Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

What is this plane?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 12:34 AM
kaosfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this plane?

I bought this plane at a swap meet. I don't know what it is except it looks familiar. For sure, it's not a Dirty Birdy.

It has a side mounted engine, .60 size, came with fixed tricycle gear, fiberglass fuse with fiberglass fin and appears to have a balsa over foam horizontal stab and double tapered foam/balsa single piece wing.

Thanks folks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45537.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	582746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80184.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	582747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76023.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	582748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ha78506.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	582749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv16539.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	582750  
Old 12-24-2006, 08:13 AM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What is this plane?

I'm going to say it's a Deception, but I am very far from being an expert on these planes.

Name:	Ol31215.gif
Views:	392
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	582828  
Old 12-24-2006, 09:15 AM
Allie33

It sure looks like a Deception, I just went to the hangar and looked at my one remaining.

I never saw a glass fuselage version though. Mine took a whole lot of carving as I remember.

AW
Old 12-24-2006, 10:39 AM
Paternguy

The tail looks wrong for a Deception. It looks like one of the birds from Southern R/C.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:44 AM
Skylane
My Feedback: (3)

Hi Al,

The wing is not that of a Deception. The Deception wing has a greater sweep on the leading edge than on the trailing edge whereas this one looks to have equal taper fore and aft. I don't recognize this one.

Jeff
Old 12-24-2006, 10:47 AM
CoosBayLumber

Wasn't some firm on East Coast , like in New Jersey selling something like their interpretation of an Atlas? Was advertised with F.B. fuselage and foam wing in early 1980's. They had a model of 40 size, which apparently sold better for it was bleeped from advertisements. Only the 60 size went for a few years.

The rudder and the engine are about only thing familair to me, other than at their clearance time a few years later those same models went rather cheap. I think it was just less than $50, and free shipping.

Wm.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:25 AM
Allie33

Still looks like a Deception, but maybe a knock off, glass fuselage. Couldn't comment on the wings though because mine are still stored in ,as you might remember, that Budwiser bag that the wife was nice enough to make for me 25 years ago.

BTW, I was looking over the UFO. It seems that the "sorgum" that I used has allowed the sheeting to separate from the foam at the root of 1 wing. Ron thinks Gorilla glue would be the best product to stick it down. I think it may be too viscus to reach the inner portion, maybe 3 inches in a V shape.I wonder about foam safe CA.

If anyone out there has an idea please chime in.

AW

Old 12-24-2006, 11:40 AM
Paternguy

Gorila glue is a bad idea, it expands as it dries, it will buldge the skins. I would go with the foam CA.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:16 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Kaosfan,

It looks to be a Bootlegger knock off... and that the Bootlegger didn't have a double tapered wing.... I'd check with somebody who does have a Southern R/C ad.... they could tell you whether this was a kitted plane or not.... and... I've never seen a fiberglass Deception either... Merry Christmas !!!

Dan

Carolina Custom Aircraft
Old 12-24-2006, 01:32 PM
kaosfan

I am still researching this one. At first glance I thought maybe the builder had modified a Dirty Birdy kit. Upon closer look I don't think so. This one has a lot of work to be done on it but it seems to have come out at an acceptable weight.

The Bootlegger fuse I have seen in previous forum posts doesn't have the fiberglass fin on it.

By the way, does anybody have a picture of a Compensator? I can't seem to find one.

Funny thing about your UFO project AW. I have the same exact problem with mine.

Thanks folks and Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:37 PM
rainedave

Here are the plans for the Compensator.

Name:	Om32941.gif
Views:	86
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	583018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41434.gif
Views:	118
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	583019  
Old 12-24-2006, 05:09 PM
Allie33

Right on

I just went through some old photos. That is definately a Bootlegger tail section, and it was a resin/glass fuselage as I remember. Can't get to the attic to check the wing, too old and too much egg nog.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:33 AM
impactiq
My Feedback: (57)

I would half to go with the Allie and Deadstik on this. The plane does have the lines of the bootlegger. One sure way to tell if it is a Southern R/C kit is if the inside of the fuse (wing saddle are) is of a blue-ish color resin.
Old 12-25-2006, 03:25 AM
roncoleman
My Feedback: (14)

Looks like it may be a modified copy of the bootlegger design. The fuse wing
saddle isn’t deep enough at the trailing edge to be a Southern Bootlegger.
See photos

Name:	Qo40851.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	583306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up46899.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	583307   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81731.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	583308   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb79959.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	583309   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nz28611.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	583310  
Old 12-25-2006, 08:41 AM
Bootalini

Ron, nice looking Bootlegger! Obviously an old TOC edition.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:45 AM
roseberry

Merry Christmas boyz,

Well I believe what we have here is a design produced and used on the west coast called a Camino. I think it was produced about the same time frame as the Baranoski sp? Darrainger that would be early 80's.

