Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > CEN Racing
Reload this Page >

T-maxx axle carriers and half shafts on a fun factor

Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

T-maxx axle carriers and half shafts on a fun factor

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 09:24 AM
sschuler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-maxx axle carriers and half shafts on a fun factor

These posts are from the CEN forum on radio control zone: http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/a...36819-p-2.html

Originally Posted by CENST2RACERX
Hey Poor Judgement, Update on my projects. Both CVD's will work, But I don't quite like the finished fit. But I have a solution to our problems (I think). Give me a little time to work all this out. I am going to be using Tmaxx axle carriers and CVD axles mounted to the HPI MT CVD bones. If all goes right, we won't need tmaxx wheel adaptors anymore. We will have stronger CVD's With Tmaxx size axles!!!!
Keep your fingers crossed!

My response:

Call me crazy, but I got an idea to go along with CENST2RACERX's idea with the t-maxx axle carrier project. Instead of using a combination of MIP CVDs and axles, what if you used the entire stock t-maxx half shafts? I think they can just be cut down enough to fit in the fun factor. I am working out how to have it mount to a modified CEN dif cup. I really do think this could work. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I think I am going to run out a get a set of the t-maxx half shafts to give it a shot.

Can any former T-maxx owners verify whether or not we can cut the half shafts to fit?
Old 03-10-2005, 02:37 PM
Scouser

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: T-maxx axle carriers and half shafts on a fun factor

I am afraid I cant answer your question but when you get the modifications done I would love to see some pictures if you can post some. Sounds like a wild project you have got going.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:53 PM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a t-maxx sitting on the shelf next to my mt2 and usa-1 nitro crusher.... what do you want me to look at to see if it fits or can be cut down... I was looking into maxx modified wheel hexes and offset wheel as my way of making them fit, but I think it will put too much stress on the bearings.... I was talking to poor judgement and waiting for his findings when the t-maxx kind of landed in my shop... I fixed it for a friend who decided he didn't want it anymore... not bad for a 28 dollar investment... needed a new tank and spur gear.....
Old 03-11-2005, 12:32 PM
sschuler

Cool. I know that the t-maxx axle carriers will bolt right onto the mt2 suspension arms. Now we need to have some kind of drive axle. I want to use the stock tmaxx half shafts, since they are cheap and I THINK they should be easy to cut down to size, in order to fit in the space between the diff and the wheel. Take a look at both sections of the half sharts (axles/cvd) to see if they would still work if they were cut to size. If they are, good. Then we need to figure out how to modify the mt2 dif cup to accept the tmaxx axle or u-joint.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:26 PM
cenracer1

I will look at it tonight or tomorrow as I get home from work at around 10:00pm... the girlfriend won't like getting ignored right away... but she knows what I have been trying to do with the truck so we'll see....
Old 03-22-2005, 06:29 PM
taylormade

I have been looking into this T-maxx axle carrier project and checking the forum for progress. Especially since I broke the plastic steering part attatched to the hub. I was wanting to use an aluminum t-maxx axle carrier only. Keeping the cen cvds, and standard 2.2 tire and rim. Will the pillow ball screws fit without any modifications? Is the cvd the right length? Will I have to find special sized bearings? The reason Im asking so many questions is because tommarow im visiting a hobby shop salvage yard. Just the way it sounds. They have walls and walls of shelves with tubs filled with new and used parts for all rcs. This place is incredible. If I had to guess the have a 1/2 milllion in inventory. There was a tub that weighed at least 100lbs filled with titanium rods. I could go on and on. I would be willing to examine some other parts if any of you are curious. Also is there a part # for the axle carrier? I seen integy makes them but last time I went to this shop I could only find 1/8 scale carriers. I would hate to order the wrong one considering all the money I waste on shipping. Thanx for your input!!
Old 03-23-2005, 08:51 AM
sschuler

This weekend I discovered that the clearance under the upper suspnsion arm would not allow the tmaxx half shafts to be used. SO, using the stock cvds would be an option. You would, however need to use different bearings, as the axle of the mt2 is smaller than that of the tmaxx. Before you head too far down the road, make sure that the space between the bearings on both the mt2 axle carriers and those of the tmaxx are the same. If the tmaxx has a larger space, you will not have enough space on the axle to put the pin through the hole on the axle. If you are going to access to such a large amount of parts, I would be interested in finding out if any other truck's suspension arms would fit on the mt2. Of course I would be looking for ones that are longer. I have been looking on the net, but it is hard to size things up that way ;-)
Old 03-23-2005, 09:38 AM
cenracer1

I looked at my t-maxx which will be sold this weekend due to lack of use.... the half shafts are way too thick... I looked at the mip cvd conversion for the maxx but no way to cut it down.... I will be looking at the savage set-up shortly to see how that works... I have a kyosho usa-1 also and will look at that... Its very close to the savage except for the wheel hubs
Old 03-23-2005, 10:36 AM
poor judgement

cenracer: how did u get on with the hpi mt halfshafts? will they go onto a tmaxx stub axle?
Old 03-23-2005, 11:33 AM
cenracer1

been so busy to look at that... will try this weekend after the bunny hunting...... (I mean easter egg hunting).... I don't think they will fit into the carriers as eveything is so much larger than the cen, but you never know... I'm still waiting to test the new chassis brace, but between work and another 6-8 inches of snow tonight... who knows... I will try the usa-1 shafts as they are almost exactly the same as the savage...
Old 03-23-2005, 01:03 PM
poor judgement

hmmm - i was under the impression u were looking at using the hpi mt shaft with the t-maxx stub shaft fitted in the tmaxx hub...

