Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

newbie help

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 08:09 PM
Dr.Weasel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie help

A while back i bought the cox j-3 cub trainer and had some fun with it so i have decided to venture farther into the C/L world and build my own plane. Please help me and post maybe web sites or something with plans. (Keep in mind that i have the aviation merit badge in scouts so i do know the basics of an airplane)

Thanks
Old 02-29-2004, 08:46 PM
Elwyn

Default RE: newbie help

Here's a site with lots of plans. Should be something here of interest.

http://www.controllineplans.com/
Old 02-29-2004, 10:21 PM
clscale-RCU
My Feedback: (7)

also try www.brodak.com

great kits and lots of the support equipement

If you are interested in throttle controlled airplanes I have some information that will make it easier.

Fred Cronenwett
CL scale and carrier
Old 03-01-2004, 07:58 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dr.Weasel,
I am assuming that you want to use the product engine that came with your Cub for power. If so, check out the Brodak site listed above and look at their 1/2A airplanes designed for a "radial" mount. This will be the ones with the flat mount on the front. The ones with a forked front-end are for "beam" mounted engines.
Another "radial mounted" plane is the Skyray from Sig Manufacturing. It has a sheet balsa wing and is easy to build. If you have not built models before, this would be an excellent choice.
When you mount your engine you must make a choice: to buy a tank and backplate that fits on your engine or modify the existing mount to use your engine (assuming a Sure Start engine) and adding an external tank. If you do either of these, come back and ask; we can supply you with information on how to proceed.
If you opt for a larger plane, let us know what size and someone will be able to help. Generally, the smaller ones are harder to break but also harder to fly. Since you already know how to fly, you have more options.
Are you still in Scouts? This is my 23rd year with the BSA.

George
Old 03-01-2004, 10:30 AM
Dr.Weasel

First off what and how does a throttle control plane work.
Second my cub uses a string line but i have heard of wire lines and stuff like that. whats up?
yes i'm still a scout. Going for (star)
Old 03-01-2004, 11:22 AM
Old Sourdough

Dr. W,

Before I feel comfortable doing my good turn today by offering more advice, I'd like to verify that you are indeed a Scout. Please confirm by naming the thirteenth point of the Scout Law.

The OS & SM

Edit: BTW, the red wool jacket in my avatar has a compass in the R/H pocket and the BSA emblem on the L/H pocket, should you desire some credential from me.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:31 PM
Kiwi

Default RE: CL Newbie

ORIGINAL: Dr.Weasel

First off, what and how does a throttle control plane work? Second, my cub uses a string line, but i(I) have heard of wire lines and stuff like that. whats up? y(Y)es, i{I}'m still a scout. Going for (star)
First for me: Does the teacher know you're visiting a model site online during the computer class? If so, good for him/her! (Oh, blast! I forgot how weird the time stamps are sometimes for messages here! They seem to don't bear any discernable relationship to any "real time zones", so that in-school time stamp might not be "in-school" at all, I don't suppose!)

Second: Always use as good of a skill in English as you have when online where adults might go. Most of us hate to try reading the childish writing manners that kids use in instant messaging, text messaging, and on chat lines! So we probably won't bother answering if the manners are really bad.

You don't need to add the difficulties of a third line, or some expensive electronics, to the plain manual skills of flying a CL plane. Throttling a CL plane isn't at all simple.

The strings that come with the Cox plane sets will stretch way too much and are very draggy, so they have to be short, which makes flying quite difficult. I will add the URL for a web site on which the specific interests of Junior (that's an AMA class, and AMA is the national club that more modellers belong to than to anything else we are involved in)-age fliers are addressed in some detail.

Try to find a full-service hobby shop you can get to and see about ordering Brodak supplies there, or order by mail via the internet. You need .012 by 35' braided wire to start with, and don't twist the lines more than they are already -- unroll them by sticking a finger in the center hole and allowing the lines to roll off. Don't let any loops drop off the sides of the reel. When re-rolling, insert an index finger from each hand in the holes and wind the lines up, don't "wrap them" around the reel from the sides.
[&o]
When you get "good" at flying, and can maintain your equipment as well or better than any adult, exchange the .012's for .008 by 35' braided lines for flying in grass, that's really all you will need by then. Starting out, braided lines that thin are going to be too easily damaged and ruined as you learn what you need to know. But even adults with plenty of experience are likely to keep using 012's on hard surfaces (lots of abrasion wear on the lines from the grit on a paved or concrete surface).

