Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Nexstar Crash....

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Nexstar Crash....

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 11:38 PM
ethrjock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nexstar Crash....

Well I did it. I destroyed my new 2 day old Nexstar today.

I was a "ok" flyer about 8 years ago (trainer 40 by great planes). I wanted to get back into the hobby. I knew I needed to re-start with a trainer so I bought the NexStar.

On my first flight it was a bit windy. I took her up and flew it for 5 minutes or so. Not sure how long she could fly for on a tank and considering the amount of taxing around I did I felt it was time to land her. The landing was pretty good. One bounce but she came back to the ground intact. What a rush it was.

On the next day, Christmas day, I was less nervous since I felt good that i flew her and landed it sucessfully. I was in the air about 2 minutes practicing my landing aproaches. I misjugded the distance the plane was from me as I brought it over the tree tops. I thought the plane was between me and the trees....my mistake. It was still above the trees. I hit a small pine as she descended for landing about 30 feet up. It hit hard on the wing and them smashed into the ground. It broke the fuselage in half near the servo tray and broke 1/3 of the wind in half. 2/3's of the wing made it to the ground the other 1/3 was in the top of a pine tree. Needless to say I was heart broken. My wife bought it for me for christmas.

The engine and radio seems ok. The tail section is ok. I had to use my shot gun to retreive a part of the wing left in the tree. I limped back home not looking forward to telling her about the crash.

Now what? The fuse kit is $62 and the wing is $69. Both are on back order at Tower hobbies. Part of me thinks I should just buy another type of trainer ARF. Not because the Nexstar is a bad plane but because I can buy another plane for the cost of a wing and fuse for the Nexstar. I do agree with others the AFS system is of no use. I disabled it. So without that it is more like any other trainer. Any sugestion?? ...besides getting my prescription glasses checked. How about the Hobbico MKIII.

Man....depth percepiton is a bear. I never thought the plane was any where near that tree. Boy was I wrong when I heard the loud crack.
Old 12-25-2003, 11:51 PM
Dewalt17

Default RE: Nexstar Crash....

Man sorry for your loss!!! Its posts like this that are making me hold off taking my Nexstar up. I "broke my engine in" a few days ago and taxied around. I feel confident with all the controls thanks to the sim but i want to have a instuctor by my side just in case. Biggest reason is im so shakey because i have never flown before. I have read posts about guys who have gone out to just taxi and put her in the air with disasterous results. If it wasnt for those posts i surely would have taken off. Thank goodness for RCU.

Once again sorry about the crash, hope your up in the air again soon!!!
Old 12-26-2003, 12:23 AM
bobs_201
My Feedback: (1)

I totally agree with Dewalt17 post like these have actually made me afraid to fly. I have had my NexStar for over one month and it has never been off of the ground other than when I was carrying it around a few times. Infact i don't even have the slightest clue on how to broke my engine in.... I had i crank once but i quickly advanced the throttle and it shut off...and I never got it recranked.

Any suggestions...
Old 12-26-2003, 12:41 AM
ethrjock

Make sure the pressure hose to the muffler and the hose for filling her up was not swapped. I was having a problem like you where it would die after throttling up..I discovered the hose for filling up the tank was connected to the muffler. The 3 line fueling system is nice but not if you forget to re-connect them right. ONce I swapped them around the problem went away.

I have to stress to you both. The simulator cannot simulate real life events like depth perception. That was my problem. I thought the plane was much closer to me than it actually was. Thanks for your simpathy. I am not giving up though.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:14 AM
baxternick
My Feedback: (19)

I learned to fly in a pretty short time with a tower .46arf trainer. They are pretty cheap $70! I have learned to fly with that plane put it in the ground a few times, but it is easy to assemble and reapair if need be. I really think the Nextar is to expensive. But to each his own...
Old 12-26-2003, 01:22 AM
Dewalt17

In response to baxternick the Nexstar i agree is more expensive than other planes you can buy, but you have to realize that it comes with a flight sim for the Nexstar and other stuff like the AFS. Now like most here in the forums i believe they should sell it without the AFS and maybe it would be even cheaper. It has a lot of cool features like speed flaps and airfoil extensions that make it a very stable plane to fly for a first timer. In other words, you get what you pay for!!!
Old 12-26-2003, 01:41 AM
FletchNJ

Well I feel for you my friend. I have had mine for 2 weeks, and it has never left the house. Not going to either until training day. Hopefully your story will ring a bit of sense with those not wanting to join the AMA or not use an instructor.

