Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Sig Kadet Senior Build

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Sig Kadet Senior Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 12:53 PM
jmneissa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Kadet Senior Build

Hi My name is matt and i have just bought a new senior plane I have built many boats and cars but this is my first plane so i will probabley need a lot of help along the way so please post when you can.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:40 PM
hhhhhhhhh
Banned

Default RE: Sig Kadet Senior Build

what do u need help with?
Old 10-17-2005, 02:56 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to the forum jm and congratulations on selecting the trainer with the most successful track record in helping new pilots successfully (key word here) earn their wings for the last thirty five years. If you have the kit version as opposed to the ARF version (your post is not clear on that) then it also an exceptional learning tool to the joys of building also.

Just post with any problems and you will get all the help you can use.

John[8D]
Old 10-17-2005, 03:00 PM
iflynething

Oh man, I would have sold you my Kadet Senior that's already build. I have flown one of these and they are EXTREMELY easy flying planes. Like I said, I have one but am trying to seel it because it's just not my kind of plane (I fly 3D and helicopters).

That's why RCU is here for is to help poeple like you who need the help when building anything and need others.

Hope everything goes well!

If you need anything, RCU is here!

~Michael~
Old 10-17-2005, 04:16 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bring it on JM. We'll do what we can for you.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:29 PM
iflynething

It's always great to see someone else getting into this great hobby. I know me and bruce88123 have helped kiswa with his Somethin' Extra build and other's should join this thread to help you out with whatever you need help with, like I said, that's what we're here for!

~Michael~
Old 10-17-2005, 04:30 PM
bruce88123

A little research finds jmneissa on the Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft forum planning on building a B-17 and claiming to have a couple of builds behind him. I am getting confused.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_34...tm.htm#3464080
[sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif]
Old 10-17-2005, 04:36 PM
iflynething

Hey, now I'm confused bruce, that link opens up to this same thread. I'm confused now.

~Michael~
Old 10-17-2005, 04:52 PM
bruce88123

Trying to correct.

Can't get it to work right for some reason.
Look at: B-17 project thread, post #100. Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft forum
Old 10-17-2005, 06:39 PM
iflynething

Hmmm...Well, that was posted was before this thread was started, it was 8/18/05 and this was started 10/17/05.

Have you built some planes, but this is just YOUR first plane that you're going to fly?

~Michael~
Old 10-17-2005, 07:22 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_29...mpage_5/tm.htm
This should be the link to my B-17 thread. Jmneissa, could you please explain?

Woops
Old 10-17-2005, 08:54 PM
iflynething

"Believe only half of what you see and none of what you hear."

~Michael~
Old 10-18-2005, 07:50 AM
iacolb12

Well to his defense, in the B-17 forum he says he and his friend worked on a couple of planes and cut pieces by hand.

He states in this thread that this is his first plane. He hasn't said he has no experience building.

To me I can't sit here and add that up to master-builder playing a hoax on us all.

Maybe the McCarthyism should be set aside for now.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:03 AM
bruce88123

I only said I was confused by the disparity of statements, and I am. I fully agree that it is now his turn to respond. If he need help with a build, I continue to be willing to attempt to assist.

Let's just wait until we get a reply from him guys and otherwise let this thread rest for a while.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:55 AM
iflynething

EDIT: Well, let's just get everything cleared up before going any further.

You know jmneiss we will help you no matter what. Come back so we can know something, you havne't posted.

What setup are you going to us in this plane: Engine, servos?

~Michael~
Old 10-18-2005, 11:53 PM
jobraer

Hello everyone,
Not sure if the original person that started this thread has built a plane or not, but what i am sure of is that i myself have bought a sig kadet senior which i plan on starting the build tomorrow or the next day. And unlike the original post i have no experience in building a kit from a box of sticks so this will be a first for me. i have built a plane from scratch though, a biplane version of what i would call a stick. but i had no printed plans for that. used my noggin for the most part but i had pretty good success with it. but i digress.
on this kadet i have read so many threads with so much conflicting comments on how to do the taildragger and aileron conversions are their any !QUOT!very!QUOT! detailed posts on how to do them? preferably ones with lots of pictures and possible measurements?
can you guys help me out with this? the reason i chose the kadet stick build was to better understand what it takes to build a plane. plus the shear size of it !QUOT!BIG!QUOT! and the fact that mod'ing it looks fairly simple. i want to scale this plane up a bit like a new cowling. better landing gear. pants etc. and also i have heard of just about size engine being slapped on the front of this plane that you can imagine. but was considering a .60 of some sort. is this too much?

Just a few thoughts from a new builder to be, new to the forum, and fairly new to the hobby!

J.T.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:44 AM
JohnBuckner

Nice choice JT. All the Sig construction manuals are quite good and easy to learn from, my suggestion would be to follow it carefully without to many mods like the cowling but thats your choice. My first question would be is this your first trainer or do you already have some flying experiance.

A sixty two stroke is an excellent choice for this airplane with plenty of power reserve but not to excess either. Its actually one of the more popular size engines to use with this airplane.

