Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Nitroplanes.com

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Nitroplanes.com

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 02:27 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitroplanes.com

Thanks... I guess a couple of hard re-inforcement blocks are going into mine because of your post.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:42 PM
Lee62

My Staudacher is rebuilt and re balanced. It took less than half the weight to re balance. When it flew it was totally uncontrollable, the tail dropped as soon as it was off the ground. It wasn't off the ground long. My problem (I think) is that I am not used to tapered wings. The book of instructions (as they were) called for 4.5 to 5.5 inches from the leading edge. so I set my GP CG machine to 5 and balanced it. Unfortunately when I set up the spread of the balancer I didn't take into account the tapered wing and ended up balancing about an inch too far aft. I hope to take it out this weekend and try it over, hopefully with everyones help, it will fly much longer this time...
Old 09-15-2006, 10:01 AM
zayzay1

hello has anyone flown the yak 52 yet?
Old 09-15-2006, 10:04 AM
opjose

Continuing on with the Ultimate 40S from Nitroplanes/Nitromodels....

It is interesting to compare this plane to the World Models version.... these are my own observations... comparing one plane against the other.

Dimensions are identical...

The Nitroplanes version is manufactured to be lighter than the World Models version, probably making it better suited to being electrified.

The WM version has sheeting throughout the fuselage, the NP version uses the laser cut outs throughout the fuselage.

The WM version has slightly better control horns in that they are solid throughout, the NP version has far too much plastic removed to make them sturdy.

The NP has no motor mount holes in the firewall (a plus for electrification) while the WM version has them predrilled and with the retainers pre-installed.

The NP has what appears to be better sheeting around the wing support area, but I have not opened the wings to compare them.

The NP 40S uses a dual pushrod with a solder weld in the middle for the elevator, the WM uses a clamp instead.

The WM uses far thicker aluminum carbanes, with a cross brace, the NP has no cross brace and uses much thinner stock.

The NP version uses thinner wing supports, which look to be similiarly sturdy to the WM version. The NP supports have a "guide" cut into the supports, potentially eliminating the need for the alignment jigs... e.g. if the lower wing is properly mounted, then the upper wing incidence will be correct, whereas the WM version will require the alignment jigs.

The NP version uses better ultralite wheels, that appear to hold up better over time as they are slightly denser.

The WM has a stonger looking main gear, which is thicker and wider.

The NP has better wheel covers that are "grooved" to hold themselves in the proper alignment to the main gear.

The WM has the better covering material, in that it can be removed without it coming apart as much. The NP covering leaves behind half of the material when removed making recovering a bit difficult. When possible leave the NP covering in place when performing patches or fixes.

Both models feature fiberglass cowls, but the WM version has an enbossed engine "roundel" at the front. The NP version is flat.

Both planes should have their wheel supports re-inforced.

Both planes come with the firewall already fuel proofed, but it is advisable to fuel proof the fuselage as well. It WILL get fuel into it.

The NP plane comes with a smaller fuel tank, although both can accept a larger one... NP 238 CC versus WM 280 CC.

The WM has a full set of instructions, but the instructions can be sparse at times. The NP version gives you a reprint of certain pages from the WM instructions, most of which are NOT applicable to the NP plane!

Flight characteristics are about the same for both planes, although I was able to get better tail and wing alignments with the NP version of the plane. The NP tail is spot on as it came for me, as are the wings. The WM version took a lot of sanding to get within 1/8" of alignment.

The NP plane started off lighter, but by the time I finished my heavy fuel proofing of the body, it seems to be at the same weight of my WM plane.

If you've built a couple of ARF kits before, you'll have no problems with the NP Ultimate, however if your ARF is limited, the WM version may better suit you.

Old 09-15-2006, 10:14 AM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

ORIGINAL: zayzay1

Here is a [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6063887&postcount=32]little bit on it[/link], but still not enough info.

Here is the other [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568208]thread on it[/link]

Later,
Omaha
Old 09-15-2006, 11:26 AM
TypeRC
My Feedback: (153)

I just pulled the trigger and decided to purchase one. I love the color scheme it will match my 50cc Aero-Works 30%. It ended up only costing $136.51 shipped... I'd love to hear more about anyone else that is currently flying one. I think I'm going to put ether an OS FS-70 on it or a Saito FA-72 4-stroke.

Thanks,
Mike K.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:44 AM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

I'll have a O.S. .70 Surpass II for mine. Once I get my build table cleaned off (maybe today), I will try to start building it, soon after.

