Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > CEN Racing
Reload this Page >

cleaning out the diff grease on cen gst???

Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

cleaning out the diff grease on cen gst???

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 11:58 AM
forevernitro75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaning out the diff grease on cen gst???

how and what should i use to clean out the diff grease in the front and rear of the cen gst before i add diff oil and what is a good combo to add... i know that the front diff oil is supposed to be thicker than the back but thats about it

thanks
Old 04-03-2007, 12:14 PM
jombo

Default RE: cleaning out the diff grease on cen gst???

try this stuff, i used it when i needed to clean the grease off the diffs so i could loctite them
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55557.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	656103  
Old 04-03-2007, 12:40 PM
dr13zehn

10K/30k/5K (front/center/rear) for mainly racing is what was recommended to me by a CEN representative. That is what I'm going to use as a starting point.

To remove the grease, try carburetor cleaner from Walmart or a auto parts store like Autozone. There are different kinds, so make sure you check them and get one that doesn't attack plastic. Carb cleaner is great, since it's cheap (much cheaper than nitro spray you get at the LHS) and it works better too.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:11 PM
s5lin

And before you even try to remove the screws from the diff, heat the diff up with a heatgun or throw them in the oven for a little bit to weaken the loctite that is on the diffs. If you don't do this, it will be much more difficult to take apart the diffs.

For cleaning out diffs, I personally like to use mineral spirits. You can get this at any home depot or hardware store. The reason I like using mineral spirits over carb cleaner is the exact reason that Blitz had mentioned earlier, some carb cleaners are so strong that they may eat the plastics. The routine I have for the diffs is like this, I clean out one diff at a time, this way I don't have to worry about resetting the gear mesh between my ring and pinion gears. I generally just take the diff case off and pull out the six gears. Then I just put the gears into a little container of mineral spirits and get a toothbrush and start scrubbing away the old grease or oil.

For the Nemesis I do like running the setup Blitz mentioned, 10/30/5. Also while you have diffs out check the bearings on the outdrives. When you have the diffs apart, check the bearings to make sure they are not getting rough or notchy. If they are, replace as needed.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:24 PM
forevernitro75

ok thanks guys but should i still use diff oil in the center diff if im going to use the center diff lock and how hot should i set the oven i dont want to melt the plastic in there but i want the heat to be effective on the lock tite

by the way whats a good brand of diff oil ... sorry for the dumb questions ive never put oil in a diff before cant wait to see what it does!!!

thanks again
Old 04-04-2007, 01:01 AM
unlawfullactions

thanks for starting this thread, it ansewered everything i was going to ask
Old 04-04-2007, 09:34 AM
dr13zehn

Your questions are not dumb at all.

The Ofna or GS oil seems to be very good. Also my LHS carries Mugen and Kyosho oils, and he says they are both good. In the end it really doesn't matter much, just get a name brand oil and you'll be fine.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:46 AM
s5lin

If you are using the center lock, there is no need to add diff oil. The diff will be locked once you put the center lock in there. As for using the oven to break the loctite loose, I put the oven at 325 degrees F and the diffs were in the oven for about ten minutes. Use gloves when you are disassembling the diff!! Or if you don't want to use the oven, people have used a soldering iron and put the tip of the iron to the head of the screw to break the loctite. But I have not used the soldering iron method.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:52 AM
forevernitro75

HEY THANKS GUYS YOURE AWESOME!!! THIS WILL HELP ALOT!!

BTW DO YOU NOTICE A BIG DIFFERENCE IN THE TRUCK WITH DIFF OIL, WILL IT BE WORTH MY TIME??
Old 04-04-2007, 11:34 AM
dr13zehn

I have not put diff oil in my Nemesis yet. However, everybody I talked to that put it in said it makes quite a difference.

Oh and BTW, I wouldn't lock the center diff. You can buy some stupid thick diff oil (highest I've seen is 500,000wt). I'd put something like that in the diff instead so you don't completely loose it's function. But that's just my2cents.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:13 PM
MONAROMAN

Lock it![>:]
Old 04-04-2007, 06:42 PM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lock it! Lock it! Lock it! Oh, But If you are unsure,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOCK IT! The performance is so drastic you wont be dissappointed!!! Want wheelies?? Lock it!![>:][8D]
Old 04-04-2007, 08:31 PM
forevernitro75

ok ok ill lock it!! lol thanks again btw anyone have vids of the gst with or without center diff lock???
Old 04-05-2007, 12:04 AM
marko rossi

how do u lock the centre diff & what brand oil is recommended - i guess it doesn't really matter that much?
Old 04-05-2007, 12:21 AM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark you are right no matter what brand of diff fluid.

