Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

R/C Twist for C/L??

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 03:52 AM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default R/C Twist for C/L??

I was in the shop last weekend straightening up & came across an R/C Twist model i had crashed & repaired, but never flew again. It got me wondering how it would perform if i converted it over to C/L. Any thoughts or suggestions on this ? I'm not looking for a stellar performer, just something to let the grandson play with & possibly re-ignite his interest. I flew it originally with an os .40 & it lugged the R/C equipment around Ok. It would get us in the air fast if you think its feesible???......Gene
Old 01-17-2013, 04:05 AM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: R/C Twist for C/L??

As a U/C model, I would use a .45 or a .51 on it.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:55 AM
clscale-RCU
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have converted lots of RC models to CL, the largest being the 1/4 scale Sig Morrisey Bravo, most of them are in the 36" to 60" span. Install a bellcrank, leadout guide and the motor and you are good to go. The leadout guide and the CG location determines the line tension, the bellcrank location is not as critical as the leadout position.

Now that the AMA has approved 2.4 Ghz for CL, you could even install a 2.4 Ghz reciever for the throttle if you so desire. All of my CL scale models are converted RC models with 2.4 Ghz controls for the flaps, throttle, retracts, etc. The elevator is controlled by a bellcrank.

You might need some wiingtip weight, but I have ommitted that on some models with no problems.

Fred Cronenwett
Old 01-19-2013, 01:15 PM
PWF63

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As you say Fred, the position of the bellcrank isn't that critical as long as you have the front leadout on the CG.
Is that what you would do? I do this on all my CL models wether they be CL or converted RC models

Fredo
(Fred Pearson)
Old 01-19-2013, 02:13 PM
gene6029

Guys,Thats the type of information i was hopeing to hear. I was concerned about the position of the bell crank & leadouts. I plan on putting in a bit of rudder too. I'll put a weight box in the outboard wing & couple the flaps ( with minimal movement) opposite the elevator movement. Any suggestions on line length? Its been over 30 years since i flew anything larger that .049 models & that was just teaching the grandson how to fly.......Gene
Old 01-19-2013, 02:41 PM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

A guy in my R/C club has a very similar model converted. I flew it on New Years day and had a good time. It looped real well and flew inverted nice. C/L models generally take a bit bigger engine to deal with the line drag. 60' lines (0.018" diameter)are pretty standard with engines in the suggested range.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:24 PM
gene6029

Thanks for the feed back once again. I was talking about this project at the field today with some of the members & got them pumped up about it! Seems they havent flown C/L in 30 years or so too. It would be neat to get a resurgance going.....Gene
Old 01-20-2013, 11:26 AM
Rubbernecker
My Feedback: (22)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds fun Gene. Make an adjustable leadout so you can adjust it or just purchase one from Brodak. Start with 60 foot lines and shorten if needed. A friend of mine and I few the heck out of U-control this summer. I have a Goldberg Buster covered in silk with an OS FP 20 on it. Flies great however I stuffed it while flying inverted. Not much damage. He and I are coming to the Vintage Fly-in in NC this year. I have a Veco Chief on the building board that I hope to be done with by then.

Take Care,

John
Old 01-20-2013, 12:41 PM
gene6029

Kool John! Looking foreward to the event myself. Just trying to get the grandson back interested again, who knows maybe I'll be flying C/L again by then.....Gene
Old 01-21-2013, 12:09 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Gene maybe something over a year ago I came up with with a control line traner using what had been a RC Quickee pylon racer and The transition went from a Nelson .40 to a little magnum .15 and as an intro airplane that flys on fairly long line its been pretty successful.

I built it for a friends 15 year old daughter. That airplane is her prized possesion. We have also kitted up four more But here is the full story and also I choose to use a quick adjustable leadout that you can see in the pictures:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10752510/tm.htm

John
Old 01-22-2013, 09:53 AM
gene6029

Thanks John. That was interesting & got my wheels turning.....Gene
Old 01-22-2013, 07:07 PM
clscale-RCU
My Feedback: (7)

I have two models with absolutely no rudder, and they fly great. So you don't have to have a rudder for CL.

Fred C.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:07 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Gene sorry I am late getting back. Yes what fred is saying right rudder is not normally even required. I choose to use all the tricks avalible on that airplane because it mission is strickly an introductory airplane and the whole idea was to give it the ability to fly on the longest lines possible with a .15 engine and it was and is successful flys sixty footers well even in light breezes.

I also would like to add that clscale-RCU fred above was my inspiration quite a few years back when he wrote an artical on over the wire throttle systems I suppose it was around eighteen years ago and think it was model aviation. I did end up with a Bill Young system and it was the miracle that allowed me to continue actively flying in my wheelchair. That system is dated now and has its own special set of problem and I have been in the process of converting over to 2.4 throttles as I beleve fred may have.

Fred I loved the pictures you made of yourself with that large converted stick airplane in the air a long time back at the basin.