Later,
Omaha
Old 09-15-2006, 01:06 PM
captainpitts-RCU
My Feedback: (24)

I have the yak with about 3 flights on it. really nice flying little plane. I have mine powered with an o.s. 70 and seems to be just right for this type of plane. for the price you cant go wrong.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:35 PM
zayzay1

can you elaborate some more, coupling, 3d, floater, rock, dead sticking
Old 09-26-2006, 09:23 AM
lanny2003

ORIGINAL: lanny2003

Finished my plane. Took it out yesterday for maiden flight. Left the ground in about 10 feet. No trim needed. Great flight.
I did not have the templates. So I printed out the picture posted from darock ( on page 1 post 12 ). The wings were set right on. Used the CG from the World Models instructions (81mm). With the battery under the canopy it was dead on. I am using a Evolution .61NT with 13x6 prop. I think I will try 125% on the ailerons, the rolls were slow for me.

Now for the important part LANDING IN GRASS !!!!

If like me you have a field with grass that's just a little on the rough side. Go ahead and reinforce where the landing gear attaches.
Came in real slow (10mph head wind) could almost do a hairier landing . Just as the plane rolled to a stop the gear came off. I will post pictures later.

I love this plane.

After about 10 flights I still love this plane. Set my rates at 150%. This is a great plane for the money.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:23 AM
opjose

Re: Roll rates.

Check to make sure that the aileron control bars and linkages are not hitting the wood of the frame.

I was having a slow roll rate problem with a couple of the Ultimate 40S's (I have FOUR of them now... ) and it turned out that this was the case with these.

A little bending of the control wire/bars was all that was needed to get the roll rates back to normal.

Old 09-29-2006, 05:41 AM
uncle

Where is the cheapest place to buy the Nitro Ulitmate 40S? Thank you for your help. Jim
Old 09-29-2006, 08:25 AM
zayzay1

raidentech.com and use the free shipping or 10% off coupon
Old 09-29-2006, 09:35 AM
opjose

Make sure you check my earlier post and review the differences between the WM and the Nitroplanes version of the Ultimate 40S.

If you can build ARFs and have some experience with them, the Nitroplanes version is fine. Note that you will need to replace and reinforce a few items.

If you have only built an ARF or two, go for the WM version instead, the directions for the WM version have a semblence of being complete. The Nitroplanes instructions are all but non-existent.

Raidentech and Nitroplanes sell the same version of the Ultimate 40S, WM sells a slightly different version.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:52 AM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

My Yak 3D is RTF [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6106687&postcount=101]pics can be seen here[/link]. Hope to fly it, sometime this weekend! In the thread, you will find some [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6115634#post6115634]H. stab modifications[/link], that should be considered, prior to flying it.

Later,
Omaha
Old 09-29-2006, 11:49 AM
lanny2003

A friend of mine maiden his YAK 54. Make sure the wings are tight.

http://whiteknuckleairlines.com/inde...2&key=14&hit=1

Also here is the Ultimate for $80

http://www.peakmodel.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=178
Old 09-30-2006, 05:48 AM
uncle

[img][/img] Greath think I will order one today.. Thanks for your help. Jim
Old 10-01-2006, 01:31 AM
opjose

Great price for the Ultimate, assuming you live in New Zealand.

Ugh.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:47 AM
RC_DESI
My Feedback: (44)

ORIGINAL: zayzay1

Hi, I maidened my Yak 52 yday with the following setup:

Saito 82a @ 14x4W APC (side mounted)
HS 625MG for rudder & elevator with 4-40 pushrods
HS 545 for ailerons
HS 225 for throttle
Panasonic 1650 Nimh
Dubro 10oz fuel tank (the one that came with the kits is too small + burst at the seams while tightning the stopper)
2.75" foam wheels I already had

Modifications
- Used a C/F tube instead of elevator joiner to reduce/avoid flexing
- Had drilled holes for DClips in the Anti Rotation dowels (as recommended by WildHare planes) after seeing CRASH's video at WKA

Take off was smooth & needed ONLY 4-5 clicks of left aileron to have the plane fly hands free !!!. I was pleasently surprised that I did not need any elevator/rudder trim Also most probably I needed the left trim as I have mounted the engine sideways & did not lateral balance the plane.

Power is plenty for this plane & it hovers at 1/2 throttle. Vertical is unlimited.

