Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 12:17 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Yep and that horse faced pelosi has a chance to become speaker and bring everything to a standstill once again. Isn't America Great!
Old 11-05-2018, 12:54 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Yep and that horse faced pelosi has a chance to become speaker and bring everything to a standstill once again. Isn't America Great!
You'll notice the same pushing for doing away with the electoral college and for popular vote. This would mean that the largest cities would determine the outcome and the rest of the country wouldn't make a difference. Yet, the 2016 election shows a different result.

BetaNews What we learned from predicting the 2016 US presidential election

By land mass, the country's vote surprised the DNC as to who was the preferred candidate.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:23 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I think the electoral college is way past its usefulness. The popular vote should decide the outcome of an election. This is how a true democracy is defined. The majority should rule. The politicians talk about getting rid of it but sit on their hands. The spineless idiots don't want to give up anything that might work to their advantage.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:56 PM
acdii

The US is NOT, repeat, NOT a democracy! It is a Federal Republic and a constitutional representative democracy, and is the reason why we have the electoral college! It is there to prevent the rule of one, which is what will happen when big cities cast the vote and leave the rest of the country by the way side. If the EC were to be removed, then you can kiss the Constitution goodbye starting with the 2nd amendment. The 1st amendment is already heavily at risk thanks to political correctness and how everyone is now afraid to speak their minds without risk.

Constitutional FAQ Answer #76

Q76. "Is the United States a constitutional republic? Is one of the purposes of a constitutional republic to protect the rights of minorities from the tyranny of the majority?"

A. The United States is a federal republic and a constitutional representative democracy.

The "federal" part is one of three basic types of organization of power — unitary, confederal, and federal. Most nations are unitary in nature (local government with a powerful national government). There are no confederacies that I know of at this time (the U.S., under the Articles of Confederation was one; Germany and Switzerland have also had confederate systems in the past). Federal systems are common among large nations where several levels of government are needed. Australia, Canada, and Brazil are federal as well. Federations do not always work, such as in the case of the United Arab Republic.

The "republic" implies that we have a strong head of state (the President) and elected officials representing the people.

The "constitutional" part means that we have a constitution, which is pretty obvious, considering this site. Finally, the "representative democracy" part means that the people elect representatives to take care of legislative matters. Originally, the only part of the government that fit this description was the House of Representatives. Today, the Senate does, too, and in current practice, so does the Electoral College.

The mere fact that a nation has a constitution, is a federation, or is a republic, does not imply that minorities are fairly treated. It is the content of that constitution, and the values of that federation and/or republic that protects the rights of minorities

.Note that a democracy, in the true sense of the word, does not protect the minority — majority rules.
https://www.usconstitution.net/constfaq_q76.html
Old 11-05-2018, 04:50 PM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yikes all i was going to say wake me up when trump goes away ha just kidding anyways I will not got to electrics as you have to have lots of batteries and where I fly there is no electricity unless you have a generator. I am builder not someone who assembles ARFs Barrfs etc and I am not interested in going faster than hell. As long as I got a source for glow fuel I am fine and dandy. I am not as old as some of you gentlemen on this thread who started building model airplanes when they where very young. Michael Johnston
Old 11-05-2018, 05:04 PM
Mad Man Marko-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I listen to people all the time supposedly highly educated college grads and even a professor buddy of mine who claim that the system is rigged so they do not vote. People the only time my disability income has the same power as the millionaire's across town is when we are in the voting booth. If you don't agree with something vote against it if it is your kind of motion vote for it. Do the same for people but everybody must vote to make our system work. Those that don't vote can't *****. If you care at all about our country and our future get out tomorrow and vote. If you couldn't get out I hope you voted early or by absentee ballot. But get out and vote. There are tremendous amounts of markers in cemeteries from sea to shine sea of men and women who died to ensure we have this right so lets not forget them and make sure we all use it. My alarm is set for 5:00AM to get to the polls before they open. I'll be there 20 minutes ahead of time.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:07 PM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I think the electoral college is way past its usefulness. The popular vote should decide the outcome of an election. This is how a true democracy is defined. The majority should rule. The politicians talk about getting rid of it but sit on their hands. The spineless idiots don't want to give up anything that might work to their advantage.
The majority in large cities feel that model airplanes are too noisy and a safety hazard to the public. Thus John Q. Farmer needs to be careful how he flies his airplanes on his farm. This is democracy. Regardless of whether right or wrong, since it is right for those living in densely populated cities is right for those living in more sparse locations.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:30 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

England is a very crowded country with most people living in towns or cities. It is also a democracy where the majority elects the government, most of the time anyway, but I don't think English city dwellers plan to ban our hobby. While every year a few flying fields are lost, clubs usually find somewhere else to fly and though I'm not a great enthusiast for electric flight, there is no doubt that the growth of electric flight has saved quite a few flying fields or at least reduced the propensity for opponents to complain about noise.