(Edit: I've not been at all well impressed with the suitability of Norvel's products for beginners. The fits are quite often purely ridiculously tight. The limitations on warranty service are extrememly poor business practice. If the engine out of the RTF plane is unusable, the Cox engines are much, much more user-friendly than the Norvels.) The SIG (Baby) Skyray kit makes into a very good primary trainer.

Eventually, you will reach the point at which the limitations of an .049 motor are hindering your progress. There are a number of RC engines in the .10 size that will work fine with a SIG Akromaster after you wire the throttle open, or get someone's aftermarket venturi insert. This next size up is far better for learning a few stunts and for flying when the weather isn't absolutely perfect.

This is a place where many of the CL web site URL's are all collected in one place. Phil Brown hosts the clearing house. It's a good one for a "Favorite".

http://home.att.net/~philbrown36641s5/clhomepage.html

Heman Lee's site has free plans and other helpful information for folks like you to download, if you want to try scratchbuilding just from sheets of balsa wood.

http://www.aeromaniacs.com/

Kiwi

[8D]
Old 03-01-2004, 10:16 PM
Dr.Weasel

Thanks guys I think i'm going to go with the Sig Skyray and and Norvel Big Mig. Does that sound ok? Do any of you know where I can get engine parts for my Cox sure start .049? I shattered the mounts on the choke tube (nose dive). Its funny i actually was in computer class. It was ok with my teacher after i finished a test.

Thank,
The Doc.

P.S. A scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, reverent and always hungry. ( had to bust my book out for some of those)
Old 03-02-2004, 04:36 AM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

[link=http://spadworld.net/viewtopic.php?t=715&highlight=control]Coroplast CL 1/2 airplane. [/link]
Get the coro from the local gas station. It is used to make the pop, beer and cig signs that they change monthly and throw away. Get the 4 mil stuff not the 2 mil if they carry it. Usually all signage is made from 4 mil as it holds up to weather better. Thriftyness at its best. Free that is.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:06 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys I think i'm going to go with the Sig Skyray and and Norvel Big Mig. Does that sound ok? Do any of you know where I can get engine parts for my Cox sure start .049? I shattered the mounts on the choke tube (nose dive). Its funny i actually was in computer class. It was ok with my teacher after i finished a test.

Thank,
The Doc.

P.S. A scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, reverent and always hungry. ( had to bust my book out for some of those)
I would suggest the "Startup" for your first BigMig engine. It comes with tank and spring starter. You might want to shorten the front of the fuselage about 1/2" for the large Norvel tank.
If you really only broke the choke tube, it will run without it. The engine used to come without the choke tube. If you need the mount, do a search on Cox engines or see your local hobby shop.
The throttle is usually done with a three-wire control system and is usually only used for scale or carrier airplanes. I would wait a bit for those.

When I was SM my SPL would usually start the troop meetings with the Pledge OF Allegiance and end with either the Scout Oath or the 12 points of the Scout Law in a friendship circle. This helped new Scouts learn them.

George

PS. As you cut out or trim the parts of the Skyray, trace them on the back of the plan so you can make a replacement part when (not if) you break one.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:25 PM
Old Sourdough

DW,

A First Class Scout should know The Scout Oath, The Scout Law, The Scout Motto, and Slogan. You'd better brush up before that Star Board of Review. The best way to learn these and have them stick is to teach them to the new Scouts in the troop if it's OK with the Troop Guide.

I learned as much asbout the basics of CL flight teaching it as I by did flying.
Old 03-06-2004, 12:52 AM
Dr.Weasel

Ok heres the story, yesterday i dove my cox cub straight into the ground(accident). Its a goner, smashed to bit. So i'm moving on. Since i'm a poor 14 years old and dont start working till april (hopefully). I,m going to build a cheep coroplast plane. Does this plane look good?

http://users3.ev1.net/%7Ecdjump/main...e/gallery.html

Do you guys think my (Cox.049 sure start) will handle this plane well? What do you guys suggest?
I'm going to get the Norvel big mig .061 this april to handle it.

Thanks
The Doc.

P.S. I dont have my hpi savage 25 yet and my cox cub is in peices still i have no life but the nitro hobby world.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:51 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Doc:

They show a reedy Cox in the pictures, so youors should be fine.

They also call it a speed plane, which I'm sure it is not, but it might be faster than you want.

Bill.