Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Phoenix Classic 40 Trainer

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Phoenix Classic 40 Trainer

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 07:15 AM
VeeAte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phoenix Classic 40 Trainer

I recently purchased a second hand Phoenix Classic .40 high wing trainer.
I didn't receive the destruction manual for it and was wondering if there was any way to perhaps download a scanned copy?
I have done a search on the forums here and haven't been able to find much info on the plane thus far.
It has an O.S 46 MAX AX onboard which has done very little work and starts and runs beautifully.

Does anyone have any information on this model aircraft?
I know its just a basic trainer, but I would like to find out what people think about the plane and if there are any common faults/flaws in it's design etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41924.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	425820   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35700.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	425821  
Old 03-14-2006, 08:21 AM
aussiesteve

Default RE: Phoenix Classic 40 Trainer

They're a great little plane - excellent as a second plane too with the semi symetrical airfoil.

The 46AX will be more than adequate power (We've had 3 of these planes including one with a 46 AX in it all 3 flew really well but met their demise due to silly things 1 with a Rx failure, 1 was lost when the pilot was watching the wrong plane and the other was lost when the pilot forgot to extend his aerial).

If you need a manual most clubs in WA will probably have at least one member who has had one of these models otherwise I may be able to dig one up for you from our model shed (We're near Bullsbrook)
Old 03-14-2006, 08:50 AM
VeeAte

Excellent thanks for the info Aussiesteve.
I got the plane off a Heli pilot here for $100 and I didnt think to ask him if he had the manual. I don't like my chances as he has moved house since he bought the plane and most likely threw the documentation out. A lot of the other guys at the club trained on one of these so I will ask around this Sunday.
It's not super important, I just like to have all the stuff when I buy something. He has replaced the standard white plastic wheels with alloy wheels, but otherwise it is all stock. Oh besides the black and clear tape here and there to cover small holes and the damaged tail.

One of the other guys in the club destroyed the fuse on one of these and has told me I can have the wing which was undamaged, so that will come in handy I am sure.
The tail section I want to replace as it has taken a fair beating and has a very slight droop on the right hand stab. I will take it up and get used to flying before I do too much work on it.

Oh heres a quick Q for ya.
This plane doesnt have an inline fuel filter (that I can see) and was wondering how I would add one as there isnt much room behind the engine where the fuel line comes through. Is it possible to just put one in front of the remote needle valve or will it vibrate against stuff and cause interference?

I will take a pic of the current setup and post it if that helps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56772.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	425845  
Old 03-14-2006, 09:30 AM
Fastsky

On the fuel filter, its much easier and less problems to simply have the filter on the outlet of your fuel pump. That way your fuel is clean going into your fuel tank and the filter is easier to get at when it the screen needs to be cleaned. [8D]
Old 03-14-2006, 12:12 PM
VeeAte

Ok thanks Fastsky. Wasn't sure if I had to have one on the plane as well or not. The previous owner used filters on his fuel can so it should be nice and clean.

I don't have a hand pump or anything at this stage so I will have to rig some sort of squeeze jug or something with the fuel filter on that. Not sure how I will do it yet. Have to be able to squeeze the fuel bottle and when I let go it has to draw air in so I can squeeze it again if you catch my drift.

Is there an easy way to do this? Or should I put off flying this weekend until I can get a proper field refueller pump and can etc ?
Old 03-14-2006, 10:45 PM
Ken Erickson

VeeAte,

Foremost makes a one-way valve. It looks like a small filter. You could either have two lines in your squeeze bottle ar one line with a T. The valves will do exactly what you described, one to direct fuel out, the other to let air in.

Or, cheaper is to just alternately pinch the tubing from the bottle or T to accomplish the same thing.

Ken, AMA 19354
Old 03-15-2006, 01:29 AM
VeeAte

Thanks for the tip Ken.

Didn't want to go out there this weekend and borrow fuel cans or anything. [&o]

Found an old RC Car Servo in my box of stuff and it works. It is a little bit louder than the new Hitec's I have. Should I ditch the old servo and buy a new one or should it be ok? I guess not knowing how old it is makes it a bit iffy.

If you were to run a servo that you weren't sure about what would you have it operate? I was going to put it on the rudder/front wheel.

Or you just flat out wouldnt use an unknown condition servo?
Old 03-15-2006, 09:23 AM
Fastsky

I had some older servos given to me. They worked but I found that the movement was slow compared to the newer servos. I flew them on a sport plane but removed them and would now only use them on something like a glider. Since I seem to be leaning toward fast sport planes or warbirds I can't see going to a glider any time soon.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:56 PM
VeeAte

Well I sorted it all out. Put a fuel filter before the remote needle valve.
And I bought a Dave Brown Six Shooter fuel pump off (insert auction website name here).
So fuelling is no longer a problem.

Also bought a GWS "Be Found" unit for the trainer. As well as a Hobbico Voltwatch 2.

Got the Be Found unit cause the guys were telling me the Canola crop gets pretty high and you can lose planes in it very easily.

Apparently the land owners header has eaten a few planes which were never found. Well never found until the header spewed forth a cloud of balsa and monokote.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:20 AM
bar187

hi guys,

a mate just bought one of these planes, and wants to convert it to electric. has anyone got any info on how to go about it?

thanks for any help you can give us