Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

World A-6 Intruder

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 11:01 PM
vintageflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: World A-6 Intruder

Skip
I love to build, but this is one plane I think I should give a chance. Looks very nice!
Do you plan to compete in the SPA with this one?
I'll be watching for your comments on how she flies!

DM
Old 03-03-2007, 12:36 PM
Skip
My Feedback: (76)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give it a try but watch for the c/g to be too far forward. Skip
Old 03-26-2007, 08:41 AM
cmgtech1

Hey Randy, Do you have any right thrust in your engine? If so, how much?
Old 03-27-2007, 03:37 PM
rrcullman

cmgtech1, The thrust is what the firewall has built in. I know it has about 2 degree's down, not sure how much right it has built in. Randy SPA232
Old 03-29-2007, 11:10 PM
cmgtech1

Thanks Randy
Old 04-14-2007, 10:51 AM
ekir

I have just completed my Intruder 90R. Very please with the assembly of the Intruder.

I am using an OS 91 4-stroke without pump & an APC 13x8 prop. The total weight of the aircraft is 6 pounds 14 oz. ready to fly. I elected to put the servos in the normal position and used pull/pull rudder. I will test fly with the CG back from the leading edge at root, 165mm. I have added no weight to the tail to get the CG to that position.

I used my own hardware, Sullivan, Dubro & Dave Brown Products glass pushrod for elevator with a Y at the tail.

Instead of using the decal sheet with the model, I elected to purchase vinyl cut grapics. I used Kirbys Kustom Vinly Graphics in Lebanon, Ohio and very please with their work.

Ed Kirtley
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60520.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	663941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55614.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	663942   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41501.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	663943  
Old 04-14-2007, 02:30 PM
antique opa

Let us know how it flys. I'm wanting to buy one.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:52 PM
ShineyObject
My Feedback: (4)

I'd recommend you get one! Here is a short report that was posted on the Senior Pattern Association list.

The Dalton Gang has put Intruder # 2 into the air! Mike Robinson's new Truder was ready and chomping at the bits to get into the air. Temps here were still cool and the wind was "Brisk" but not nearly as bad as it had been. Mike was laid back and showed absolutely no signs of nervousness. The plane taxied out to the downind end of the runway and Mike advances the throttle.

After a few passes, Mike had the bird settling in and starting to look smooth. A completely uneventfull 1st flight. Mike spent most of the flight making passes and trimming. Wind the quartering wind, it was hard to say what was airplane related and what was wind related. We all go through this right?

A bit of tweaking to control surface throws and a clevis adjustment or two and back into the air she went. Flight #2 resulted in much flatter looking passes, gracefull pulls into the vertical and Mike was already starting to show signs of having a blast with the plane.

Once back on the ground, a bit more tweaking to throws and a very very slight change to the stab incidence. Mike noted that he has a bit more "up elevator" trim than he thought he should have to have, so he zero'd the trim and cranked a smidge of negative into the stabs.

Flight #3 had the plane really starting to show it's stuff. the Stab change was spot on and the plane flew as if it was very happy. Verticals were looking pretty good and the plane started to have a nice "balanced" feel to the controls. Mike had a smile from ear to ear as he started running through a few of the maneuvers. The plane showed marked improvement in all areas of flight and after landing, Mike indicated that he thought he had a winner. We agreed with with him.

A much needed club meeting briefly interupted the flying, but as soon as the meeting was over, Mike was fueling the Truder for Flight #4.

The 4th and last flight of the day was a "fun flight" for Mike. The wind had pretty much subsided and the plane was tracking well. Mike kinda cut loose and had some fun with the plane. It was obvious to us that he had already fallen in love with the airplane. Understandable!

