Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Gas powered trainer

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Gas powered trainer

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 01:59 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gas powered trainer

Is there any kit, ARF, or RTF that can run off of a gasoline (not nitro) engine? We're talking about like a second plane for someone.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:00 AM
Missileman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gas powered trainer

The Zenoah G20 gas engine is designed for 60 size planes so I would imagine it will work in larger trainers.
That aside there is a 12' wingspan Telemaster that will hold a 25cc or so gasser.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/telemaster12.htm
Old 01-03-2008, 03:51 AM
tIANci

sheograth - try something like the World Model Super Sport Senior, she is big and will happily take the G20, its docile enough for someone as a second plane. I am not an advocate for 60 sized planes with a G20, the wing loading goes up quite a bit. Seen it done on some planes like the Dragon Lady ... they get pretty heavy as the engine is heavier and then you need bigger ignition battries and maybe bigger RX batts to balance her.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Art Cloutier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When flying with the gang at Brazoria Field in Texas I flew a 25cc powered Sig Four Star in the 120 size; it had about 14 lbs thrust and weighed about 14 lbs. That gave enough vertical for basic aerobatics and the handling characteristics of the plane were pretty good. Ever tried to do a roll with an eight foot Telemaster? Yikes!! The Four Star is far better than any of the high wing offerings when it comes to basic aerobatics.
I am currently designing and building an 80 inch version of my design, "Duette". With the 26 cc SPE I am expecting it to do basic aerobatics very well and to serve as a basic flight school trainer.
When teaching new flyers, I have found that the same flying characteristis of a good aerobatic airplane are a help to students in learning to fly. The typical trainer is full of problems like adverse yaw, control coupling, and too much stability. A low wing like the Four Star is probably a better choice for basic training than the typical high wing trainer. Art Cloutier
Old 01-04-2008, 02:37 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't know how big you want to go, but if you can find a Bud Nosen trainer kit, get it and build it. It looks like your typical high wing, box fuselage tricycle gear trainer, roughly the shape of a Cessna 172. The wing is held on with 4 nylon bolts, and I think that it was originally designed to fly on a .90 2-stroke, but it is plenty big enough for a gas engine.

I "inherited" one from an older gent in my club who sold me a US-41. He had built it 20-odd years ago and it needed some TLC. I converted it to a taildragger and put the US-41 on it (plane weighs 22 pounds, paint and repairs fattened it up). It flies as easy as any .40 size trainer, although it doesn't float as much, and does very quick rolls in spite of its 96 inch wingspan, nice loops, stall turns, etc. Takes off in about 80 feet and lands and stops in less than that. Mine has strip ailerons, but if I ever have to fix the wing, will make barn doors and add flaps. You can see a pic of it in my gallery.

The other plane I'd highly recommend for gas, and has VERY docile characteristics but is capable of a lot more than appears, is the big Sig Rascal 110 ARF. A G-26 will fly it to the moon. I had a .40 -size once, loved it, and then had an opportunity to fly a 110 at a fly-in. It was as easy to fly as the .40 size, and its owner could hover it, do rolling circles, Harriers, it was surprising what the plane would do.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:46 PM
ChuckW

Hangar-9 1/4 scale Cub flys well with a gas engine and could probably be a second plane. If the pilot isn't ready yet though, mistakes could get expensive.

Some people also say the GP Super Sportster makes a good second plane. Tower Hobbies has a decent deal on the giant sized version with a gas engine.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Telemaster kit or a Giant Stik ARF. Also the Doghouse kit and RoadRunner kit (if still available) would be great second planes in a gas engine.

Get someone who flies gas to help you with the initial engine install and first flight. They are different. The whole concept of a kill switch goes beyond glow engine installations. You also want to dampen a glow engine from vibration as much as possible but not a gas engine. Bolt it right to the well reenforced firewall. Keep the servos and receiver at least 10" behind the engine and don't use a metal throttle rod.

Other than that, go for it. Gas is actually much easier and much, much cheaper to fly after the initial investments. It's a shame the large PT-19 and Fly Baby kits have disappeared. Perfect second planes.