On the topic of the the glass Deception yes there was a all glass Deception. It was produced by I think Troy or Todd Allen (memory fade) it was all glass with "glasskin wings" ala Bob Smiths T2A. I would love to get my hand on one again.

Mike
Old 12-25-2006, 09:59 AM
woodie

ORIGINAL: roseberry

Merry Christmas boyz,

Well I believe what we have here is a design produced and used on the west coast called a Camino. I think it was produced about the same time frame as the Baranoski sp? Darrainger that would be early 80's.

On the topic of the the glass Deception yes there was a all glass Deception. It was produced by I think Troy or Todd Allen (memory fade) it was all glass with "glasskin wings" ala Bob Smiths T2A. I would love to get my hand on one again.

Mike
The El Camino was a knock off of the Super Kaos with more rounded fuselage in the upper corners. It was all balsa like the Kaos. This wing plan/airfoil and the way the wing fits in the fuselage is very Kaos like tho the fin is larger......

I dunno, would have guessed modified Kaos or El Camino but they were all wood. I am not aware of a Kaos fiberglass version.

Woodie
Old 12-31-2006, 06:31 PM
kaosfan

Rainedave, thanks for the Compensator pic. That was quick too.

Happy New Year all!
Old 01-06-2007, 01:04 AM
WEAVE
My Feedback: (47)

This is a Rhett Miller design called the Compensator I flew this plane for a couple of years. This is a great flying bird. Good luck with your plane and happy flying. Ronnie Weaver, Garner, NC.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:58 PM
mjfrederick

So has there been a consensus on what the original plane at the top of this post is? I've been racking my brain to try and figure it out. At first glance I thought Bootlegger, but I went in the attic and checked the Bootlegger fuse I have, and the previous comment was correct in that the rear of the wing saddle is not deep enough. It's not a Compensator as the Compensator was not sold with a fiberglass fuse (not by Southern R/C anyway), that was why the Bootlegger was developed, it was a glass-fuse version of the Compensator, Another reason I say it's not a Compensator is that the canopy is way too long (I'm looking at a picture of my dad's old Compensator as I type this, and I'm also building a Gator Flea, the 40-sized Compensator). It definitely looks something from Southern R/C though. I seem to remember the Tiger Tail having very similar lines to the Bootlegger, perhaps that's what this is? I don't even remember if the Tiger Tail was produced by Southern R/C, but from what my dad has told me over the years, Ron Chidgey, Rhett Miller, and Steve Helms all used very similar lines in their designs and it was sometimes hard to tell one model apart from another.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:17 AM
Roguedog

Hey Kaosfan.

This looks like a later Model El Camino by Ed baranowski. There were several guys flying them were I used to fly in Ontario California. He was pumping these planes out during the early to mid eighties. They were priced at $300.00 according to the gents that purchased them. There were 3 different paint schemes and believe it or not they were ARF's cough! cough!

If I remember correctly he was also making Curares as well.

I sure wanted one bad. I think the guys that had them got tired of me coming over to admire them. Fiberglass fuse with foam wings, already painted. They had Screaming Sixties with tuned pipes, i believe mostly Webras.

I liked one so much I copied the paint scheme onto my Sig Kobra (see pic). On one occasion, I remember one of the planes got hit with interference, it did five or six beautiful loops in a row and then plowed into the field next to the street we landed on. Ouch! I remember everbody got quiet and waited to see his reaction. I would've had a aligator tear or two, as well, if it was mine.

And Yes Ed Baranowski made an early version with the same name. But I believe that this plane is a early to mid eighties version of his earlier plane. I've never seen the earlier version and haven't seen the later model one since then, but sure would like to have the one in the picture above. I've included a pic of the earlier version as well, its the only pic I could find of either until the pics above.

Name:	Hf10221.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	922890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62528.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	922891  
Old 04-06-2008, 07:34 AM
locolobot

O.K. My turn to have a question.I rebuilt a plane for a friend and for this favor he gave me this plane. We are not sure what it is nor where the kit was manfactured. It is a built up balsa and ply aircraft. It came to me completely covered in red monocote without a vertical stab. I built the vertical stab that is now in place on it. I also ordered and cut a canopany from a extra 300. So the canopany is something other than original. I have ordered a cowl to fit it since I am not sure wheather it is supposed to have a home built cowl or a glass one. I sure would appreciate it if someone can tell me what it is and provide me with some information on it or where I can obtain prints for it.. Thanks a bunch for your input.

Thanks again
Jack

Name:	Cz79745.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	923043   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15589.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	923044   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27986.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	923045  
Old 09-21-2008, 08:39 PM
Allie33

Just ran across your post and wondered:
Did you do anything about the lifting balsa on the wing? I think I used epoxy on the stab, but it was a long time ago. Twenty six or so years ago. I'll have to go to the attic and look at it, when time permits.

AW