Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

WARNING: Banana Hobby

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 03:38 PM
drive2survive
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WARNING: Banana Hobby

ohya some of these chinese outifts are getting worse and worse, you read about it all the time! if ya want quality service and customer satisfaction
go to headsuprc.com
Old 05-19-2021, 05:52 AM
use2busa

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fellas I wish I had known about banana hobby before I decided to take a leap into the rc flying universe. I ordered their trainer cesna 182 and got it yesterday. What a mess. The plane is junk. I cant even list all thats wrong with it. And I dont think I will get my money back if I send it back. And I would have to pay for that too. By the time I ship it back the cost for that alone is probably $30 or so. When I called the guy answered the phone like he was at home getting a call from someone he knew. Not like an actual hobby store. The battery connecters to the plane were different. the nose cone on the prob barely had enough threads showing to tighten it down. And I doubt it will hold. No instructions. Oh wait yes but it was terrible CHINESE translation to English. screws did not seem to go in solid and secure. I think Im screwed on this one. Expensive lesson. Suckers like me that dont know what they are looking at. All I need is a very good hobby store on line I can depend on. Not a CHINESE communist run company with second rate slave labor products. The only thing worth keeping is the transmitter. Basic generic 6ch but it looks like it will at least work for me for now. If anyone can offer any suggestions to help me get into this hobby I'm all ears.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:16 AM
TimT2000
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by use2busa
Fellas I wish I had known about banana hobby before I decided to take a leap into the rc flying universe. I ordered their trainer cesna 182 and got it yesterday. What a mess. The plane is junk. I cant even list all thats wrong with it. And I dont think I will get my money back if I send it back. And I would have to pay for that too. By the time I ship it back the cost for that alone is probably $30 or so. When I called the guy answered the phone like he was at home getting a call from someone he knew. Not like an actual hobby store. The battery connecters to the plane were different. the nose cone on the prob barely had enough threads showing to tighten it down. And I doubt it will hold. No instructions. Oh wait yes but it was terrible CHINESE translation to English. screws did not seem to go in solid and secure. I think Im screwed on this one. Expensive lesson. Suckers like me that dont know what they are looking at. All I need is a very good hobby store on line I can depend on. Not a CHINESE communist run company with second rate slave labor products. The only thing worth keeping is the transmitter. Basic generic 6ch but it looks like it will at least work for me for now. If anyone can offer any suggestions to help me get into this hobby I'm all ears.
Motion RC is a great website with pretty good airplanes
Old 05-19-2021, 06:31 AM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by use2busa
Wow! So sorry to learn. I just rid of two high wing trainers (Sig LT-40 and Sig Senorita EP). I would have sent them to you just for the shipping costs. I do hope this does not discourage you from continuing with the hobby.

Wish you better luck.

guapo
Old 05-19-2021, 06:56 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TimT2000
Motion RC is a great website with pretty good airplanes
Ditto, and also Graves RC. Both are ran by folks with a compassion to RC and seem to treat you as if you are in the LHS.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:30 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by scottrc
Ditto, and also Graves RC. Both are ran by folks with a compassion to RC and seem to treat you as if you are in the LHS.
I can't go to Orlando without stopping by Graves.

We were at Universal and I made a quick trip over and the wife was "I knew something about this trip would turn into RC!"

It's quite the candy store for RC junkies
Old 05-19-2021, 07:35 AM
guapoman2000

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
I can't go to Orlando without stopping by Graves.

We were at Universal and I made a quick trip over and the wife was "I knew something about this trip would turn into RC!"

It's quite the candy store for RC junkies

Next time you are there, ask someone to give you a quick tour of the newer large stock facility in the rear of the store. You need to pass shipping department and you will see the large Storage Area that consists of a stock better than anyone in the South East!

Ask for Marker to give you the tour.
Old 05-28-2021, 11:04 AM
use2busa

I went there and I ended up buying the pandora 4in1 cessna trainer. Seemed like the perfect option for me as a beginner. I got the plane in and opened the box to take a look at it and as soon as I opened the box I could see it was true quality unlike the crap I got from bananahobby.com I didnt know there could be so much of a difference between epo foam .. Its amazing. the Pandora was solid, resilient to the touch. very stiff. whereas the banana crap was weak and almost spongy by comparison. I cant wait to get it together. I even had a rudder servo go out on the banana plane and I havent even tried to fly it yet. I was just making adjustment to it. Geesh
Old 05-28-2021, 11:07 AM
use2busa

It was frustrating but no in no way has it deterred me from this hobby. Ive put off getting back into it long enough. I will never be able to get into it like some of you guys but thats ok. As long as Im happy thats all that matters. And I appreciate the feedback and suggestions and help. It really goes a long way.
Old 05-28-2021, 11:11 AM
use2busa

You know I dont know if this forum has this already or not but I was thinking that it would be a HUGE help to new people like me if there was a pinned thread that had a list of rc websites that people here think are the best and also a pinned thread with the worst. banana hobby would be at the top of that list for me!. just a thought
Old 05-28-2021, 12:09 PM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Crap, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. Banana Hobby planes have always seemed to me to be high-middle end products. Not E-flite or Motion R/C but way better than Dynam or HobbyKing.
Larry
Old 12-31-2021, 04:22 AM
guapoman2000

Any thoughts on the new X-Fly PJ65 Business jet?

