Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Extra 300 GP/EP

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Extra 300 GP/EP

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 02:05 PM
futurepilot03
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Extra 300 GP/EP

Hey everyone-
Just maindened the extra a little while ago. Plane flew great! No complaints what so ever. Thanks to everyone on this thread that really helped out. This thread was the reason I bought the plane.

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2009, 08:37 AM
apwachholz

futurepilot03 -

Congratulations! It's a mighty sweet ride if you treat it well. I haven't even begun to dive thoroughly into its capabilities and it's already a hand-full for someone who's just getting into advanced aerobatics. Also, it's one tuff airplane as well. Long story short, I flew mine into a tall rod sticking out from the ground and cut right into the wing. It dropped instantly from the sky (I was about 4 ft. on a slow/low landing approach), pancaked to the ground, and was flying the next morning. It can take the abuse. [:@]
Old 08-16-2009, 09:52 PM
futurepilot03

Well that is certainly a good thing! One thing I did notice is that it gives very little (if any) warning as to when it will stall on approach. Luckily, I haven't had much misfortune with the plane and it still looks and flies great. What would you recommend on a good, fast servo for the ailerons for
Old 08-17-2009, 03:29 PM
apwachholz

futurepilot03 -

I'm sorry I can't help you on servos. If it was about micro-servos I could, but as fasr as standard servos I've kept to my $12 ones and never tried anything different. I'm not at that level yet.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:37 PM
josh6575

futurepilot03

I have been usint jr st47bb servos for elevator and ailerons. For the rudder I have a jr st126. I can hover, knife edge, flat spin, wall, and elevator with this set up. I am trying to work on waterfalls and harriers. Hope my set up helps.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:18 AM
carl witwer
My Feedback: (2)

hello everybody flying this plane

just wondering about landing fast or slow

thank you carl
Old 08-18-2009, 10:04 AM
josh6575

I bring my plane down to about 4' at the end of the runway. Then I give it some up and bring the throttle up a few clicks to get it to hold the same altitude while flying at an angle to get it to land three point. I first tried gliding in at idle and it dropped like a rock onto the runway. Fast landings are a bit better but it bounces alot. Flaring with the throttle up seems to be best method I have found. I have landed my plane so hard it bent the landing gear and knocked the canopy off with a little tear in the monocote. It was so rough that I thought I would be buying some parts for shore. This has to be the toughest plane I have given any abuse outside of flying a duraplane.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:26 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I just finished putting one of these together. Very well designed. I am sure it will fly well. Should get the maiden in on Wednesday. I am not a big 3D guy and went with a Saito .56 as this is what I had laying around. Very strong engine with a 12-6 but I am sure not what many of you would want. My lighter engine will hopefully aid in balance as I put the Rudder servo up front.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:16 PM
mtbell92

I've had my extra since March. I have a Saito 82 with 14x6 prop. Hitec 5485HB servos. I have had major flutter problems with the right wing since the first flight. I have put Du-Bro heavy duty servo arms on the servos, sealed the surface on the ailerons. There is no slop in the linkages, and I still gat a VERY bad flutter when flying at half throttle. It is so bad that I'm surprised the plane is still together. One time the flutter stripped the gears in the futaba 3004 servos I had in it at first, so I went to the HS5485. Another time it pulled the servo mount loose that was attached with epoxy. The next time it pulled the linkage apart. The only thing I can see is the aileron is shorter than the trailing edge. I have written tower hobbies support and their response, the wing may by broken. The wing is not broken and this has happened from day one. I have been building and flying for almost 20 years and have never experienced this. Anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 08-18-2009, 05:35 PM
josh6575

I have had flutter created by monocote that was not shrunk tight. Other than that I cannot think of anything. I also fly with the 14x4w, standard size servos, and a saito 80. I don't have any complaints.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:50 PM
vertical grimmace

ORIGINAL: mtbell92

I've had my extra since March. I have a Saito 82 with 14x6 prop. Hitec 5485HB servos. I have had major flutter problems with the right wing since the first flight. I have put Du-Bro heavy duty servo arms on the servos, sealed the surface on the ailerons. There is no slop in the linkages, and I still gat a VERY bad flutter when flying at half throttle. It is so bad that I'm surprised the plane is still together. One time the flutter stripped the gears in the futaba 3004 servos I had in it at first, so I went to the HS5485. Another time it pulled the servo mount loose that was attached with epoxy. The next time it pulled the linkage apart. The only thing I can see is the aileron is shorter than the trailing edge. I have written tower hobbies support and their response, the wing may by broken. The wing is not broken and this has happened from day one. I have been building and flying for almost 20 years and have never experienced this. Anyone have any other suggestions?
One thing you can do is cut a taper into the aileron at the tip. Reducing some of the are out there helps a lot. We did this with our long span combat models as they would all flutter at high speed. Not sure if you are willing to accept the change in look but it will help.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:03 PM
Fasthobbys1
My Feedback: (11)

