Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Glodberg Eagle flight problems

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Glodberg Eagle flight problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 10:24 AM
ysrcflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glodberg Eagle flight problems

I picked up an Eagle from a swap for my son to learn on. We recovered it and repaired all areas of the framework. My question is this: What should the wing and stab incedence be? I have 2 deg. pos. on the stab when the wing is at "0".

When we fly it we have to have about 1/8-3/16" of up elevator trimmed into it. The plane balances at the front of the spar now. We added 1oz. of weight to the rear and then it was very pitch sensitive, expecially in any amount of wind.

I never had any plane that I had to have so much elevator trimed into it to fly level. Any one have any thoughts on this?
Old 08-25-2003, 10:27 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It sounds like the stab has too much incidence. If you can't change it, you could try putting a shim under the front of the main wing to make them both Zero with each other.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:41 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ditto. You could cut it off and re-glue it, or do as Mike said. If it is epoxied on, you can use heat to get it off.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:41 AM
ysrcflyer

I shimmed the front of the wing and I needed almost 5/16" of shims to get both at "0". Then the wing doesn't sit very secure on the saddle. Does any one have a copy of the plans for this so you can check what it originally should have been? To me its hard to understand how it could have been built this far off. If this is the case it looks like a winter rebuild project. Also if I shim up the wing, what happens to the engine and fuselage thrust angles?
Old 08-26-2003, 11:06 AM
rogwabbit

Re: Also if I shim up the wing, what happens to the engine and fuselage thrust angles?

I wouldn't worry about that too much.. you will be changing the aoa on both surfaces.. mostly it will cause a little more drag during flight. This may be good for learning anyways as it will slow it down a little.

If you are really concerned, shim the bottom of the motor mount to give a little up thrust.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:38 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would fly it like that for now, and plan to do some surgery on the stab this winter
Old 08-26-2003, 08:30 PM
ysrcflyer

I didn't have any projects lined up for this winter so it looks like this is on the top of our list for winter projects. THANKS!
Old 08-26-2003, 10:24 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand the problem. It was picked up at a swap meet and re-covered. It flies with a bit of up elevator. It is a trainer. Can he learn on it? Yes! It is a trainer. It flies!. Use it. He will probably transform it at some time during his training anyway. Train him! :0
Old 12-24-2003, 01:55 AM
taylorcraft1947

Default RE: Glodberg Eagle flight problems

ysrcflyer,

I just went out to my workshop and checked my eagle 63. It is set up the same way, with ~2 deg. of positive incidence. This is not wrong, as the fuselage sides are pre-cut and match the plan. Anyway, that much trim is not completely horrible. Maybe it is just flying a little slower than it was designed to fly.

taylorcraft1947
Old 12-24-2003, 02:28 AM
ghendrix01
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ysrcflyer,

As taylorcraft1947 stated, I think that your plane is built correctly. I had the Eaglet 50 which is a .25 size Eagle 2 and if I remember right, the instructions stated that the elevator was initially setup with some up in it. This is probably designed into the plane so it will be more stable. It is a trainer and stability is what is designed into it. Remove the extra weight you added to the tail and if it flies straight and level at all throttle positions with the up trim in the elevator, it's ok as is.

George
Old 12-24-2003, 01:05 PM
TerrellFlyer

our club eagle is balanced on the spar,a little in front isn't a big deal,when you added a oz. to the tail bet it was exciting. The plane is fine they way it is,go fly and have fun,or mail me the plane and I'll have fun.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:41 PM
CafeenMan

Remove the weight, balance where it's supposed to and fly again. If it pitches up under power, then add some downthrust to the engine. That should resolve most of the trim problems.