John
Old 10-19-2005, 11:00 AM
jobraer

i do have some flying experience i started with an old duraplane .40 trainer years ago. they don't handle all that great so i didn't fly it much. but lately i purchased an ultrafly outrage electric 3d biplane and have been flying it for a few months now, although i don't do much 3d with it its a blast as a small foam sport plane. but since i have been going to the local flying field hardly anyone is running electric setups. so not one to be left out i thought it was about time to get back into a glow plane, i wanted a large easy to fly model and the owner of our local shop had a stick built kadet senior on display and after hearing his comments on its flight characteristics and the impressive size i thought " i gotta get one of theses. lol!" and so starts the saga of learning to build. but i believe it will all be worth it. i will post some more questions I'm sure on the build of this plane. and thanks on your input about the engine John. all information i can get or find about this model and setups is always greatly appreciated.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:23 AM
bruce88123

Any time you have questions, bring them on. We'll have answers, some will even be correct. Actually most. You will have to sift thru the chaff but that shouldn't be too hard. Take your time on the assembly and you should be fine. As John said, SIG does great kits/instructions.

I personally recommend a good wood glue (Tite Bond II, Elmers) for the majority of the assembly but if you do choose the CA route please make sure to avoid breathing the fumes or getting them in your eyes. A fan drawing the fumes away is a good way to go
Old 10-19-2005, 11:42 AM
JohnBuckner

Great JT. Now you spoke of a taildragger conversion and this also works well on the Senior. In fact a TD Senior is a lot less tramatic than many other TD's. I am currently working with an older gentleman who has had a tough time with some modern trainers at other fields so I connected him up with a local builder who whipped him out a TD Senior and an OS .61fx, by the way this engine purrs like a kitten on that airplane. With this taildragger he is now progressing very nicely much better than his last trainer when he had completely hit a standstill.

The conversion is actually very simple during the build. It involves adding with epoxy a plywood plate inside the floor and the front edge even with the verticals that form station where the front of the wing is. This plate should be long enough that the back edge will reach the next set of verticals in the fuselage. Cut and epoxy some ply gussets at each of the four verticals so this will carry some of the loads of the ply plate up the verticals. Then it a simple matter to find an aluminum or glass gear to bolt on the bottom and through the ply plate.

The tailwheel is a little tougher and there are a number of ways but my favorite is adding a second pushrod for the tailwheel. This actually easy to do on that airplane because there is plenty of room. You would make the rudder pushrod as per plan exiting above the stabilizer. now you make a second pushrod that attaches the servo horn on the opposite side of the servo. This second rod is run under the stabilizer near the elevator rod but it exits the fuselage on the opposite side of the rudder pushrod. Agine a plywood plate is epoxied in place at the bottom rear of the fuselage. Now a tailwheel bracket (Dubro or others) is screwed on the bottom and the tiller bar instead of being bent back to insert in the rudder itself is bent to the side and this is where the pushrod will attach. You can flatten the end and drill for a clevis or you make the tailwheel wire itself out of 4/40 threaded rod with the threaded portion as the tiller and use a plastic threated rod clevis/bushing. The big advantage of the second pushrod is the tailwheel can be fine tuned for less throw than the rudder and beleve me this is a hugh advantage especially when your learning.

John

Old 10-19-2005, 12:11 PM
iflynething

The instructions are great. Even though, I didn't build the one that I have, I have looked through the instructions and they seem very, very clear.

Wonder where jmneissa is at? I'm ready for another build to begin by him.

~Michael~
Old 10-19-2005, 12:18 PM
jobraer

well as you can probably figure out by now i am full of questions. one of which is are their any way to post pics of the build and or conversions? as they say a picture is worth a thousand words especially to me as a learning aid. actually seeing it will go a long way for me to better understanding the converisions. i am slated to begin tomorrow morning on it but working second shift sometimes get in the way, you know having to quit a project to have to go to work kinda puts a downer on things on a daily basis. but i'll take it one day at a time though, i dont intend on flying it this season but i do want to be ready for next year, as i want it to be right the first time. also i did notice that there doesnt seem to be a way to remove the fuel tank once constructed. should anything happen such as maybe the clunk coming lose or maybe even getting something in the fuel tank, are there any mods the make an access panel to remove th tank should the need arise?... not that i have ever heard of either senario. just courius.
And as always thanks again.
J.T.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:59 PM
bruce88123

This is more confusing. jmneissa had not logged on in 2 days but his profile page has changed.
He had a B-17 picture on it yesterday that is gone today.
He also states:
- 1 years building
- 1 years operating
- Intermediate pilot

I just don't know. [sm=confused.gif]
Old 10-19-2005, 01:34 PM
2slow2matter

There are several weird things happening around here lately. This guy, the "no thanks" guy, and Luke.
Maybe all three are Chad reincarnated
Old 10-19-2005, 02:11 PM
bruce88123

As I stated before, Luke has been verified as not being Chad. Chad is "special" and we were supposed to allow for him because he was only 15. It got old and he didn't so he isn't around right now. Has been rather nice, hasn't it? OK, enough being mean spirited.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.