Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Making the impossible, possible E-field NYC

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Making the impossible, possible E-field NYC

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 09:30 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Making the impossible, possible E-field NYC

ORIGINAL: 50%plane

ORIGINAL: EASYTIGER

No gas powered anything allowed, but you MIGHT get away with a small electric seaplane. The pond is hemmed in by trees on all sides, though, and it's not that big for flying. You might run into problems with the Hawk Watchers, though(it;s a long story!) and the waterfowl...
I'm thinking Hydro-Foam......
Not a crazy idea at all!
I tell you, though, better not disturb the ducks and such. More duck fans there than model airplane fans.
But a Hydro-foam would be a way of maybe sneaking in some flying....
Old 09-22-2006, 09:12 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boy, you never stop with the shameless self-promotion of your for-profit program you are trying to sell to schools, do you?

In other words, nothing has been done.

The AMA Delta Dart program is better than "Hobby Quest" anyway.

Isin't there a limit on how many posts one person can do in one month with one commercial product, which is what Hobby Quest is?
Ashamed? Not quite there EZ, in fact very proud at what I do for a living. I'm not selling anything to anyone on this forum because our children do not browse these forums and for obvious reasons.

Old 09-22-2006, 09:21 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Nobody ASKED about Hobby Quest. We were asking about fields in Central Park. Yet, here is yet another plug for Hobby Quest. Whatever.

Anyway...
I may take an AeroAce out to Central Park soon, see what happens. That thing is so benign, maybe the park rangers won't say anything.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:53 AM
vtl1180ny

When I lived in NYC all my RC's, cars and aircraft, were stored at my parents house on LI... While it sounds like a nice idea, how much interest would there really be and you'd definitely need barriers to keep the NY'ers from wandering across the field... I've seen people move police barriers around a crime scene because it was in their way... Good Luck....
Old 09-22-2006, 11:12 AM
Brineymolly

If you fly in Central Park, Lincoln Karim will come after you with a vengence... He loves birds more than human beings, and protested churches giving out free Turkeys at Thanksgiving time to needy people. He and his followers are a force to be reckoned with (seriously)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Dec16.html

His website (Pale Male is the name of one of the Hawks)

www.palemale.com

Old 09-22-2006, 11:16 AM
vtl1180ny

I didn't want to say it, but after living on the Upper East Side I learned that there are a lot of very, very far left tree hugging loonies.... I wouldn't want to be the victim of the first lawsuit...
Old 09-22-2006, 11:22 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: Brineymolly

If you fly in Central Park, Lincoln Karim will come after you with a vengence... He loves birds more than human beings, and protested churches giving out free Turkeys at Thanksgiving time to needy people. He and his followers are a force to be reckoned with (seriously)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Dec16.html

www.palemale.com

Yup. It's a very real issue.
Yesterday, we were at the top of the tower of Belvedere Castle, the only other people there were birdwatchers, watching migratory hawks(I think)...they are a force to be reckoned with, even besides the famous Pale Male and co. on CPE.
But the other problem, not being able to fence off an area, is all-pervasive, too. You need to have some sort of designated flying area without people on it, or you are in violation of AMA rules(I think), hence no AMA insurance...any sort of organized activity needs insurance to get the permission from the Parks people. So, for starters, you would need a different policy from AMA.
But the DANGER from not having a cordoned-off area is very real. Like, you can hurt someone.
And, like someone pointed out, New Yorkers could give a damn about flimsy barriers, they will walk right across them!
If someone has some actual solutions, I'm all ears, though.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:30 PM
STLPilot

Nobody ASKED about Hobby Quest. We were asking about fields in Central Park. Yet, here is yet another plug for Hobby Quest. Whatever.
And here is another one. http://www.thehobbyquest.com

I'll keep posting these plugs until I see fit. If you have problem with me or them then hit the report button. But there should be no shame in what a man does for a living.

Old 09-22-2006, 03:24 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

[link=http://www.thehobbyquest.com]
ORIGINAL: Brineymolly

http://www.washingtonpostcom/wp-dyn/...2004Dec16.html

www.palemale.com

Just as long as he doesn't come down south....

Then again, he'd end up the same way a hawk does, so he'd be happy...I guess......

www.TheHobbyQuest.com

50%[/link]
Old 09-22-2006, 07:02 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: vtl1180ny

I didn't want to say it, but after living on the Upper East Side I learned that there are a lot of very, very far left tree hugging loonies.... I wouldn't want to be the victim of the first lawsuit...
Mary Tyler Moore and Lincoln Karim aside, I think you will find that the birdwatching crowd is very much a wealthy far right kind of crowd, not treehuggers...birdwatchers! Different people!
My wife knows MTM very well, she's the real deal...she once threw out a nurse my wife sent over because she was wearing a fur hat. She's definitely on the very far left treehugging side! But I would worry MORE about all the Thurston Somebody the Fourths that really don't want their observation of the Left-Handed Nuthatch disturbed.

