Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Please Help Me!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Please Help Me!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 09:13 PM
bonebreak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help Me!!

I crashed my CMPro Extra 330l 50 sizetoday, and really don't want to repair it. The plane has ALOT of bad habits, and its just not worth the headaches. Anyways, I need a new aerobat for my OS .61fx engine. Please give me some idea's for a tried and true model. I am currently flying a Great Planes Escapade, and want something a little more capable. I dont need it to 3D, as that is just not my cup of tea. I would like a "extra type" plane, but it doesn't have to be an Extra. I would also like a bi-plane if you have any good idea's. Thanks

Kevin
Old 06-11-2009, 09:22 PM
ohnoucdat
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Please Help Me!!

Great Planes Extra 300 GP/EP I'm thinking of one myself but would probably go with a 55AX
Old 06-11-2009, 09:35 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ohnoucdat

Great Planes Extra 300 GP/EP I'm thinking of one myself but would probably go with a 55AX
I agree, it is an excellent airplane. The .61 may be a little big but a little extra power isn't always a bad thing.

GP is also coming out with a Cap-580 that they are recomending a .46-.61: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWPJ5&P=ML

Then there is this: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWSX5&P=ML

The Skybolt really begs for a 4-stroke but .61 2-stroke would still be great: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLUT7&P=0

If you want tot take on a kit, this would do well with a .61: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJ578&P=0 Ran a .46 in mine but needed a bunch of nose weight. Bigger engine might help with that.

Another one: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJ580&P=0

Old 06-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I suggest the Great Planes Venus 40. I"m flying one with a 55AX and it's a lot of fun. With the battery moved back you would not need extra balance weight.

It is a great plane for in between the 'low wing trainers' like the Escapade, and something with the scale habits of an Extra. Very capable, yet smooth with very few couplings:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBMZ5&P=ML
Old 06-12-2009, 07:52 AM
jzrf6c

One of the biggest surprise I've gotten lately was from the Hog-bipe.  With a magnum .61fx its a great flying plane.  Flies so smooth and lands great!  Yet it can still do a lot of maneuvers.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:19 AM
sudi9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about GREAT PLEANS revolver,one of the best planes i ever owned,real fun to fly fast and airobatic great choice if you ask me!!!
Old 06-12-2009, 08:34 AM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: sudi9

How about GREAT PLEANS revolver,one of the best planes i ever owned,real fun to fly fast and airobatic great choice if you ask me!!!
That's another good one.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:40 AM
playntraffic

Phoenix Extra 330
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMUY2&P=0

Yak 54 60 Size by Seagull
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SEA4075
Old 06-12-2009, 09:49 AM
poorwboy

Here,s another good one.
Seagull edge 540.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SEA4000

Old 06-12-2009, 10:09 AM
bonebreak

Hey guys, thanks for all the help. I do have a question however. Most of the planes listed here call for a .61 - .91. Is my .61 not going to be enough since it's on the lower scale??
Old 06-12-2009, 11:08 AM
poorwboy

You could go for this plane, and your motor would be golden in this plane.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SEA3100
Old 06-12-2009, 11:10 AM
Jetdesign

I question the original statement about 'bad habits' - is this due to the particular airframe or just the style of plane? If the OP crashed a scale aerobat because of generic coupling issues, why are we recommending more of the same type?

Extras and Yaks are a big jump up from an Escapade. It's not that I don't want to see you in a fun aerobatic plane, I just don't want to see you posting about more headaches and crashed planes.

I would think something like the Venus, Reactor, U-Can-Do, and other capable yet user friendly planes would be a better step up.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:20 AM
poorwboy

I guess we should ask what the bad habits are? I have a 90 size cmpro extra 300, and it is a great flying plane. It basically flys itself.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:32 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: bonebreak

Hey guys, thanks for all the help. I do have a question however. Most of the planes listed here call for a .61 - .91. Is my .61 not going to be enough since it's on the lower scale??
It depends on the palne and what you want it to do. Just coming off a plane like the Escapade you may not necessarily want to overpower something right away.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:44 PM
bonebreak

Let me clarify. I am fully capable of flying the Extra, and very well I might add. I have about 30 successful flights and 60+ landings. The reason it crashed is because I dead sticked at very low throttle, and could'nt pull it out due to children on the feild ( I would rather crash than hit a kid). This is the second crash, and both very similar. The first time I was at a moderate speed, and the wing dropped during final, and down it went (there was no signs of stalling, and I was going plenty fast). The CMPro 50 size is a piece of junk due to its very bad habit of dropping a wing, even at moderate speed. I followed a thread about this plane, and there are very few who have not drove this plane into the ground after numerous successful flights. The plane is VERY heavy for its size (.40size at 7lbs), and although I could probably fix it, I would rather get a plane that is as capable, and doesn't have ASMANY bad habits (and gets rave reviews from those that have one). I bouight the plane prior to researching it, and most said to stay VERY far away. I should have listened. Anyways, I don't want to risk my engine again hoping this plane doesn't crash again. I feel lucky so far, and don't want to test my luck.

