Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 09:29 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I dabble a little in electric occasionally but don't know a whole lot about it. I can recommend checking these guys out. Heads Up RC If you go to their motor section you will find they will list maximum recommend model weights for each motor along with propeller tests to indicate what a motor will draw in amps, watts, and thrust provided with a specific prop battery combination. For us guys not too well versed in electrics it helps. The prices and shipping charge are very reasonable and they have specials on a weekly basis. They do a good job of explaining the difference between a ESC with Switchmode BEC and an ESC with linear BEC. I prefer using their ESCs with Switchmode BEC. Their micro servos are great quality and very reasonable too.

Mike
Old 11-20-2018, 05:11 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for that link. I browsed the site a bit. It has good info. I’m slowly learning electric power. I’m going to order some really cheap stuff this first go around. I’ll make a mock-up and test things out. If anything burns up, not a big loss. I went by my favorite furniture store and rummaged thru the trash pile. I find a lot of useful things there. I found 2 pieces of thick foam which will make good wings. I got some extra pieces for foam cutting practice. Will work on this plane a little at a time. Drawing it out will be next. WS 42” fuselage 31”. Should be fun if it works out.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:33 PM
FlyerInOKC

I'm glad you like the site. I got the link from several guys on the WattFlyer board its the only place they buy anymore.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:13 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

I've had any expensive month of it and it's not over yet!

I bought a wreath for the Armistice commemorations which cost me 66€, though I did have contributions amounting to 20€ from other expatriates. I bought a round for the volunteer fire brigade after the ceremony, that cost me a further 80€. Then I filled the fuel tank of the van. That cost 99€. I will convert all of these prices to Sterling and to US Dollars later on but for those who are too impatient, 1€ = £1.12 Sterling, and £1 = 0.89€. 1€ =$1.14US and $1US= 0.88€. On top of that I have paid two local taxes which amounted to 1299€, 215€ for 50 litres of paint, 119€ for last year's sewage and refuse collection, 64€ for annual model aeroplane club fees and affiliation to the national body, and 132€ for balsa wood for this winter's projects. I am anticipating the water rates soon.

That little lot cost me 2074€ or £1846 Sterling or $2364 US! However, this is not my main point.

I was beginning to run low on cheques. I don't use my cheque book that often, only for big bills, so that I've got a paper record of the payment. I phoned my bank and asked them to send me a new check book. They had sent me a cheque book last year but it went to my old address and it was returned to them. I bank with a section of Credit Agricole called Britline. Their office is based in Caen, Normandy and I use Britline because I am able to talk to their staff in English. My French is pretty good but I am confused by both English and French banking terminology. The young man on the end of the phone promised to send me a cheque book as soon as I had filled in duplicates of an "Auto Certificate de Residence Fiscale." Even translated into English I needed to know what "tax resident" meant. My pension is paid by the British government and I pay income tax on that. I live in France, I pay local taxes and of course I pay a sales tax, Value Added Tax, on just about anything I buy, so am I "tax resident" in France or"tax resident" in the UK. I was told that for the purposes of the form, I was tax resident in the UK and was asked to write my British National Insurance Number in the relevant section of the form, then I had to confirm that I was not an American citizen! If I had been an American citizen, I would have had a further section of the form to fill in.

Having filled in two copies of the form, I wrote out a covering letter asking for a cheque book and posted everything off.

Big Brother is watching you?

No not me, you blokes, you in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave!
Old 11-22-2018, 06:48 PM
Scorpionjack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Only as Old as I feel

Seems I fit this category as when I was born father still had nitro on his hands flying Combat in Waco TX 1952. He put me on a handle in 1957, flew junior competition in hawaii, New Hampshire and Georgia. Went into the Army Nov 22 69 Vietnam shortly there after. Flew Stunt in Korea 1980. Started flying RC 1985 started on a Falcon 56 with a K&B 40. Progressed flying Pattern and Q500 barely touching my UC. After 11 Radios, 100+ motors 50,+ Acft taught a young man that I'm very proud of. 1 yr of building and flying his mother drove him Canada every weekend. The old adage student surpasses the teacher came true. Chad Northeast became a fabulous young man and a great RC pilot. Left for Germany for 7 years and now I'm retired playing around with Electrics. Well my friends sorry got a little long winded. I now build and fly for me and I turn items on the lathe and laser engrave. www.facebook.com/scorpionjacks1 Scorpionjacks Exotic Wood Products and Custom Laser Engraving here in Spring Creek North Carolina
Old 11-22-2018, 07:02 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Scorpionjack nice to have you come on board. I just visited your website and wow.... you sure do some really impressive engraving work. Really wish I was located a lot closer to you.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:23 PM
Scorpionjack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by karolh
Scorpionjack nice to have you come on board. I just visited your website and wow.... you sure do some really impressive engraving work. Really wish I was located a lot closer to you.
thanks doesn't matter where you live I can send it...
Old 11-25-2018, 07:30 AM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Whyat happend to our thread

I don't know if any one can read this.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:27 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I can Joe!