If I were to start mine 'just to check it out', I know for sure I would have it up in the air, and it would probably be the last time I flew it. I lost a .40 trainer about 10 years ago on my second flight. I had once flight of instruction, then the wind kicked up, the next day I decided I could do this on my own. I remember that day well, and it has kept me in check with my NexSTAR.

At least you salvaged the electronics.....

Fletch
AMA 796990
Old 12-26-2003, 03:04 AM
Banned

Doesn't the NexStar come with a warranty that you'll learn to fly or your money back or something? I mean, they are uncrashable right? Seriously though. If you follow their instructions to make the warranty valid, you'll be at an AMA field with an instructor. That kinda makes any trainer a lot safer till you learn. I take it you weren't on a buddy box, and the amazing new features of the NexStar didn't include a tree avoidance system? I've got a couple friends buying trainers. I took them to the LHS and they have a large selection. The salesman started spouting how the NexStar was the new breed of trainer. I told my friend "they are all just trainers, the NexStar is this month's latest & greatest, there will be a new and improved trainer out soon, but it will just be another trainer also." I'm glad to see you aren't giving up, even though you crashed a un-crashable plane sir.... - Joe
Old 12-26-2003, 10:35 AM
bobs_201
My Feedback: (1)

ethrjock, I think you should give the Nexstar another shot...Practice on your simulator more...and who knows maybe you will be the Next Star that has mastered their trainer and have accelerated into 3D flying!

Good luck NextTime!!!
Old 12-26-2003, 11:55 AM
Madd_Maxx

ethrjock:

Since you already have a motor and radio gear out of your nexstar.....go and build yourself a spad. They are almost as indestructable as a tank and do fly very well....I have 3 spads and haven't flown any of my balsa stuff since I bult the first 2. Give spads a try and save that 150+ bux you're going to have to spend to get a new wing and fuse for your nexstar. A spad can be built for as little at 10 -15 bux...you already have the expensive parts (motor & radio gear).

[link=http://www.spadtothebone.com]CLICK HERE[/link] to find all the plans you will ever need to build yourself a spad (click on spad originals or beyond spad)

You could also visit the spad section of r/c universe [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/S%25P%25A%25D%25_Aircraft_%2D_Coroplast_design/forumid_178/tt.htm]HERE[/link] for more info on building and flying of them.

Hope that helps,
Madd_Maxx
Old 12-26-2003, 12:52 PM
Rumva

the hobbico superstar is good also..and also kadet40 - the afs system is ok for medium lit days..but if its bright and sunny or near dusk its usless...
i like the windflap idea tho for slow flying to start
Old 12-26-2003, 03:58 PM
raptor5900
My Feedback: (4)

the nexstar does come with a money back thing but for it to work you had to be flying with an instructor.
Old 12-26-2003, 09:11 PM
KINGX

WOW GUYS! HOLD YOUR HORSES! NEVER EVER attempt to fly without getting appropriate tuition from a qualified instructor and DO join the AMA asap! It is naive to get airborn or even start the engine without knowing the basics AND it is even more naive to do so with the expensive Nexstar.ALL boxes from good manufacturers state clearly in red letters that: Model AIRPLANES(!) are NOT toys.
Old 12-26-2003, 11:52 PM
ethrjock

Thanks for the advice all.
No I did not have a buddy box.

I have to say the crash was unfortunate. I felt qualified to fly without a instructor since I had been through several trainers several years back all with a instructor. I did fly the Nexstar sucessfully the day prior.

I severly misjuged the distance the plane was from me and the distance the tree was from me. It was a half hour till sunset so I wonder if the lighting conditions played a part in my eyes. Is there anyway to practice depth percepton so this does not happen again?

I will look closer to the spad. I am a woodworker so building from plans is not foreign to me and I have many tools for the job.

