Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

RCU has a new owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 09:33 PM
Live Wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCU has a new owner

Read between the LINES it is not just RCU
Old 11-29-2007, 10:31 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Good Job to RCU!

BUT...I would like to congratulate the many members that make this site what it is, and worthy of being bought. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 12-11-2007, 01:35 AM
Botle Rocket War

ORIGINAL: RCadmin

No change in member structure. Same one we always have had is the one we continue to use. Click UPGRADE for more info. this system same on in place for 4+ years now. Works fine. No reason to change.

mv
Marc,

I just stopped by here to see what was new (and if my account still worked) and I came across this thread.

I've got to hand it to you... You kept this place essentially the same since the first day I signed on. I always thought membership would end up costing money, even years ago when things really started to grow, but it never happened, just like you said. This website has turned into an intergral part of the hobby. I never thought this would turn into what its become and obviously it wouldn't have happened without you. So I have to say, congratulations!

I'm curious... How close is this to what you imagined the day you created this website? Did you really think things would get so big?
Old 12-11-2007, 11:30 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks much for the kind words everyone.

BRW - when I started the site I had no idea it would turn into what it is today. I just wanted a place to buy and sell (mostly buy) rc stuff without having to wait 5 minutes for RC Online (the big site at the time) to load every single page. I offered back then to help Ed (owner of RCO) for free to host his site at n/c and assist in the DB just so I wouldn't have to wait. He said he knew what he was doing and basically didn't want any help. Months went by and pages still took 5 minutes to load (or error out) so I started RCU and the rest as they say is history.

Also, Kaango.com was born out of the technology and business concepts that we developed on RC Universe. That site also was part of the transaction that just occured.

marc
Old 12-11-2007, 12:17 PM
benc008

How did you find the buyer for RCU and Kaango?
Old 12-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Thanks much for the kind words everyone.

BRW - when I started the site I had no idea it would turn into what it is today. I just wanted a place to buy and sell (mostly buy) rc stuff without having to wait 5 minutes for RC Online (the big site at the time) to load every single page. I offered back then to help Ed (owner of RCO) for free to host his site at n/c and assist in the DB just so I wouldn't have to wait. He said he knew what he was doing and basically didn't want any help. Months went by and pages still took 5 minutes to load (or error out) so I started RCU and the rest as they say is history.

Also, Kaango.com was born out of the technology and business concepts that we developed on RC Universe. That site also was part of the transaction that just occured.

marc
Marc - just guessing, but was the majority of the equity in Kaango.com?
Old 12-11-2007, 01:03 PM
mvigod
Banned

I cannot expand on some of the questions reagarding specifics of this deal due to non-disclosure agreements
Old 12-11-2007, 01:07 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Understood.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:44 PM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: benc008

Probably in the Market Place here. Everything I put there sure sells [sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 12-14-2007, 11:56 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hill202

ORIGINAL: benc008

Probably in the Market Place here. Everything I put there sure sells [sm=bananahead.gif]
Yeah man, I saw that plot on the moon you sold. Wow, that was amazing......
Old 12-15-2007, 01:29 AM
benc008

Hill202,

What have you sold in the marketplace?
Old 12-15-2007, 09:37 PM
_nun45

marc, as you probably know i haven't been here in a few years since our parting, but i congratulate you and wish you the best!---henry
Old 12-17-2007, 03:00 AM
trustfriend0
Banned

wish you best... haha
Old 12-17-2007, 10:18 AM
mvigod
Banned

Thanks all.

marc
Old 12-17-2007, 03:10 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Correct. RCU and Kaango (both formerly owned by me and my partner Michael) sold 80% to Hearst and Media News Group. Michael and I are both staying on and collectively still have an ownership stake.

From a member perspective and client (i.e. our advertisers) perspective nothing will change other than us having additional resources to improve the site (both technically and in content) at a more rapid pace. All the same people that were here before the sale are still here after the sale in same functional roles. We intend on bringing on some full time support staff to increase our already fast response times.

We are excited about this news and how it will act as a catalyst to give us the ability to help bolster our services to our visitors and members. I'm looking forward to working hard on making RCU even better in the coming years as I have for the past seven years since its birth.

Marc

You did real good! I remember when you broke the 25,000 record.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:12 PM
_nun45

dude, i remember during the wars when rcu broke 1000, that really got tongues rattling all over!---henry
Old 12-19-2007, 10:35 PM
mvigod
Banned

we've come a long way...much further than I could have ever possibly envisioned. I hope the next 7 years show much progress for the members and are as much fun as the first 7 were
Old 12-24-2007, 04:24 AM
BillHarris

RCO and Flightlines... now that brings back memories. Not great memories, but memories nonetheless.

Congrats!

--Bill
Old 12-30-2007, 10:51 PM
Botle Rocket War

ORIGINAL: BillHarris

RCO and Flightlines... now that brings back memories. Not great memories, but memories nonetheless.
Somehow we need to find everyone that used to hang around Flightlines and have an online get-together of some sort. After the first few years of RCU, you would come across a lot of old members from RC Watch. Now I don't see a whole lot...

Lots of memories!
Old 12-30-2007, 11:00 PM
_nun45

hey brian! they have their own site now called hanger flying. not a whole lot of activity in all but one or two forums, but most of those guys are there.---henry