Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 12:44 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by red head
Boy, you may have just opened a real can of worms . I've got a couple to get rid of, what's the deal . Red
2.4ghz conversions. I'm a do it yourself type of guy.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:21 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Flyboy: Sounds like a good deal. Good luck with the venture. Sounds like way to much work to me ( 82 yrs ) ENJOY !!! RED
Old 10-14-2017, 01:23 PM
flyboy2610

Originally Posted by red head
Flyboy: Sounds like a good deal. Good luck with the venture. Sounds like way to much work to me ( 82 yrs ) ENJOY !!! RED
Thanks!
Old 10-18-2017, 04:14 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by ETpilot
Here is an update on my runway repair. The wild hogs are still active. Since my last hog picture, I trapped a female about two hundred pounds. So 9 total for the year so far. Neighbor's shot and killed a male 300 lbs with tusks. They had to remove it thru my property and use the access road. Yesterday, a neighbor called me because she had 6 hogs in her front yard. Hogs on the move.

I've been waiting for a good rain to do more work on the runway. That rain came yesterday afternoon. red head’s post about pallets for a drag jogged my brain a bit. I have some pallets and they do make good drags. I pulled one 6’ wide, cut some old telephone poles and tied them to the pallet.

Early this morning while everything was still wet, I scraped the high spots with the front end loader bucket. Then I attached the drag and just drove in circles about the area. I even when over the departure end of the runway where I had a few bad spots. The picture shows a lot of improvement. Looking better.

Thanks red head.

Next step will be remove the FEL to take weight off the tractor. Attach a section of weighted chain link fence to the pallet and smooth as much as possible.

Saw this and thought you might get a kick out of it,

Last edited by acdii; 10-18-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:17 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

OK it isn't posting the link

https ://www.facebook.com/NTDTelevision/videos/2415386991836730/
Old 10-18-2017, 06:20 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
OK it isn't posting the link

https ://www.facebook.com/NTDTelevision/videos/2415386991836730/
An RCU member, aspeed, posted that video on an engine thread I had. Here it is on YouTube.

I laugh every time I watch it. But they are so destructive.

Thanks.

BTW. Runway back active again. I tried a flight today but had an airplane,firewall, engine mount problem.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:26 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Here's one way to take care of a hog problem.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:47 AM
ETpilot

That trap is pretty impressive and for a large hog problem. Not easy to move I'm sure. What they do not show is how the hogs are loaded for transport. That is another part of the problem. Too cumbersome for my needs. My hog problem is hit and miss. They have not been back since I last saw them but trap is set and waiting.

Thanks for posting.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:48 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Does the slaughterhouse take wild pigs down where you are at ETpilot? I was just thinking if you could trap them that easy and in those numbers how long it would take the trap to pay for itself?
Old 10-19-2017, 07:30 AM
GallopingGhostler

In high school, 2nd poultry farm I worked at, farmer also raised pigs. I saw a regular large domestic boar in the pen jump a 6 foot fence during castration time. He was determined not to lose his manhood.

Here, Hogdini being smaller scaled the fence using the trap door at a slant to prop him. In my case, I saw this large bore jump it clearly, no scaling. I gained a different perspective on pigs after that.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:06 PM
ETpilot

From everything I've read on the hog forum, hogs are very smart and cautious animals. They get away if you are not careful. I've only lost one when making the change from trap to trailer. That little buddy slipped thru a narrow space and was a lightning bolt running across the pasture. He will be Leary of traps in the future. Trapping is a bit labor intensive. My box trap works for me as I move it easily where needed. I have set it up on my neighbor's property when they have had problems.

Flyer, there are Texas approved buyers in my area. A few years back I was trapping and selling. Prices are down now so not worth it unless you have a good load. I have neighbor's who take them for food. I give them the hogs and they give me a fair share. Works good for me.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:46 PM
Semi Retired Aviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taipan Trainer control line was my first with a Taipan diesel, I think about 2.5 cc, back in 1961 !!! I was about 11. It didn't last long, but the engine lived on, and was my first when I got back into the hobby in the mid 70's.

I took another break, and got back into it, again, in early 2000's.

The technology now is just fantastic, not too keen on electrics, and still love the sound of a 4 stroke and the smell of castor, although I use very little of it with synthetics being so good.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:19 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome Semi Retired Aviator from Australia. That TBM should be neat. Joe
Old 10-22-2017, 02:49 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Semi Retired Aviator
Taipan Trainer control line was my first with a Taipan diesel, I think about 2.5 cc, back in 1961 !!! I was about 11. It didn't last long, but the engine lived on, and was my first when I got back into the hobby in the mid 70's.

I took another break, and got back into it, again, in early 2000's.

The technology now is just fantastic, not too keen on electrics, and still love the sound of a 4 stroke and the smell of castor, although I use very little of it with synthetics being so good.
Welcome back into the active side of this addiction! what will you be flying now?
Old 10-22-2017, 08:04 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by gmeyers
thanks for the flowers as they used say the old CB days. Mind posting your progress once in a while on your endeavor??

Aside :: a contractor here did something similar but on a grander scale; he took some 3inch steel pipe and some heavy hose and built himself an enormous 3-D printer : he pumped cement through the hose to a nozzle and printed a house - not a mansion but made a great playhouse for his daughter. Certainly has potential for the construction industry.
cheers
Gary
I was searching for cnc components and ran across this and you came to mind.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cnc house.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	2242000  
Old 10-22-2017, 10:44 AM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by donnyman
I was searching for cnc components and ran across this and you came to mind.
Didn't the Egyptians 3D print the pyramids, why even now archaeologists marvel at how precise the rocks fit together?
Old 10-22-2017, 11:58 AM
flyboy2610

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Didn't the Egyptians 3D print the pyramids, why even now archaeologists marvel at how precise the rocks fit together?
I think they had some supernatural "help". knowhutimean, Vern?
Old 10-22-2017, 12:32 PM
GallopingGhostler

Old 10-22-2017, 06:51 PM
Semi Retired Aviator

Originally Posted by donnyman
Welcome back into the active side of this addiction! what will you be flying now?
Thanks Donny, good to be here.