I found NO coupling in Knife Edge & could KE the whole runaway holding only rudder.

Harriers are not bad with very little wing rock. Flat spins are decent.

The plane slows down pretty good for landings & glides very well.

I did not go crazy on the plane as it was the first day flying.

Overall I am VERY impressed by the quality & the flying characterictics of this plane. It definately is a keeper at $125 & I would highy recommend this to anyone

--Arvind
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt55985.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	537722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47125.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	537723  
Old 10-13-2006, 10:50 PM
Tim Taylor

[quote]ORIGINAL: lanny2003

Finished my plane. Took it out yesterday for maiden flight. Left the ground in about 10 feet. No trim needed. Great flight.
I did not have the templates. So I printed out the picture posted from darock ( on page 1 post 12 ). The wings were set right on. Used the CG from the World Models instructions (81mm). With the battery under the canopy it was dead on. I am using a Evolution .61NT with 13x6 prop. I think I will try 125% on the ailerons, the rolls were slow for me.
Is this the yak or the ultimate? I run a 52 magnum in my ultimate, flys like a dream. A fast dream.

Tim
Old 10-15-2006, 06:11 PM
lanny2003

[quote]ORIGINAL: Tim Taylor

Is this the yak or the ultimate? I run a 52 magnum in my ultimate, flys like a dream. A fast dream.

Tim
I have the Ultimate. Love it.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:08 PM
Hardin Valley Magic

I have one of these from Raidentech. and as stated earlier the directions leave a lot to be desired. However, the quality is very very good.. I am planning on a 90 degree mounted O.S. 46 LA with a slimline Pitts and a 11X6 prop. Since I am planning on taking off of grass from time to time I have removed the wheel pants and added a little bigger wheel. Hope to have a pic soon it is white and purple. Can't wait!!!!! [8D]
Old 10-29-2006, 07:52 PM
RC_DESI
My Feedback: (44)

WARNING. On the first flight of the day (10-12 flights in total ), I noticed some serious flutter in the elevator of my Yak 54 (52) 3D.

Landed immediately & on inspection noticed that the stab wood had cracked on both sides of the elevator just where it attached the fuselage. I had used 30min epoxy & made sure NOT to cut into the wood while removing the covering etc

Anyway I will have to cut the covering from the bottom & CA the whole thing besides adding some support to the stabs.

just wanted to warn any owners to keep checking that...
Old 10-29-2006, 08:02 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Hardin Valley Magic

I have one of these from Raidentech. and as stated earlier the directions leave a lot to be desired. However, the quality is very very good.. I am planning on a 90 degree mounted O.S. 46 LA with a slimline Pitts and a 11X6 prop. Since I am planning on taking off of grass from time to time I have removed the wheel pants and added a little bigger wheel. Hope to have a pic soon it is white and purple. Can't wait!!!!! [8D]
The Ultimate 40S is a great flying airplane.

While not a 3D craft it holds it's own with stunts.

The .46 LA will work but it will be somewhat anemic with this engine (I've tried). The .46 LA is about the equivalent of a .32 FX type engine, which you are putting into a plane that calls for at least a .40.

That said the 40S was originally a .30 plane, which was lengthened, etc. to turn it into a .40.

The .46LA should pull it w/o problems but it will not yank the plane straight up as a .46 AX/FX will with the same prop.

Given that the Nitromodels/Raidentech plane is actually lighter than the WM equivalent, this may work in your favor.

You may want to also try a 12x5 prop. On my .46 TH equipped 40S, the 11x6 makes this a VERY fast airplane, almost too fast for a biplane. Several people have suggested that I lower the pitch to bring it's speed down a bit.

Old 10-29-2006, 08:55 PM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

ORIGINAL: arvind_rao

WARNING. On the first flight of the day (10-12 flights in total ), I noticed some serious flutter in the elevator of my Yak 54 (52) 3D.

Landed immediately & on inspection noticed that the stab wood had cracked on both sides of the elevator just where it attached the fuselage. I had used 30min epoxy & made sure NOT to cut into the wood while removing the covering etc

Anyway I will have to cut the covering from the bottom & CA the whole thing besides adding some support to the stabs.

just wanted to warn any owners to keep checking that...

You are not the only one [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6115634#post6115634]with that problem[/link]. That is one of the reasons I sold mine. I reinforced my stab with Carbon Fiber tubes, but I never flew it, to see how it would hold up.

Later,
Omaha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.