Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Do you remember your 1st Crash?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Do you remember your 1st Crash?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 06:35 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Do you remember your 1st Crash?

ORIGINAL: overbored77

Dick,
It's legal for pattern. thats all I have to say

Now that I think about it, you augered it into the ground and thats how it became mine. Steve didn't want to fix it.
Difference was the radio was to balme for you crashing it. the radio I had in it was brand new.
Well, it was aFutaba.. oops.... just kidding, of course!!!

He still flys it, doesn he!! Good gosh.. that thing is resilient!!!

Dick.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:47 PM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shure do, I had a Tower Trainer 60 and pretty much awgered it into the ground and only thing left was the tail fethers.Winth my Seagull Edge 540 I was in a very tight loop and the ground jumped up and got it. Here what I did with the remains.
NEDYOB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78782.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	1216532  
Old 06-11-2009, 06:49 PM
tony0707

hi  funny thing after reading all of the above  -in 20 years of flying -  i have done most of the things posted-  at one time or another  -i never consider it a loss if the plane can be repaired-  i still have my third plane -a 40  size  MIDWEST  stik after 20 years -and still like how it flys-you already read my first flight store a few posts before this one - MEMMORIES_MEMMORIES
Old 06-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Warbird Joe

Unfortunately, yes I do. I just got cleared training and was on my own for the first time. I was taxing down the runway and a strong crosswind caught me and pushed me to the right side of the runway and I caught the grass. I tried to pull the plane up and the right wing dipped and grabbed the grass and tore the plane apart.

Lesson learned when taxing: When taxing and trouble pops up. CUTTHETHROTTLE.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:16 PM
tymtofly2

When I was 14yrs old, my uncle gave me two rc planes. They were both .25 size low wing planes. One of them had snoopy (the redbaron) as the pilot. Well I decided to give it a shot at the local baseball field. I fired her up, took off, and flew for a few minutes. I started to do some loops. Bad idea! Let's just say I got the plane confused with a shovel. The force was so great, it snapped poor snoopy's head off. The other plane ended up in the side of the high school. The moral of this is, "learn to fly before you fly"........Or not.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:57 AM
Korps

Oh yes I do...it wasn't too long ago. Too cut it short - I came in for a landing and a huge ass tree jumped right infront of me . Today I can laugh about it since the plane has been fixed. The story of how it all happened - I posted it in the Crash and Build - "The tree jumped!".
Old 06-12-2009, 01:33 AM
Gooseman240

wow, just wow some of these stories are just amazing.

<knock on wood> Ihave been extremly lucky,

Nextstar:
First flight hung the plane in a tree about 40 feet up, thank goodness for the speed brakes for slow flight, and quick thinking Ikilled the throttle. 1 2-3 inch hole in the right lower wing. I had a couple of stalled touch and goes but managaged to keep my cool and bounce the plane hard on all 3 wheels.

Time for a new covering job, thinking about taking the dehidral out of the wing, and making it a tail dragger, of course the sun sensor has got to go!!!! (never used it)

(self taught flyer here)
Old 06-12-2009, 02:11 AM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol puta quickee 500through the back window of a parked van!!!!!!! hillarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!! got away with it too!
nah it almost hit me in the head when it dissappeared from the sky and obliterated itself 5 feet away at 110 mph.....
Old 06-12-2009, 08:32 AM
Rforce1

In 9 years of flying, I've had two.  First one was my trainer, a Royal Air 40t.  I had been flying it for a while, and was ready to move up to something a little more advanced.  As I was lnading, it nosed over and ripped the firewall out of the plane.  It's fixed and still flys to this day.

Last crash was my Hanger 9 Cap232.  Comming in for a landing, got a lttle bounce and the main landin gear just let go ripping right out. 

I"m doing pretty good with my crash to flight raitio, I swear it seems like there are some guys at the club who crash once a month. 
Old 06-12-2009, 08:36 AM
speedy72vega

My first crash was an old .40 trainer, on it's maiden flight. Being a newbie at the time, and self taught, there were many things that I didn't think about ahead of time. The most important thing being to recharge the rx battery after a day of taxiing and adjusting.
I went out by myself to a construction site to fly, using a crappy old Cirrus AM radio that I got REAL cheap with the plane. Took her down the runway (road through the field), and she lifted off nicely. I started a gentle left bank to circle around, and the radio lost contact at about 50-60' out. The plane stayed in that nice gentle bank until it wing tipped the ground and cartwheeled into splinters.
I always make sure to charge the rx battery the night before every flight, just to be sure. 
Old 06-12-2009, 12:13 PM
canfieldnosedive

My first wreck was with a p-51 PTS,  I was still on the buddy box and practicing landings.  I was coming in low and slow when I started drifting off the runway (crosswind).  My instructors buddy box was pinned at full throttle for instant recovery power.  Only thing was the low speed was out of adjustment and the motor quit as he pulled up and out.  Plane went about 15 feet up dropped it's nose straight into the ground breaking the wing bolts and prop.  after a quick inspection.  15 mninutes and a New prop and wing bolts later we were back in the air.  Still flying that plane today and love it.  Can't believe how tough those things are.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Commander_Drake
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: speedy72vega