Thanks agian for the positive comments.
Old 12-27-2003, 12:52 AM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like KINGX said, get an instructor. But first get your eyes checked. I already went both of these routes and lost a couple of planes (like the bone head idiot I am!). My depth perception was way off and after a new pair of glasses, things got much better.
Old 12-27-2003, 12:59 AM
tiggerinmk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ethrjock
I severly misjuged the distance the plane was from me and the distance the tree was from me. It was a half hour till sunset so I wonder if the lighting conditions played a part in my eyes. Is there anyway to practice depth percepton so this does not happen again?
Yes, you've learned the hard way! I did the same thing: I had been a member of my local club for some time and was hardly getting any instructor time, so I took matters into my own hands. I reverted to a 3 channel Ripmax Zephyr and flew that at the club on my own even though I hadn't soloed. The other club members commented that I could fly but couldn't be certified solo unless I flew a 'proper' trainer with an instructor. I lost my Superstar 60 to the 'balsa tree' on approach because the instructor was so confident in me he wasn't even looking. I had placed the plane further out as it was larger than the Zephyr I had been flying. After fixing it up I landed it in another tree 50ft a couple of weeks later when I decided to go to the field early and fly on my own. I've learned that the only way to be sure is to ensure that there is plenty of blue stuff between your plane and the green stuff on the downwind leg.

For replacement, the easiest solution would be to get a replacement Nexstar airframe, but depends on a couple of things:
1. Did you like the plane enough to want to continue with it?
2. Do the fuse and wings kits give you a complete airframe, or can you unbolt the tail easily? Considereing the price, you'll want an as good as new airframe when you're done....

You were asking about a MkIII Hobbico. The only MkIII that I know of is the Hobbistar which is a 60 sized plane. From my experience I wouldn't recommend this one.
If you wnat to start afresh with a new plane using your existing radio and engine I'd recommend the SIG LT-40.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:08 AM
tiggerinmk

ORIGINAL: bdtsr
But first get your eyes checked.
On the subject of depth perception, if you can see the plane clearly, ie it's not fuzzy then your eyes are okay. Think about this: your eyes are only a couple of inches apart but the plane is at least a couple of hundred feet away. Depth perception is pretty much a guess over 50ft away.
The advantage an instructor may give you is experience of the field. He will know the correct landing approach to take and where the plane should be placed for each part of the pattern.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:51 AM
ethrjock

1. Did you like the plane enough to want to continue with it?
2. Do the fuse and wings kits give you a complete airframe, or can you unbolt the tail easily? Considereing the price, you'll want an as good as new airframe when you're done....
Thanks for the comments Tigger
1. Yes I do like the plane. It flew quite well. I was looking forward to taking off the "flaps" as they were lifting the plane too much during flights. It took almost all of my elevator trim at the radio to make it fly level.
2. The tail fin and elevator does unbolt and was not damaged in the crash so I will re-use it. The rubber motor mount did break and so did the front landing gear...so add another few bucks and I am up to $140.00
3. I meant the MKII.
4. Is the sig a semi airfoil?

I do wear glasses but I can clearly see the plane....i just misjudged the distance the plane was from me. BDTSR. Did you have to have special lenses cut for the distance problem? My current prescription just deals with my near sightedness...
Old 12-27-2003, 02:20 AM
Banned

I can only restate the need for a proper instructor, on a buddy box, and flying at a field. My instructor knows where the trees are, even when I'm hung-over, my glasses are dirty and I think I'm bulletproof. He saves me lots of money! I know I'd have smashed my trainer already if I hadn't gotten my ego in check and asked for help... - Joe
Old 12-27-2003, 10:59 PM
phread59

I fyou like wood working might I suggest a Tower Trainer kit or something similar. I believe I saw the kit in their latest flyer for under 50$. You just need some covering and glue. I would build a wood trainer from a kit in your situation. Unless the old airframe is trash. Just because it got broken does not mean it is trash. Now that the shock is over take a hard look at the old plane. Chances are that it may be salvageable. Or at least the fuse can be fixed. You mentioned it is only broken in half. That sounds repairable to me. I have fixed all of my Boo-Boo's. If you are not sure find a good builder in your area and ask for some help. Or post questions here. We can help you. I suggest you carefully peel the covering and thourougly inspect the damage then make your decisions. I am wishing you all of the best.

