Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

preflight

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 07:20 AM
eloso6297

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default preflight

I have read a few of the posts and realized that I am far from alone in experiencing the disastrous effects of a poor preflight. I am a victim of the "oops, didnt remember that one," too. I had a preflight written out, and before maidening my GP Cessna, I thought I remembered everything. That was the killer, I thought. I didn't read the list that I had written.

I got so caught up in the fact that the engine was finally running perfect, the weather was exceptional for the season, and it was tracking great, that I forgot to check all the surfaces. My elevator was reversed, and I found this out with a bang upon take off.

It is such a bone head mistake that I am embarrassed to post it, except for the fact that it might stick in someone who reads this mind so it wont happen to them.

May all your flights return in as many pieces as they left.

JJ

Enough of the sob story. Here is my usual preflight, post as many of yours as you can, and perhaps the perfect preflight ritual can be realized through shared success and misery. It is also important to note that I fly in an area that has only one other R/C Pilot. I dont have to worry about freqs, etc.

1. Batteries RX/TX
2. Function check, Aileron, rudder/nose, elevator, throttle, flap, retract, etc...
3. Clevis and Clevis keepers (these little devils have hurt me before, just a habit)
4. Extend antenna on TX
5. Wind direction/ strength

Any additions to this are welcome, and I am sure that there will be many. Please remember I meant this as a tool to help the majority, none of us know it all. Please try and keep the comments constructive rather than demeaning.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:33 AM
barto

Default RE: preflight

For computer radio users:

- check if you selected the right model BEFORE turning the TX on. Just in case you switch from gas to electro as the engine might start running as soon as the TX is turned on.

- check if the throttle stick is in idle before turning the TX on.

Bart
Old 11-12-2006, 07:50 AM
heli_Rod

- check if you selected the right model BEFORE turning the TX on. Just in case you switch from gas to electro as the engine might start running as soon as the TX is turned on.

Bart
If you fly helis, even more important, be sure that you have selected the correct model. I have flown one then forget to switch the model in the radio and the throttle was reversed when I started it. Nothing like a handful of .91 engine at full throttle that has a 8.45:1 gear ratio advantage. Needless to say the damage to the clutch ...and my wrist!

Also, all the switches need to be in the correct position before starting or flying. It can get ugly really fast if they aren't.
[sm=disappointed.gif]

Rod
Old 11-12-2006, 08:33 AM
Flying freak

When assempling the plane a couple things i look for

servos tray is it loose (i hade one come un done im my traiener thankfull it didnt do much as it was wedged in place but still somthing i cheack
engine/firwall give the muffler a shack you should have no play in it if you do eather the muffler is loose or your engine/motor mount/firwalll has a problem at that point its a good idea to remove the cowl.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:32 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yesturday one of my planes failed preflight for a simple little screw fell out and the strut rod between the horizontal and virtical stabs. The plane is a Sig Somthing Extra and it probably would be just fine but I have other planes to fly so I parked it for the day. anyway:

Fuel topped off (I never go up with a partial tank as it's to hard to guesstimate flight time)
1ST!!! Do you have your frequency pin!
Old 11-12-2006, 10:55 AM
The Toolman

Forgot to turn to low rates on a really, really manuverable Spad plane. Re-kitted sortof $3 worth of new gutter pipe for the fuz and away we go again.

Ronnie
Old 11-12-2006, 03:39 PM
spad

I think more to the point is to turn-on the Tx BEFORE turning on the model. That way you can check that the right model is selected before doing yourself or anybody else some damage.
Just for interest, this is a basic pass/fail point when taking the BMFA (British Model Flying Association) certificates. The BMFA are the people that underwrite most peoples insurance here in the UK. Very safety minded aorganisation, but it certainly strikes me as sensible to do it in that sequence, particularly as computer radios seem to go through some kind of state of suspended activity (1/2 sec?) when first turned on.

Just my 2 penn'orth

cheers
Rick

ORIGINAL: barto

Bart
Old 11-12-2006, 04:20 PM
Jim C.

[link]http://jimsrc.com/preflight.html[/link] print it out and laminate it and keep it in your field box or something.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:58 PM
bbbair

#! "Function Check" is important; BUT be sure that the controls are working in the CORRECT WAY!!!

Wiggling the ailerons does NOT confirm that Left is Left and Right is Right... know what you are looking at! []

#2 Do a range check every morning; before the first flight! [X(]

#3 Weekly if not Daily check all retaining bolts on the engine, A loose engine is not a happy engine.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:24 PM
barto

ORIGINAL: spad

I think more to the point is to turn-on the Tx BEFORE turning on the model. That way you can check that the right model is selected before doing yourself or anybody else some damage.

Bart

Yep, that's actually what I meanth but it was kind of late

Bart
Old 11-13-2006, 05:30 PM
spad

ORIGINAL: spad

Bart

Yep, that's actually what I meanth but it was kind of late

Bart
roger that, Bart - know what you mean!!

cheers
Rick