Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Need some help

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 08:34 AM
CrT-RaCeR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help

I have been out of RC planes for about 6 months after my recent plane (similar to a 4* but was home made) crashed due to a fried elevator servo. This was my seconf plane, my first was a hangar 9 p-51 mustang PTS which i got a lot of fun out of, and i loved that plane. I also liked this home made plane as well. When the home made plane crashed, the engine was salvageable (OS .55) it had several fins on the block broken off, and a broken carb linkage on the side of the carb. I replaced that carb linkage and ran it on a table, and it ran fine (no bent crank, from what i can tell) so i plan to use that engine for my next plane. The electronics were no good after the crash, everything else was not salvageable.

So my question is what would be the next plane to get? I have an engine (OS .55) and i have a radio (dx6i). I dont know what receiver i should get for that radio because i used it for my blade 400 heli. I also dont have a clue what servos to get either, the 2 planes i bought had servos already in them. I am eyeing the hangar 9 pulse 40 and the SIG 4 star 40, would these planes handle the .55? If any of you could help out it would be appreciated
Old 01-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need some help

The 55 will fit most any of the .40 size ARFs out there. If you want a real screamer, the SIG Somethin' Extra is a fine ARF, or kit if you want to try your hand at building.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:32 AM
CrT-RaCeR

Will that plane do both 3D (not too extreme) and just regular flying, loops, rolls, loops, ect by turning the servo throws down? Looks like a great plane, something i like.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Deadeye

ORIGINAL: CrT-RaCeR

Will that plane do both 3D (not too extreme) and just regular flying, loops, rolls, loops, ect by turning the servo throws down? Looks like a great plane, something i like.
If propped right it should do some 3D. I have a Saito 82 shoehorned in both of my SSE's. Swing a 15X4 prop.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57347.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	1105520  
Old 01-07-2009, 10:44 AM
CrT-RaCeR

ORIGINAL: Deadeye

ORIGINAL: CrT-RaCeR

If propped right it should do some 3D. I have a Saito 82 shoehorned in both of my SSE's. Swing a 15X4 prop.
Thats exactly what im looking for, the most 3D i plan to do is hover, waterfalls and just flying slow upside down, i forgot what thats called. Will the OS .55 swing a 15 inch prop?
Old 01-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Deadeye

It should. I have an OS .46 that swings a 14X4 APC.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:54 PM
CrT-RaCeR

What about the electronics? servos and a receiver thats compatible with my dx6i
Old 01-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Deadeye

I can't comment much on the radio, but I do beleive the dx6i is a park flyer only type of radio. Meaning, it doesn't have the range for our bigger nitro planes. Maybe somebody else will chime in.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:20 PM
cold_reboot
My Feedback: (20)

Just buy another Spektrum receiver...like the AR6200... bind it to your Radio. If you want to get into 3D type flying, get a couple of digital servo's, they tend to have faster transits and are more precise than analogs, like the Spektrum/JR 821's ($29.99)...Hitec servo's will also work fine with the Spektrum system and are usually a few dollars cheaper than the Spektrums

Edit: The DX6i is a full range radio
Old 01-07-2009, 04:47 PM
glowhead

Somthing extra is perfect but the ARF version is a better flier then the kit, it is much lighter. I owned both. I can do crazy things with my ARF, it has an OS .46. I run a 12x6 prop. Use an apc, they are great. It lands slow, can fly very slow and looks great.