The most urbanised nation on earth is Australia. It is also a democracy where voting is compulsory. I don't think that the future of the hobby is at risk there. Mind you, outside the big cities there's plenty of space for us to play in in Australia!
Old 11-06-2018, 01:15 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
This is what I have been thinking about for the last few months.

Wind project would block private runway, end man?s lifelong hobby - Parsons Sun: News
Hi Joe, I am sorry to hear what you are going through. I live over in Chanute and may have seen you flying the cub before while I take the cut across from Thayer to Parsons.

I have had my wings RC clipped. Chanute is class E and since the new regulation took effect, the FBO manager will not allow any RC flying with the 10 mile radius. We used to have a field in the industrial park that the city has now closed and I have a private strip right on the edge of the 10 mile mark.

I now started traveling to Pittsburg to fly to avoid the risks and red tape of flying at home.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:40 AM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
England is a very crowded country with most people living in towns or cities. It is also a democracy where the majority elects the government, most of the time anyway, but I don't think English city dwellers plan to ban our hobby. While every year a few flying fields are lost, clubs usually find somewhere else to fly and though I'm not a great enthusiast for electric flight, there is no doubt that the growth of electric flight has saved quite a few flying fields or at least reduced the propensity for opponents to complain about noise. The most urbanised nation on earth is Australia. It is also a democracy where voting is compulsory. I don't think that the future of the hobby is at risk there. Mind you, outside the big cities there's plenty of space for us to play in in Australia!
Did a little statistical comparison between countries and came up with the following:

UK, population 66,573,504 is 94,060 square miles or 708 people/sq. mi. UK is 57% the size of California and 2.5% the size of US with a population 1/5th of US.
US, population 326,766,748 is 3,794,101 square miles or 86 people/sq. mi.
AU is 2,941,299 square miles, or 8.4 people/sq.mi.

Given the size and close proximity of the population of the UK would make governance less complex than that of the US. Yes, AU has plenty of play space.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:23 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

I am disappointed that you said that, does it help to name call? why is it good for one and not the other? in the last Ten years many "standstills" where done Then not spoken of when it suits a persons purpose. it was also said that we will do everything in our power to make the president fail! when he fails we all fail. This nation is divided enough because it is a my way (party) right or wrong.

I vote trying to get the best person for all. devisive, negative, demeaning talk and actions hurts everyone. The devotion to one Party one way without consideration of others will be our downfall.

Remember the best way to destroy is to divide the masses, the current temperment in this country is making our downfall possible. We need to work together!
Old 11-07-2018, 01:09 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

I was idly watching a documentary about the Hawker Typhoon aeroplane on YouTube last week. This aircraft was originally designed as a fighter but its high altitude performance proved disappointing so it was used as a ground attack aircraft, besides, once it was widely deployed after D-Day, there weren't many German fighters in France for it to confront. It was used to attack targets on the ground with its guns, bombs and rockets.Among the old pilots interviewed was a man called Sir Kenneth Adam. I doubt whether his parents chose the name "Kenneth" for him as a baby because he was born in Berlin in 1921 to a German Jewish couple! His father owned a fashionable clothing business in the middle of Berlin so he had a priviledged background.

In 1934, the year after Hitler came to power they moved to London. By 1939 they were judged to be "friendly aliens" and they were not interred. Kenneth spent a year or two in the Pioneer Corps of the British Army, but in 1941 he was transferred to the RAF. Pilot training took place in Canada and Florida and by 1944 he was supporting British ground troops by shooting up enemy positions in his Typhoon.

Having studied architecture before the war he worked designing film sets after the war and got his knighthood for designing many of the futuristic sets used in the James Bond films.He was called "Heine," by his comrades and even when he was interviewed for the documentary, decades after the war had ended he still spoke English with a pronounced German accent! He was one of three Germans who flew as pilots with the RAF in WW2. One of the other two was his brother!

Mr Wheeler from the end of our street also flew the Typhoon during the war. He was a train driver.

This is the film. http://https://www.youtube.com/watch...P5xGSI&t=1034s
Old 11-07-2018, 01:40 PM
FlyerInOKC

I couldn't get it the link above to work but I think I found it. Was it clled Typhoon At War?

Old 11-07-2018, 04:15 PM
acdii

Originally Posted by donnyman
I am disappointed that you said that, does it help to name call? why is it good for one and not the other? in the last Ten years many "standstills" where done Then not spoken of when it suits a persons purpose. it was also said that we will do everything in our power to make the president fail! when he fails we all fail. This nation is divided enough because it is a my way (party) right or wrong.