I spoke to one of the Hawk Watchers today at the pond...it was not Lincoln Karim, and I talked to him a bit about model fields and such. This guy did not seem to have a big issue with it, he thought the majority of bird watching activity was at The Ramble, and not really at any open fields. Just his opinion. He did not react virulently when I broached the idea to him. But he does not represent the Hawk Watching Community, he was just one of the Pale Male people.
Pale Male was out, did not see him in the scope today!
Old 09-22-2006, 07:49 PM
STLPilot

One thing I forgot to add EZ is that promoting can be a very positive thing, for profit or non for profit. Also many people have misunderstand of the definition of NFP, for instance why would the director of the AMA need to be paid $120k a year and live in Muncie which is prolly the lowest cost of living area in the USA. Why would the CEO of Goodwill need to be paid $750k a year. But hey, they are still not for profit companies.

Also, haven't the "members" of the AMA been asking the AMA to do some promoting for "their" organization? Haven't the members of the AMA been asking for their leadership to come visit and talk with their members in these forums? You're right tho the Delta Dart program is a wonderful program, I've used the Midwest Delta Dart's for many presentations and tried to press the AMA for the kids myself with those wonderful models. But maybe if the AMA did some self promoting and maybe if they were as outspoken as us "for profit" guys then maybe they would have had a 1400% growth rate over the last year instead of a negative 3%.

Hossfly for AMA President, set em straight.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:17 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

But you're NOT a non-profit entity.
You're just a business, and nobody ASKED about your business on this thread. Yet you just can't stop hyping it. Whatever.

Back to fields in Central Park...
Anybody actually have something interesting to add to that subject?
Old 09-22-2006, 09:53 PM
STLPilot

Right, I'm a service provider. I put out a service and people can CHOOSE to utilize the service, or not use the service. Ain' no monopolies or even perceived monopolies here.

BTW, what dignified and not for profit job do you have for a living? Nevermind, I already know.

By the way are you going to buy one of the new TMPro Extra 260 P's when they arrive? In fact I have a whole line of aircraft on the way to sell you. What do you need?
Old 09-22-2006, 10:19 PM
abel_pranger

You're just a business, and nobody ASKED about your business on this thread. Yet you just can't stop hyping it. Whatever.

Not me. Your serialized SITREP has covered it comprehensively. tnx

Abel
Old 09-22-2006, 10:28 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: abel_pranger

Not me. Your serialized SITREP has covered it comprehensively. tnx

Abel
I have by no means explored EVERY field in Central Park, but most of the main ones. So if anybody has any ideas, I am all ears.
At present, though...I can say that over the past years, I have attempted to fly RC at CP maybe four times? Every time, the park rangers have responded immedaitely and made me stop. Once even on a very early morning with nobody around.

TMPro? I am familiar with them. None of the products interest me, personally, except the A-4, which interests me very much. I have been looking for the specs on that plane...is it the same one sold by Colchester A-1 models in the UK?
Old 09-23-2006, 12:46 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

//SNIP//

Also, haven't the "members" of the AMA been asking the AMA to do some promoting for "their" organization? Haven't the members of the AMA been asking for their leadership to come visit and talk with their members in these forums? You're right tho the Delta Dart program is a wonderful program, I've used the Midwest Delta Dart's for many presentations and tried to press the AMA for the kids myself with those wonderful models. But maybe if the AMA did some self promoting and maybe if they were as outspoken as us "for profit" guys then maybe they would have had a 1400% growth rate over the last year instead of a negative 3%.

Hossfly for AMA President, set em straight.

STL, that last statement is -- I'm certain -- a Dart Thrown at me, however I do agree that AMA needs a real publicity program which means using the FREE publicity opportunities so readily available and NOT buying expensive advertising stuff that darn few ever watch, since the record and fast-forward options on today's TV.
When running for Ex. Director I promised that such would happen even if, and probably would, actually do it myself. Everyone in politics from the White House down to local city/village councils would within a couple years become aware of the Academy of Model Aeronautics, and its programs. In addition all major networks would be well supplied with the good things AMA does relative youth and Senior Citizens plus all major events especially international.
They would be introduced to the values that model aviation can provide: YOUNGER -- becoming aware of things like creative imagination, craftsmanship, personal discipline, aviation sciences, aero-engineering, mechanical operations, and a host of other items: ADULT - leisure time hobby-sport, meeting new people at clubs and events, broadening of educational opportunities in planning - building - flying, SENIOR CITIZEN - same as adult and even more so on the leisure time activity plus sharing with younger people. The list simply goes on forever.