Rainy day here.

A good day to do some building.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:45 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
I don't know if any one can read this.
I can!
Old 11-29-2018, 08:14 AM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ET pilot : You might want to check out " Blue Foam " . I use it for my foam builds as it's a bit stiffer and works real easy, you can even sand it with a little care . Sometimes you can find a broken piece and get a discount on it . ( home depot / Lowes ) . I have a flying disc.and a Moon Star that I built back in the 70's / 80's and covered with Monokote that is still in good shape. I like working with it because it works easy and doesn't make to big a mess and as said above it is a bit firmer then th white stuff, haven't tried the pink yet . ENJOY Red
Old 11-29-2018, 02:16 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks Red, actually I have some left over blue foam from a dog house project. I used it to make an airplane canopy and covered it in Chinakote. It came out ok but would like to make a clear plastic one to replace it. I plan to work with blue foam later.

For now, I’m using some white styrofoam I picked it up at a furniture store. Cut the wings and make a profile airplane. Just to see how it comes out. I made some practice wings a long time ago. I covered them with paper and they turned out quite strong. That is what I have in mind now. Just experimentation.

Here is a picture of my old wing. Picture may show just the top cut, not sure can’t remember. Fixed the missing piece then covered in paper for strength. I was really impressed. Then I set foam aside until now. Will see how it turns out. Just something new.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:57 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I sure don't like this lay out. when someone makes a post I like to look at there album I cant seem to do that know bummer.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:16 PM
Instructor
My Feedback: (16)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
I sure don't like this lay out. when someone makes a post I like to look at there album I cant seem to do that know bummer.
I think you might have to use the quote button. I just clicked on your post using the quote button and lets see....

Instructor
Old 12-02-2018, 06:01 AM
imcrazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just turned 51. I didn't think I was old until I found this group. haha. My first was purchased at Caldors . I don't remember the name of the plane but I would run to that isle every time my mom whent to the store. Finally saved the money to buy it. I never installed the engine or covered it but I finished the airframe I remembered my parents were amazed I built it with no help. I was about 10 and no one in my family had interest in model planes so I don't know where it came from. but I am still at it.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:47 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

At fifty-one you are not old!
Old 12-03-2018, 05:18 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
At fifty-one you are not old!
Yeah, you're not old until you reach Telemaster's age!
Old 12-03-2018, 05:38 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Yeah, you're not old until you reach Telemaster's age!
Seventy-one in March!
Old 12-03-2018, 05:40 AM
FlyerInOKC

Won't be long now when you relatives will start picking the memory unit to move you into!

I'm sorry to hear about all that trouble in Paris, I hope the new gasoline taxes doesn't eat into your ability to travel.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:54 AM
red head

I wish you KIDS would stop fighting. 83 Red
Old 12-03-2018, 09:07 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by red head
I wish you KIDS would stop fighting. 83 Red
But if we don't poke fun at each other who would we poke fun at? We are Baby Boomers we can dish it out and take it too, and we're all great builders!
Old 12-03-2018, 09:28 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Won't be long now when you relatives will start picking the memory unit to move you into!

I'm sorry to hear about all that trouble in Paris, I hope the new gasoline taxes doesn't eat into your ability to travel.
I've done my travelling. I'm quite happy to stay here.

Mind you, the weather has been very depressing over the last few days. I might take a plane to New Zealand after Christmas.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:45 AM
FlyerInOKC

My kids like to tease me they have already picked out my nursing home. I counter with I'm going to move in with them and be an embarrassment to my grandchildren.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:54 PM
red head

If all goes WELL it's a heck of a trip, ENJOY it while you can. RED
Old 12-03-2018, 05:23 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

My kids like to tease me they have already picked out my nursing home. I counter with I'm going to move in with them and be an embarrassment to my grandchildren.
We might struggle with that, because we are spending their inheritance now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.