I vote trying to get the best person for all. devisive, negative, demeaning talk and actions hurts everyone. The devotion to one Party one way without consideration of others will be our downfall.

Remember the best way to destroy is to divide the masses, the current temperment in this country is making our downfall possible. We need to work together!
Because she makes me sick, just as much as that arse madigan in IL does. There is something psychologically wrong with her. Now IL has another candidate for Prison elected as gov. Chicago elected another racist tax cheat.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:50 PM
FlyerInOKC

Chicago elected another racist tax cheat.
So he's like Trump?!
Old 11-07-2018, 06:27 PM
acdii

So he's like Trump?!
Worse, at least trump ran a business. This guy just lived off daddies money and didn't have a meaningful job in his life.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:49 PM
FlyerInOKC

Worse, at least trump ran a business. This guy just lived off daddies money and didn't have a meaningful job in his life.
Still the same. Trump was a multimillionaire at age 8 from his daddy's money.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:30 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

I couldn't get it the link above to work but I think I found it. Was it clled Typhoon At War?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KFQ2P5xGSI
Yes it was.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:42 AM
donnyman

The typhoon was never one of my favorites but the story of it was very interesting and informative. It was a brute of a machine. It's beginnings started somewhat like the P-51 (altitude deficient)...................... Thanks for the info.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:50 AM
donnyman

It is said the TRUTH will set you free, .......................... But you must first open your eyes to it. ........................................... my way or the highway will always fail.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:11 AM
FlyerInOKC

The Typhoon is an interesting airplane but I still prefer the Spitfire. I would have picked the Typhoon over the Sea Fury but couldn't find the kit. I bought the TF Sea Fury after it was discontinued. My LHS had a special order that didn't get picked up.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:01 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Referring to my Post 6402, I eventually got a password, logged into the FFAM's website, watched four videos which urged me not to fly over hospitals, or to photograph people on the groumd without their permission. Then I was asked about twenty questions with multiple choice answers. I got them all right except for one, some of my French colleagues got more than one wrong, in their native language too! Having changed that answer I passed and have been issued with a couple of small certificates to be kept with my FFAM membership card. I currently have about twelve models in flying condition. Each one will be issued with a number which must be legible from a distance of 30 cms. The club is going to buy a machine to print out the numbers.

If I wanted to buy a drone in order to drop a bomb on a barracks, drop drugs into a prison, take pictures of fifteen year-old girls sunbathing, or in order to deliberately fly it into an airliner on landing approach at Orly, I'd be sure to register it wouldn't I?

Come to think of it, I could do all of those things with my Senior Telemaster!
Old 11-09-2018, 05:40 AM
FlyerInOKC

And now the NSA after intercepting the content of your post have alerted the Gendarmerie who will be there shortly to pick you up for interrogation!
Old 11-09-2018, 10:52 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Referring to my Post 6402, I eventually got a password, logged into the FFAM's website, watched four videos which urged me not to fly over hospitals, or to photograph people on the groumd without their permission. Then I was asked about twenty questions with multiple choice answers. I got them all right except for one, some of my French colleagues got more than one wrong, in their native language too! Having changed that answer I passed and have been issued with a couple of small certificates to be kept with my FFAM membership card. I currently have about twelve models in flying condition. Each one will be issued with a number which must be legible from a distance of 30 cms. The club is going to buy a machine to print out the numbers.

If I wanted to buy a drone in order to drop a bomb on a barracks, drop drugs into a prison, take pictures of fifteen year-old girls sunbathing, or in order to deliberately fly it into an airliner on landing approach at Orly, I'd be sure to register it wouldn't I?

Come to think of it, I could do all of those things with my Senior Telemaster!
We are expecting that testing as you described is how our FAA will administer it. Just something that legally binds you and shows them that you have enough knowledge so they can throw the book at you when you do a minor infraction.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:27 PM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi, back in the 1980's I and the small group of guys that I belong to (less than 5) got kicked off our local flying field which was a small local airport in Oswego Kansas by the FAA. I was informed that we where in unauthorised area and was told to put my airplane up and go home. The group had been flying our RC airplanes out there for more than 10 years. To make a long story short we moved over to old Army Air Core field about 25 miles away and then we moved up to a lake on the north west side of Parsons Kansas. I moved away and joined the military and when I came back a few years later my friend had gotten permission for us to fly at this airport again. The only stipulation was that we had to keep a portable air band radio to hear incoming air traffic. Now that I don't live there anymore and I hear that no one flys model airplanes out there anymore. It was a great place to learn how to fly and now it is just a memory.
Thank You
Michael Johnston

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.