after year..?
How "gifted" do you need to be to be able to see how ridiculously misguided that Pipe Dream is...?
Old 12-05-2015, 02:15 PM
astrohog

They obviously had some pressure exerted from within and from maybe 1%[?] of the membership to make FPV flight part of "what we do".
What % of the membership think there ever was an urgent need to increase membership..?
Who REALLY thinks that there will be a significant increase of new Drone Flying AMA Members who would be content to circle the perimeter of the AMA club field day after day, year after year..?
How "gifted" do you need to be to be able to see how ridiculously misguided that Pipe Dream is...?
Nicely stated!
Old 12-05-2015, 03:38 PM
HoundDog

What a bunch of BABIES ... I'll Not one of U fly anyplace other than an AMA Registered and probably only maybe two. I'll also Most fly Lectric Junk. 60" and smaller with a clear canopy. All this crying when all The Registration Task Force Recommendations (if adopted by the FAA) would require U to register with the FAA or Whom Ever and display the number in your plane. Just like U do with your AMA number or Name , Address, & Phone Number ... U all do that as a mater of course now. YES/NO.
I'll bet more than half don't. Man that seems like an unthinkable thing to have to do is register and display the number .... The way people here are wHining you'd think the FEDS will be coming in BLACK HELICOPTERS, to confiscate your Traditional Planes, your Helicopters, Quads (Drones) and may be your guns and first born too. As one very famous ARCHIE BUNKER loved to say:
"Gimme a break, the SKY Ain't Fall'n there, meat head".

Gees this auto bring out the nasty posts.
Old 12-05-2015, 03:51 PM
combatpigg

What a bunch of BABIES ... I'll Not one of U fly anyplace other than an AMA Registered and probably only maybe two. I'll also Most fly Lectric Junk. 60" and smaller with a clear canopy. All this crying when all The Registration Task Force Recommendations (if adopted by the FAA) would require U to register with the FAA or Whom Ever and display the number in your plane. Just like U do with your AMA number or Name , Address, & Phone Number ... U all do that as a mater of course now. YES/NO.
I'll bet more than half don't. Man that seems like an unthinkable thing to have to do is register and display the number .... The way people here are wHining you'd think the FEDS will be coming in BLACK HELICOPTERS, to confiscate your Traditional Planes, your Helicopters, Quads (Drones) and may be your guns and first born too. As one very famous ARCHIE BUNKER loved to say:

This post should be tucked away in a Time Capsule and reexamined every 5 to 10 years.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:06 PM
Sport_Pilot

Regards,

Astro
The AMA recieves money from people and has a financial statement. They sell products as well. I believe that is a business.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:39 PM
islandflyer

I had an interesting week-end: I went to a model heli event where the club simultaneously hosted a drone race. Having a few friends in the heli world, I spent most of my time with them, and most of the pilots there commented that the drone group was so far distant from the Aeromodeling world that there was virtually no interacting between the two groups at all. On the other hand, we saw quite a few of our fixed wings pilots friends there watching the helicopter fights (but many more were at a nearby pylon race).
I had a chance to ask over twenty people about their feelings on the AMA's embracing of the drones, and only one wanted to stay neutral due to marital diplomacy, while 25 AMA members decided to sign the petition in support of the open letter we have recently sent to the AMA Executive Council. This may seem like a small number, but if this trend multiplies in many locations, the AMA will have no choice but to change direction. At the very least, a larger proportion of the membership will be aware of the issue, and will vote differently next time.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:15 AM
Tseres

I've been reading this and it seems the only one being nasty is you.

I'm pretty sure from reading this and weeding out the B.S. What I see is people in the AMA are wanting a separation from Legislating against drones. The real issue is that the government is going to come down on drones. They will have rules and regulations that will make life miserable for the average RC pilot. I believe that that in itself will reduce membership in the AMA and will decrease the people willing to get into RC. Drones are a highly complicated issue. It is not modeling as we now know it. I'm pretty sure that if you have to get a license to get into RC just to learn how to fly your trainer. That will also decrease the membership. If you have to get a license to fly your Drone because you need it for photography then it becomes a business. Once it becomes a business then it's no longer a hobby. That is why AMA needs to separate itself from drones.

Drones need their own Sanctioning Body that can deal with the Government and leave the AMA to Deal with Modeling. It is as simple as that.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:56 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by islandflyer
I had an interesting week-end: I went to a model heli event where the club simultaneously hosted a drone race. Having a few friends in the heli world, I spent most of my time with them, and most of the pilots there commented that the drone group was so far distant from the Aeromodeling world that there was virtually no interacting between the two groups at all. On the other hand, we saw quite a few of our fixed wings pilots friends there watching the helicopter fights (but many more were at a nearby pylon race).
I had a chance to ask over twenty people about their feelings on the AMA's embracing of the drones, and only one wanted to stay neutral due to marital diplomacy, while 25 AMA members decided to sign the petition in support of the open letter we have recently sent to the AMA Executive Council. This may seem like a small number, but if this trend multiplies in many locations, the AMA will have no choice but to change direction. At the very least, a larger proportion of the membership will be aware of the issue, and will vote differently next time.
14, 25 etc are in fact infinitesimally small numbers compared to the overall membership. It's doubtful each of the signatories of the original document are going to go to fly-ins and events and try to drum up support and have people signing forms. Regardless, even if there is some additional interest and some signatures the thought that "the AMA will have no choice but to change direction" is at best, naive. They don't "have" to do anything. The EC was elected/hired to do what they do. If there is a huge groundswell of opposition down the road to what they have done, then the membership can have their say (although CJ I believe already said that can't happen) As for those electoral changes, I wouldn't hold my breath, have you seen the election results lately from the membership? D8 voted OUT the guy who was against the whole MR thing, and elected in someone who's position on the issue was unknown, or at least he chose not to make it known. See the results of any of the other districts?