I don't know how Mike's life could get any better! His 1st grandson (Micah) was born over the weekend. Mike was on cloud nine over Micah's arrival and is already looking forward to spending time with his grandson, and hoping that he will be able to share his love for flying with him for years and years. Top that off with a wonderfull 1st flying session with the new Intruder and he's just beside himself!!!
Old 04-14-2007, 06:55 PM
ShineyObject
My Feedback: (4)

Date: 04/10/07 07:52:33
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Newest Intruder

I got to make the first trim flights on my Intruder yesterday (Monday 9th). The weather was mostly cloudy, cool - 60's, and variable cross winds from 3 - 8 MPH. Not the perfect situation but tolerable.
After the 1st flight & triming I landed. I only make ONE CHANGE per flight. First was to mechanically change (right) aileron position. I also noted that I had about 3-5 degrees of up elevator in my trimmed flight.
Second flight was much more comfortable. The plane and my thumbs were beginning to settle into a nice flight. Standard trim tab changes then landed.
Noted I still had up elevator as mentioned before. Got out the allen wrench and adjusted more down incidence into the horizontal stab and moved my trim tabs back to neutral - No up elevator showing.
Flight three let me know real quick that the horizontal stab adjustment was the right thing to do.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:06 PM
antique opa

Thanks for posting that. I wish skips would have made it.[] I'll also check out the spa site.
Thanks.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:57 PM
wlcornelius

Skip I bet you would have a piture of the sterring arm hookup in the cowel of the intruder. I am wanting to use cable not the rod that came with it.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:59 PM
wlcornelius

I am wanting to use cable like you did on the sterring but I need a piture of the sterring arm hookup. HELP
Old 06-04-2007, 09:40 PM
WMB

Anyone flying theirs wih a 90 2 stroke? Looks like it would be fast and fun.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:14 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry a duplicate, Moderator please delete.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:15 AM
Sport_Pilot

What are you guys powering the Intruder with? How well would a strong .60 work? Is an OS .91 four stroke a must? Will other brands work?
Old 06-05-2007, 07:28 PM
wlcornelius

Chevy or Ford, your choice
Old 06-11-2007, 02:48 PM
cmgtech1

I've flown my WM Intruder in 2 SPA events thus far and it has represented itself in a respectable manner. The plane is a solid flying model with no bad quirks. Put the CG further back than the plans call for and you will love it. I started with my CG about 1/4" in front of the main gear, and eventually moved it back to the main gear.

The plane doesn't seem to be overly sensitive to control surface throws. I've got max throws on my ruder, and my elevator throw is at 5/8" up and 5/8" down. My elevator doesn't seem "touchy" at all in the air, yet it provides for great control at slow landing speeds. BTW.. this plane has a fairly thin wing and stab so she's pretty efficient in the glide. She's not a lead sled so there's no need to treat the landing pattern like that of space shuttle! A relatively flat pattern will do just fine - use the last 1/2 of the final approach to ease the nose up and she'll establish a very pretty "nose high" descent rate and a main gear 1st touch down. You'll have trouble if you're one of those that likes to dive a plane down to the runway.

As for the .61 2 stroke vs .91 4 stroke, all I can offer is an opinion. When it comes to vertical performance, I'm of the opinion that a .91 4 stroke is going to have an advantage over an unpiped .61 2 stroke. I completely agree with the SPA's decision to not allow tuned pipes or retracts as it makes for some very uncomplicated, affordable, and competative flying. The Intruder would certainly fly novice pattern with a .61 2 stroke but I don't think it would do well with some of the more vertical maneuvers such as the figure M with 1/2 rolls. Your milage may vary, so the .61 2 stroke may be your cup of tea

The WM Intruder 90R has proven to be a great aircraft for me. Because of the SPA and the WM Intruder 90R, I am able to enjoy some serious pattern competition on less than a shoe string budget. BYW- I fly a very basic Futaba 6EX FM radio with 4 std 3004 servos. I'm using an older version O.S. .91 surpass w/pump. I've not had a single minute where I wished I had made a different choice regarding the plane, radio, or engine.

