Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA & Giant Scale

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA & Giant Scale

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 03:13 PM
rcflyertim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA & Giant Scale

Why does the AMA not have any rules of safety governing the starting of giant scale (.90 and above engines)? I have seen guys not even use a helper. DANGEROUS!! to say the least. I apporach a guy one time about this very thing and his answer was "don't see anything in the safety rules that says I have to have a helper"
I am not a BIG supporter of lots of rules, but guys....not having someone help you hold a 2-15 hp airplane is crazy. But I can't find any AMA or IMAA rules of safety that deals with this subject. SO am I just being too careful or picky? Anyone know of a list somewhere that deals with this subject ?
Old 11-26-2002, 04:01 PM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: AMA & Giant Scale

Originally posted by rcflyertim
Anyone know of a list somewhere that deals with this subject ?
Have you tried checking with your clubs safety rules?

Starting a big plane with a big engine by yourself is no real big deal, its actual a lot easier than it looks. Sure its nice to have a helper holding the plane but I have no problems starting my Byron F4U-1D by myself

BV
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	37672_1612.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	23640  
Old 11-26-2002, 04:15 PM
rcflyertim

Default CLUB Safety rules

Yes I have read the safety rules for my club and NO it says nothing about assistants, starting or running up of a plane of any size.
Old 11-26-2002, 04:41 PM
Bill Vargas

Default Club Safety Rules

Sounds like it might make for a good Topic of discussion at your next club meeting perhaps?

BV
Old 11-26-2002, 05:33 PM
raistlin12
My Feedback: (1)

Who put the ugly guy next to the gorgeous plane? Couldn't the photographer crop him out?
Old 11-26-2002, 06:10 PM
Bill Vargas

Default F4U-1D

Originally posted by raistlin12
Who put the ugly guy next to the gorgeous plane? Couldn't the photographer crop him out?
LOL
Old 11-26-2002, 09:07 PM
Flyfalcons

What's the big deal, if you have a restraint for your plane, it's probably not going anywhere. I am not advocating running engines when no one else is at the field, but I've never seen starting a large engine as any more dangerous than a smaller one.
Old 11-26-2002, 10:17 PM
Dave Bowles
My Feedback: (7)

Default large engines

If you are being safe and paying attention is is not more dangerous than a small engine.

Buy the Way, Many full scale aircraft are started by hand with no restraints, and nobody in the pilots seat. I once tried to start a friends J3 Cub (full scale) but couldn't give that little extra to get threw the second compression , But ol Gene at around 70 years old can do it on the first try almost every time, I believe the plane has been in the family sense 1948.
Old 11-27-2002, 01:14 AM
dennis1943
My Feedback: (12)

Default help

it might be a string or a holder we all have help, sounds like a good topic for a forum.

dennis 1943
Old 11-27-2002, 02:00 AM
fly109

Default Cranking up a Beech

Here is how the full scale guys do it!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	37732_767.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	23641  
Old 11-27-2002, 03:18 AM
GrnBrt

Default Re: Cranking up a Beech

Originally posted by fly109
Here is how the full scale guys do it!
Looks like a stunt that I would have done when I was younger and still sky diving, now I'm just old and way to mellow!!!!!
Old 11-28-2002, 03:26 AM
CaptainHook
My Feedback: (80)

Default fly109

I have checked my club rules for that procedure and yep, it's in there . Seriously, get some help when starting these big boys or at least anchor the tail down when you start it up.
Old 11-30-2002, 12:14 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: AMA & Giant Scale

Originally posted by rcflyertim
Why does the AMA not have any rules of safety governing the starting of giant scale (.90 and above engines)? I have seen guys not even use a helper. DANGEROUS!! to say the least. I apporach a guy one time about this very thing and his answer was "don't see anything in the safety rules that says I have to have a helper"
I am not a BIG supporter of lots of rules, but guys....not having someone help you hold a 2-15 hp airplane is crazy. But I can't find any AMA or IMAA rules of safety that deals with this subject. SO am I just being too careful or picky? Anyone know of a list somewhere that deals with this subject ?
Then let the "Crazies" be crazy, stand not near them.

IMAA Safety Code:
>>>>
Section 4.0: SPOTTER / HELPER
4.1 Spotter/ Helper Definition: An assistant to aid the pilot during start-up, and taxing onto the runway. The spotter/helper will assist the pilot in completing a safe flight.
4.2 Each pilot is required to have a spotter / helper at all IMAA sanctioned events.

8.2 A specific area will be set aside for engine test runs. This area will be remote from the spectator area, pits, and flight stations to reduce danger and annoyance to persons in this area. No engine may be started in any area other than the engine test area and runway entrance(s).
Old 12-01-2002, 01:38 AM
rcflyertim

Thanks guys,
Some good comemnts and I will retract my statement and carry-on. Yes I was aware that IMAA had rules pertaining to sanctioned events, but I was talking about just in general and non-events. I guess maybe I have not observed enough giant scales to see how safe it may be. Just wanted to point my finger to a rule and say follow it. But since my club has no rule and seems like others think it is not necessary, I will just observe this coming year and watch to see how other clubs deal with Giant scale engines.
Old 12-04-2002, 03:02 AM
Brad Fuller

I watched a guy start a G-62 sized airplane at a fly-in in Sebring, Fl. a few years ago that started wide open, no one was holding the plane, and he laid there bleeding until the ambulance came. The prop whacked him in the arm where a smaller prop would never reach. And even though I witnessed that (from about 100 ft. away) I 'm not for making more rules. Yes, I have some one hold my C-47, but you can't legislate comon sense, if the only person who is going to POSSIBLY be hurt is the guy starting his plane, why is it my business to protect him?? I'll just make sure I don't do anything to hurt anyone else, and expect the same from others, Cheese and Rice, when is all this rule making going to stop?????????
Old 12-31-2002, 05:12 AM
jnjacksn

This is a very touchy subject...

If you have any additional club rules that are not already spelled out by AMA you may want to consider getting rid of them.

I am not saying that some of these rules are not good ideas. Some of them really don't need to exist anyway. If you kindly ask someone who is doing something you feel is unsafe to stop and explain why, they may see it the same way you do. If they don't stop, well hey, you did your part.

If you add any additional rules to those already in place by AMA you are only further limiting the coverage most folks are already complaining about. AMA clearly states it will not pay if you are in violation of any rules, this includes club rules.

So far this is just the way I am interpreting the AMA insurance policy from research on the AMA policy provided to members, charter clubs, and flying sight owners. I have requested a copy of the original policy, when it arrives i will set with an attorney and hopefully be able to clear up just how much this so called insurance policy really provides.

Like all of you who are reading this, I have read every interpretation of the AMA policy on RCU. There is only one way to find out for sure. Call the AMA, get a FULL copy of the original policy and read it yourself. (It's $5.00) Anything written in it that is questionable to you can be cleared up by an attorney, or your homeowners insurance provider... A.K.A. your "Primary" insurance provider.

This way you can rest assured you are covered in case you have an "accident". If someone else continues to do something stupid after you have warned them, that is what they have insurance for.

O.K. Ya'll can blast me now!
Old 01-14-2003, 09:38 PM
NCC-1701

For Fly109's pic:

Capt Kirk: Scotty, I need MORE right aileron!

Scotty: Cap'n, She can't take much more of this!

Rob