PS, my Escapade is my throw around plane, and is a blast to fly. It however is not much of a challange.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:46 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

I question the original statement about 'bad habits' - is this due to the particular airframe or just the style of plane? If the OP crashed a scale aerobat because of generic coupling issues, why are we recommending more of the same type?

Extras and Yaks are a big jump up from an Escapade. It's not that I don't want to see you in a fun aerobatic plane, I just don't want to see you posting about more headaches and crashed planes.

I would think something like the Venus, Reactor, U-Can-Do, and other capable yet user friendly planes would be a better step up.
Just because planes share a name or are based on a particular full scale plane does nto mean they fly the same. In other words, an Extra-300 from one manufacturer may be different than an Extra-300 from someone else.

Take the GP Extra-300 mentioned. It is about as neutral, and "honest" flying plane as I have seen. It has a slight pull to the belly in knife-edge but that's it. It has no odd stall tendencies and lands nice & easy. I've flow other models of the the Extra-300 and they aren't always as friendly.

Same goes for Yaks, Edges, Sukhois, warbirds, etc. You can see quite a few design differences between planes even though they are modeled after the same full scale aircraft.

I think the GP Extra-300 or similar flying plane would be great for someone who can competently handle a low wing trainer like the Escapade. Same goes for the Skybolt, Reactor, a good Yak, the Venus (40 size is discontinued sadly), etc.

I've never flown the CMP Extra so I can't comment on it.

Still, you have a good point. If a pilot isn't ready for something there could be problems. That's where a pilot has to be honest with himself. I learned that the expensive way a few years ago.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:55 PM
bonebreak

I have to agree with Chuck. I have read nothing but bad things about this plane, and nothing but great things about other Extra's. This plane has gotten thumbs down from most, and I give it the same. Please don't base my skills on a bad plane that cant fly on less than half throttle with a .61 engine without falling out of the sky (it calls for a .40 - .46 at 6 1/2lbs to 7lbs). I am not made of money, and have no intentions of learning the expensive way. I would like a tried and true aerobat that doesn't have any more than the nomal aerobat issue's.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:45 PM
poorwboy

I dont think RC meant anything bad, he was just asking if you had experience with a aerobatic plane.
That is a real bad habit if a extra drops a wing, extras usually just fall not drop a wing. Some of the cmpro planes are good, and some are not. My Cmpro 90 size extra is a awesome flier.
Also the seagull planes are real good planes and they have replacement parts at a fair price. I have seen many fly, and they look great.

Goodluck.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:42 PM
carrellh

The Phoenix 60 size Extra is supposed to weigh about 8 pounds
The Seagull 60 size YAK is supposed to weigh about 9 pounds

I think the .61 two stroke should fly them pretty well but probably would not give "unlimited" performance.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:47 PM
bonebreak

ORIGINAL: poorwboy

I dont think RC meant anything bad, he was just asking if you had experience with a aerobatic plane.
That is a real bad habit if a extra drops a wing, extras usually just fall not drop a wing. Some of the cmpro planes are good, and some are not. My Cmpro 90 size extra is a awesome flier.
Also the seagull planes are real good planes and they have replacement parts at a fair price. I have seen many fly, and they look great.

Goodluck.
I didn't take it bad, just explaining myself.

I have heard that the CMPro 90 size is a really good plane. Evidentely, they just dropped the ball on the design for the 50 size. It wouls drop a wing if you looked at it wrong it seemed. It surely kept me on my toes.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:10 PM
cmoulder

ORIGINAL: carrellh

The Phoenix 60 size Extra is supposed to weigh about 8 pounds
The Seagull 60 size YAK is supposed to weigh about 9 pounds

I think the .61 two stroke should fly them pretty well but probably would not give "unlimited" performance.
My Phoenix Extra weighs 7 lbs 0.7 oz AUW with an O.S. .91 4 stroke. Depending on 2-stroke engine/muffler comboand other efforts to reduce weight, it can be easily gotten down to 6 lb 8oz.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:32 PM
carrellh

I'm surprised. I got the weight from the Tower Hobbies tech notes. Most of my stuff has ended up weighing more the "spec weight" from web sites or manuals.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:46 PM
cmoulder

Good thing their error is on the high side... this plane is extremely light on the wing, even with my heavier .91 4-stroke.

Great, inexpensive combo would be this plane with the Tower .75 mounted horizontally and a Pitts muffler.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:34 PM
Skratchbilt
My Feedback: (6)

Just out of curiosity, which wing falls?
Old 06-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Jetdesign

Yeah I just wanted to make sure we were suggesting appropriate planes. I'm sorry to hear the OP had a bad experience with a bad plane, however it might make him appreciate something like this even more than the rest of us:

This is the plane you want!

Aeroworks has a pretty dynamite reputation and everything in their kits is first rate - hardware, covering, quality...

Especially with you 'not needing 3D' a .61 in this sub-6lb bird should fly wonderful aerobatics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.