Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

Bulletproofing FunFactor

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 08:41 AM
nitromacguyver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bulletproofing FunFactor

i gave some thought to aluminum diff cases a while ago before i kindof got out of the hobby but they were far beyond my means. i wish i had been frequenting the forum more often so i could have been in on this. as far as bullet proofing your mt2, there is still the issue of hitting a curb and bending the center drive shaft which i have done on several occasions. take a look at my gallery and tell me what you think. its kindof ugly but it braces the chassis with out using the throttle servo as a structural member. PS, i would be interested in the drawings. i am going to college in the fall to do Mechanical engineering and i am planning on practically living in the machine shop. they have manual and CNC stuff so i would probably be able to make these myself. what would be a reasoable price for the drawings only? i wouldnt be in a position to get them immediately (no money and no cad/cam software) but by the end of the year i might be. thanks
Old 03-31-2006, 09:34 AM
poor judgement

DrH - thanks for that, was just curious if u had gone for something other than 6061. makes sense to stick with it. i was going to ask about the bearing supports/recesses, it all sounds like good stuff!

im guessing that u will have a better idea of cost after u have done the first prototypes?

just a thought tho - have u gauged interest in these? it might be worth investigating before u put a whole load of hours into it. like i say - just a thought.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:19 PM
BootMachine

ORIGINAL: nitromacguyver

i gave some thought to aluminum diff cases a while ago before i kindof got out of the hobby but they were far beyond my means. i wish i had been frequenting the forum more often so i could have been in on this. as far as bullet proofing your mt2, there is still the issue of hitting a curb and bending the center drive shaft which i have done on several occasions. take a look at my gallery and tell me what you think. its kindof ugly but it braces the chassis with out using the throttle servo as a structural member. PS, i would be interested in the drawings. i am going to college in the fall to do Mechanical engineering and i am planning on practically living in the machine shop. they have manual and CNC stuff so i would probably be able to make these myself. what would be a reasoable price for the drawings only? i wouldnt be in a position to get them immediately (no money and no cad/cam software) but by the end of the year i might be. thanks
Trade you the drawings for some spurr gears!

LA

P.S> I'm almost finished the rear now.

Just have to draw a few more features, then measure where all the holes go....then Its off to Dr. Honda.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:16 PM
poe

how easyis it to put in the os 18? does it just fit in or do you have to move things? Would i have to change anything else like gears or anything? one last thing.. where can i get mt2 hop ups and parts online? thank you
Old 03-31-2006, 08:23 PM
azzman

Fits like a glove. You wont regret it. No mods needed.
http://www.customrccars.com/
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/
Old 03-31-2006, 08:24 PM
azzman

Old 03-31-2006, 10:00 PM
BootMachine

customrccars hooks me up every time!

I order a lot of stuff through them so now they are giving me more free glow plugs than I know what to do with!
Old 03-31-2006, 10:42 PM
Spentona

ORIGINAL: BootMachine

customrccars hooks me up every time!

I order a lot of stuff through them so now they are giving me more free glow plugs than I know what to do with!

Sell em on ebay!!!!!
Old 03-31-2006, 10:51 PM
poe

if you put the os on can you feel the diffrence? is it worth it?
Old 03-31-2006, 11:59 PM
nitromacguyver

Spur gears huh, i have an xfactor and there was this guy on the XTM xfactor forum that made steel gears for the factor. i asked him about making some for my mt2 if i provided him the parts. he said that he could.

i believe this is his site www.1320.4t.com
his name is 8man i believe. like i said its been a while for me on the forums so i may be wrong. good luck with this
Old 04-01-2006, 01:31 AM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

The magnum spurs are steel and they look light so they shoudl work great once you can get em.
I have genesis spurs on mine and they work great too, although they are a bit heavy.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:27 AM
poor judgement

if you put the os on can you feel the diffrence? is it worth it?
u most certainly can, and it most certainly is!

run it in properly and carefully and u will have an almost uncontrollable truck! i reckon its about the limit of sensible, controllable power in a funfactor.

dead easy to tune, holds its tune well and stands up to a fair bit of abuse. good pullstart on these too, and the airfilter looks good to boot!

very popular motor for the funfactor - u wont be dissappointed
Old 04-01-2006, 06:31 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: poor judgement

DrH - thanks for that, was just curious if u had gone for something other than 6061. makes sense to stick with it. i was going to ask about the bearing supports/recesses, it all sounds like good stuff!

im guessing that u will have a better idea of cost after u have done the first prototypes?

just a thought tho - have u gauged interest in these? it might be worth investigating before u put a whole load of hours into it. like i say - just a thought.

Yep… I’ll need to make one first to get a real price. If I can make them with cutting tools I have here… or at least, tools that are standard sizes (inexpensive)… and if I can cut them quickly… the price may not be too bad. On a part like this… the actual material cost is not what dictates the price. It’s the tooling and runtime.

As far as the interest… it really doesn’t matter to me at the moment. (since I don’t have a lot of time) If I sell a few of them, that will put a few $$$ in my pocket, keep my name out there, and make you guys happy. Remember… this isn’t my day job, so I don’t have to run enough parts to keep my doors open. The CNC thing is as much of a hobby for me, as are my RC toys.