I'm genuinely unsure of what you hope to accomplish, what's done is done. The AMA can't undue their involvement, and the DOT/FAA certainly isn't going to change what they are doing.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:03 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Tseres
I've been reading this and it seems the only one being nasty is you.

I'm pretty sure from reading this and weeding out the B.S. What I see is people in the AMA are wanting a separation from Legislating against drones. The real issue is that the government is going to come down on drones. They will have rules and regulations that will make life miserable for the average RC pilot. I believe that that in itself will reduce membership in the AMA and will decrease the people willing to get into RC. Drones are a highly complicated issue. It is not modeling as we now know it. I'm pretty sure that if you have to get a license to get into RC just to learn how to fly your trainer. That will also decrease the membership. If you have to get a license to fly your Drone because you need it for photography then it becomes a business. Once it becomes a business then it's no longer a hobby. That is why AMA needs to separate itself from drones.

Drones need their own Sanctioning Body that can deal with the Government and leave the AMA to Deal with Modeling. It is as simple as that.
There is nothing in the pending rules/regs that does, or will, make flying RC as we currently know it "miserable as we know it". Sure, one can say ya but it might...but that sort of negative prognostication could be said of anything. The worst, most difficult and onerous and horrible part so far is that we have to register with the FAA, and get a number. Hardly a difficult or troubling step. I don't see how that will decrease current AMA membership, nor will it stop someone from joining either the hobby, or AMA. Multi rotors are part of modeling whether you or I or anyone else says otherwise, and they will continue to be.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:28 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
There is nothing in the pending rules/regs that does, or will, make flying RC as we currently know it "miserable as we know it". Sure, one can say ya but it might...but that sort of negative prognostication could be said of anything. The worst, most difficult and onerous and horrible part so far is that we have to register with the FAA, and get a number. Hardly a difficult or troubling step. I don't see how that will decrease current AMA membership, nor will it stop someone from joining either the hobby, or AMA. Multi rotors are part of modeling whether you or I or anyone else says otherwise, and they will continue to be.
So we all "register ourselves" and the crap with irresponsible people continues. Then what? I hope we can all agree that regulations never fix problems due to the fact that the ones who disregarded "the rules" before will continue to do so.
Ultimately more and more regulation will come and we don't have a organization strong enough to stop it.
The problem is we (the AMA) should have first established that we are not "those people" and once that was established maybe looked at embracing them

130 to 32 in this poll seem to agree that we (the AMA ) screwed up on this one.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 12-07-2015 at 05:31 AM.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:09 AM
porcia83
Banned

I sure hope you're not relying on this poll for any statistically relevant information, or to draw any conclusions other than 162 people took the time to click a button. Actually, given the traffic this site gets, as well as the AMA threads, the fact that only 162 clicked on it should tell you something as well. Can't imagine how the conversation would go it if was 50/50, or the numbers were inverted. I'm guessing the responses would be questioned, no doubt.

More complaining about that past (nothing can be done about it), and more doom and gloom predictions about the future (more regs, no org strong enough to deal with it).

Meanwhile, flying continues, the hobby isn't drastically changed, and the proposed rules don't have any significant adverse affect on the overwhelming majority of AMA members.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:21 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
I sure hope you're not relying on this poll for any statistically relevant information, or to draw any conclusions other than 162 people took the time to click a button. Actually, given the traffic this site gets, as well as the AMA threads, the fact that only 162 clicked on it should tell you something as well. Can't imagine how the conversation would go it if was 50/50, or the numbers were inverted. I'm guessing the responses would be questioned, no doubt.

More complaining about that past (nothing can be done about it), and more doom and gloom predictions about the future (more regs, no org strong enough to deal with it).

Meanwhile, flying continues, the hobby isn't drastically changed, and the proposed rules don't have any significant adverse affect on the overwhelming majority of AMA members.

Bet if this poll went the other way you'd be singing a different tune. Who's complaining about the past? I'm pointing out a missed opportunity that apparently others here agree with.

Mike
Old 12-07-2015, 07:02 AM
Tseres

Most people stay away from threads like this because they don't want to argue. thats the reason there are so few participants. I'm one of them. However I thought my opinion can be noted and I will refrain from arguing.

Flying at an AMA flying site is not going to bring any adverse rules agains hobbyist. Most of the public doesn't know anything about what we do. When some idiot goes flying at an airport and starts shooting video of planes landing and taking off. It brings unwanted public attention. I bet those people don't belong to the AMA and have no idea of the rules and regulations of the AMA or FAA. Since these people want to fly in regulated airspace. Let them join the FAA and let the FAA speak for them. The problem is the government. Nobody will convince me that if this keeps on going and it will. (Going by what happened in the past) There will be more and not so good for us regulations.

I'm not against multirotors. Lot of my friends have them even sell them. I even have one. The problem is the GPS and FPV capable or Drones flown in back yards and also in places where not allowed. It is what they are capable of doing. That is the difference between Drones and modeling. That difference is significant enough to be separated from modeling. AMA needs to represent Modeling... The AMA was created by Modelers for Modelers to protect the interest of modelers. Drones are not Models.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:13 AM
Jaybird

Just trolling here. You can't answer an "either/or" question with a "yes/no" response. It's like someone asking if you want "steak or fish" and you answer "yes". What are you going to get besides a dirty look?

Jaybird
Old 12-07-2015, 07:28 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Jaybird
Just trolling here. You can't answer an "either/or" question with a "yes/no" response. It's like someone asking if you want "steak or fish" and you answer "yes". What are you going to get besides a dirty look?

Jaybird
Sure you can. Either you feel they made a mistake or did not. Cut and dry. Steak or fish , I'd like the steak please.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.