Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Value Hobby .60 size Ugly Stik

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Value Hobby .60 size Ugly Stik

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 06:57 PM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Value Hobby .60 size Ugly Stik

I just received the ARF. First impression is a well packed, double boxed package. Covering is great. The gear is strong. I haven't looked at the hardware yet. This is the first ARF I have bought that has a two-piece fuselage. There are square pegs that fit in matching holes in each half for alignment. It all glues together in the middle. Allows them to use a smaller box. Not bad for $88 + shipping. $105 total. Has hatches for the aileron servos.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:41 AM
ec121

Default RE: Value Hobby .60 size Ugly Stik

Tried to fit the square fuselage joining pegs. They are too big and will have to be fitted. That isn't really a bad thing. Just another step. The CA hinges are too stiff and will be replaced. The plastic clevises have metal screw-in pins. I'm not sure I like that idea, but I will give it a try. Looks like they could vibrate out. The aileron servo hatches have wooden blocks for attaching the servos, but screws are included to attach them as a back up to the glue. Screw holes are laser cut in the hatches. Has a smallish tailwheel assy. No instructions for attachment to the rudder. Basic instructions(stapled copies), but nothing a person can't figure out. Really wouldn't need them at all. Motor mounts furnished but no holes drilled in firewall. That is Ok since my GMS .75 probably wouldn't fit where they would have drilled them anyway.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:43 PM
ec121

Got the fuse glued together. Had to whittle the joining pegs to make them fit the taper of the fuse, but it all lined up square in the end. Didn't use the suggested servo mounting method. The servos were going to hit the sides of the hatch hole. Ended up just cutting holes in the aileron servo hatches and adding wood for the screws. Too much trouble to fab up a servo mount that I liked. Turned the motor 45deg to get the GMS, semi-tuned muffler to clear the fuse and wing. Also makes it look racy!! I can tell people that I did it to lower the drag. Not a lot of wood in the fuse to glue in the vertical stab, but I will try it without adding braces. Seems fairly strong.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:01 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We need pictures.... I'd like to see how the two piece fuse goes together.

I've bought a bunch of Profile planes from Value Hobby and have always liked what I received. The servo extensions are good quality as well.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:18 PM
ec121

Too late for fuse joining pics. I'll try to get some of the final assy. The fuse half has a bulkhead right at the forward edge of the white area. Each bulkhead has a square hole in all four corners. You have to whittle four square pegs to allow the two tapred halves of the fuse to match up when put together. I glued the pegs in one half to secure them. Then I put glue on the other half and pushed them together and taped them to hold it all square. The bulkheads are laser cut so they line up well. Even the pushrod tubes lined up OK. The joint is barely visible since it is at the edge of the white. ___________
l__l l__l
l l
l O O l
l__ _ _l
l__l_____l__l
Old 07-14-2012, 06:40 PM
ec121

Maidened the stik today. The plane flies really well. I put some wheel pants from my junk box on it. Looks pretty good that way. No instructions on attaching the tail wheel to the rudder. Did about 10 touch and go's. The GMS 75 with a Xoar 13x6 is a good match for it. Balanced right on the calculated CG without additional weight. Great plane for the money. I need a little more throw on the ailerons to boost the roll rate but that is easy.