Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Second Airplane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Second Airplane

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2001, 03:19 PM
cassio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second Airplane

I'm learning to fly with an Avistar/40 and I'm thinking soon to buy my second airplane. What woud be the best one? I'd like it had flaps/flaperon(Wold be a good idea? A friend told me that I'd use the flaps few times and never more...!?) and I'd like that it dont costs very much . Can you help me?
Thank you.
Old 12-26-2001, 06:19 PM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

Default Second Airplane

Cassio,

While it does not have flaps, you could configure it for flaperons, any of the SIG 4 Star series is an excellent second plane. Very aerobatic yet lands and takes off easily. I really loved mine until I flew it into a tree one foggy morning

Kent
Old 12-26-2001, 06:43 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Default Second Airplane

Take a look at the Great Planes Easy Sport. They have it an ARF or Kit.

Easy Sport Kit
Old 12-26-2001, 07:02 PM
Mike Bell
My Feedback: (6)

Default Second Airplane

While the easy sport is a great second plane one of my favorite all around planes is the 4* 60.
Great second plane and will do about anything you ask of it.
Will fly slower than many trainers and lands like a kitten.
Right now mine has a set of floats on it.
Easy build too....
If you want an ARF the easy sport, skyvista or the bright star are good second planes.
Old 12-26-2001, 07:38 PM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2nd Airplane

The Hanger 9 Advance 40 seems to be a nice flying airplane, and it looks better in person than it does in the ads. I would also look into a red Great Planes Ultra Sport 40. The covering is a foam backed covering, but it should be a nice 2nd airplane.

There is really quite a few to choose from, but will depend on a few things.

1.) your skill level
2.) your R/C budget
3.) your time
4.) your airplane preferences [what you like]
5.) your learning capabilities
6.) your instructors input/advice

Some people need to go from a high wing trainer to a low wing trainer, while others move right into aerobatic taildraggers. Have your instructor assess your abilities, and give you a recommendation based on what airplanes you like. Nobody will know your abilites better than your instructor, not even you. What you may think you're capable of flying, may actually be different from what your instructor knows your capable of flying.
Old 12-27-2001, 12:25 AM
magnum

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Second Airplane

Cassio,

I agree with Plane Insane. It really depends on what you want. There is no need getting a stick type plane if you really want to move into low wing type plane.

If you want to have flaps or flaperons look into one of the stick type planes. I have the World Models Super Stunts 60, and if you can do basic rolls, loops, land etc..etc.. then you can fly this one. (I firmly believe someone knowledgeable about flight and R/C could use this one as a trainer, but that's just my opinion)

To answer your question the WMSS 60 has flaps, although I modfied them to work just like the H9 Ultra Stick. I use the flaps ALOT!!! With the flaps on, you can take off and go straight vertical in a very short distance (about 2-3 fuselage lengths)..real crowd pleaser. I can also deply the flaps and hover the plane in the air, and bring it in almost straight down. Oh yea, this plane has an 80" WS, so its rather large in the sky for this..

But, this is a slow flyer, might not be what you are looking for.

Also, it would help to know if you are looking for a kit or an ARF.

But do talk to your instructor and see what he says. You might be able to increase the throws on that trainer, change to a faster prop and you have a whole new plane!

Randy
Old 12-28-2001, 01:33 AM
flying2bill
My Feedback: (2)

Default 2nd plane

Here's one from the old school, Goldberg Tiger2, aerobatic, low cost, will fly well on anthing from an FP40 to a FS60, can be modified for flaperons, easy to build and a ball to fly. Gentle and forgiving with burn holes in the sky performance, lands slow and has gentle stall with easy recovery. H9 Advance 40 is very similar in an ARF format. 4* 40 is a good choice also. A properly dialed in Avistar can be as much fun as a 1/4 scale Extra, and wouldn't take much to modify for flaperons.
Old 12-31-2001, 12:18 PM
Fastsky

Default Second Airplane

I would consider looking into a low wing plane. An Avistar is considered a 2nd plane type so there is no point at looking at planes like an Easy Sport or Midstar since they will fly almost the same as the Avistar. For kits I would look at the CG Tiger2. The plane can fly really fast, or really slow, slows way down for landing and is more aerobatic than a 4* with a better landing approach. There are some really good ARF's out there now also. The World Models Rambler 45, C. Goldberg Tiger2, H9 Advanced 40. I listed the WM ambler 45 first because it is reported to actuallly fly better than both the Tiger2 and the Advanced. The price is also the same and the model has built in retracts. I wouldn't get hung up on looking for a model that has flaps on it. The extra speed and responsive time of a low wing will give you enough to do without having to worry about flaps as well. Any plane that actually needs flaps to slow down enough to land will be a heavy plane and probably be too much for you for a second plane any way. My 60 sized Warbird doesn't have flaps or need them. Hope this helps, Fast!
Old 12-31-2001, 12:49 PM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

Default Sig 4 * line

I second, or, was it third the Sig, Four Star line..It is hard to go wrong with this model of any size..It is not an ARF, but not at all difficult to build.. My 2 cents..Brian
Old 01-02-2002, 05:06 AM
Profile Pilot

Default Second Airplane

My second plane was a Hangar 9 Super Stick 40. Great performer, lots of fun. My daughter is learning to fly, and has already claimed it as hers! When she takes it, I will probably replace it with the Ultra Stick 40 just because I like so much.
Old 01-02-2002, 05:14 PM
Jaguar-RCU

Default consider the GP supersportster

You might consider the SS...I think its a beauty. The kit was great, but I think its also available as ARF....You would probably want to use two aileron servos so to allow flapperon functionality.
Old 01-05-2002, 04:12 PM
Dave Barrow-RCU

Default Second Airplane

The great Planes Super Sportster 40 would also be a good candidate. It is available as a kit or Arf.
Old 01-06-2002, 04:58 PM
rcav8or
My Feedback: (5)

Default Second Airplane

Another vote here for the Sig Four Star .40 or .60 (I would go with the .60).