If I make these cases… I really will need to buy a funfactor. I’ll have too may cool parts not to own one.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:08 AM
Scouser

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dr Honda, if you do decide to buy a Fun Factor or Magnum, you may be tempted to have a look at producing a 'competition' chassis now that the JT Racing one is no longer available. The stock purple FF one is a very thin ali and I reckon the new Magnum one is thicker but no better grade of metal. Of course this is IF you get one, but it might be worth a thought.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:45 PM
BootMachine

I can draw the chassis for you....

Along with beefed up rear dog bones....

and anything more you guys can think of! (Custom Rims???)
Old 04-01-2006, 06:46 PM
poor judgement

a good solid, full length top plate would be great. im getting quite a bit of twist in the chassis from the engines torque on take off - enough to loose gear mesh to the point it skips teeth and moves the engine mounts . taller ratios help, but its not ideal.

a full chassis would be great, with a full length top plate to suit, it would solve most problems just by giving a solid base to everything.

regards to a toplate tho - the stock and jt chassis ones would be different lengths (either 1/4 or 1/2" depending on age of jt chassis (allegedly))... just something to think about. i could really do with one tho... please...?
Old 04-01-2006, 08:33 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe the 1 piece top plate and chassis could come as a kit? Just an idea. Maybe they could be sold separately then as a kit for a small discount? This would be good for my son't ATX. Of course, the top plate would have to accomodate the larger fuel tank.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:19 PM
BootMachine

ORIGINAL: poor judgement

a good solid, full length top plate would be great. im getting quite a bit of twist in the chassis from the engines torque on take off - enough to loose gear mesh to the point it skips teeth and moves the engine mounts . taller ratios help, but its not ideal.

a full chassis would be great, with a full length top plate to suit, it would solve most problems just by giving a solid base to everything.

regards to a toplate tho - the stock and jt chassis ones would be different lengths (either 1/4 or 1/2" depending on age of jt chassis (allegedly))... just something to think about. i could really do with one tho... please...?
post a sketch of what you want it to look like!

LA
Old 04-01-2006, 09:26 PM
azzman

Two things to consider when making a top plate, which I have done is that a; it cant be totaly flat because the top of the rear gearbox and brake seat is higher than the front gearbox.
and b; If you want a top mounted servo (one that you can take out without removing the top plate) and a servo thats not a stressed member, then the top plate must contain parts that runs vertically along the sides of the servo because there is not enough width to make a top plate thats wide enough to drop the servo into and be strong enough.

CEN has designed the Magnum quite well in that respect, if you download the magnum manual you will see the new top plate design, or check pics below, but it also has a new brake seat with mounts for the top plate about 2 thirds the way up so. For those with standard chassis it will probably fit (with the brake seat as well) but for those with JT the easiest way is to put an aluminium rod through between the shock towers.
It also includes on of the mounts for the lay down servo!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41877.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	437280   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79995.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	437281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34161.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	437282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi16041.jpg
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	437283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk69075.jpg
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	437284  
Old 04-02-2006, 01:24 AM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

Here are some Pics of the plates I bought off azzman. I had to grind the one down on my mt2 so it didt hit the batt. box for some reason. Also one was cut for the ofna tank and one wasn't when I got them so I cut it down anyway. You can see the Rally one has the stock steering servo mount and also has some holes drilled above the spurs. I think I might drill holes like that on the MT2 plate. They were just a shade too tight when i got em and tightened them down, the center driveshaft was too tight between the diffs. I just rubbed then ends of my driveshafts on a file so that I took off about half a mm on each end and it fits PERFECT now.

I wasn't able to get a JT chassis so this is the next best thing.
Pretty hard to bend a chassis now...

PS: The MT2 is as ugly as could be, but its about as solid as it's gonna get unless those alum diffs work out
and I'm still waiting for my front buggy shafts [:@]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28441.jpg
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	437402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60701.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	437403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22508.jpg
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	437404  
Old 04-02-2006, 01:47 AM
azzman

Ahhh my babies...
Old 04-02-2006, 09:30 AM
JonnyLightening
My Feedback: (8)

I wouldn't put oil on your gears, I've tried it and it makes a mess oil splatters everywhere but the cover idear would be a great add on.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:45 AM
poor judgement

yep yep - something like the one azzman made up was what i was thinking.

they are very bloody substantial! i was thinking of something a little skinnier tbh, thereby leaving more clearance for different fuel tank layouts etc. something along the lines of an extended jt top plate would be ideal i reckon. the only awkward bit would be getting the bends in the right place, for the brake seat etc, the rest is straightforward enough.

ill have a little doodle, n see what i come up with.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:34 PM
mulletman

very nice work azzman, very hefty plates
Old 04-02-2006, 07:33 PM
Spentona

If I make these cases… I really will need to buy a funfactor. I’ll have too may cool parts not to own one.

Dr H, have you got a list of what parts you make for the funfactor or a website or something?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.