Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 07:20 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
Those Perma-grit sanders are fantastic. I have several different shapes and want more. They sand very fast yet it is easy to control them.
I am not sure what ROE is but what ever happened I am fond of the result, other than the death of innocence.

What we call war today is confusing to me since Vietnam, far too much political influence is involved, If I had control and dispatched forces to a war zone my generals would have one rule.... WIN, and end it NOW!
I like what was once said..... "Speak softly and carry a big stick" ..... I"ll add, don't be afraid to use the stick!

Sorry, ROE, Rules of Engagement. I also agree, if you are going to risk lives, do it to win it or don't do it at all. Problem with the Middle East, you don't know who is a combatant and who is innocent. It's not like WWII or Korea or Vietnam where you had a country you were at war with, these wars we have now are against groups that can be just about anywhere, and the sad part is, innocents get caught up in the middle and die, on both sides. Unfortunately, ISIS is like a Hydra, cut off one head, others take over, so until that faction of belief is wiped out, it will be a never ending war.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:22 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

ISIS is a Hydra, you cut off one head two more pop up.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:25 AM
acdii

Yep. Just have to get all the heads at once, at least that is the theory from Greek Mythology. Hmm, I wonder if a 7 headed Hydra can fly. Would make for one very interesting plane. Already know Pigs can fly, saw it first hand last week.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:31 AM
FlyerInOKC

There was a guy in a friends club in Thailand who built a flying Buffalo. Reminded me of the flying Snoopy's dog house and the flying lawn mower.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:42 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

acdii

Rules of engagement! I shoulda known that one, Do you think if we had left Sadam Hussein in a position of power he would have kept some of these nuts cases from rising to power? after he was removed all these nuts seemed to pop out of the wood work.

The mythological Hyda didn't have drones or satellites to contend with.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:55 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Back in 1973, I learned that balsa flew better. After a series of expensive one shot Cox RTF flights, I built and flew a Sterling Beginner's Eindecker with Cox .049 Babe Bee. I crashed it many times flying over mowed lawn grass with only having to straighten the music wire landing gear and sometimes aluminum motor mount (which Sterling replaced with a plastic nylon one later).

I've rediscovered CL flight with the larger aircraft, which are more fun. I've been dragging my feet lately, but found that my 42" Sterling Ringmaster on 50' lines a worthy flyer with mucho fun. Disfruto definitivamente. (I definitely enjoy it.)
I have been of the same mind lately but as usual something cramps my style, but I have several c/l birds.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:57 AM
FlyerInOKC

I'm still not certain we did the correct thing take Sadam Insane out. We created a vacuum and the the nut cases he suppressed came out of hiding. The Syria revolution created the same type of vacuum too. The Middle East keeps getting more and more unstable, it really has me studying the Revelation of John a lot closer.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:03 AM
FlyerInOKC

Getting back to the subject of airplanes, did you guys see this article?

https://www.defenseone.com/technolog...drones/160746/
Old 10-29-2019, 09:29 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by donnyman
acdii

Rules of engagement! I shoulda known that one, Do you think if we had left Sadam Hussein in a position of power he would have kept some of these nuts cases from rising to power? after he was removed all these nuts seemed to pop out of the wood work.

The mythological Hyda didn't have drones or satellites to contend with.
Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I'm still not certain we did the correct thing take Sadam Insane out. We created a vacuum and the the nut cases he suppressed came out of hiding. The Syria revolution created the same type of vacuum too. The Middle East keeps getting more and more unstable, it really has me studying the Revelation of John a lot closer.

Agree on all counts with both of yous guys.

Getting back to the subject of airplanes, did you guys see this article?

https://www.defenseone.com/technolog...drones/160746/
Now thats a good use of a drone. 79 mile round trip? Pretty good too, wonder what batteries they used.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:36 AM
FlyerInOKC

I don't know but if they fly high enough they would be hard to see and even harder to hit with ground fire.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:43 AM
acdii

The fact it is only a 7' wing span , flying body and can fly in just about any condition, makes it one heck of a plane.

This is where AMA needs to get their shizz together. Make a clear and well defined separation between model aircraft and drones. Line of sight vs non line of sight. Exempt line of sight from all FAA restrictions like they have been for the past 70 some years, and put the restrictions they want on the non line of sight "drones" that this particular one falls under. I know that would make a lot of us happy.

