Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Who has taught themself?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Who has taught themself?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 02:55 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Who has taught themself?

I am among the ranks of the self-learned. I'm also one of those methodical, nitpicky types. I think many years of fiddling with r/c cars helped too.

I had a lesson or two when I was around nine on my father's telemaster--buddy boxes weren't invented yet. I tried again with a two channel glider in high school, and got to the point that I could control the plane the 45 seconds I could keep it in the air off a high start.

Then, a few years out of college, I was flipping through one of my father's AMA mags while visiting and saw ads for the (then)new GWS tiger moth and pico cub. I picked up the cub, my friend bought the tiger moth, and we decided the instructions in the box were enough to get us flying. Somehow, we both learned to fly those flitty little things in a dimly lit parking lot...at night...in the dead of winter.

In retrospect, it's like we were TRYING to stack the odds against our successfully learning to fly Anyway, after learning to fly that cub, I put together a Kadet LT-25 and rejoined the club. I let the instructor maiden the plane for me, but after trimming it out, he handed me the transmitter and walked away after watching me fly for a minute. That was about 5~6 years ago and I've been advancing my skills ever since.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:16 AM
JDV500

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my first plane and flight were in the same day , 2 1/2 months ago, this past september. i bought a hangar 9 pulse xt pnp, a compatible radio set and the general field equipment under the cautious recommendation of the store owner. i flew it 2 laps around the field and then i found some powerlines that ended my day, but that fueled my desire for more. that was 7 active ready planes and 3 sim programs ago.. flying great now adays with regards to all facets of the hobby. tuning a new 4 stroke now and flying in high rate, all the while grabbing info everywhere i go to add to what i figure out myself. windows century of flight before that. 22 yrs of army aviation before that.
initially, flying helicopters on the stores simulator, spawned my drive to cross into fixed wing in a hurry. have'nt looked back yet. but, getting better on the heli sims when time allows.

thanks,
Old 11-13-2007, 02:04 PM
dignlivn

I did on rotary wing, but I also paid for it.

I'm building an Elec. Cub now after being out
of the hobby for 22 years. I will join a club
and get an Instructor for learning on any
fixed wing.

Bob

dignlivn
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66966.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	803205  
Old 11-13-2007, 02:16 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

Self taught forum user.

Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.
What do they say,

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards. "

Very applicable here.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:51 PM
djcmeeks
My Feedback: (11)

Self Taught. Borrowed Real Flight G3 from a friend for a month. Then got eager and bought a cheap 4 channel RTF foamie (Hobbico Cessna 182). Probably not the best plane to start with but definately taught me how to really control and handle a plane real fast.

2nd plane about a month later was a GP Lancair ES EP. Again very aggressive second plane for me. But I learned how to land hand and do many basic acrobatics with the brushless setup.

Now have two 60+" glows (Shoestring and Lanier Ultimate Biplane)

It is definately possible to learn on your own, but I would have much rather had some coaching during my learning experience. Some people just have a little more natural ablility than others.

I have close to a year of flying experience now and I am currently training a friend of mine on a NexStar with a buddy box.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:01 PM
flaminheli

Taught myself to fly over 20 years ago with a foam cessna w/ an Enya .15 that my dad gave me. Now that I want to teach my son to fly I have been looking at the Nexstar. djcmeeks, how is the nexstar working out for your friend?
Old 11-14-2007, 02:24 PM
djcmeeks
My Feedback: (11)

flaminheli,

So far so good. The plane has been doing very well. It is very stable and is hard to stall. I have seen another guy at the field with one. His plane has taken quite a beating but still runs well. Since I have been on a buddy box with my friend, his plane has yet to see any abuse, but I know it will take it once he starts attempting landings.

Two things I noticed.

1. I personally don't like the AFS(Active Flight Stabilization) system. To an experienced pilot it feels like the plane is fighting you over control. If a beginer were to fly the plane solo, I can see how this would be of great help if they got in trouble. However, on a buddy box system, that is what I am there for. So we just disconnected the AFS all-together.

2. The .46 os engine provides great power on this plane, but we have run into problems with running the recommended 10% fuel. There is another guy at my field who had the same problem. So we are both running 15% and everything runs great.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:22 PM
fozjared

yeah the 15% will help any engine here in the south where it is eternally muggy and hot even now in the middle of november it is in the 80's here in tx. so 15% all the way!
Old 11-15-2007, 08:59 AM
kid chuckles

I also am self taught. I did however fly the plane around experienced flyers. It was a Super Cub and I started in Dec. 06. I then tried various other Elec. planes such as the mini Edge. Had a deal at LHS 480 bruchless and plane for 89.00. Crashed it fairly quick got another plane and did the same. Got another and still did the same. Decided I was pretty good then so I got a Stick with a .60 and alot of wing. Flew it fine from takeoff to landing. But flying the Super Cub so much i did not have alot of rudder exp., and hit a fence after a beautiful landing just turned wrong way. Repaired it and in two days was flying it once again and have not crashed it since. I know in i guess 11mnths. have several gas planes from the Stick to a Sundowner and also areobatic type such as a Frenzy. I also have several Elec. that i fly and have become pretty fair in that i can get them back on the ground even in a pretty good crosswind. If you do teach yourself the Super Cub is very easy to learn on in that a hot glue gun and some foam safe CA and you can fix it in just a matter of min. usually. Then go to a big wing something. If you to gas or elec. just make sure it has wide long higer up on the fuse wings. Probabaly top wings if at all possible. Then just take your time and practice practice practice. Landing is the hardest thing. So takeoff come around and land ALOT. The actual flying part high up is not near what landing is. lol. Good luck and try to take your time. Make sure your plane is right everytime. Check it out good after every flight this is a little time consuming but making sure your servo rod is not falling out, or your motor is loose, or even a wheel nut not loose will save you alot in the long run. AND HAVE FUN. Oh and get ready to spend some bucks learning lol. It is addicting and expensive learning. Everyone I have met that flys anything has had a crash and destroyed planes. So be aware that this can happen. But again GOOD LUCK to those that go it alone. AND a simulator is well worth the money. Kids love them also. My 10yr. old grandson played on mine I bought him a Super Cub also and first time out he flew it from takeoff to landing 5 different times (his still looks new) KIDS lol.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:03 PM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

This is cool guys. I guese i am not alone.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:00 AM
Davyo

i taught myself by taking apart an air powered air-hog then adding servos......short flying time but it worked
Old 11-16-2007, 03:00 PM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

Thats pretty darn cool. How did i fly with the extra weight? I remember getting some pretty long flights on my old airhogs. Like 2-3 minutes. They were alot of fun but I lost most of them as the were unsterable
Old 11-16-2007, 03:28 PM
Davyo

i used micro servos and increased the prop also added a mini engine [from those fans you get in a dollar store] to add a little kick when landing,the body was made of sanded insulation foam although it had lots of stall in flight later on, i started to look into making a better air powered engine but, i gave up on it and bought an ARF.

now im trying to build a plane from scratch with a $.99 motor i got off my friend [pretty strong one too.] after i accomplish that im going to put a website of how to make a plane from scratch [with household materials]