if the cv joint works out ok, then i think thats our best shot, mate. the hpi mt shafts are listed as being 87mm long, now so long as the tmaxx stub shaft is around the same length as the hpi stub, all should fit in there.... in theory.

question is... how much thicker/stronger are the hpi shafts over the cen ones, if anything?

and just to spoil all the fun - the cen shafts i got are the thicker ones, and they look pretty chunky in there to be honest, but the stub shaft still looks a little flimsy. so maybe...here we go again.... the tmaxx stub would work with the cen shaft and tmaxx hub... maybe.

failing all that - the savage front (or was it the rear..?) centre shaft may work with the tmaxx stub shaft and the tmaxx hub carrier. but thats gonna work out a bit pricey, although it would be very strong if it would all fit

if only i had a decent lhs here..... doh.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:12 PM
cenracer1

wow... I'm confused myself.... I don't have access to a savage,but the usa-1 should be close at least thats what I'm told... before I get rid of the t-maxx I will tinker with it again and see what works....
Old 03-23-2005, 08:03 PM
taylormade

Went to the salvage yard today and made some finds. The t-maxx axle carriiers will fit(old news). But ther isnt enough clearance for the standard cen 2.2 rim. So you will need the 14-17 wheel adapter and tmaxx rims and tires. Also I think the pivot ball on the cen are too small. You will need to use tmaxx pivot balls. That raises the question if the ball threads will fit cens arms. They can be made to fit with tap and die. You will probably need a specially sized bering or make a bushing around the factory sized bering. I know this will work using while using cen cvds. I must put this project on the back burner temporarily due to a couple different mods Im working on which I will keep you posted. Also Im going to check with a local machine shop about making identical cen carrier out of alluminum instead. I will upgrade this weak link before long though.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:08 PM
taylormade

sshuler,
Didnt read your post before I left. Its a shame because my hands touched hundreds of suspension arms today. I plan to go back next week though and I will test fit some longer arms and measure and let you know.
They do mail order and internet ordering. So if I find something I can put you in touch.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:08 PM
sschuler

Thanks for keeping me in mind. I sure hope you can find some. Longer arms would make the truck just that much more less able to roll
Old 03-24-2005, 05:31 PM
poor judgement

sounds like u have found a little goldmine taylormade!

if u could keep an eye out for any buggy type arms that connect to the lower shock mount directly, ie actually mount in the arm itself, i would be very grateful.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:17 PM
Scouser

I have just had a look at the Savage lower a-arms and compared them to the CEN mt/ st lower arms. The Savage arms split into wishbones at the chassis end. If the outer part of the wishbone is removed, they appear to be a very close match to the width of the CEN arms. The plastic is much thicker but there should be enough clearance around the CEN bulkhead to allow the SAvage arm to move. I will take the Savage arms off to confirm this at the next opportunity, but in my opinion the Savage arms could be made to fit on the CEN.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:41 PM
Scouser

Found a picture of the Savage lower arms. these are aluminum ones but are identical to the stock plastic ones. As posted earlier, if you remove the outer parts of the arm, the inner dimensions seem VERY similar.
Attached Images  
Old 03-25-2005, 12:44 PM
sschuler

How much longer are the savage arms? And what about upper arms?
Old 03-25-2005, 12:54 PM
poor judgement

nice one scouser

so are u looking at using the inner savage arm mount for the cen top arms, and the outer one for the lower arms?

if it works then we are back to the damn driveshaft issue!! lol, shouldnt be that hard tho if the savage shafts will clear the top arm at the diff end.

keep us posted mate, i like the look of that, but i personally would go for plastic arms, to keep a bit of flex in there.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:54 PM
Scouser

The Savage arms are much longer, they would widen the CEN considerably. The main problem would be making the hub assembly work on the CEN. Haven't worked out the upper arms bit yet.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:59 PM
sschuler

if the savage uses pillow balls like CEN and t-maxx do, we should be able to hook up the hub assembly
Old 03-25-2005, 06:23 PM
Scouser

Right, the top arm goes like this. The Savage has something called a control arm where it is basically the fixed arm cut in half with a turnbuckle in the middle. If you ditch the end that mounts to the bulkhead and keep the hub end then get CEN upper arms for the rally car and screw them onto the other end of the turnbuckle, you are left with an upper arm that fit the Savage hub and the CEN bulkhead. SORTED. Now, driveshafts.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:12 PM
poor judgement

lol... go scouser, go!!
Old 03-26-2005, 10:01 AM
Scouser

It all works. Had the Savage lower arm and modified upper arm on the CEN today. With this set up you can use the Savage hub assembly, giving you easy access to the range of maxx size wheels and tyres. There is only one hurdle and that is the drive shafts. The Savage ones are way too big to fit in the CEN cups. Any ideas as to a solution?
By the way this thing looks awesome. Totally factory looking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.