Last edited by acdii; 10-29-2019 at 09:44 AM. Reason: I am so confused by what I wrote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:02 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by acdii
The fact it is only a 7' wing span , flying body and can fly in just about any condition, makes it one heck of a plane.

This is where AMA needs to get their shizz together. Make a clear and well defined separation between model aircraft and drones. Line of sight vs non line of sight. Exempt line of sight from all FAA restrictions like they have been for the past 70 some years, and put the restrictions they want on the non line of sight "drones" that this particular one falls under. I know that would make a lot of us happy.
Be careful there fella talking common sense to the feds will only confuse them and increase the level of dumb a--

OH yea! as far as drones go ...you ain't seen nuttin yet.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:40 PM
acdii

I'll let AMA talk to the Feds, I want AMA to do the separation, make it clear and concise. Leave us Modelers alone!
Old 10-30-2019, 06:17 AM
FlyerInOKC

Well it looks like winter is showing up, Its cold, wet, overcast, and in the low 30s today. The low for tonight is 25 our first hard freeze. Building season is upon us!
Old 10-30-2019, 09:41 AM
acdii

Expecting 2-6 inches tonight into tomorrow here. Hello November
Old 10-30-2019, 11:01 AM
FlyerInOKC

Snow or rain? Part of western Oklahoma has already had one snowstorm that had drifts up to 3 feet.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:10 AM
acdii

Snow. We already had the 6" of rain, twice this year.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:14 AM
FlyerInOKC

Sounds like winter is coming to Illinois too. I still remember from when I was a kid Halloween was always the coldest day of October. Looks like it will be again this year.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:19 AM
Papasal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just COLD right now in Northern NV 12:15pm and it's only 32 Degrees......Counting down to post 11......This is post 9......LOL And counting down to some precept. It's cold and dry. We need rain, we're just like California a HUGE tinder box! For us it's not maybe but when will some foolish person light us up?
Old 10-30-2019, 11:38 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Papasal
Just COLD right now in Northern NV 12:15pm and it's only 32 Degrees......Counting down to post 11......This is post 9......LOL And counting down to some precept. It's cold and dry. We need rain, we're just like California a HUGE tinder box! For us it's not maybe but when will some foolish person light us up?
The one thing you can't fix is stupid!
Old 10-30-2019, 12:40 PM
Desertlady

Default Help

Well my hubby is a old buzzard but I’m older 🥴 he has been looking for a plane called a Cricket, do any of you gentlemen know where I might start looking so Santa could bring it for him. Then he was going though his radio clearing out old planes for some reason he no longer has and he found a plane called a “Buzz”. I told him if he can’t remember what it is he better not try and fly it lol thanks
Old 10-30-2019, 12:41 PM
Papasal

The one thing you can't fix is stupid!
AMEN!!! All it's gonna take is someone to go target shooting. Or burn without getting a permit...That's happened a few times here. Even had a controlled burn,...well...get out of control and burn some houses and lives down. I don't what happened to common sense; but it sure is hard to find these days.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:48 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It is getting colder here in Texas. Today I finished the nasty cleaning if my stove air box and stove pipe. Going down to 29* Thursday. May light the first fire Friday morning. Just morning warm ups for now. Steady burning later.

I’ve made the temporary move from the World of Balsa to the World of Foam. Going to make a foamy electric profile airplane. Something new to be learned.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:54 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Desertlady
Well my hubby is a old buzzard but I’m older 🥴 he has been looking for a plane called a Cricket, do any of you gentlemen know where I might start looking so Santa could bring it for him. Then he was going though his radio clearing out old planes for some reason he no longer has and he found a plane called a “Buzz”. I told him if he can’t remember what it is he better not try and fly it lol thanks
The best I can do is point you to some possible plans.

https://aerofred.com/search.php?sear...&submit=Search

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4067
Old 10-30-2019, 01:02 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Desertlady
Go to Outerzone, https://outerzone.co.uk, search for Cricket. There are 2 plans there. Also search for Buzz. There are several models with Buzz in the name. These are free plans only and models have to be built. Building is a wonderful pastime for us old buzzards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.