Mark Shuman
Old 12-27-2003, 11:44 PM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still stand behind my statement of getting the eyes checked (what could it hurt?). As far as the Tower trainer, there is a reason it's so cheap, I know, I own one! Yes it flies, yes you can learn on it, but from seeing a NexStar up close, the Tower trainer isn't half the plane. Spend the money on new parts for the NexStar if yours isn't fixable. You won't regret it.
Old 12-28-2003, 12:13 AM
ethrjock

I did as some suggested...took a good look at the plane for repairability. I am pretty sure I can re-join the fuse.

The two sides broke pretty clean so I sat it on my work bench. I drew a center line on the bench for reference and supported the tail with blocks. I have epoxied the sides together. Now the bottom. It was build wiht hardwood strips about 1/4" by 1/4" and covered with 3/16" balsa. Rather flimsy IMHO. I think I should use some thin ply to re build the bottom of the fuse and attach it to the fuse joiner under where the wing bolts on and at the other end where the wing dowel attaches to the fuse. We are only talking about the area under the landing gear and radio compartment. maybe 8" of the fuse is missing at the bottom.

One half of the wing sustained minor damage...3 ribs were broken up but one of the main spars is still attached as is the leading edge spar.

The other half of the wing sustained the most damage. This is the point of impact on the tree. Any suggestions on this? I would have to scab onto the good wood somewhere prior to the damage and rebuild the missing section. Plus I will have to re-develop a wing rib as 4 are destroyed. I have built several kits prior so I have good building experience. This is my first ARF.
Thanks again for the insight.
Old 12-28-2003, 12:58 AM
jdavies300s

sorry to hear about your luck with your trainer. if you want the suggestion of someone who re-learned how to fly not too long ago, get an alpha. my alpha lasted many great flights, until i got bored with it and started hot-dogging and generally doing manuvers the alpha wasn't designed for. but, the alpha taught me how to fly two times now. it is about $300 and it's pretty close to an rtf. just join the wing halves, and assemble the tail, put some gas in her, then call your instructor. i learned both times with an instructor, i imagine this saved me a lot of money. as far as taxiing, i did that without an instructor and my plane was fine. just don't taxi it too fast. alphas come complete with engine/reciever/servos/gas tank already installed. comes with a transmitter too. it's a good deal.

again, sorry to hear about the crash, but hopefully it has prompted you to find a seasoned r/c pilot to show you the ropes and get you set up. a buddy box might seem embarrasing, but it will save you a lot of time and money in the long run.

advice for new fliers, re-read my statement, get an alpha, and an instructor. but most of all, welcome to the wonderful world of flying r/c!!!!
Old 12-28-2003, 01:20 AM
tiggerinmk

ORIGINAL: ethrjock
3. I meant the MKII.
4. Is the sig a semi airfoil?
I do wear glasses but I can clearly see the plane....i just misjudged the distance the plane was from me. BDTSR. Did you have to have special lenses cut for the distance problem? My current prescription just deals with my near sightedness...
The SIG LT-40 has a flat bottom airfoil. The most popular plane with a semi symmetrical airfoil seems to be the Avistar...

I also have glasses for distance vision. I haven't had my eyes checked since my tree incident and have managed to steer clear of trees since. Judging by the number of posts I've seen where people have hit objects on the field, depth perception is a common problem and accidents are avoided only by familiarity of the field and any obstacles
Old 12-28-2003, 06:21 AM
Semi Retired Aviator

I'm having the depth perception problem too. I more often than not end up 30 metres out from where I'm standing rather than about the 10 that I plan to be for final approach. It doesn't seem to matter what I do or how far I take it across base, I always end up way too far out from me. I hit the same tree twice, in exactly the same spot. Fortunately there was little damage each time.

I didn't feel so bad this morning though. Two guys crashed their helicopters; one totalled and the other will fly again with the equivalent of a heart/lung transplant.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but does anybody have any tips on how to overcome this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.