[link=http://www.cenracing.com/downloads/difflock.jpg]Official CEN diff lock instructions-Click here[/link]
Old 04-05-2007, 09:29 AM
dr13zehn

Ok ok... Lock it... Sheesh

Seriously, if you want to race the truck I would not lock it. You don't want wheelies on a track... you want control.

However, if you want to bash mainly, lock the sucker... more fun for sho.

As for what brand of oil, it doesn't really make much of a difference, as long as you use a name brand like Ofna, Mugen or GS.
I'd just get whatever is cheapest, just don't buy some no name off brand oil.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:53 AM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sweet i'm locking mine then also!
Old 04-05-2007, 12:14 PM
JUCD VPR

So i'm buying OFNA 10K, 5K and traxxas 30K because i couldn't find oFNA 30K on tower hobbies?
Old 04-05-2007, 09:25 PM
unlawfullactions

lol, seems like there isn't much controversy about locking the center diff, seems like there isn't anyone opposing doing this....also, what parts are most likely to break when you lock the center diff, as opposed to not locking it? and does locking it just make it rear wheel drive? i think i read that somewher can't remember
Old 04-05-2007, 11:06 PM
VDub99AML
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Locking the center diff means the same amount of power goes to the front and rear wheels. With the center diff open, the wheels with the least amount of resistance will receive the majority of the power. If I were to have a guess, I would say that the drive cups would wear out the fastest. I ran my center diff open just with the factory installed grease, and my drive cup for the rear drive shaft on the center diff is extremely worn. The truck is 1 year old, and has been run pretty hard I would say. Right now, I am waiting on a replacement cup. I also am in the process of adding diff oil to all the diffs. I am going to try 30k all around. Not too sure how it'll handle, but I'm gonna give it a shot. Hopefully, it will cut down on the amount of torque steer my truck has and make it a little more driveable.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:52 AM
MONAROMAN

Okay, its Good Friday, I worked lasted night and missed the first half of the day sleeping, got up ant decided to take the beast for a run with its new body and 1K weight oil in rear diff. I have previously snapped two rear diff outdives approx 2 tanks apart after locking the center diff and adding 10K front and rear.
Got about 1/3 of a tank out of the new outdrive before it snapped again! No WOT, no tyre ballooning, no donuts just nice even throttle on dirt. Was taking it easy and just trying to get some time behind the wheel. This is starting to **** me now, I'm going to try upgrading to the nemmy diffs and/or investigate those beefy outdrives from another thread. Here's a photo of the first two.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...ffOutdrive.jpg

I love the performance difference that the center lock provides - dead set its an animal compared, and I don't really want to have to go back to the center diff (not a racer) but at this rate I can't even get a tank out of it and its costing me a packet and I'm watching savages beat themselves up all day. Although I am getting good at pulling the truck apart. [&o]
Old 04-06-2007, 12:53 AM
JUCD VPR

Can you post a link to the replacement drive cups please. i may pick up a few extra in case this problem happens. Thanks for the info!
Old 04-06-2007, 12:55 AM
JUCD VPR

Uh oh? Thats not making me feel to good about locking the center diff, hmm let me know what happens because if that keeps up i do not want to lock mine!
Old 04-06-2007, 01:04 AM
MONAROMAN

This threads got a fair bit on this issue
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_56..._2/key_/tm.htm
This one too
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_56..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 04-06-2007, 08:16 AM
.46NitroAddict

Hi Guys,

All very interesting, especially the diff oil rates you are talking of!

I have just finnished replacing the factory grease in my Genesis LE's center diff with 100 000wt Mugen silicone Diff Oil, (thickest I could get my hands on locally) in an effort to lock the center up more, without running the lock block. I must say that I haven't run it yet, but the center diff is definately looser now than it was originally (even compared to the new unused spare GST one I have). Bit disappointed, but will run it to try it anyway. As I expect it will make it worse than it was. But I need to drive. I am still going to try to find some 300 000wt, just in case!

Blitzekriec , you said you have found some 500 000wt oil, who makes it? & where can I get some?

Regards, .46NitroAddict. [>:]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.