Like to see your comments on anyone thinking of pulling the trigger on this model which is being sold at Banana Hobby?

Don't be shy! LOL!
Old 01-31-2022, 11:28 PM
claudiobakst

Well they have it down solid now. Let the BBB complaints rack up, reopen under a new name, change the graphics and look of the site, copy and paste all the descriptions and other site code then finally publish. Just that easy, now they have yet another site up but the new one has zero BBB complaints so they start all over. They don't have to worry if the old sites don't make enough money since the new ones will.
Old 02-01-2022, 04:43 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

It's amazing that people who buy cheap, foamy ARFs complain about companies who sell cheap, foamy ARFs.
Old 06-15-2023, 09:16 PM
guapoman2000

Originally Posted by claudiobakst
Well they have it down solid now. Let the BBB complaints rack up, reopen under a new name, change the graphics and look of the site, copy and paste all the descriptions and other site code then finally publish. Just that easy, now they have yet another site up but the new one has zero BBB complaints so they start all over. They don't have to worry if the old sites don't make enough money since the new ones will.
Yes, I noticed that!
They also advertise (if not the company themselves then, other individuals for them) at Facebook and keep advertising the pride and joy the large EDF Jet known as B-1B Lancer! If you have Facebook it will be all over there!

Here is their direct link to this EDF Jet and presently on Sale for $50 less....

https://www.bananahobby.com/8-ch-xfl...f-jet-pnp.html
Old 06-16-2023, 04:57 PM
xviper-1

Wow, this is a VERY old thread from 2008 and before yesterday, a year and a half ago.
Admittedly, Banana Hobby has come a LONG way since the old days of crap products and crap service. I hadn't purchased anything from them in years until only a few months ago when I bought their MiG-17. It was the only game in town. I had one years ago and got rid of it. I longed for another, so I took another chance and got one. I immediately changed out the EDF and ESC for a stronger one. So far, so good.
As far as this B-1B, for at least Canadians, we are far, far better off buying this from Great Hobbies and pick it up at one of their stores. Shipping will run you a bit more as it has an oversize surcharge. The next best place to buy is from RC Castle. Even with the costly shipping, it will still end up being cheaper that buying it from Banana.
As far as their latest marketing guy, Ralph, he has the online personality of a bag of warm, raw chicken. He has absolutely no interpersonal skills and has no tolerance for criticism of his new company or of himself. He is the WORST PR guy the company could have hired. As for those two guys who did all the promos for the B-1B, they are refugees from MotionRC. I don't know the circumstances behind their departure from MRC, but you can tell by their online personas, there are some sour grapes in the fridge. They pitch that B-1B like they were being paid for it - oh wait, they ARE being paid for it. When they were testing the prototype planes for Banana, they were secretive, defensive of any and all comments that they did not wish to entertain. It was a very poor show.
I have ordered one, but NOT from Banana. I found their pitch men at RCG were distasteful and offensive and that in itself turns me off Banana. Their "customer relations" are appalling - learn some PR skills, boys! Grow some thicker skin and learn how to handle criticism.
Old 07-13-2023, 07:19 AM
xviper-1

Since my last post here, Ralph is now the "former" PR/marketing guy for Banana Hobby. Don't know if he quit or if he got fired. As for the Xfly B-1B bomber, just 2 days after my last post, the Banana boys announced in a Facebook video that there is a defect in the wing sweep tab. A hairline crack from the manufacturing process was painted over. More than just ONE plane has had that tab break, causing the wing sweep to come loose. In fact, several have now failed and it is unknown if it is this defect that caused the first couple of B-1's to fall out of the sky. Banana is making light of the situation. They knew about this defect and already has a reinforcement part that they will SELL you - Nice, huh?
I have since CANCELLED my B-1 from Great Hobbies - just another nice looking, but EXPENSIVE, plane from Banana Hobby that needs a lot of work to fly safely. Plus, NO customer service to make things right. Furthermore, it is now known that flying this plane off grass will very quickly gum up those fancy retracts and cause them to seize.
Once again, after all these years - Banana Hobby - BUYER BEWARE!
PS. This plane was brought to market by Banana Hobby. They were involved in the design and testing process. Other Xfly products that were NOT directly associated with Banana may in fact, be "adequate".
Old 08-07-2023, 08:10 PM
tedbmoss

Talking banana hobby sucks

Yes I knew long before you all that banana hobby is the pits, they are robbers, just trying to take advantage of the poor ignorant non-Chinese.