I got back into the hobby this time with a Hobby King electric foamie, a Walrus https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykin...400mm-pnf.html It's basic, but has flaps, and I think an ideal platform to get back in after a long/ish break. I had plenty of practice on the simulator before I launched though.

Soon after that I bought another Hobby King electric product, a Tundra, https://hobbyking.com/en_us/durafly-...300mm-pnf.html It's an outstanding short field performer, with flaps, and can get airborne in just a few meters, nothing spectacular in the air, and STOL is its forte.

I'm a 'nitro head' though, and I think I'll always fly nitro engined aircraft as my first preference. I don't own any two strokes, and just prefer the sound of 4 strokes in flight.

I'm currently working on the PBM Martin Mariner (scaled down to 82" span from 104" because the larger wouldn't fit in my spare room in Japan!!), and not going ahead with the RCV 60-SP's, that I'd intended using, for a couple of reasons. I think they may have too much torque for the structure, and possibly damage the nacelles. They're geared 1:2, so swinging 13 X 13 four bladed props (look scale with the original full scale props 17 feet in diameter), there's the potential there for an unhappy outcome.

I briefly looked at converting it to electric, but there would be a cooling problem. The motors would be OK, but the ESC's would be in the fuselage, and that would involve major surgery to the fuse.

I'm going to use ASP .61 FS engines with 10 X 7 3 bladed props, not close to scale, but the best I'll be able to do. Unfortunately they will pop through the engine cowls, at the bottom since I will have them inverted, but fairly inconspicuous.

Additionally, I have in the hangar

an Extra 300S (No name ARF), 54" span with a Magnum .91 FS up front, one of my full on aerobatics machines,

a Steen Skybolt, 54" span, built from a kit, powered by an OS .91 FS, my second full on aerobatics aircraft,

a Kyosho Piper Cub (ARF), bought already built, about 52" span, with an OS .52 FS up front, a nice easy flyer, and one I like when I just want a relaxing day, doing not much more than flying circuits.

a Hangar 9 F4UCorsair about 54" span (ARF) with a Magnum .91 FS for power, a realistic looking war bird in flight,

a Swoose built from plans, 54" span, an ASP .91 FS for power, an elegant 'old timer', with interchangeable floats and wheels,

a Bird of Time (ARF), still in the box, and I intend converting it to electric so I don't need a bungee setup,

and a Classic Sport 40, ARF, still in the box, after picking it up at a closing down sale last year. I had one of these when I got back into RC flying on my last reincarnation. I'll take most of the dihedral out of the wing, and increase the size of the rudder, and I may electrify it. I've seen those mods done, and it makes a great aerobatics platform.

Sorry I've been so verbose answering a simple question!!

I'll update my profile and post pics as soon as I have time.

Last edited by Semi Retired Aviator; 10-22-2017 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:29 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

It appears that you like four-stokes SRA!
Old 10-22-2017, 10:30 PM
Semi Retired Aviator

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
It appears that you like four-stokes SRA!

Nothing like the throaty sound of a 4 stroke at high revs on a looooow (down on the deck) run!!
Old 10-23-2017, 01:25 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Talking of low passes, several years ago when I still lived in England, a large group of men from another club, joined our club because they had lost their flying field. They flew all the hours that were permitted, at least one model in the air at all time. Some thirteen year-old kid turned up with a Spitfire which his father had built.I told him that he'd made a good job of the weathering. He replied, "That's not weathering, the model is older than I am!" He then proceeded to show us how well he could fly. His flight ended on a high-speed low pass when he hit the runway with his propeller! The engine stopped and the model slithered to a stop on that large scoop on the Spitfire's undersides. A few more scratches were added to the model's "weathering!"
Old 10-23-2017, 02:27 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Semi Retired Aviator
Nothing like the throaty sound of a 4 stroke at high revs on a looooow (down on the deck) run!!
I'll second that emotion............................looks like you are set to tear up some sky!.............................happy flying to ya!
send us some pictures if you can.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:11 AM
ETpilot

Yesterday was a beautiful day. Sunny, not a cloud in the sky. Temperature got to 70 degrees. Hardly any wind. Great day to go flying. Did I go flying? No!!! It was also a great day to clean the chimney and stove. A no wind day is best as I have to open the house to the chimney. A nasty job that I do not like. But, it has to be done each year. I, do, get a little help from the birds. I have Chimney Sweeps that nest each year in the chimney. True name Chimney Swifts. Fun to hear them each summer. The babies make a racket during feeding time. It is entertaining to hear them. They also help clean the chimney are they travel up and down. Thus the local name Chimney Sweeps. The forecast for the weekend is near freezing weather. So I cleaned the chimney just in time. A hot stove will heat the house.

The weather today is more of the same as yesterday, with a favorable wind direction. Maybe I can fly today. I need to get more flight time in. I need to maiden an Ugly Stik that I build a while ago.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:30 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Is that your first Stik, if so then you are in for a treat when you decide to do your maiden flight, and if not then you already know just how great they fly. Do enjoy and tell us how it went.....remember a picture is worth a thousand words

Flew my G20 powered GP Big Stik 60 a few weeks ago for the first time in several months and came from the field with a great big smile on my face.

Last edited by karolh; 10-26-2017 at 08:33 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.