Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Ratchet Roll?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 06:29 PM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ratchet Roll?

Could some of you experts describe the ratchet roll and how it should look? That is one maneuver I have seen just a couple of times in my life, and it is something I always aspired to learn to do proficiently. My search here and at Google did not turn up anything. If someone has a video to share, I sure would love to see that. I am having a blast with an Intruder 90R, and am really getting a kick in the pants doing slow rolls, 4pt rolls, and am trying to get better at 8pt rolls and rolling circles with it. These are all things of beauty when done at low altitude where one can judge the levelness with the horizon. There's just a bigger pucker factor too, down low, and it wows onlookers. Thanks! Jon
Old 06-28-2011, 11:36 AM
maukaonyx

Default RE: Ratchet Roll?

76 views and no input yet. Surely there is an older old-timer than me with experience with the ratchet roll. It's just my guess that in this maneuver, you roll to each quarter point on a roll (3, 6, 9, 12, and follow each one with a roll backwards of 1/8. So my example is to roll right to 90degrees (right KE), roll left 45, roll right to 180 (inverted), roll left 45, roll right to 270 (left KE), roll left 45, then roll to upright again. Or do you start with a 45 left? That's why I need some memory help, lol. Jon
Old 06-28-2011, 03:00 PM
RonMcCormick
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like you are the expert! At least you have heard of it. First time I have heard of it. I'm as curious as you are. It is interesting that if centered and same time as normal 4pt you can not stop rolling. Do it with a stick plane looks neat. I will try it next time out. But it seems for a left ratchet 4 pt you have to start with a ratchet 1/8 right then to the 6, ratchet 1/8 right then to the 9 ect
Old 06-28-2011, 04:36 PM
maukaonyx

Hey Ron, I can remember it looking just breathtaking, but I sure cannot vouch for my memory on how far each forward roll goes, and how far each ratchet backwards goes. The real expert just has not seen this thread yet. I haven't even tried to do one yet, but I will. Gotta believe it takes a long time and a lot of airspace, hopefully in about the same time and distance as a slow roll. I have not done one yet because it has taken me all my life to get as average as I am, lol. I have just recently got underway on 8pt rolls and am getting better but not good at the rolling circle. BTW, I don't compete...I just like to fly the plane more than it flies me. Jon
Old 06-28-2011, 05:48 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One of the views was me. I was wondering what a ratchet roll was.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:53 PM
R_G
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: dhal22

One of the views was me. I was wondering what a ratchet roll was.
Me too! [sm=confused.gif]
Old 06-28-2011, 06:39 PM
RonMcCormick

Jon I haven't entered a contest since 79, but I love precision aerobatics, This is one of those maneuvers that grows on you as you think about it. I wonder what the Aresti diagram for a 1/8 ratchet 4 pt roll would look like. Any IMAC folks want to give it a shot?

PS
now I cant visualize this maneuver with out hearing a dam ratchet click !
Old 06-29-2011, 12:01 AM
bem

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is suppose to be a ratchet roll - 0:45 in the video (seen from inside an airplane):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH8vDoqFzE8

So it seems to be 2 rolls (or 2 1/4?)to theleft followed by4 point roll(or 5?) to the right then 2 rolls to the left.

/Bo
Old 06-29-2011, 05:48 AM
maukaonyx

Hi bem,

I viewed that vid when searching for the ratchet roll I described. I remember the roll looked a lot like what I described, and not like the one in this video. It could be that I am calling it a ratchet roll because that might have been a name I heard from the pilot or I made it up, lol! So in other words, it could just be me misnaming it, but whatever it is called, I loved it then and want to do it now. Thanks again. Jon
Old 06-29-2011, 06:12 AM
bem

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I do not know the name for the roll manuver you described:

example is to roll right to 90degrees (right KE), roll left 45, roll right to 180 (inverted), roll left 45, roll right to 270 (left KE), roll left 45, then roll to upright again

But it shold look cool. I will try it next time I fly.

/Bo
Old 06-29-2011, 08:23 AM
RonMcCormick

That video version is not very interesting to me. If you can get two complete rotations why would you need a ratchet? It is just full rolls and point rolls in sequence. Doing the ratchet the same as you would with a wrench IS interesting to me. Perhaps that's why is not well known.

I will play around with this next time out.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:09 AM
maukaonyx

"That video version is not very interesting to me. If you can get two complete rotations why would you need a ratchet? It is just full rolls and point rolls in sequence."

My thoughts exactly, Ron. When you go out this weekend, try varying the forward roll and the ratchet back. Tell us what you think looks coolest. Like I said before, my recollection of the amounts each way could be off. Ron, I wonder if I was just lucky to see a guy hot dogging a unique maneuver that only he did? Just seems unbelievable to assume that. I think someone will share their experience with us one of these days. Jon
Old 06-29-2011, 11:01 AM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: bem

example is to roll right to 90degrees (right KE), roll left 45, roll right to 180 (inverted), roll left 45, roll right to 270 (left KE), roll left 45, then roll to upright again
I saw an airshow performer do what his announcer called a ratchet roll and it was along those lines too...Not the two rolls/reverse 4 point/two...

I loved the looks of the ratchet roll I saw and have actually made my own attempts at the R/C field. I found it was a little harder than I expected it would be. Now that you guys bring it up I'll probably be doing them next time out as well... [8D]

Another maneuver I saw at an airshow that I really liked was a 5 point roll...I thought that was awesome lookin'!!

Have Fun...

Chuck

P.S. If I'm remembering correctly...The ratchet roll I saw he didn't stop at the traditional 90/180/270 angels....He started by rolling left a little then went right to say 100 degrees, then left a little followed by right to 290 degrees...ect...
Old 07-05-2011, 03:33 PM
maukaonyx

I tried the "ratchet roll" on the weekend a few times, and failed to complete it. I can't get my head around it yet when I am in the air. Sure seems more manageable on the ground, haha! Will keep trying, and if I get decent, then I will get a video of it. Jon
Old 07-05-2011, 06:32 PM
RonMcCormick

I tried the ratchet roll over the weekend and after doing 40 years of traditional 4, 8 and slow rolls I'm having to work on getting my head around this, has something to do with "old dogs, and tricks or something" I'm going to work on it till I get it.

PS
wouldn't be fun if it was easy