Just ordered mine today expect it on Monday from Local Hobby Shop Ray's Hobby. I am planning on putting a YS 63 in it not sure on servo's yet.Hitec or Futaba. Can't wait for the first flight after all the good things I hear about this plane
Old 08-18-2009, 09:10 PM
futurepilot03

I too first experienced some minor flutter on the left aileron when above half throttle. I am using all the equipment that came with the plane and standard servos. Putting tape on one side of the hinge on each surface solved the problem... hope this helps!
Old 08-19-2009, 01:18 PM
vertical grimmace

Going to maiden this afternoon. Should I put a little tape on the canopy or will it hang on? Has this been a constant problem or just sporatic? I need to modify it for a screw I believe but will test fly before this mod. I would just hate to lose it. I am using GP not electric.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:20 PM
GP G-Rod

I have flown mine with a small piece of tape at the back of the canopy top. BUT...I have more flights on it without.....and its most aggresive 3d crazy flights were with out any tape. I have not had to make the walk of shame to look for it yet.
My airplane is bone stock per the manual....with an .81 4 stroke.

cheers!
Old 08-19-2009, 03:28 PM
josh6575

I monocoted over the holes in th firewall area and have never had my canopy fall off in flight and the inside stays clean.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:11 PM
vertical grimmace

Got in the maiden! I really like this plane. It flies awesome. I may be a little underpowered with the Saito .56. I do not think it will hover it. I am not much of a 3d pilot though. It is rock solid though and snaps, spins, KE, stall turns, everything is very smooth and easy to perform. This plane is light and it flies light. It took me a few landings to figure it out but like most airplanes you have to get it slow. I just slowly worked the elevator back until it setteled onto the runway. If you have much speed, it will not stall and you will just bounce down the runway. Also, the wing is fairly thin so it does not like to lose speed.
Overall, Great airplane. I would recommend more engine than the .56 saito though. It is fine for me though so I will stick with it for a while. It did balance perfectly with it though having the rudder servo mounted in the canopy area instead of the tail.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:45 PM
futurepilot03

Congrats on the maiden!

as for the canopy- I personally have not had a single issue. I've put it through the most violent 3D it can muster with a .46, and it hasn't budged
Old 08-20-2009, 08:40 PM
obriendigital
My Feedback: (13)

I lost my canopy on the second flight with just simple slow roll, I even put a few pieces of foam up front between the dowels to push the canopy back...it landed in our club pond! Not fun. I have a saito .82 in it, so maybe it rattles the plane a bit more. I am putting a piece of tape on it until I get some bigger magnets.

I might note, I did upgrade the landing gear to carbon fiber - http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/detail.aspx?ID=2179 as my previous set bent on a deadstick landing. They save a lot of weight and look cool.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:21 PM
futurepilot03

Can the CG affect the way a plane knife edges? Everytime I knife edge it tends to turn toward the landing gear. Is there anything I can do other than mix it out?
Old 08-23-2009, 05:03 PM
obriendigital
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: futurepilot03

Can the CG affect the way a plane knife edges? Everytime I knife edge it tends to turn toward the landing gear. Is there anything I can do other than mix it out?
This plane needs a knife edge mix, I put a slight mix in mine and works well.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:30 PM
futurepilot03

Alright looks like that's the route I will go.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:12 PM
Allfat

Hello everyone, I have this plane and it is currently powered with a Saito 62 and I would like more power. I can get a good deal on an OS FS81 and I was wondering if it would give this plane unlimited performance or if I should go bigger with a 90 size 4 stroke. I have my rudder servo in the tail and the battery just behind the firewall for balance, so the bigger engine shouldn't be a problem if I move my battery back, which is not a problem. Let me know what you think.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:30 PM
apwachholz

Allfat -

I'm currently running an O.S. .91 Surpass 2 (4-stroke) w/a 12x8 blade in mine and have unlimited vertical at 3/4 throttle. So you'll be fine in the 'power' department with an O.S. .81 in my opinion. And as an FYI:I mounted all my servos inside the fuselage and shifted my Rx battery around inside to balance it out. Ididn't need to add any weight so my guess is you'll be alright.

Oh, most times I do all my aerobatics at 55% - 70% throttle. Iknife edge around 70% almost perfectly w/no mixing (However, I don't believe in mixing or dual rates - that's another story).

Cheers!
Old 09-02-2009, 05:00 PM
Dukasso

I´m running an O.S. 61 FX w/apc 12X6 elevator servo in the fuselage and rudder servo in the tail, I do all my aerobatics at 55% 65% throttle but for hover you need more than 90% power, overall the plane flies great. knife edge need a little up elevator you can mixed but is not necesary because de amount of up elevator is minimum with practice you can get beatiful knife edges

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.