Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

need to remove epoxy

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

need to remove epoxy

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 01:07 AM
kbailey45
My Feedback: (41)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need to remove epoxy

When I installed my rudder I had more epoxy run out than I thought and now that it is dry it is limiting my rudder travel. I tried to cut it out with a hobby knife but it is being very difficult. What is the best way to remove epoxy from a tight space like that.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:55 AM
clouddancer

Default RE: need to remove epoxy

A dremel with a grinding wheel or metal cutting wheel, carefully used would work well.

Or if you dont have a dremel, a hobby saw would also work. A small file could be used to remove small amounts.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:15 AM
Zeeb

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Well there are several ways, but epoxy doesn't like heat.

What I'd try first is to go get yourself a hot knife. That may not be the exact name, but basically it's like an inexpensive soldering iron which is setup to hold a hobby knife blade. Plug it in and when it warms up, it'll cut through epoxy quite nicely. You may not be able to get to all of the excess with it, but it will make short work of what you can get to.

IIRC mine cost about $6 or so, well worth the frustration it saves me...
Old 12-30-2007, 10:26 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I have used the above mentioned as well as the grinding ball in my Dremel, and a soldering iron with a cutting tip.

Also, for future reference, when using epoxy, denatured alcohol emulsifies and removes epoxy until it cures. After you install the parts, you can wipe any excess epoxy off with denatured alcohol and then tape the part in place. You can also mix 5 min with alcohol and brush it on areas you want to fuel proof, like fire walls and engine conpartments, under landing gear mounts, etc. Works great.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:55 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heat makes a nice clean job of it, an old soldering iron works well. Be carefull thinning epoxy, too much alcohol makes it drunk and it doesn't like to cure. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 12-31-2007, 02:03 AM
ram3500-RCU

I thin 5 min epoxy to the viscosity of latex paint and it still cures. It takes about 20 min though. The alcohol evaporates, leaving the epoxy on it's own. The mix is 1 part A, 1 part B, and 2 parts alcohol. This brew is not intended for gluing, only sealing and fuel proofing.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:35 AM
Zeeb

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: red head

Heat makes a nice clean job of it, an old soldering iron works well. Be carefull thinning epoxy, too much alcohol makes it drunk and it doesn't like to cure. ENJOY !!! RED
I experienced some difficulties with thinned epoxy drying as well. When I asked my friend/mentor about it, he indicated he'd never had the problem.

I finally solved the mystery with some research and testing and I found that the use of regular rubbing alcohol which is 30% water was causing me grief. The 91% concentration (Isopropyl) worked better but it's still got 9% water in it. The solution is to go to the local hardware store and buy you some denatured alcohol, then you can thin the epoxy as much as you want and it'll still dry...
Old 12-31-2007, 10:57 AM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

always pre oil hinges. i would add small amts of oil on the hinge and work the surface back and forth. something has to give, If you bust the rudder you need to fix anyway. my lhs sells small pens full of oil with a needle applicator for 3.99
Old 01-01-2008, 01:03 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: Zeeb

ORIGINAL: red head

I experienced some difficulties with thinned epoxy drying as well. When I asked my friend/mentor about it, he indicated he'd never had the problem.

I finally solved the mystery with some research and testing and I found that the use of regular rubbing alcohol which is 30% water was causing me grief. The 91% concentration (Isopropyl) worked better but it's still got 9% water in it. The solution is to go to the local hardware store and buy you some denatured alcohol, then you can thin the epoxy as much as you want and it'll still dry...
Thanks for doing the research and sharing it with us. I knew that denatured alcohol worked well with epoxy and others didn't, but I didn't know why.