John
Old 04-09-2013, 12:45 AM
tokpilot

Currently I have a CAP kit from Great Britan of the SBD and doing it C/L
This is going to have flaps, throtle ,retract landing gear,trimable airelons,and a trimable rudder operated by RC.
I like to build scale and put these items in them.
I get the best of both I have the feel of my airplane in my hand and control everything but the elevator by RC
Once I have all my jigs built I will start a build log.
Airplane has a 69 inch wing span and I have a NOS Fox 78 I plan to use Radio is a Airtronics Stylist
Old 04-09-2013, 03:13 PM
gene6029

I think that allowing R/C to control multiple functions (other than the elevator) is a huge move foreward for C/L. I have been reading and have seen many homebuilt handles with R/C systems built in & think thats its great. Thanks for all the help guys....Gene
Old 05-24-2013, 06:52 PM
SnApRoLl-

I know this is an old thread, but how did the twist turn out? I built a Q-500 kit years ago and did a little kit bashing and turned it into a hot c/l with an old Super Tiger .61. It was fast and it was a blast!!!

Shawn
Old 06-15-2013, 07:58 AM
radioman

i have a sig 4-star 40 thats partly built i wonder if that would make a good c/l model
Old 06-15-2013, 10:01 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: gene6029

I think that allowing R/C to control multiple functions (other than the elevator) is a huge move foreward for C/L. I have been reading and have seen many homebuilt handles with R/C systems built in & think thats its great. Thanks for all the help guys....Gene
I am building a 2.4 ghz handle. Just got the tx a few days ago. I am going to use quick change line plates on the handle so that I have one handle, but the line plates will be for individual planes.Will use 1 loop of braided spider wire with a locking nut for centering the line. When stored the line is just wrapped around the line plate (a line plate for each plane).

I will post some pics and a link when it is done.

For those of us getting older I look at throttle control as an important safety issue. You can slow down or and land when your body says it is time (dizzy, vertigo, ect). Besides I have found that when flying rc my favorite thing is just shooting touch and goes.

Ken

Old 06-15-2013, 10:02 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: radioman

i have a sig 4-star 40 thats partly built i wonder if that would make a good c/l model
Anything with wings will fly CL. Now IIRC - bash me if I am wrong - but I seem to recall that the 4-Star was NOT a fully symetrical wing. That will then preclude good CL Stunt patterns, If you simply wish to mostly go around in circles, or modify for carrier or such, the 4-Star should definitely be a great SPORT CL flier.
Of course with ample power, and a 4-star wing one could do inverted flight because such was done with RC simply by holding adequate 'down elevator' in the normal down position so as to load the wing into a lifting position while inverted. It can be done!
I have a 4-star 60 with a Magnum .60 that flies inverted very well, yet one has to be holding that down elevator to do as stated above. Now I was always thinking that a "Magnum" was a piece of crap, until I bought this whole unit in a swap shop. This Magnum is an excellent engine. Easy starts, excellent power and runs very well over the entire maneuver spectrum that I can do. I have no doubt that a 4-star 40 would fly very well CL with any .29, .35, .40, or whatever. Do remember that the normal dowel. front and Back-Screw wing attachment is not well designed for side-loads like CL will present. That may take a bit of looking at.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:17 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

ORIGINAL: radioman

Anything with wings will fly CL. Now IIRC - bash me if I am wrong - but I seem to recall that the 4-Star was NOT a fully symetrical wing. That will then preclude good CL Stunt patterns, If you simply wish to mostly go around in circles, or modify for carrier or such, the 4-Star should definitely be a great SPORT CL flier.
Of course with ample power, and a 4-star wing one could do inverted flight because such was done with RC simply by holding adequate 'down elevator' in the normal down position so as to load the wing into a lifting position while inverted. It can be done!
I have a 4-star 60 with a Magnum .60 that flies inverted very well, yet one has to be holding that down elevator to do as stated above. Now I was always thinking that a "Magnum" was a piece of crap, until I bought this whole unit in a swap shop. This Magnum is an excellent engine. Easy starts, excellent power and runs very well over the entire maneuver spectrum that I can do. I have no doubt that a 4-star 40 would fly very well CL with any .29, .35, .40, or whatever. Do remember that the normal dowel. front and Back-Screw wing attachment is not well designed for side-loads like CL will present. That may take a bit of looking at.
Really good pointHossfly

I have never had a 4-star but I dont recall that the front of the wing is sheeted. If that is correct then it would be very easy to add to the ribs to make a symmetrical foil (I would not take anything off the top), just labor and time.

I had not thought a bought the typical rc type wing mounting not being ideal fo cl because of the side loads. Sure glad you mentioned that, as all my planes (except very small ones) must have removable wings for transport and storage, small car, limited storage. I have the ribs cut out for a st .51 powered plane. I will have to give the wing mounting some thought.

Ken

Old 06-15-2013, 03:18 PM
radioman

thanks for the input now will the dihedral cause me any problems as for wing mounting i think ill epoxy the wing on and run a sheet of balsa from just in front of the wing to just behind it on the bottom of the fuse