However, if I should be the AMA President, these things would still happen plus the Headquarters staff would get itself stabilized, and what I now perceive as a significant inter-office power shuffle would come to a screeching halt.

It is my very strong opinion that a paid staff, with good pay and benefits, can well be required to perform equally well. The current Pres. disagrees with that philosophy as he once told me that it is too much trouble to train replacements.

Don't get me wrong as I know the EC is NOT a one-man show however while I may well be a tad outspoken here, one thing I well learned in life is that when you are BOSS, what is better: Having all work against you or having all supporting the team? In reality when the team sees the team rising to the top, they just seem to get "Gung-Ho" and start working to be the best. It's not really a problem to get 99% on the "team". You see, I am NOT a follower of the Harvard school of (mis)management, where the TOP get RICHER and the lower levels collect the down-hill run-off. [:'(]

STL, while I sometimes think you are from outer space or you reside there, you have made me think about several issues. AMA does well need a program to come out of the 1970s and into 2010 or better. There has to be methodS to bring interest in the organization to so many that are into flying models yet not so interested in banding together. Much exploration has to be done here. That means trying a number of them and let the bad filter out, not just sitting around and discussing possibilities while time filters us all out.

Another point I strongly believe in is that when model aviation becomes so well known as an organized activity, then getting and keeping those flying sites would become much easier, even in NYC!
Old 09-23-2006, 12:53 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Unless you intend to move AMA HQ from Muncie to the Tavern On The Green in Central Park, can you please shift that post elsewhere? I mean, in this forum, it's just about impossible to keep things on topic.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:10 PM
Hossfly

Hey ET just background info to making the field easier to obtain in even NYC -- last sentence.

I like the post right here. [sm=lol.gif]
Old 09-23-2006, 02:04 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Hey ET just background info to making the field easier to obtain in even NYC -- last sentence.

I like the post right here. [sm=lol.gif]
So do I, Hoss. Maybe we should have a poll on that .......

Post made points good enough to put it where you friggin' well please.[>:]

Abel
Old 09-23-2006, 03:41 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Hoss, if you run for anything, you have my vote. I'm tired of the bull in anything political. Your running will at least make those in charge think about what they are doing(I hope) and that will help this field in NYC.

50%
Old 09-24-2006, 11:17 AM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: 50%plane

Hoss, if you run for anything, you have my vote. I'm tired of the bull in anything political. Your running will at least make those in charge think about what they are doing(I hope) and that will help this field in NYC.

50%
Thanks, 50%plane, however my record as a candidate is not one that worries the Power Block in AMA. Heck, they didn't even seed the ballot last time when I ran against Holland. I very seriously doubt that I could even get on the ballot as candidate for Pres., however I could try.[:-] Nothing ventured, nothing gained! No pain, No gain -- or something like that!

Now, I return you to your regularly scheduled program, "e-field in NYC".
Old 09-24-2006, 10:17 PM
KidEpoxy

I had this dream last night, and STL was int it, and....
wait, that just didnt come out right.

Anyhoo, I had a premenition about STL posting some progress.
Anything happening on getting the field STL?
Old 09-25-2006, 07:16 PM
goliathman
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

Right, I'm a service provider. I put out a service and people can CHOOSE to utilize the service, or not use the service. Ain' no monopolies or even perceived monopolies here.

BTW, what dignified and not for profit job do you have for a living? Nevermind, I already know.

By the way are you going to buy one of the new TMPro Extra 260 P's when they arrive? In fact I have a whole line of aircraft on the way to sell you. What do you need?
from the hobby quest site:

The 3 Laws Of The Hobby Quest

A hobbyist will always build from scratch, not pre-made
A hobbyist will always respect their hand made creation
A hobbyist will always be organized in a clean workspace

But on your other site you sell arfs?
Isnt this hypercritical?

I build both scratch and arf gliders, and my build bench is a mess, but i love It.

I think your three laws are goofy.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:43 PM
STLPilot

from the hobby quest site:
The 3 Laws Of The Hobby Quest
But on your other site you sell arfs?
Isnt this hypercritical?
I build both scratch and arf gliders, and my build bench is a mess, but i love It.
I think your three laws are goofy.
Do you see me selling the ARF's on The Hobby Quest website or even a link to my other company from The Hobby Quest? Of course I could easily do that and profit from it and then you could call me a hypocrite. The Hobby Quest and TMProUSA have 2 different mission statements for 2 different target audiences. They are independent companies of each other as well as a few other I own or am involved. As far as our kids know, my ARF company does not even exist.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:19 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

[sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]
As far as our kids know, my ARF company does not even exist.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.