My first crash was an old .40 trainer, on it's maiden flight. Being a newbie at the time, and self taught, there were many things that I didn't think about ahead of time. The most important thing being to recharge the rx battery after a day of taxiing and adjusting.
I went out by myself to a construction site to fly, using a crappy old Cirrus AM radio that I got REAL cheap with the plane. Took her down the runway (road through the field), and she lifted off nicely. I started a gentle left bank to circle around, and the radio lost contact at about 50-60' out. The plane stayed in that nice gentle bank until it wing tipped the ground and cartwheeled into splinters.
I always make sure to charge therx battery the night before every flight, just to be sure.
My story is almost identical to this except that I was lucky and the plane was repairable. I joined a club before I tried to fly again. The radio was a Heathkit that I built myself.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:43 PM
dsr71
My Feedback: (171)

yes i remember mine the instructor said we had radio failure but the funny thing is that my second first plane still has the same radio gear in it 15 years later i think the radio failure was the intructors finger on the trainer switch ,as for the rest of the crashed planes i would just like to forget
Old 06-12-2009, 01:02 PM
skysfallin
My Feedback: (10)

After I learned on my Nexstar I thought my next plane should be a Big Stick 60. After getting the rythym of the new plane on the maiden flight it flew so good and gave me all the confidence I needed to try a snap roll about 15 feet off the ground. See picture, nuff said. I did by another on and did the same thing only a little higher, I was able to fix that one. Your first crash is devistating, but a guy at the club summed it up for me. He said all planes have an expiration date, you just cant find it....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18155.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1216868  
Old 06-12-2009, 01:28 PM
103/17

Yup,

1987 and I had a 40 sized Royal Mustang I had built. I was on my 12th flight or so and the gold Futaba radio I was using ( remember those? ) decided it was going to take a dirt nap.................. down through a pine tree it went peeling off the wings on its journey to solid terra firma. The radio got sent in and the problem was found ( I sold it and switched to JR ), but the plane was a total loss..................RIP my Royal Mustang.

103/17
Old 06-12-2009, 04:08 PM
hhoglejr

Oh do I....
Hyperion Super Chipmunk 10e, had the ailerons reversed took off and rolled the wrong direction and crashed. Total loss, Now
I pre-flight everything 2 times...

Old 06-12-2009, 04:41 PM
mkharte

YES!!!
First plane was a COX STEE 2ch, COX .049, no throttle. After reaching the point that I thought I knew how to fly it, I decided it needed more power. Installed a .09 and away it went. FAST, and OUT OF control. Bag of balsa in less than 49 seconds. Learned alot from that one. That was in 1979. Have I crashed again, yes, several planes later I am still learning that the envelope is fun to push but there is always a price to be paid.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:27 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I was flying my first plane. A Goldberg Cub. ( It flies just like a trainer Iwas told.) The person "teaching" me to fly had walked off to talk to a friend. The covering ripped off the right wing, and it crashed onto a road about half a mile away. On the way to get it, a cement truck ran it over. The servos were REAL flat and the motor was not to good either. I never flew at that site or with my Teacher again.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Cashpoboy
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

1976 MEN Trainer.
I was eleven yrs old and put my life savings into this plane and a Kraft radio.
I was on a final approach and the trainer floats super slow. Some guy turned on his radio and shot me down. It happened so fast all I could do was shout yellow and white over and over. This was before numbered frequencies. Minor damage, muffler screw broke on HB 25. I was really upset but it lived to fly again.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:58 PM
cordell staker

Spring 1973 - Midwest Sweet Stick and a Heath kit radio.  Snap rolled it in the setting sun at about 30 feet.

The fundamental rules of this hobby  are:  1.  They all crash. and  2.  When they crash, you're still alive.

If it's colorful, goes up in the air, cost lotsa money, makes noise,  burns gas, has the potential for danger, and isn't very interesting for women, I AM ALL OVER IT ! 
C. Staker
Old 06-13-2009, 05:45 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been at this long enough and had enough crashes that I don't really remember exactly which was the first crash. The first crash that comes to mind that totaled a plane out was a standard class glider - fuselage broke on a strong high start launch. Looped off the high start and lawn darted straight in. I still have the wings someplace in a box and the fuselage was toast.

Here's a few more memorable incidents:

I was flying my Sig Kavalier in a farm field in Florida (around 1981) shooting touch-n-go's when a gust of wind caught it on a steep pull-up. The nose went to vertical about 30' high. As it flipped onto its back I tried to fly it out inverted but didn't have enough altitude to save it. I still have the landing gear and tail.

I had a Bridi Sun-Fli 4-20 that we put a buddies brand new K&B .40 (model 8011) and new radio into. My buddy was flying it when I heard him yell "Oh-S***"! It hit a road (we where flying in a housing development that had the roads laid in but no other work done), bounced a good 20' in the air fully intact and explode. Nothing was worth saving. The engine was bent and wouldn't turn, the radio components where in multiple pieces, and we never found the battery pack. He got disoriented rolling it and was inverted at low altitude thinking he was right side up and pulled up elevator which caused it to head for the ground. That was probably the best crash I've seen.

I was flying a Sig Astro Hogs a few years back when it went into elevator flutter, blew the left stab off, and pitched down hitting the ground. It bounced a good 50' into the air when the engine parted company (it had only one blade left on it, still running, after it hit the ground). This was the 6 flight for the plane and engine (OS .61 SF). I managed to stabilize the plane but when it dropped vertically it pancaked on the ground and broke in half. The engine continued upwards and came down on the centerline of the runway. Surprisingly it blew the muffler apart, broke the front muffler bolt boss off and blew the carb out. I have the engine in the back room and it's still turns over fine. I have the airframe rebuilt and ready for covering. The original builder (I got it at an estate sale) put one of the elevator control horn attach screws through the elevator joiner dowel and it didn't take long for it to break.

Most recent was my Herr Lil' Extra. One of these days I'll figure out I can't snap roll it at 3' and expect it to keep flying every time.

Hogflyer