Laser cut, keyed assembly (almost can't build it crooked, quick assembly (did one start to finish in 9 days), and a great kit to learn on.

Flying is spectacular! Many have competed in the lower pattern classes with a 4*, and lands like a lamb...

Get with other flyers around you, get all the opinions you can, and go with what you think you can handle, both in building and in flying...it's especially nice if you can see other's flying their planes of the same model...

TO: Profile Pilot...

I considered the Ultra Stick .40, called my buddies at Horizon, found out they all hung up the Ultra Stick .40, when the Pizazz came. I bought the Pizazz instead - WOW!!! What a great kit, plane, flyer - you name it! I have seen one with an MDS .58, plenty of power, and I have an OS .70 Surpass on mine, vertical is great, does EVERYTHING in the book. Use flaperon mix on it though!

DISCLAIMER - The Pizazz is NOT good 2nd plane - maybe a 3rd or 4th...
Old 01-09-2002, 02:17 AM
Kitbasher

Default Second Airplane

I built a Mid-star 40 as my second plane . I like it well and have kept it in mint condition . It is a lot ligther than a Easy Sport ,but is more fragile. I'm sure it now has 150 or more flights now .I am about to start on plane 14 now. I all so have a 4 * 40 Great plane either one is great .
Old 01-09-2002, 05:52 PM
BingoFlyer

Default 2nd Plane

Cassio

Although nether of these planes are still available as a kit they are both very easy to build from plans available from RCM.

They are the "4-60" and my favorite, as my user name implies, the "Bingo" both of these plane were at one time kitted by Ace and may still be available.

The Bingo is a low wing version of the 4-60 and I fly mine with an OS-91 Surpass, it is an easy flyer and yet able to do many manuvers that a trainer will not. I have trained several flyers on my 4-60 and two on my Bingo.

I am now building another Bingo (dumb thums) and may build two so as to take one north to Michigan for the summer.
Old 01-09-2002, 08:27 PM
Ron50Flys
My Feedback: (2)

Default second airplane

Just flying second year..too some of the above adviseand got an advance40....MISTAKE.....Then I got a Ultra Stick 40!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and put all the flaps, etc in with fataba 8U and WOOWW> was JUST Great...a friend only had a 4 channel and didn't install flaps and is still flying his....but I got too smart with mine and now I have another one on the way.....Believe me the Ultra Stick 40 is the one for U... Good luck and may all landings be Wheels First!
Old 01-10-2002, 02:42 AM
dwsc
My Feedback: (81)

Default 4 star

my second plane was a 4 star 60 with a 91 os 4 stroke, great flying plane, but sadly no longer with us, due to a pushrod failure but that's onother story with my ability to solder effectivley, I have also built a 120 size with a saito 180 very fun plane to fly, better than the edge 540 witha 180

my oppinion

doug
Old 01-10-2002, 03:58 AM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

Default Sweet and Low

Start on it yet Doug?? Let me know how you like it..If it has a full set of plans, I would consider buying them if you don't care about saving them..Brian
Old 01-10-2002, 03:04 PM
dwsc
My Feedback: (81)

Default sweet and low

I haven't had the time yet Iam hoping to later in the spring, I am trying to figure out what to use for power a quadra 52 or a g45
Old 01-11-2002, 07:45 PM
hyperbatix
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2nd plane

If you want flaps and ailerons I think the perfect 2nd airplane would be an Ultra Stick. They are a blast to fly and alot of fun playing with the flaps. They will slow down if you need to but will also open up to be wild when you are ready. Withe a small headwind and the use of those flaps you can fly it backwards! It will take you from trainer to advanced flying. Best of all, the ARF is relatively inexpensive and it is available in a 40 size and 60 size!

KEvIN
Old 01-11-2002, 10:12 PM
magnum

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Second Airplane

aerobatix,

They are fun! Landing backwards is still a little tricky though!

A lot of people worry about a new user using flaps, fumbling for the switch etc.. The only thing I can see, is I think they might should try that with the neck strap on.

I have small hands, and I have to use a brace to hold the radio so I don't drop it when I use the switches.

Just a thought...
Old 01-12-2002, 12:26 AM
hyperbatix
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default neckstrap

I think a neckstrap is a great idea! I use one and it makes it much easier to flip the switches and easier to hold the sticks with forefingers and thumbs which I'm finally getting the hang of. The good thing about that plane is that it can be flown with or without flaps. They are purely for entertainment!

Cheers!
Old 01-12-2002, 06:35 AM
rcav8or
My Feedback: (5)

Default Second Airplane

Flying since 1988, there are three things I have found that have GREATLY improved my flying...

Flying fingers and thumbs, instead of thumbs only - much better control, more precise flying.

Using a tray - no worries about holding the transmitter, or dropping it, especially when reaching for D/R, gear, idle down switches.

A good flight simulator

Just my nickels worth...
Old 01-13-2002, 03:39 PM
Chris 540
My Feedback: (3)

Default Second Airplane

I have to recommend the Sig 4 star also. Great flying plane that lands beautifully.
Old 01-14-2002, 09:34 PM
the crow
My Feedback: (1)

Default 2nd plane

I 2nd the Ultra Stik 40 choice. it was my 2nd plane after the RCM Trainer 40. I love the Ultra Stik, especially playing with the flaps. I like diving/landing from 500 ft and flaring at aroung 5-6 ft for a smooth landing. Or I just fly at walking pace in the runway with the crow function. A crowd pleaser. I put a Saito 72 and have almost unlimited vertical.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.