Get a Truder, join the SPA, attend an SPA pattern contest and you'll have move fun than a barrel of monkeys!

Old 06-12-2007, 12:38 PM
antique opa

cmgtech1,
Congrats on your 1st place finish at the Hotlanta SPA contest. You and the Intruder are doing well.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:59 PM
ekir

I feel that I am starting to get my Intruder dialed in. I need to fly it more often, but flying field is 40 minutes away from the house. I am now flying the Intruder with the CG 1" behind the main landing gear. So far I like the way it feels at that position. It has not shown any tendency of wanting to dip a wing as it gets real slow. By having the CG this far back, I have bent the landing gear backwards, so the Intruder will sit with the nose wheel on the ground.

I have added a program mix and will leave the mix on for my type of flying. As rudder is applied, a small amount of down elevator is mixed.

How many Intruder pilots are using expo. I have a small amount (-15%) mixed. I have never used very much expo in the past. Maybe I am missing the point of expo?

I am using a little less elevator than the individual on the previous post, but probably will increase elevator to see how it feels.

Finally another question; With the servo in the wing as shown in the instructions, I can not use the hole closest to the output shaft. When I set up my throws to get three rolls in five seconds, I have to dial out lots of my aileron throw. Is this inefficient? Would it be better to have the throws at full max, not dialed out? The only way I could do this is go to a longer control horn on the aileron.

Ed K.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:31 PM
pimmnz

Expo on rotary servos allows the actual surface throw to be closer to linear, but you need to use about 30% to achieve this (positive expo) If you want to soften the neutral then you need to use more than this. As far as the aileron response is concerned, reducing the servo movement cuts down the number of `steps' (1024/60%) and might result in a slightly less `smooth' servo response, but I doubt you will notice anything when you are flying, if it is a concern, then just don't use full stick movement when rolling, it is supposed to be `proportional' radio after all.
Evan, WB#12.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:43 AM
cmgtech1

ekir - with your CG even further back than mine, I would use less elevator throw than what I posted for mine.

Also, with the CG 1" behind the main gear, do you think you could have removed the nose gear and added a tailwheel to make the plane a tail dragger? If you've bent the main gear back to accomodate the rearward CG, you should be able to reverse the gear so that they are angled more forward, and remove the nosegear?
Old 06-19-2007, 11:56 AM
ekir

Yes, it might be possible to reverse the gear and end up will a tail wheel aircraft. I have not tried it, but will consider. With the gear bend back, it has solved the landing gear probem that I was having.

Since my last post, the CG has changed. I have moved the CG more Aft. I like the way it is flying, but I am sure that it is an individual thing.

I am using 1/2" up and 10/16" down on the elevator.

Ed
Old 06-19-2007, 02:36 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: cmgtech1

Hey Randy, Do you have any right thrust in your engine? If so, how much?

---------------

Right thrust becomes left thrust when inverted. It tends to work with the engine trying to roll the model to the left, when inverted. I just rely on the rudder thumb both upright and inverted. Running right thrust can make outside loops (entered inverted) much more difficult than they need to be.

Ed Cregger
Old 06-19-2007, 02:48 PM
Sport_Pilot

Right thrust is still right thrust even when inverted. It is there to correct for the spiral slipstream of the prop, which is still spirialling in the same direction when inverted. it does little for P factor and precession. I think, of the three only p factor changes when inverted?
Old 06-20-2007, 07:10 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

We do not agree, but that is nothing new. <G>

-------edit-------------

This is not to say that some configurations do not benefit from some right thrust. As Sport Pilot said, some configurations will benefit from the addition of right thrust. The spiral slipstream of the prop cannot be totally ignored.

But what I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't automatically use right thrust or downthrust for the first flights of a model unless someone had already done the homework and found that a particular model needed said trim. Which, after all, was what the OP was asking.

I'm going back to bed...<G>

Ed Cregger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.